Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Started by David L. Jones March 30, 2010
"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message

> You don't favor copyrights or legal protection for intellectual > property? If you spent years writing a book or a symphony or > developing a product that was mostly firmware, you wouldn't mind if > people copied it and sold cheap knockoffs?
You sure talk like a US lawyer - mostly irrelevant crap. Nobody is copying their Rigol DS1052E and selling them. And nobody is turning 50MHz Rigols into 100MHz Rigols and SELLING THEM. We are talking about people who have bought Rigol 'scopes legally already. What they do to the Rigol that they OWN in the privacy of their own workshop is not the business of any fucking lawyer (or wannabe lawyer in your case.) Even the biggest wankers in the world (lawyers in the US) would have trouble getting a search warrant to check on the NVRAM settings in a DSO.
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:00:07 -0400, Phil Hobbs

>On 3/31/2010 3:07 PM, Jon Kirwan wrote: >> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:38:34 -0400, Phil Hobbs >> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: >> >>> On 3/31/2010 12:46 AM, miso@sushi.com wrote: >>>> On Mar 30, 8:03 pm, John Larkin >>>> <jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >>>>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:29:12 +1100, "David L. Jones" >>>>> >>>>> <altz...@gmail.com> wrote: >>>>>> For those with a Rigol DS1052E oscilloscope, you can now turn it into a >>>>>> 100MHz DS1102E with just a serial cable: >>>>> >>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnhXfVYWYXE >>>>> >>>>>> Dave. >>>>> >>>>> What you have done is possibly a criminal act in the USA, using a >>>>> computer to deprive Rigol of revenue. In the US, "using a computer" to >>>>> perform an act can be a much more severe crime than the act itself. >>>>> >>>>> I have some sympathy for Rigol here. Many of our products have an >>>>> option that can be enabled in firmware, and that we charge for. We put >>>>> a lot of engineering effort into the firmware, and need to be paid for >>>>> it. If buyers of my gear can order the cheaper one and make it into >>>>> the expensive one, by copying an EPROM maybe, or setting a bit in >>>>> flash somewhere, I can't recover the cost of the feature. The act is >>>>> arguably legal theft. It's certainly moral theft. >>>>> >>>>> Products are increasingly IP and less hardware these days, and the IP >>>>> is expensive. >>>>> >>>>> Of course, Rigol made it too easy. They will probably go back and make >>>>> it harder to do, and that will make the scope cost more in both >>>>> versions. >>>>> >>>>> I recently got a 1052E, and it's a pretty nice scope. The digital >>>>> filtering is not perfect, but it's sure cute. It has way more goodies >>>>> than a comparable Tek for under half the price. I'll probably get a >>>>> few more. >>>>> >>>>> John >>>> >>>> The design cost is amortized over all the units. [Hey, don't worry >>>> what the consults charges, it will go to zero as we sell a million >>>> units.] >>>> >>>> Rigol does themselves a disservice by having to maintain two >>>> products. They should just sell the higher speed scope, bomb the >>>> market, and then own it. >>> >>> >>> Destroying a market isn't usually a good way to make money in the long >>> run. >>> >>> And it's easily possible that Rigol saves a boatload of money by having >>> only one assembly number to design, code, build, and test. Remember >>> that (as Dave discovered earlier) they're actually overclocking the ADCs >>> on the 100 MHz model--so one can argue it's really a 50 MHz scope that >>> Rigol themselves hacked into a 100 MHz one. >>> >>> Companies have been selling crippleware forever--the earliest example I >>> know of was the 6 MHz IBM PC-AT. You changed the crystal and one other >>> thing that I forget, and suddenly you had a blistering fast 8 MHz AT! >>> (Cooler than the coolest thing ever, no?) There were similar howls of >>> outrage over that one. >> >> I did that modification, myself, upon buying an IBM PC/AT >> for, if I recall correctly, $5499! It would work up to about >> 8.5MHz, by the way. I tried 9, but the I/O bus clocked up >> with the CPU (at that time) and some of the add-in boards >> couldn't keep up. However, 8.5MHz worked across the board, >> quite well. I clocked back to 8.0MHz and lived happily ever >> after. >> >> Not for one split second did I believe I was doing something >> wrong, here. Not for one moment. I still think it was fine >> to do. >> >> The Kaypro 286i was the first "truly compatible" IBM PC >> machine built after that and it cost almost $2000 less to >> buy, new. (There were other attempts, but they failed on a >> variety of applications at the time and were crippled in one >> way or another until the Kaypro 286i made it out.) >> >> There was a short period (year?) where the ISA (wasn't known >> as that, at the time, but I'm referring to the 8/16 bit bus >> that came out with the PC/AT) bus had to be separated better >> from the CPU clock and thus was born the ability to clock the >> CPU up higher (10,12,16MHz) without making bus boards fail. >> That led to Chips&Technology developing their IC to save all >> those discrete IC parts populating the boards. And that led >> to Intel deciding (eventually, years later on) to take over >> that market and develop their own chipset. Etc. >> >> But it was morally RIGHT to clock up the system. I still >> think so and if John L. is on the other side of this question >> then we have a fundamental difference of opinion. However, >> he hasn't weighed in on it, so it is hard to know. >> >>> The moral question is actually an interesting one, I think, and the >>> different views seem to hinge on what people think they're buying, and >>> whether a hardware/software combination is more like hardware (which you >>> can hack up as you like) or software (which has a license agreement >>> you're bound by). >>> <snip> >> >> It is an interesting question and made all the more so >> because different people may fall on different sides here. >> That's what makes it interesting. If everyone took the same >> position, it would indeed be dullsville. >> >> Jon > >For hardware, I agree entirely. You bought it, you can hack it up any >way you want. For software, you don't own it, you only license it, and >that restricts what you can do.
This last situation is one that _developed_ in the US due to a law suit (or several) that took place around the time when VisiCalc was a "big deal" in and around 1980. Prior to this time, software was bought and sold and the older US laws regarding rights followed that legal lagacy. If you BUY the software, you can loan it to others, etc. What happened is that some software manufacturers (using the term, loosely) decided that they didn't want that legal legacy and tried hard to pony up some "new idea." That new idea was selling licenses to use, not direct ownership. This really didn't have a lot of legal history to it and there was a debate as to whether or not one could "sell" a product over the counter, on a wide spread basis. (By this, I mean, sold just like a hammer is and NOT like the usual 'licence to use' was before, which was strictly done between two eyes-open parties who represented themselves on a professional and fully informed basis and wrote a contract which was duly signed by appropriate authorities. Up to that time, there were licenses... yes. But they were strictly done on a written contract basis and done 1-on-1. This was new in the sense that merely "opening" a package was to be taken as a fully-informed legal contract. Which is a very different thing.) A court (in my opinion, wrongly) decided this issue and opened the door that we now find ourselves completely on the other side of. Hardware is as it always was, though. Software went through a dimensional door and we are now in another universe.
>So far, so well understood.
Yes.
>These hardware/software gizmos we're surrounded with are in a bit of a >grey area. If you bought an Apple computer, for instance, you'd own the >hardware but only license the pre-installed software. You don't get a >right to hack/rip off/disassemble their software just because you bought >their hardware. > >I don't like the DMCA in general, and I think it was silly of Rigol to >make hacking it this easy--all they needed was a SSH stack, a hardware >key, or even an obfuscated command--but that doesn't change the moral >position. The hardware is hardware, so you can hack it any way you >like. Cutting traces on the PCB to get the extra vertical bandwidth >would be perfectly fine. > >Disassembling the firmware and ripping it off would not be fine. > >Hacking the firmware as Dave did is a grey area, one that will become >more and more important as we go along. > >As I said, it's a good lesson in product design, and an interesting >moral question that is more complicated than most folks here are willing >to see.
I think this is a really interesting topic and I'm glad there are different opinions on it. It makes for some fun. I will read the arguments, but I'm sure like most of us over the age of 40 we aren't likely to make profound changes in our hard-won opinions. But it will be intriguing to see if someone does come up with a solid argument that changes an opinion here or there. Jon
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 23:07:27 +0200, "fritz" <yaputya@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> >"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message >news:u017r512mfbq7gdsq1t5k2r7098f6ht9jl@4ax.com... >> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 08:31:14 -0700 (PDT), Al Borowski >> <al.borowski@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>>On Apr 1, 12:01 am, John Larkin >>><jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >>> >>>> >>>> People buy the standard and Pro versions of Windows knowing the only >>>> difference is a few flags. Windows consumer versions are brain-damaged >>>> to allow only a small number of network connections at a time, and >>>> cost almost nothing bundled with a PC. Windows Server removes the >>>> limit and costs about $2K. >>> >>>Well, not really. You don't buy the software, you only license it. You >>>have to agree to the EULA for it to install. If you figure out how to >>>use regedit to enable certain features, it isn't illegal to tell >>>people how to do so (of course they may be violating the EULA if they >>>do) >>> >>>> It's Rigol's choice how to price their products and amortize their >>>> engineering. Buying their 50 MHz scope and hacking it, and gleefully >>>> telling the world how to do it, it is essentially vandalism. Legally, >>>> it may be criminal conspiracy to use a computer to commit a crime. >>> >>>Hang on a second. It's only Rigol's scope until I buy it. When I buy >>>it, it's mine. Not theirs. You don't have to sign an agreement that >>>says you won't modify it. >>> >>>What crime is possibly being committed? >> >> It may be a felony under DCMA. I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure. >> >> John > >Fuck the lawyers ! They are the leeches of the world. And although you >ain't one, you seem to aspire to be one by your subservient attitude. >All this crap about 'software licensing' is lawyer talk. If I buy a product >(software or hardware) I own the fucking thing and I can do what I want >with it as long as I don't sell it to anyone else.
You generally have a legal right to sell it to someone else, at least in the US. You may not in europe.
> >Take a step back from your silly posturing and consider the following... >How is anyone going to find out what you have done to your own >'scope in the privacy of your home ? Can you see Rigol getting >search warrants to invade their customer's homes ??? >
Once a scope is in my posession, converting it to 100 MHz does Rigol no economic harm. Dave's posting detailed hacking directions to the world does them real harm, and they may have legal recourse. Are you an anarchist or something? Don't approve of law? Do you have enough guns to protect yourself, no matter what? John
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:44:14 GMT, nico@puntnl.niks (Nico
Coesel) wrote:

>John Larkin <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> >>Jones still hasn't said why he did it. > >Probably because it is possible. The reason why there have been so >many great inventions :-)
:) That's my take, as well. Of course, Dave can speak for himself, too! Jon

How about this one: http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/T760DS.html That's a real transformer-isolated 100 volt pulse into 50 ohms. We've tweaked it since we took that pic, and rise/fall are now typically under 1 ns. And this is a 1 GHz square wave http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/T860DS.html The undershoot is my fault... a trace is a little too long. I'll fix it next pass. The higher the bandwidth the messier
>they look as various resonance effects in the measurement circuit >are revealed - use a 1Ghz 'scope and they REALLY suck.
I use a 20 GHz scope, and the calibration and TDR pulses are almost perfect. John
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:04:13 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:30:53 -0700, Jon Kirwan ><jonk@infinitefactors.org> wrote: > >>On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 08:53:03 -0700, John Larkin >><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> >>>On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:14:03 -0700 (PDT), George Herold >>><ggherold@gmail.com> wrote: >>> >>>>On Mar 30, 8:29&#4294967295;pm, "David L. Jones" <altz...@gmail.com> wrote: >>>>> For those with a Rigol DS1052E oscilloscope, you can now turn it into a >>>>> 100MHz DS1102E with just a serial cable: >>>>> >>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnhXfVYWYXE >>>>> >>>>> Dave. >>>>> >>>>> -- >>>>> ================================================ >>>>> Check out my Electronics Engineering Video Blog & Podcast:http://www.eevblog.com >>>> >>>>Excellent, I just ordered a Rigol DS1052E! The best news is that >>>>even without the mod the 50 MHz is closer to 70 MHz as is.... (just >>>>scaling your measured 5ns rise/fall time.) >>>> >>>>George H. >>> >>>It has very clean transient response as shipped, at the 50 (or 70) MHz >>>bandwidth. The hacked version is ratty looking. I wouldn't do the hack >>>even if it was morally and legally fine. >>> >>>This is a very nice little scope, superb for the price. It has loads >>>of more features than a comparable Tek at around 1/3 the price. >>> >>>Why Jones would choose to hurt Rigel is a mystery to me. >> >>It's not Dave's job to protect Rigol. > >He sure didn't protect them.
I hope you are not pretending to argue that he should have done so. I would hope you feel he is free to act in his own perceived interests.
>He apparently organized
One doesn't 'organize' themselves. A person of 1 is not an organization.
>an effort to hack their scopes
What is wrong with hacking something you buy?
>and cost them money,
Not by the mere fact of hacking, he didn't.
>and went public with it.
Ah, you mean "he cost them money __because__ he went public." Different thing. Precision in writing words might help. But I already addressed this pointing out that you can't know this. And I gave a possible alternative view, as well. Which you didn't discuss, at all. So I see no need to re-address myself to something I've already spoken about and which you have not responded to.
>>Whether he hurt them or not is a question that isn't clear, >>nor answered yet. If Rigol is forced to make further >>modifications because of Dave, and only because of Dave, then >>you may have a point on that narrow ledge. But it still >>doesn't mean Dave has any responsibility to protect them from >>such actions they may later choose to take. >> >>Besides the issue that Dave is acting as an independent, free >>agent and may choose what is in his own better interests, he >>cannot possibly be expected to consult some personal Ouija >>board about the mind of Rigol about their own business >>interests. Rigol can fend for themselves. And they are >>perfectly able to do so. > >Maybe they have lawyers to help them fend for themselves.
Of course they have lawyers. At least one. You are (not so) secretly wishing that Dave would get his hands slapped. You certainly have NOT made a very good case as to why, yet.
>>In any case, I generally prefer a world where knowledge is >>freely shared, education valued, and the consequences lived >>with more than one where knowledge ie metered out. Dave gave >>information, which is fine. You did too when you commented >>about the "clean transient response" and the fact that you >>don't think it is wise to hack it for your own needs. Which >>is good information, as well. Then just let the end user >>decide for themselves what is better for them. As it should >>be. > >Jones still hasn't said why he did it.
So? Jon
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:25:04 GMT, Swanny <swanny@nospam.org> wrote:

>John Larkin wrote: >> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:29:12 +1100, "David L. Jones" >> <altzone@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> For those with a Rigol DS1052E oscilloscope, you can now turn it into a >>> 100MHz DS1102E with just a serial cable: >>> >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnhXfVYWYXE >>> >>> Dave. >> >> What you have done is possibly a criminal act in the USA, using a >> computer to deprive Rigol of revenue. In the US, "using a computer" to >> perform an act can be a much more severe crime than the act itself. >> > >So are all the overclockers in the USA in jail for depriving Intel of >revenue by not buying a higher grade CPU for more $?
No. Overclocking is not illegal. John
wrote:

>John Larkin <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> >>Jones still hasn't said why he did it. >> > >Probably because it is possible. The reason why there have been so >many great inventions :-)
And so much vandalism. John
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 23:52:50 +0200, "fritz" <yaputya@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> >"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message >news:qmo6r51q9nlsv0g12r93qroa0ke4r017dh@4ax.com... > >> You don't favor copyrights or legal protection for intellectual >> property? If you spent years writing a book or a symphony or >> developing a product that was mostly firmware, you wouldn't mind if >> people copied it and sold cheap knockoffs? > > >You sure talk like a US lawyer - mostly irrelevant crap. > >Nobody is copying their Rigol DS1052E and selling them. >And nobody is turning 50MHz Rigols into 100MHz Rigols and SELLING THEM.
LOL, not *yet*, *perhaps*. I'd be extremely careful about buying a 100MHz Rigol from a dubious source. P.S. labels can be very cheap.
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 23:30:18 +0200, "fritz" <yaputya@microsoft.com> > wrote: > >> >>"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in >>message >>news:mtq6r5t2e14htcdl9svbr3bt8g95hlpmmc@4ax.com... >>..... >>> Looking at the transient response at 100 MHz, which kinda sucks, I >>> wonder if the 50 and 100 MHz scopes are indeed identical except for >>> firmware. >>> >>> John >> >>Kinda sucks ? >>Did you watch the eevblog ??? I don't think you have the slightest clue >>about >>what fast signals really look like. > > > How about this one: > > ://www.highlandtechnology.com/DhttpSS/T760DS.html > > That's a real transformer-isolated 100 volt pulse into 50 ohms. We've > tweaked it since we took that pic, and rise/fall are now typically > under 1 ns. > > And this is a 1 GHz square wave > > http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/T860DS.html > > The undershoot is my fault... a trace is a little too long. I'll fix > it next pass. > > The higher the bandwidth the messier >>they look as various resonance effects in the measurement circuit >>are revealed - use a 1Ghz 'scope and they REALLY suck. > > I use a 20 GHz scope, and the calibration and TDR pulses are almost > perfect. > > John
You claimed the modded Rigol 'kinda sucks'. Why ? What were you expecting from a 100Mhz scope ? You also snipped the following... "The modded Rigol compared very well with a 100Mhz Tektronix TDS 1012." Care to comment why a TDS 1012 also 'kinda sucks' ?