Forums

Using microphone to measure Db(A) and Db(C) ?

Started by Skybuck Flying August 29, 2009
Hmm indeed... I didn't look at your links yet... but I also found one which
you also found but a different one, this one for sensitivity of microphone:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-transferfactor.htm

Yours was this one:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

Hmmm so many links, so much reading to do woooooooow.

Gives me the feeling of "how human beings can make something apperently
simple as "sound" into something very complex ?! ;)"

But maybe sound is very complex ! Think of all the molecules bumping against
each other ! LOL.

It's at least a 3D problem ! ;)

At the time factor to it... and it becomes pretty much a 4D factor since
every molecule can have it's own timing in a way ;)

And then add some... for electronics and chemicals/signals in brain and
woooow ;) :)

Bye,
  Skybuck.

"Skybuck Flying" <BloodyShame@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, > > I have two microphones: > > 1. A Fica CMP-202 computer microphone.
Here you can see the Fico in action ;) (It's Fico not Fica... hehe bad font ! ;)) http://samods.org/voicerecord For a picture of the second mic I'll probably have to put up a picture myself... So this could be a good reason to post pictures of my receiver after all... But this time I will probably scale down the pictures. The webdrives are not ready yet for +1 MB pictures ! ;) Also it depends on if microsoft sky drive allows easy viewing of pictures... I know uploading will probably be a bitch... but maybe it has improved now... maybe it has ftp support... that would be reaaal nice and easy ;) Bye, Skybuck.
Ok,

I just did my first recording of the outside...

I am kinda curious...

Also first I am gonna have some theeeeaaaa...

And then I am going to amplify the sound... so that you guys can simply hear
it...

And then I am gonna convert it to an mp3 maybe so that it's small in size...
and so that everybody can listen to it...

And then I am going to place it on a website... so that the whole world can
hear what I hear...

Maybe it will put the local "goverment" to shame ! ;) :) LOL.

And remember this is on a sunday morning at 11:21 am LOL.

And this pretty much happens every minute... I recorded two minutes ! ;)

(Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, And Saturday are going to be
blast !)

Yes ladies and gentlemen this is going to be my BLOG and SOUNDWALL OF SHAME
! =D ;)

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Also this first recording was with the microphone on the ground behind the
balkony wall...

(I haven't listened to the recording yet... but I bet it might have even
been better if it was on the wall instead of behind it but ok).

For next recordings I will see if I can maybe place it somewhere... maybe
stick it to the glass... maybe use a chair... or maybe an extension cord
(but I probably don't have that... but I ll find a way... probably sticky
tape ;) :))

So I should do a new recording with the sticky tape... but for the fun of
it... I want the very very very first recording to be up there as well ;) :)
Kinda funny.

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Ok,

This was an interesting test, some things noticed:

1. First of all there was some wind being picked up by the mic.

2. The mic is also directly placed into the "air stream"... I am venting my
place.. so this might not be a good thing.

3. The wind was modest and layed down for some parts of the recording.

4. The motor cycle accelerating is clearly hearable.

5. The bus accelerating is very clearly hearable and noisy.

6. Cars clearly hearible...

The sound recording for what I am used to is pretty boring but maybe you
guys gonna have a good laugh or gonna find it interesting lol...

I am unsure how to modify it properly for a fair playback... twice change
volume at 20 points might be a bit over the top.... especially for the bus
section.

But 20 plus 15 or so.. or maybe 20 + 10 or so is just about right.

7. This does make the wind excessively large... but hopefully you guys know
it's just wind and can be ignored.

Now the question is: Do I really need to buy a special mic just to get rid
of the wind ?

The answer is: Maybe not... maybe I can "invent"/"think up" some enclosure
for the mic that would keep the wind out a bit ! ;)

^ Interesting.

I should definetly do so more recordings... but the city is slowly waking up
even on Sunday...

But that's the way it is... I am not gonna hide the thruth... no people... I
am going to record the thruth and put it out there... no matter how painfull
it might be ! LOL.

Actually I already heard two interesting motor engines this morning as I
placed the mic... one strange car sound (not on recording)... one
accelerating crazy bike... and ofcourse the boring dreaded busses... well
boring for me... maybe not so boring for you ;)

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Hmm...

I might have to stop drinking hot thea altogether if I don't want to die
from "swallow" cancer...

Normally I eat bread with thea... but not this time...

For the first time I could actually feel my throat hurting a bit after the
first two nips...

I put a finger in the thea and it was fricking hot... and then I drink it
and it feels normal in my mouth/tong... that means my mouth and tong have
been burned too many times I think...

Even after pooring louds of cold water in it it was still way too hot
according to my fingers... and my mouth thought it was kinda luke-warm...

This is not a good sign... sigh... but what else can I drink ? Not much...

1. Water contaminated with medicines and other chemicals.

2. Drinks bad for health because of synthetic sugars and conservitives.

3. Milk is jacky and also contains way to many cancerous steriouds and what
not ;)
Dirty farmers ! HAHA SUCK IT AND DIE FOR IT. And that doesn't even include
the chinese scandal ! ;) :) LOL.

4. I could try drinking blood and become a vampire... but even human beings
seem to be contaminated ! BLEH :P.

5. I don't trust spring-water from the supermarket it's probably just water
from the tap :).

6. Boiling water probably don't help much and then there's the heath
problem... and just plain water a bit tasteless... can't add flavors from
supermarket since those contaminated as well/bad chemicals.

7. Hmm I just had an idea... maybe I can create my own flavors... but I just
remembed what I could drink: apple juice ! But carefull... they might lie
about what's in it...

8. So the idea I had was: Buy Banana's, Buy Apples, Buy Lemons... Buy all
kinds of fruit and make your/my own juicy. But I did hear banana's where
also being fed hermons/sort of steroids to get them from green to yellow.
Apples could have pesticides... but maybe only the shell ?... Don't know
about lemons ;) Strawberries ? Drapes... those could be mutated to make them
pitless ;)

Yup poor state we are in me thinks ;)

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Now the problem probably is that the scale in GoldWave doesn't mean much.

The problem also seems to be too many volume controls...

These could be seperated into:

1. Input volume controls.
2. Output volume controls.

The soundblaster/and/or windows has an input volume control for the mic...
during the recording it was a bit on low... about 25% or so I think... I am
not sure if this influences the recording but I would think so... so I would
have to re-test this again... but not gonna go through all the trouble of
going outside...

I am just gonna do some inside tests to see how much that makes an
influences on the recording... but I did do some recordings in the past with
the other fico mic... and I know it matters at least for realtime... so
probably also for recordings... there is also a mic boost which would again
change the scale/volume.

Then for playback there is also the volume issue... multiple volume
controls...

1. Receiver volume control
2. Soundblaster/and/or/windows volume control.
3. Player volume control like youtube or winamp.

For analyses purposes getting a grip on the input volume control would be a
good step in the correct direction.

What I probably need now is:

1. Information about the mic... what kind of recordings does it make ?

2. Maybe also some information about the soundblaster as the other guy
said... does the soundblaster do any amplification... how about windows ?
What to set the mic too...
Could get kinda complex.

See here I see how buying a seperate device might take care of all of
that... but then I would be mostly paying for a configuration issue... and
how do I know for sure if it was properly configured/calibrated ?!? Trust is
in the toilet these days so I can't trust anybody selling anything.

> Now the problem probably is that the scale in GoldWave doesn't mean much. > > The problem also seems to be too many volume controls... > > These could be seperated into: > > 1. Input volume controls. > 2. Output volume controls. > > The soundblaster/and/or windows has an input volume control for the mic... > during the recording it was a bit on low... about 25% or so I think... I > am not sure if this influences the recording but I would think so... so I > would have to re-test this again... but not gonna go through all the > trouble of going outside... > > I am just gonna do some inside tests to see how much that makes an > influences on the recording... but I did do some recordings in the past > with the other fico mic... and I know it matters at least for realtime... > so probably also for recordings... there is also a mic boost which would > again change the scale/volume. > > Then for playback there is also the volume issue... multiple volume > controls... > > 1. Receiver volume control > 2. Soundblaster/and/or/windows volume control. > 3. Player volume control like youtube or winamp. > > For analyses purposes getting a grip on the input volume control would be > a good step in the correct direction. > > What I probably need now is: > > 1. Information about the mic... what kind of recordings does it make ? > > 2. Maybe also some information about the soundblaster as the other guy > said... does the soundblaster do any amplification... how about windows ? > What to set the mic too... > Could get kinda complex. > > See here I see how buying a seperate device might take care of all of > that... but then I would be mostly paying for a configuration issue... and > how do I know for sure if it was properly configured/calibrated ?!? Trust > is in the toilet these days so I can't trust anybody selling anything.
I guess I am saying... I need certain garantuees ! Yeah baby ! ;) Bye, Skybuck =D
"Skybuck Flying" <BloodyShame@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, > > I have two microphones: > > 1. A Fica CMP-202 computer microphone. > > (I got it for free a long time ago from somebody.) > > 2. A Pyramid/Pole like microphone DM-A409 that came with my 7.1 Receiver > (Denon AVR 1909). > > (Bought this recently... seems quite an impressive microphone according > to some charts it was able to capture ?) > > Anyway I was wondering if these microphones are suited to do certain > sound measurements in either Db(A) or Db(C). (Maybe use GoldWave for > analyses ?) > > I want to measure the sound level that is coming from the > cars/trucks/busses outside. > (I want to measure the sound level outside and inside my living room). > > Would these microphones be suited for the task do you think ? > > I was also considering buying a special microphone like this one: > > http://www1.conrad.nl/scripts/wgate/zcop_nl3/~flN0YXRlPTE5MDM3OTk1OTk=?di > rekt_aufriss_area=SHOP_B2C_Metering&~template=PCAT_AREA_S_browse&p_page_t > o_display=&catalogs_sub_id=sub12&aktiv=12&navi=oben_1 > > Product is called: "SL-400 decibelmeter " (in dutch) > > Suppose the answer would be: "No your current microphones are not suited > for the task..." > > then I wonder what would be the difference between these microphones and > a specialized microphone ? > > Can anybody explain ?
http://www.digital-recordings.com/audiocd/radio.html Radio Shack meter is $50. -- Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
The e-mail replay from a Denon employee is funny:

"
The microphone is specifically calibrated to read the Audyssey tone from
the particular receiver it is supplied with. It is not designed to
record sound or to be used for any other purpose.
"

^^^ Wacky ^^^ :)

I could record the "Audyssey tone" would that do any good ?

Should I record it with the mic itself or another mic... would that make any
difference ?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

(The mic is clearly able to record any form of sound so what Denon wrote is
a bit whack ! :))

Bye,
  Skybuck.