Forums

Pease turkey DAC?

Started by Tom Del Rosso November 26, 2011
Many years ago I read a Pease column in which he told the story of a client
who was trying to design a DAC for the video display of an A4 or A6
aircraft.  He had to do environmental testing but it wouldn't fit in the
chamber, so he put it in a turkey roasting bag and did it in a regular oven.

It was a neat one, but I have never been able to find that column online.
Of course I remember it every year at Thanksgiving.

zero, and remove the last word.

When I was fresh out of school an old timey engineer taught me a trick
I remember every time I do a temperature test.  He said (and I believe
it is true) that more environmental tests cause failures not because
of the temperature extremes themselves, but the rapidity with which we
impose them.

Nothing wrong, he said, to let the temperature come UP or DOWN over
the space of a couple of DAYS, but to go from the full hot test and
then blow liquid CO2 into the chamber is sure to crack something.

Best thermal chamber I've ever used came from Sam's Club.  They call
it a beer cooler.  Any size you want.  Temperature UP comes from a 25
watt oven bulb.  Temperature DOWN comes from a relatively small sealed
package of dry ice sitting on a wooden platform above the DUT.  Sensor
is a small 1N4148 soldered to a solder lug and bolted to the chassis
of the DUT.

Jim

On Nov 27, 4:14=A0am, "Tom Del Rosso" <td...@verizon.net.invalid> wrote:
> Many years ago I read a Pease column in which he told the story of a clie=
nt
> who was trying to design a DAC for the video display of an A4 or A6 > aircraft. =A0He had to do environmental testing but it wouldn't fit in th=
> chamber, so he put it in a turkey roasting bag and did it in a regular ov=
en.
> > It was a neat one, but I have never been able to find that column online. > Of course I remember it every year at Thanksgiving. > > -- > > Reply in group, but if emailing add one more > zero, and remove the last word.
A turkey DAC, do you eat it at thanksgiving.
On 11/27/2011 1:35 PM, HardySpicer wrote:
> On Nov 27, 4:14 am, "Tom Del Rosso"<td...@verizon.net.invalid> wrote: >> Many years ago I read a Pease column in which he told the story of a client >> who was trying to design a DAC for the video display of an A4 or A6 >> aircraft. He had to do environmental testing but it wouldn't fit in the >> chamber, so he put it in a turkey roasting bag and did it in a regular oven. >> >> It was a neat one, but I have never been able to find that column online. >> Of course I remember it every year at Thanksgiving. >> >> -- >> >> Reply in group, but if emailing add one more >> zero, and remove the last word. > > A turkey DAC, do you eat it at thanksgiving.
The turkey DAC was designed by JT, of course.
HardySpicer wrote:
> On Nov 27, 4:14 am, "Tom Del Rosso" <td...@verizon.net.invalid> wrote: > > Many years ago I read a Pease column in which he told the story of > > a client who was trying to design a DAC for the video display of an > > A4 or A6 aircraft. He had to do environmental testing but it > > wouldn't fit in the chamber, so he put it in a turkey roasting bag > > and did it in a regular oven. > > > > It was a neat one, but I have never been able to find that column > > online. Of course I remember it every year at Thanksgiving.
> A turkey DAC, do you eat it at thanksgiving.
That's what RAP called it. I wish I could find that article before next Thanksgiving. -- Reply in group, but if emailing add one more zero, and remove the last word.
John S wrote:
> > The turkey DAC was designed by JT, of course.
What have you designed, turkey? -- You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense.
> > John S wrote: >> >> The turkey DAC was designed by JT, of course. > > > What have you designed, turkey?
You wouldn't understand them.
> > John S wrote: >> >> The turkey DAC was designed by JT, of course. > > > What have you designed, turkey? > >
Ya know, Michael, one of my problems here is that I frequently fail to add a smiley face to my comments. It appears to be a more serious thing than I originally imagined. I'll try harder. :)
John S wrote:
> > On 11/27/2011 11:03 PM, Michael A. Terrell wrote: > > > > John S wrote: > >> > >> The turkey DAC was designed by JT, of course. > > > > > > What have you designed, turkey? > > You wouldn't understand them.
Then you wouldn't, either. -- You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense.
On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 00:03:22 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >John S wrote: >> >> The turkey DAC was designed by JT, of course. > > > What have you designed, turkey?
Why do ignorant leftists hate me so? Do I say anything untrue about ignorant leftists ?:-) ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.