Forums

Cordless corded tools?

Started by John Doe November 21, 2011
I just converted a Dremel 10.8 V rotary tool to use Bosch 10.8 V
batteries. I always have the rotary tool immediately in front of
me, so the battery will either be worn on a neck strap or be set
down near the work. The wires coming from the rotary tool plug
into the battery, using a socket taken from another Bosch tool.

That was done because the rotary tool battery charger sucks.
Apparently the charger destroyed one of my two battery packs.
Also, I have lots of Bosch 10.8 V MAX batteries.

Preliminarily speaking, having the battery connected through a
wire to the tool is working great. It's a cutoff tool, so maybe
the fact that it is ultra light without an integrated battery is
the reason. Or maybe it's just infatuation, wouldn't be the first
time. The battery pack can be worn around my neck, hung from a
utility belt, or set on a table (the way I'm doing it now).

I suppose eventually battery technology will be light enough that
we will reach the point of diminishing returns for lightness, but
that hasn't happened yet.
On Nov 21, 6:04=A0pm, John Doe <j...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
> I just converted a Dremel 10.8 V rotary tool to use Bosch 10.8 V > batteries. I always have the rotary tool immediately in front of > me, so the battery will either be worn on a neck strap or be set > down near the work. The wires coming from the rotary tool plug > into the battery, using a socket taken from another Bosch tool. > > That was done because the rotary tool battery charger sucks. > Apparently the charger destroyed one of my two battery packs. > Also, I have lots of Bosch 10.8 V MAX batteries. > > Preliminarily speaking, having the battery connected through a > wire to the tool is working great. It's a cutoff tool, so maybe > the fact that it is ultra light without an integrated battery is > the reason. Or maybe it's just infatuation, wouldn't be the first > time. The battery pack can be worn around my neck, hung from a > utility belt, or set on a table (the way I'm doing it now). > > I suppose eventually battery technology will be light enough that > we will reach the point of diminishing returns for lightness, but > that hasn't happened yet.
In the past I have converted a number of 12v cordless tools into a corded version where the battery is carried on the belt. You can also set them up to run from a vehicle battery via cord. Removing the battery pack lightens the tool and many times improves the balance. I also have converted a number of 24v cordless tools to belt packs...making them easily used above one's head for hours at a time. TMT
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:28:52 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
<too_many_tools@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Nov 21, 6:04&nbsp;pm, John Doe <j...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote: >> I just converted a Dremel 10.8 V rotary tool to use Bosch 10.8 V >> batteries. I always have the rotary tool immediately in front of >> me, so the battery will either be worn on a neck strap or be set >> down near the work. The wires coming from the rotary tool plug >> into the battery, using a socket taken from another Bosch tool. >> >> That was done because the rotary tool battery charger sucks. >> Apparently the charger destroyed one of my two battery packs. >> Also, I have lots of Bosch 10.8 V MAX batteries. >> >> Preliminarily speaking, having the battery connected through a >> wire to the tool is working great. It's a cutoff tool, so maybe >> the fact that it is ultra light without an integrated battery is >> the reason. Or maybe it's just infatuation, wouldn't be the first >> time. The battery pack can be worn around my neck, hung from a >> utility belt, or set on a table (the way I'm doing it now). >> >> I suppose eventually battery technology will be light enough that >> we will reach the point of diminishing returns for lightness, but >> that hasn't happened yet. > >In the past I have converted a number of 12v cordless tools into a >corded version where the battery is carried on the belt. > >You can also set them up to run from a vehicle battery via cord. > >Removing the battery pack lightens the tool and many times improves >the balance. > >I also have converted a number of 24v cordless tools to belt >packs...making them easily used above one's head for hours at a time. > >TMT
7.2 volt drills, run on 12 volts, work great for drilling nominal 1/8" holes for rivets in aluminum. Several friends have built entire Zenith (zenair) 701 planes with them.
On Nov 21, 6:54=A0pm, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:28:52 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools > > > > > > <too_many_to...@yahoo.com> wrote: > >On Nov 21, 6:04=A0pm, John Doe <j...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote: > >> I just converted a Dremel 10.8 V rotary tool to use Bosch 10.8 V > >> batteries. I always have the rotary tool immediately in front of > >> me, so the battery will either be worn on a neck strap or be set > >> down near the work. The wires coming from the rotary tool plug > >> into the battery, using a socket taken from another Bosch tool. > > >> That was done because the rotary tool battery charger sucks. > >> Apparently the charger destroyed one of my two battery packs. > >> Also, I have lots of Bosch 10.8 V MAX batteries. > > >> Preliminarily speaking, having the battery connected through a > >> wire to the tool is working great. It's a cutoff tool, so maybe > >> the fact that it is ultra light without an integrated battery is > >> the reason. Or maybe it's just infatuation, wouldn't be the first > >> time. The battery pack can be worn around my neck, hung from a > >> utility belt, or set on a table (the way I'm doing it now). > > >> I suppose eventually battery technology will be light enough that > >> we will reach the point of diminishing returns for lightness, but > >> that hasn't happened yet. > > >In the past I have converted a number of 12v cordless tools into a > >corded version where the battery is carried on the belt. > > >You can also set them up to run from a vehicle battery via cord. > > >Removing the battery pack lightens the tool and many times improves > >the balance. > > >I also have converted a number of 24v cordless tools to belt > >packs...making them easily used above one's head for hours at a time. > > >TMT > > =A07.2 volt drills, run on 12 volts, work great for drilling nominal > 1/8" holes for rivets in aluminum. Several friends have built entire > Zenith (zenair) 701 planes with them.- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
You make a good point..the tool does not have to be the same nominal voltage within reason as the battery supply. I have run both higher and lower voltages to a tool with satisfactory results. I do like the 12v tools for a good balance of speed and torque. TMT
On 11/21/2011 6:54 PM, clare@snyder.on.ca wrote:

> 7.2 volt drills, run on 12 volts, work great for drilling nominal > 1/8" holes for rivets in aluminum. Several friends have built entire > Zenith (zenair) 701 planes with them.
I've an old Ryobi 12 volt drill that I was thinking of wiring up to a cigarette lighter plug for use on the boat. Run off the house battery. But removing the batteries doesn't always improve tool balance...
Richard <cavelamb earthlink.net> wrote:

>> 7.2 volt drills, run on 12 volts, work great for drilling >> nominal 1/8" holes for rivets in aluminum. Several friends have >> built entire Zenith (zenair) 701 planes with them.
> removing the batteries doesn't always improve tool balance
Removing the battery pack and (instead) connecting it through a short wire improves the balance of my rotary tool. They could probably make an extremely compact and lightweight lithium-ion battery powered rotary tool that would function better than a flexshaft, that way.
On Nov 21, 11:31=A0pm, Richard <cavel...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 6:54 PM, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote: > > > =A0 7.2 volt drills, run on 12 volts, work great for drilling nominal > > 1/8" holes for rivets in aluminum. Several friends have built entire > > Zenith (zenair) 701 planes with them. > > I've an old Ryobi 12 volt drill that I was thinking of wiring up to a > > cigarette lighter plug for use on the boat. > > Run off the house battery. > > But removing the batteries doesn't always improve tool balance...
True..in some cases I have left the batteries in the pack for balance but many times you can remove the pack completely. In one 12v drill I have it setup to do battery or cord ...best of both worlds. TMT
On 11/22/2011 12:44 AM, John Doe wrote:
> Richard<cavelamb earthlink.net> wrote: > >> clare snyder.on.ca wrote: >>> Too_Many_Tools<too_many_tools@yahoo.com> wrote: >>>> John Doe<j...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote: > >>>>> I just converted a Dremel 10.8 V rotary tool to use Bosch >>>>> 10.8 V batteries. I always have the rotary tool immediately >>>>> in front of me, so the battery will either be worn on a neck >>>>> strap or be set down near the work. The wires coming from the >>>>> rotary tool plug into the battery, using a socket taken from >>>>> another Bosch tool. >>>>> >>>>> That was done because the rotary tool battery charger sucks. >>>>> Apparently the charger destroyed one of my two battery packs. >>>>> Also, I have lots of Bosch 10.8 V MAX batteries. >>>>> >>>>> Preliminarily speaking, having the battery connected through >>>>> a wire to the tool is working great. It's a cutoff tool, so >>>>> maybe the fact that it is ultra light without an integrated >>>>> battery is the reason. Or maybe it's just infatuation, >>>>> wouldn't be the first time. The battery pack can be worn >>>>> around my neck, hung from a utility belt, or set on a table >>>>> (the way I'm doing it now). >>>>> >>>>> I suppose eventually battery technology will be light enough >>>>> that we will reach the point of diminishing returns for >>>>> lightness, but that hasn't happened yet. >>>> >>>> In the past I have converted a number of 12v cordless tools >>>> into a corded version where the battery is carried on the belt. >>>> >>>> You can also set them up to run from a vehicle battery via >>>> cord. >>>> >>>> Removing the battery pack lightens the tool and many times >>>> improves the balance. >>>> >>>> I also have converted a number of 24v cordless tools to belt >>>> packs...making them easily used above one's head for hours at a >>>> time. > >>> 7.2 volt drills, run on 12 volts, work great for drilling >>> nominal 1/8" holes for rivets in aluminum. Several friends have >>> built entire Zenith (zenair) 701 planes with them. > >> removing the batteries doesn't always improve tool balance > > Removing the battery pack and (instead) connecting it through a > short wire improves the balance of my rotary tool. > > They could probably make an extremely compact and lightweight > lithium-ion battery powered rotary tool that would function better > than a flexshaft, that way.
I too, have a rotary tool always next to me, actually 3. Dremel does make a Li-Ion battery model ... that's my #3 unit. Actually, it is usually my number one go to unit. Its battery and charger seems to be ok. I only have 1 battery and have had it for many years. It's probably close to needing replacement. This battery unit does, however, lack the power a regular AC Dremel possesses. Maybe a new battery would improve it. The 2 other units I have, which are always on the bench, is a variable speed AC dremel and a Ryobi. When Dremel built this AC model, they built pure junk. This model has the variable speed slide lever. The tool itself is our of balance so that at high speeds it vibrates. It vibrate so bad that the speed lever will move on its own. However, I still use it. The Ryobi speed is only 20K max, but has much more torque than the other 2.
Art Todesco <actodesco yahoo.com> wrote:

> I too, have a rotary tool always next to me, actually 3. Dremel > does make a Li-Ion battery model ... that's my #3 unit. > Actually, it is usually my number one go to unit. Its battery > and charger seems to be ok. I only have 1 battery and have had > it for many years. It's probably close to needing replacement. > This battery unit does, however, lack the power a regular AC > Dremel possesses. Maybe a new battery would improve it.
If you have other 10.8 V battery tools (like Bosch 12 V MAX), and a socket that can be taken from the same type of tool, you can convert your rotary tool into an ultra light weight cutoff tool. And likely you will be improving the battery performance at the same time. I took the connector/socket out of a Bosch 12 V MAX flashlight, connected a 2 foot wire to it, and soldered the wires into the rotary tool. I'm going to buy some cheap connectors in addition to that, so that I can use the same (expensive) tool/battery connector to connect the same type battery to another device. For example... For using the bright end of the hacked Bosch flashlight on my skating helmet. Might be a good time to move away from the cheap charger that comes with 8000 series Dremel tools. The only difficulty is finding a spare connector for the battery.
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:36:09 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
<too_many_tools@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Nov 21, 11:31&nbsp;pm, Richard <cavel...@earthlink.net> wrote: >> On 11/21/2011 6:54 PM, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote: >> >> > &nbsp; 7.2 volt drills, run on 12 volts, work great for drilling nominal >> > 1/8" holes for rivets in aluminum. Several friends have built entire >> > Zenith (zenair) 701 planes with them. >> >> I've an old Ryobi 12 volt drill that I was thinking of wiring up to a >> >> cigarette lighter plug for use on the boat. >> >> Run off the house battery. >> >> But removing the batteries doesn't always improve tool balance... > >True..in some cases I have left the batteries in the pack for balance >but many times you can remove the pack completely. > >In one 12v drill I have it setup to do battery or cord ...best of both >worlds. > >TMT
If removing the battery hurts the ballance, fill the battery area with Bondo - and lead shot if required.