Splattering solder into eye?

Started by Peter Hucker October 25, 2008
Peter Hucker wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 03:22:50 -0000, geoff <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> > wrote: > >> Peter Hucker wrote: >>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder >>> splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, >>> but never in my eye. How bad is it? >> >> Try it and see ! >> >> It hurts slightly more if you wear glasses and have to pay for new >> lenses. > > Odd, I know someone who wears glasses and didn't have to get new > lenses. What on earth are your glasses made of?
Some sort of very expensive coated plasrtic ;-( . At least they are replaceable ! geoff

Expensive perhaps, but not good value. My colleague's glasses are coated plastic, but not the expensive kind. -- http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com A Scotsman and a Jew went to a restaurant. After a hearty meal, the waitress came by with the inevitable check. To the amazement of all, the Scotsman was heard to say, "I'll pay it!" The next morning's newspaper carried the news item: "JEWISH VENTRILOQUIST FOUND MURDERED IN ALLEY".
"WW" <ccco@bresnan.net> wrote in message
> > "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message > news:op.ujk7x4q44buhsv@fx62.mshome.net... >> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering >> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my >> eye. How bad is it? >> >> -- >> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com >> http://www.petersphotos.com >> >> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines >> who's left." > > Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!
You need a pretty big blob to do permanent damage, but even a small one can be painful. Its something that happens sometimes - mine are usually on difficult solder joints when salvaging parts, sometimes a solder joint spits as you heat it. When harvesting components with a pencil blowtorch; the spitting can be hotter - but I hold the board looking at it edgewise, the spitting goes sideways and nowhere near my face.
On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? > > -- > http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com > > Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."
My opinion is I don't want to know what it feels like, ever. So I will continue wearing the glasses. YMMV.
Ron M. wrote:
>On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker wrote: >> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? >> >> -- >> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com >> >> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left." > >My opinion is I don't want to know what it feels like, ever. So I will >continue wearing the glasses. YMMV
Right, but most people don't learn from lecturers like you and reading stuff about safety and people bossing-around other people around. These people only learn from experience.
I have to chime in. I was once in an eye unit for something different. I splashed oven cleaner in my eye - NOT FUN.

Well there was a guy in the same waiting area as me. He got hot solder in his eye. Let's just say that he wasn't having fun. Really wasn't having fun. Like, screaming and bright red face and eye.

soo-- I'll just wear eye protection

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 3:54:26 AM UTC-6, bruce2...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ron M. wrote: > >On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker wrote: > >> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? > >> > >> -- > >> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com > >> > >> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left." > > > >My opinion is I don't want to know what it feels like, ever. So I will > >continue wearing the glasses. YMMV > > Right, but most people don't learn from lecturers like you and reading stuff about safety and people bossing-around other people around. > These people only learn from experience.
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? > > -- > http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com > > Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."
How are you managing to splatter solder that far? Solder melts, not explodes. Andy
On 2020-06-14, AK <scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker wrote: >> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? >> >> -- >> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com >> >> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left." > > How are you managing to splatter solder that far?
Here's one way: Form a small ring in one lead of a a leaded part (like like a through hole resistor, but this works best qith glass body diodes like IN4148) Put a blob of solder over the ring Now, hold the other lead with one hand (or in a vise), clean the tip of the soldering iron and use it to and wipe off the excess solder from the ring. If you pluck the lead (like a guitar string) it wil spring back flinging solder -- Jasen.
On 06/13/2020 06:08 PM, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2020-06-14, AK <scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote: >> On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker >> wrote: >>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder >>> splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and >>> face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? >>> >> How are you managing to splatter solder that far? > > Here's one way: > > Form a small ring in one lead of a a leaded part (like like a through > hole resistor, but this works best qith glass body diodes like > IN4148) Put a blob of solder over the ring > > Now, hold the other lead with one hand (or in a vise), clean the tip > of the soldering iron and use it to and wipe off the excess solder > from the ring. > > If you pluck the lead (like a guitar string) it wil spring back > flinging solder
I have a 132 oz. Blitz gas can that works similarly. I remove the outer cap and pull the springy retractable spout up until it clicks into place while flinging droplets into my face.
AK wrote:
> > How are you managing to splatter solder that far? > > Solder melts, not explodes.
Only a fool would believe that. I was re-soldering a lug on a tube socket of some Military surplus when I was about 16. The bad joint was full of rosin that tossed the solder about 18 inches and onto my bare thigh. It was summertime, and I didn't expect it. It was too hot for pants, so I received a nasty burn that took months to heal. It looked like someone had put out a cigar on my skin. The burn was bigger than a US nickle. I've had cheap rosin cored solder do similar, but not near as much molten solder. I switched to Ersin Multicore in 1970 and never looked back. -- Never piss off an Engineer! They don't get mad. They don't get even. They go for over unity! ;-)