Forums

USB -> Serial/RS232 Convertors

Started by tomcee October 12, 2011
What is the recommended USB -> Serial convertor for usage with the
latest Win7/64bit OS?

In the past, I've been pleased with the performance of a Belkin device
as it had RX/TX indicators and drivers were immediately available.
Now I find that this device is not supported by the manufacturer with
Win7/64.

Thank you in advance for your advice,
TomC
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 04:40:19 -0700 (PDT), tomcee <tomcees_pc@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>What is the recommended USB -> Serial convertor for usage with the >latest Win7/64bit OS? > >In the past, I've been pleased with the performance of a Belkin device >as it had RX/TX indicators and drivers were immediately available. >Now I find that this device is not supported by the manufacturer with >Win7/64.
FTDI makes the chips and also has cables with pretty blue LEDs for TX and RX indicators http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm They have drivers for 64-bit Windows at http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
"tomcee" <tomcees_pc@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:ba39f005-f2cc-4e96-9fa2-f61d7bb49217@s12g2000prb.googlegroups.com...
> What is the recommended USB -> Serial convertor for usage with the > latest Win7/64bit OS? > > In the past, I've been pleased with the performance of a Belkin device > as it had RX/TX indicators and drivers were immediately available. > Now I find that this device is not supported by the manufacturer with > Win7/64. > > Thank you in advance for your advice, > TomC
None, Use a PCI card.. If there is a USB->serial that works reliably under Win7, I havent found it. Cheers

tomcee wrote:
> What is the recommended USB -> Serial convertor for usage with the > latest Win7/64bit OS? > In the past, I've been pleased with the performance of a Belkin device > as it had RX/TX indicators and drivers were immediately available. > Now I find that this device is not supported by the manufacturer with > Win7/64.
There are two main chipsets for USB<->RS232: FTDI and Prolific. Different convertors are just different packages for one of those two chipsets. Both chipsets work fine with any OS; make sure you downloaded latest drivers from the chip maker website (not from the gadget maker). Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:12:17 -0500, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam@nowhere.com>
wrote:

> > >tomcee wrote: >> What is the recommended USB -> Serial convertor for usage with the >> latest Win7/64bit OS? >> In the past, I've been pleased with the performance of a Belkin device >> as it had RX/TX indicators and drivers were immediately available. >> Now I find that this device is not supported by the manufacturer with >> Win7/64. > >There are two main chipsets for USB<->RS232: FTDI and Prolific.
Silicon Labs also has a series of them.
>Different convertors are just different packages for one of those two >chipsets. Both chipsets work fine with any OS; make sure you downloaded >latest drivers from the chip maker website (not from the gadget maker). > > >Vladimir Vassilevsky >DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant >http://www.abvolt.com
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:12:17 -0500, Vladimir Vassilevsky
<nospam@nowhere.com> wrote:

>There are two main chipsets for USB<->RS232: FTDI and Prolific.
I'd say Silicon Labs also deserve a mention. For hobbyist use, the FT232R seems to be the most popular, since it is preprogrammed with both device IDs and unique serial numbers, and is available in a hand-solderable package.
>Different convertors are just different packages for one of those two >chipsets. Both chipsets work fine with any OS; make sure you downloaded >latest drivers from the chip maker website (not from the gadget maker).
There is one catch, however: There are Chinese knockoffs of the Prolific chips around. These knockoff chips do not work with Windows 7/64. Prolific publish drivers, so I'd expect them to work with genuine chips. -- RoRo
Rich Webb <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 04:40:19 -0700 (PDT), tomcee <tomcees_pc@yahoo.com> >wrote: > >>What is the recommended USB -> Serial convertor for usage with the >>latest Win7/64bit OS? >> >>In the past, I've been pleased with the performance of a Belkin device >>as it had RX/TX indicators and drivers were immediately available. >>Now I find that this device is not supported by the manufacturer with >>Win7/64. > >FTDI makes the chips and also has cables with pretty blue LEDs for TX >and RX indicators http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm >They have drivers for 64-bit Windows at >http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
I'm not really happy with the stability of the FTDI drivers. I have better experience with Silabs chips. -- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.) --------------------------------------------------------------
> None, Use a PCI card.. > > If there is a USB->serial that works reliably under Win7, I havent found it. > > Cheers > >
Many PCs still have a serial port. Usually the people seeking usb to serial are notebook users. Some of the old Socketcom cards work under win7. Those cards are just like a real serial port.

"miso" <miso@sushi.com> wrote in message 
news:j756hn$p6i$1@speranza.aioe.org...
>> None, Use a PCI card.. >> >> If there is a USB->serial that works reliably under Win7, I havent >> found it. >> >> Cheers >> >> > > Many PCs still have a serial port. Usually the people seeking usb to > serial are notebook users. > > Some of the old Socketcom cards work under win7. Those cards are just > like a real serial port.
Lets see if I can find the old link I had.. Nope, but interesting... <http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=56&chapter=0> I had problems with win7x32 so, I would go with them next time. Cheers