capacitive loading an opamp

Started by John Larkin December 30, 2011
I wonder whether all his time is spent on researching his CV.
On Jan 2, 2:03=A0am, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> BillSlomanwrote: > > On Dec 31 2011, 7:05 pm, Jamie > > <jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1l...@charter.net> wrote: > >> Joerg wrote: > >>> Oppie wrote: > >>>> "Spehro Pefhany" <speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in messag=
> >> charm right in now :) > > > Jim Williams, Bob Pease and Robert Widlar are dead, Bob Widlar for > > some years now. > > > Dan Banerjee still seems to be with us, but since he works for > > National Semiconductor, Joerg probably doesn't authorise enough parts > > per year to qualify for his interest. > > You and your premature conclusions :-) > > Dean actually answered one of the more unorthodox inquiries I had in > person. National impressed the heck out of me when he did, that was good > customer service. Bob Pease did, too, by the way. The only company that > could rival that in my cases is Linear Technology, and back in the old > days Analog Devices. > > > You seem to be even more out of touch with reality than Jim Thopmson, > > who does still seem to know about electronics gurus, presumably > > because he's yet to lose contact with the realities of electronics. > > So what kinds of products have you designed lately? Say, last year?
Have you been spending time with John Larkin? Whenever I correct one of his nonsense off-topic posts, he tries to get back at me by asking that question. The answer is - as you well know - none. The Dutch electronics industry is of the opinion that anybody over 55 ought to retire and that anybody over 65 is retired, and I'm 69, so I'm retired, whether I like it or not. I don't - as I mention here from time to time - but I don't have the contacts or the attitude necessary to set up a consulting business of my own, so I'm stuck with it. You've give me good advice on the subject which I'd need a personality transplant to be able to follow - I'm grateful for it, but it's not advice I'm equipped to exploit. I'm still fooling around with my variant on the Baxandall Class-D oscillator, but have yet to get beyond LTspice into gEDA to create a schematic of a circuit that I could build. I should probably talk to my GP about anti-depressants, but can't be bothered ... -- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
On Jan 2, 5:45=A0am, mrstar...@gmail.com wrote:
> I wonder whether all his time is spent on researching his CV.
That another thing I started but am not making any progress on. I've got print-out of all my weekly reports - nominally directed to my bosses but actually circulated to the whole project team - for the three years of the electron beam tester project at Cambridge Instruments (the one which featured Gigabit Logics GaAs logic clocked at 800MHz for the coarse timing). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/016793179090015L I've scanned in - and edited - the first six months worth, but can't be bothered getting on with getting through the rest. -- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> writes:

> On Jan 2, 2:03&nbsp;am, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote: >> BillSlomanwrote: >> > On Dec 31 2011, 7:05 pm, Jamie >> > <jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1l...@charter.net> wrote: >> >> Joerg wrote: >> >>> Oppie wrote: >> >>>> "Spehro Pefhany" <speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message >> >>>>news:g3vsf7pfm1v2cbp1cmmp2lnd2jp4qugn1c@4ax.com... >> >>>>> I figured that out while I was still in high school- that app notes >> >>>>> were generally not written by anyone resembling a practicing engineer. >> >>>>> Mostly by being bitten by their example circuits. >> >>>> With a few notable exceptions like Jim Williams. >> >>>> I really miss his crumby scope photos and clear writing style that not >> >>>> only sold parts but helped us to understand WHY things worked. There are >> >>>> many trade-offs in a design and understanding the basics puts a value on >> >>>> those choices. >> >>> Yep. A good engineer quickly learns to first look at the author's name. >> >>> If that is Jim Williams, Bob Pease, Robert Widlar, Dean Banerjee or one >> >>> of the other gurus I know it's good stuff. >> >> &nbsp; Oh boy, you know how to get brownie points. Was there something a >> >> mystery you've been working on lately? I am sure one of those guys will >> >> charm right in now :) >> >> > Jim Williams, Bob Pease and Robert Widlar are dead, Bob Widlar for >> > some years now. >> >> > Dan Banerjee still seems to be with us, but since he works for >> > National Semiconductor, Joerg probably doesn't authorise enough parts >> > per year to qualify for his interest. >> >> You and your premature conclusions :-) >> >> Dean actually answered one of the more unorthodox inquiries I had in >> person. National impressed the heck out of me when he did, that was good >> customer service. Bob Pease did, too, by the way. The only company that >> could rival that in my cases is Linear Technology, and back in the old >> days Analog Devices. >> >> > You seem to be even more out of touch with reality than Jim Thopmson, >> > who does still seem to know about electronics gurus, presumably >> > because he's yet to lose contact with the realities of electronics. >> >> So what kinds of products have you designed lately? Say, last year? > > Have you been spending time with John Larkin? Whenever I correct one > of his nonsense off-topic posts, he tries to get back at me by asking > that question. > > The answer is - as you well know - none. The Dutch electronics > industry is of the opinion that anybody over 55 ought to retire and > that anybody over 65 is retired, and I'm 69, so I'm retired, whether I > like it or not. I don't - as I mention here from time to time - but I > don't have the contacts or the attitude necessary to set up a > consulting business of my own, so I'm stuck with it. You've give me > good advice on the subject which I'd need a personality transplant to > be able to follow - I'm grateful for it, but it's not advice I'm > equipped to exploit. > > I'm still fooling around with my variant on the Baxandall Class-D > oscillator, but have yet to get beyond LTspice into gEDA to create a > schematic of a circuit that I could build. I should probably talk to > my GP about anti-depressants, but can't be bothered ...
Yeah, I keep forgetting to ask mine about my memory problems... Seriously, I know depression is no joke. You don't at all need to make a PCB, just a soldering iron and a piece of copper-clad FR4 is all I use for most circuits like that. Or even do it Jim Williams / Jan style "air wiring". <http://www.linear.com/images/general/AnalogCircuitDesignCover.jpg> -- John Devereux
Bill Sloman wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2:03 am, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote: >> BillSlomanwrote: >>> On Dec 31 2011, 7:05 pm, Jamie >>> <jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1l...@charter.net> wrote: >>>> Joerg wrote: >>>>> Oppie wrote: >>>>>> "Spehro Pefhany" <speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message >>>>>> news:g3vsf7pfm1v2cbp1cmmp2lnd2jp4qugn1c@4ax.com... >>>>>>> I figured that out while I was still in high school- that app notes >>>>>>> were generally not written by anyone resembling a practicing engineer. >>>>>>> Mostly by being bitten by their example circuits. >>>>>> With a few notable exceptions like Jim Williams. >>>>>> I really miss his crumby scope photos and clear writing style that not >>>>>> only sold parts but helped us to understand WHY things worked. There are >>>>>> many trade-offs in a design and understanding the basics puts a value on >>>>>> those choices. >>>>> Yep. A good engineer quickly learns to first look at the author's name. >>>>> If that is Jim Williams, Bob Pease, Robert Widlar, Dean Banerjee or one >>>>> of the other gurus I know it's good stuff. >>>> Oh boy, you know how to get brownie points. Was there something a >>>> mystery you've been working on lately? I am sure one of those guys will >>>> charm right in now :) >>> Jim Williams, Bob Pease and Robert Widlar are dead, Bob Widlar for >>> some years now. >>> Dan Banerjee still seems to be with us, but since he works for >>> National Semiconductor, Joerg probably doesn't authorise enough parts >>> per year to qualify for his interest. >> You and your premature conclusions :-) >> >> Dean actually answered one of the more unorthodox inquiries I had in >> person. National impressed the heck out of me when he did, that was good >> customer service. Bob Pease did, too, by the way. The only company that >> could rival that in my cases is Linear Technology, and back in the old >> days Analog Devices. >> >>> You seem to be even more out of touch with reality than Jim Thopmson, >>> who does still seem to know about electronics gurus, presumably >>> because he's yet to lose contact with the realities of electronics. >> So what kinds of products have you designed lately? Say, last year? > > Have you been spending time with John Larkin? Whenever I correct one > of his nonsense off-topic posts, he tries to get back at me by asking > that question. > > The answer is - as you well know - none. ...
So how can you accuse people of being about to lose contact with electronics when yuo already have? Not that I find anything wrong with that, I might switch to brewing beer or whatever when I retire, but then I would not say such things here. In fact, I wouldn't even say them right now.
> ... The Dutch electronics > industry is of the opinion that anybody over 55 ought to retire and > that anybody over 65 is retired, and I'm 69, so I'm retired, whether I > like it or not. I don't - as I mention here from time to time - but I > don't have the contacts or the attitude necessary to set up a > consulting business of my own, so I'm stuck with it. You've give me > good advice on the subject which I'd need a personality transplant to > be able to follow - I'm grateful for it, but it's not advice I'm > equipped to exploit. >
"Not equipped to exploit"? That is what I completely fail to understand.
> I'm still fooling around with my variant on the Baxandall Class-D > oscillator, but have yet to get beyond LTspice into gEDA to create a > schematic of a circuit that I could build. I should probably talk to > my GP about anti-depressants, but can't be bothered ... >
Hint: LTSpice already makes a schematic that is good enough, so you can flick that switch on the Weller already :-) -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 02:41:52 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman
<bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:

>On Jan 2, 2:03&#4294967295;am, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote: >> BillSlomanwrote: >> > On Dec 31 2011, 7:05 pm, Jamie >> > <jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1l...@charter.net> wrote: >> >> Joerg wrote: >> >>> Oppie wrote: >> >>>> "Spehro Pefhany" <speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message >> >>>>news:g3vsf7pfm1v2cbp1cmmp2lnd2jp4qugn1c@4ax.com... >> >>>>> I figured that out while I was still in high school- that app notes >> >>>>> were generally not written by anyone resembling a practicing engineer. >> >>>>> Mostly by being bitten by their example circuits. >> >>>> With a few notable exceptions like Jim Williams. >> >>>> I really miss his crumby scope photos and clear writing style that not >> >>>> only sold parts but helped us to understand WHY things worked. There are >> >>>> many trade-offs in a design and understanding the basics puts a value on >> >>>> those choices. >> >>> Yep. A good engineer quickly learns to first look at the author's name. >> >>> If that is Jim Williams, Bob Pease, Robert Widlar, Dean Banerjee or one >> >>> of the other gurus I know it's good stuff. >> >> &#4294967295; Oh boy, you know how to get brownie points. Was there something a >> >> mystery you've been working on lately? I am sure one of those guys will >> >> charm right in now :) >> >> > Jim Williams, Bob Pease and Robert Widlar are dead, Bob Widlar for >> > some years now. >> >> > Dan Banerjee still seems to be with us, but since he works for >> > National Semiconductor, Joerg probably doesn't authorise enough parts >> > per year to qualify for his interest. >> >> You and your premature conclusions :-) >> >> Dean actually answered one of the more unorthodox inquiries I had in >> person. National impressed the heck out of me when he did, that was good >> customer service. Bob Pease did, too, by the way. The only company that >> could rival that in my cases is Linear Technology, and back in the old >> days Analog Devices. >> >> > You seem to be even more out of touch with reality than Jim Thopmson, >> > who does still seem to know about electronics gurus, presumably >> > because he's yet to lose contact with the realities of electronics. >> >> So what kinds of products have you designed lately? Say, last year? > >Have you been spending time with John Larkin? Whenever I correct one >of his nonsense off-topic posts, he tries to get back at me by asking >that question. > >The answer is - as you well know - none. The Dutch electronics >industry is of the opinion that anybody over 55 ought to retire and >that anybody over 65 is retired, and I'm 69, so I'm retired, whether I >like it or not. I don't - as I mention here from time to time - but I >don't have the contacts or the attitude necessary to set up a >consulting business of my own, so I'm stuck with it. You've give me >good advice on the subject which I'd need a personality transplant to >be able to follow - I'm grateful for it, but it's not advice I'm >equipped to exploit. > >I'm still fooling around with my variant on the Baxandall Class-D >oscillator, but have yet to get beyond LTspice into gEDA to create a >schematic of a circuit that I could build. I should probably talk to >my GP about anti-depressants, but can't be bothered ...
The big question in a life is: is your intellect in charge of the direction of your life, or are you ruled by emotions? It's funny that you pretend to be oh-so-smart, but in fact your intelligence is distorted, literally rendeded useless, by your emotions. If you were smart, you'd do something about that. John
On Jan 2, 1:23=A0pm, John Devereux <j...@devereux.me.uk> wrote:
> BillSloman<bill.slo...@ieee.org> writes: > > On Jan 2, 2:03=A0am, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > >> BillSlomanwrote: > >> > On Dec 31 2011, 7:05 pm, Jamie > >> > <jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1l...@charter.net> wrote: > >> >> Joerg wrote: > >> >>> Oppie wrote: > >> >>>> "Spehro Pefhany" <speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in mes=
sage
> >> customer service. Bob Pease did, too, by the way. The only company tha=
> >> could rival that in my cases is Linear Technology, and back in the old > >> days Analog Devices. > > >> > You seem to be even more out of touch with reality than Jim Thopmson=
,
Been there, done that. You have to keep patching that kind of prototype to keep it working, and I want to be able to post a copy of the circuit to my friend in London who has some cute - if cheap - spetral analysis hardware. -- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Do it like this: http://johnlarkin.yolasite.com/resources/HV_proto.JPG John
On Jan 2, 5:49=A0pm, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> BillSlomanwrote: > > On Jan 2, 2:03 am, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > >> BillSlomanwrote: > >>> On Dec 31 2011, 7:05 pm, Jamie > >>> <jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1l...@charter.net> wrote: > >>>> Joerg wrote: > >>>>> Oppie wrote: > >>>>>> "Spehro Pefhany" <speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in mess=
age
> >> customer service. Bob Pease did, too, by the way. The only company tha=
> >> could rival that in my cases is Linear Technology, and back in the old > >> days Analog Devices. > > >>> You seem to be even more out of touch with reality than Jim Thopmson, > >>> who does still seem to know about electronics gurus, presumably > >>> because he's yet to lose contact with the realities of electronics. > >> So what kinds of products have you designed lately? Say, last year? > > > Have you been spending time with John Larkin? Whenever I correct one > > of his nonsense off-topic posts, he tries to get back at me by asking > > that question. > > > The answer is - as you well know - none. ... > > So how can you accuse people of being about to lose contact with > electronics when yuo already have? Not that I find anything wrong with > that, I might switch to brewing beer or whatever when I retire, but then > I would not say such things here. In fact, I wouldn't even say them > right now. > > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=
=A0 ... The Dutch electronics
> > industry is of the opinion that anybody over 55 ought to retire and > > that anybody over 65 is retired, and I'm 69, so I'm retired, whether I > > like it or not. I don't - as I mention here from time to time - but I > > don't have the contacts or the attitude necessary to set up a > > consulting business of my own, so I'm stuck with it. You've give me > > good advice on the subject which I'd need a personality transplant to > > be able to follow - I'm grateful for it, but it's not advice I'm > > equipped to exploit. > > "Not equipped to exploit"? That is what I completely fail to understand.
Personalities and talents differ from person to person. I'm not going to go out and cold call.
> > I'm still fooling around with my variant on the Baxandall Class-D > > oscillator, but have yet to get beyond LTspice into gEDA to create a > > schematic of a circuit that I could build. I should probably talk to > > my GP about anti-depressants, but can't be bothered ... > > Hint: LTSpice already makes a schematic that is good enough, so you can > flick that switch on the Weller already :-)
In reality, the LTSpice simulation runs terribly slowly if you include the the comparator to drive the demodulator from the sine-wave output. Bodging the model of the ADG1636 so that it's switch threshold is 0V and hysterisis 10mV lets the simulation run much faster. There are a few other similar simplifications in the LTSpice circuit, and it doesn't include any of the extra hardware that I'll want to build in to be able to measure the - low - levels of the odd harmonics in the output, like the bridged differentiator tunable notch filter to get rid of the fundamental. -- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

I would if I hadn't broken all the bits of my dremel! :) I have started using strips of fixed-pitch pads, they work quite well. Pricy but one of them goes a long way. <http://uk.farnell.com/roth-elektronik/re1020/contact-strips-self-adhes-1-27mm/dp/1533014> You cut a double-row to some length then it has a self-adhesive backing so you can stick it down on FR4. -- John Devereux