Adapting a Garmin Traffic Receiver to car antenna?

Started by DaveC February 23, 2010
On 2/27/10, Bart! posted:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:55:26 -0500, Steve Stone <n2ubp@hotmail.com> > wrote:
>> A few days ago I picked up a Garmin NUVI 285WT for $100 from Amazon.com >> I was configuring it indoors and trying to activate the MSN traffic >> service 9 month trail. >> I could not get a good enough signal indoors so I connected a piece of >> coax to the wall jack leading to our outdoor TV antenna, put a jumper >> wire with an alligator clip on the inner wire of the coax and wrapped >> the jumper wire around the NUVI power cord (which includes the traffic >> receiver) and the signal strength increased to 100 percent, all bars lit >> green, allowing me to activate the traffic software. I wonder if a >> similar technique would work with a car radio antenna? >> >> Steve
> What is so goddamned difficult about simply buying a GPS antenna, which > BTW, you retarded, overtly cross-posting twit, makes the device properly > accurate?
Because that's not what they are talking about. As stated in the posts and in the subject line, they are talking about the traffic receiver, which uses FM radio signals. -- Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:59:49 -0800, Gene E. Bloch
<letters@someplace.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/27/10, Bart! posted: >> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:55:26 -0500, Steve Stone <n2ubp@hotmail.com> >> wrote: > >>> A few days ago I picked up a Garmin NUVI 285WT for $100 from Amazon.com >>> I was configuring it indoors and trying to activate the MSN traffic >>> service 9 month trail. >>> I could not get a good enough signal indoors so I connected a piece of >>> coax to the wall jack leading to our outdoor TV antenna, put a jumper >>> wire with an alligator clip on the inner wire of the coax and wrapped >>> the jumper wire around the NUVI power cord (which includes the traffic >>> receiver) and the signal strength increased to 100 percent, all bars lit >>> green, allowing me to activate the traffic software. I wonder if a >>> similar technique would work with a car radio antenna? >>> >>> Steve > > >> What is so goddamned difficult about simply buying a GPS antenna, which >> BTW, you retarded, overtly cross-posting twit, makes the device properly >> accurate? > >Because that's not what they are talking about. As stated in the posts >and in the subject line, they are talking about the traffic receiver, >which uses FM radio signals.
You have to understand AlwaysWrong. He's *always* wrong.
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:59:49 -0800, Gene E. Bloch
<letters@someplace.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/27/10, Bart! posted: >> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:55:26 -0500, Steve Stone <n2ubp@hotmail.com> >> wrote: > >>> A few days ago I picked up a Garmin NUVI 285WT for $100 from Amazon.com >>> I was configuring it indoors and trying to activate the MSN traffic >>> service 9 month trail. >>> I could not get a good enough signal indoors so I connected a piece of >>> coax to the wall jack leading to our outdoor TV antenna, put a jumper >>> wire with an alligator clip on the inner wire of the coax and wrapped >>> the jumper wire around the NUVI power cord (which includes the traffic >>> receiver) and the signal strength increased to 100 percent, all bars lit >>> green, allowing me to activate the traffic software. I wonder if a >>> similar technique would work with a car radio antenna? >>> >>> Steve > > >> What is so goddamned difficult about simply buying a GPS antenna, which >> BTW, you retarded, overtly cross-posting twit, makes the device properly >> accurate? > >Because that's not what they are talking about. As stated in the posts >and in the subject line, they are talking about the traffic receiver, >which uses FM radio signals.
Then, the device should have a separate antenna port.
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 19:49:11 -0600, krw wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:59:49 -0800, Gene E. Bloch > <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote: > >>On 2/27/10, Bart! posted: >>> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:55:26 -0500, Steve Stone <n2ubp@hotmail.com> >>> wrote: >> >>>> A few days ago I picked up a Garmin NUVI 285WT for $100 from Amazon.com >>>> I was configuring it indoors and trying to activate the MSN traffic >>>> service 9 month trail. >>>> I could not get a good enough signal indoors so I connected a piece of >>>> coax to the wall jack leading to our outdoor TV antenna, put a jumper >>>> wire with an alligator clip on the inner wire of the coax and wrapped >>>> the jumper wire around the NUVI power cord (which includes the traffic >>>> receiver) and the signal strength increased to 100 percent, all bars lit >>>> green, allowing me to activate the traffic software. I wonder if a >>>> similar technique would work with a car radio antenna? >>>> >>>> Steve >> >> >>> What is so goddamned difficult about simply buying a GPS antenna, which >>> BTW, you retarded, overtly cross-posting twit, makes the device properly >>> accurate? >> >>Because that's not what they are talking about. As stated in the posts >>and in the subject line, they are talking about the traffic receiver, >>which uses FM radio signals. > > You have to understand AlwaysWrong. He's *always* wrong.
He posted a reply to my post about the same time you did. I am beginning to see what you mean. Also, I hadn't looked at his headers before - a serious misstep on my part... -- Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Bart! wrote:
> > What is so goddamned difficult about simply buying a GPS antenna, which > BTW, you retarded, overtly cross-posting twit, makes the device properly > accurate?
Bart, you old fart..... This is not a GPS frequency. Traffic data is piggy backed on broadcast band FM frequencies. An external GPS antenna won't do squat to fix this issue. You need more fiber in your diet. Have a nice day!
Bart! wrote:

> > Then, the device should have a separate antenna port.
It should but it does not. It plugs into the USB port on the back of the GPS. The USB port is used to data signal and power to recharge the built in battery. the cable is wired like this 12 VDC power plug, A couple of inches of DC power cord to an approx. 2 inch oblong FM receiver From the FM receiver 2 cables go to the GPS USB port, one is data/power, the other is used as a broadcast band FM antenna , hanging inside your car. Hacking the assembly would require cracking open the sealed FM receiver without damaging the device, figuring out where the antenna wire input is located, and soldering in an antenna input jack and an A/B switch , sealing up the unit (voiding any warranty). Do you suggest I put the device in my shop vice, apply pressure till it cracks open or turns to shrapnel, or dig out the dremel tool? I prefer inductive coupling to hacking a device still under warranty. Steve 73 de N2UBP
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:46:09 -0500, Steve Stone <n2ubp@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Bart! wrote: > >> >> Then, the device should have a separate antenna port. > >It should but it does not. >It plugs into the USB port on the back of the GPS. >The USB port is used to data signal and power to recharge the built in >battery. > >the cable is wired like this > >12 VDC power plug, > >A couple of inches of DC power cord to an approx. 2 inch oblong FM receiver > > From the FM receiver 2 cables go to the GPS USB port, one is data/power, >the other is used as a broadcast band FM antenna , hanging inside your car. > >Hacking the assembly would require cracking open the sealed FM receiver >without damaging the device, figuring out where the antenna wire input >is located, and soldering in an antenna input jack and an A/B switch , >sealing up the unit (voiding any warranty). > >Do you suggest I put the device in my shop vice, >apply pressure till it cracks open or turns to shrapnel, or dig out the >dremel tool? > >I prefer inductive coupling to hacking a device still under warranty. > >Steve >73 de N2UBP >
I prefer contacting the manufacturer to guesswork.
On Feb 28, 6:28=A0pm, Bart! <B@rt_The_Sheriff_Is_A_Nig***!.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:46:09 -0500, Steve Stone <n2...@hotmail.com> > wrote: > > > > >Bart! wrote: > > >> =A0 Then, the device should have a separate antenna port. > > >It should but it does not. > >It plugs into the USB port on the back of the GPS. > >The USB port is used to data signal and power to recharge the built in > >battery. > > >the cable is wired like this > > >12 VDC power plug, > > >A couple of inches of DC power cord to an approx. 2 inch oblong FM recei=
ver
> > > From the FM receiver 2 cables go to the GPS USB port, one is data/power=
,
> >the other is used as a broadcast band FM antenna , hanging inside your c=
ar.
> > >Hacking the assembly would require cracking open the sealed FM receiver > >without damaging the device, figuring out where the antenna wire input > >is located, and soldering in an antenna input jack and an A/B switch , > >sealing up the unit (voiding any warranty). > > >Do you suggest I put the device in my shop vice, > >apply pressure till it cracks open or turns to shrapnel, or dig out the > >dremel tool? > > >I prefer inductive coupling to hacking a device still under warranty. > > >Steve > >73 de N2UBP > > =A0 I prefer contacting the manufacturer to guesswork.
If you'd followed the thread you would know that the manufacturer has been singularly unhelpful/useless - thus the need to draw on the collective wisdom of the group. Look and think before you jump in, and try to contirubute courteously.
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:35:07 -0500, Steve Stone <n2ubp@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Bart! wrote: >> >> What is so goddamned difficult about simply buying a GPS antenna, which >> BTW, you retarded, overtly cross-posting twit, makes the device properly >> accurate? > >Bart, you old fart..... > >This is not a GPS frequency. >Traffic data is piggy backed on broadcast band FM frequencies. >An external GPS antenna won't do squat to fix this issue. > >You need more fiber in your diet. >Have a nice day!
You must be new here. This month the kill-file log shows that he is using the following aliases, sorted by number of entries. Better to just ignore him. Don't feed the trolls and all that... 1: CellShocked <cellshocked@thecellvalueattheendofthespreadsheet.org> 1: VioletaPachydermata <PurpleElephant@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> 2: Abbey Somebody <abnormal@castlefrankenstein.org> 2: SoothSayer <SaySooth@TheMonastery.org> 2: TralfamadoranJetPilot <BillyPilgrim@thebigbarattheendoftheuniverse.org> 3: "MassiveProng@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org" <MassiveProng@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> 4: Bungalow Bill <BugalowBill@AbbeyRoad.UKCOM> 4: Pieyed Piper <pieyedPiper@thebongshopattheendoftheuniverse.org> 6: UltimatePatriot <UltimatePatriot@thebestcountry.org> 8: Lil Red Riding In The Hood <lilredridinginthehood@grandmashouseattheendoftheuniverse.org> 8: TheJoker <LeonardooftheLarcenousLaugh@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> 11: Son of a Sea Cook <NotaBrewster@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> 15: Mycelium <mycelium@thematrixattheendofthemushroomstem.org> 17: AwlSome Auger <AwlSomeAuger@BuyOneGetOneFree.org> 17: Bart! <B@rt_The_Sheriff_Is_A_Nig***!.org> 21: "Herbert John \"Jackie\" Gleason" <BufordTJustice@Texarkanacops.gov> 21: Capt. Cave Man <ItIsSoEasyACaveManCanDoIt@upyers.org> 25: StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt <Zarathustra@thusspoke.org> 34: Archimedes' Lever <OneBigLever@InfiniteSeries.Org> 40: FatBytestard <FatBytestard@somewheronyourharddrive.org> 413: life imitates life <pasticcio@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:19:58 -0500, Rich Webb
<bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:35:07 -0500, Steve Stone <n2ubp@hotmail.com> >wrote: > >>Bart! wrote: >>> >>> What is so goddamned difficult about simply buying a GPS antenna, which >>> BTW, you retarded, overtly cross-posting twit, makes the device properly >>> accurate? >> >>Bart, you old fart..... >> >>This is not a GPS frequency. >>Traffic data is piggy backed on broadcast band FM frequencies. >>An external GPS antenna won't do squat to fix this issue. >> >>You need more fiber in your diet. >>Have a nice day! > >You must be new here. This month the kill-file log shows that he is >using the following aliases, sorted by number of entries. Better to just >ignore him. Don't feed the trolls and all that... > > > 1: CellShocked <cellshocked@thecellvalueattheendofthespreadsheet.org> > 1: VioletaPachydermata ><PurpleElephant@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> > 2: Abbey Somebody <abnormal@castlefrankenstein.org> > 2: SoothSayer <SaySooth@TheMonastery.org> > 2: TralfamadoranJetPilot ><BillyPilgrim@thebigbarattheendoftheuniverse.org> > 3: "MassiveProng@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org" ><MassiveProng@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> > 4: Bungalow Bill <BugalowBill@AbbeyRoad.UKCOM> > 4: Pieyed Piper <pieyedPiper@thebongshopattheendoftheuniverse.org> > 6: UltimatePatriot <UltimatePatriot@thebestcountry.org> > 8: Lil Red Riding In The Hood ><lilredridinginthehood@grandmashouseattheendoftheuniverse.org> > 8: TheJoker ><LeonardooftheLarcenousLaugh@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> > 11: Son of a Sea Cook <NotaBrewster@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> > 15: Mycelium <mycelium@thematrixattheendofthemushroomstem.org> > 17: AwlSome Auger <AwlSomeAuger@BuyOneGetOneFree.org> > 17: Bart! <B@rt_The_Sheriff_Is_A_Nig***!.org> > 21: "Herbert John \"Jackie\" Gleason" ><BufordTJustice@Texarkanacops.gov> > 21: Capt. Cave Man <ItIsSoEasyACaveManCanDoIt@upyers.org> > 25: StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt <Zarathustra@thusspoke.org> > 34: Archimedes' Lever <OneBigLever@InfiniteSeries.Org> > 40: FatBytestard <FatBytestard@somewheronyourharddrive.org> > 413: life imitates life <pasticcio@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org>
You're a goddamned liar, boy. I haven't used half of those, so your precious filter must be catching others' responses as well. You really are about as retarded as it gets, bub.