Forums

Splattering solder into eye?

Started by Peter Hucker October 25, 2008
Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye?  I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye.  How bad is it?

-- 
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com    http://www.petersphotos.com

Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right.  War determines who's left."
"Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message 
news:op.ujk7x4q44buhsv@fx62.mshome.net...
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering > into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my > eye. How bad is it? > > -- > http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com > http://www.petersphotos.com > > Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's > left."
Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:18:23 +0100, WW <ccco@bresnan.net> wrote:

> "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message > news:op.ujk7x4q44buhsv@fx62.mshome.net... >> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering >> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my >> eye. How bad is it? > > Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!
It's quite a small risk, so I've never bothered. I only use a soldering iron perhaps once a month, and have done for 20 years. In all that time not one piece has hit my eye. If it lands on the skin, there is no mark left, and no lasting pain, so wouldn't I be fair to assume that the eye wouldn't be damaged any more than say a fly whacking into it while cycling? -- http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com Loose or missing nuts. Spank the monkey (Y/N)?
"Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message 
news:op.ujleqrp64buhsv@fx62.mshome.net...
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:18:23 +0100, WW <ccco@bresnan.net> wrote: > >> "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message >> news:op.ujk7x4q44buhsv@fx62.mshome.net... >>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering >>> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in >>> my >>> eye. How bad is it? >> >> Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES! > > It's quite a small risk, so I've never bothered. I only use a soldering > iron perhaps once a month, and have done for 20 years. In all that time > not one piece has hit my eye. > > If it lands on the skin, there is no mark left, and no lasting pain, so > wouldn't I be fair to assume that the eye wouldn't be damaged any more > than say a fly whacking into it while cycling?
I had it happen once when I was unsoldering a wire from a terminal, and when it came loose, a small piece of solder hit my eye. I think I even heard it sizzle. Luckily, it was a small piece and it hit the white of the eye, so it did not affect my vision, and eventually it worked its way out. Since then, I always wear glasses. Of course, now I also wear them so I can see what I'm doing. You should also always wear eye protection when cycling. A fly might not cause damage, but a bumblebee or other large insect could put an eye out. Paul
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:57:44 +0100, Paul E. Schoen <pstech@smart.net> wrote:

> > "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message > news:op.ujleqrp64buhsv@fx62.mshome.net... >> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:18:23 +0100, WW <ccco@bresnan.net> wrote: >> >>> "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message >>> news:op.ujk7x4q44buhsv@fx62.mshome.net... >>>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering >>>> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in >>>> my >>>> eye. How bad is it? >>> >>> Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES! >> >> It's quite a small risk, so I've never bothered. I only use a soldering >> iron perhaps once a month, and have done for 20 years. In all that time >> not one piece has hit my eye. >> >> If it lands on the skin, there is no mark left, and no lasting pain, so >> wouldn't I be fair to assume that the eye wouldn't be damaged any more >> than say a fly whacking into it while cycling? > > I had it happen once when I was unsoldering a wire from a terminal, and > when it came loose, a small piece of solder hit my eye. I think I even > heard it sizzle.
Do the eyelids not automatically close?
> Luckily, it was a small piece and it hit the white of the > eye, so it did not affect my vision, and eventually it worked its way out.
You mean it stayed there for a while? If it hits the skin, it usually knocks straight off.
> Since then, I always wear glasses.
Did it hurt?
> Of course, now I also wear them so I can see what I'm doing.
:-)
> You should also always wear eye protection when cycling. A fly might not > cause damage, but a bumblebee or other large insect could put an eye out.
I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff hitting a cyclist's eyes. -- http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com Don't waste money on binoculars, stand closer to the object.
> Do the eyelids not automatically close?
Yes -- right on the piece of solder.
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:57:30 +0100, "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote:

>Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it?
A friend, repairing a console TV that was too heavy to move by himself, got on his back under the TV and was replacing an electrolytic when a drop of solder fell into his eye. Ouch! It didn't hit the cornea, but it stuck to the white. In extreme pain he drive himself to the hospital. It had no lasting effect on his vision, but I suspect that had it landed on the cornea there would have been serious damage. Safety glasses are the order of the day in a situation like that! In ordinary, upright, circumstances I've never had a drop of solder even hit me in the face. But I learned early that when unsoldering a joint where wires may be under tension, they may sling solder when the solder melts. I pay attention to that possibility and restrain the wires. And, of course, wearing glasses of some kind is the prudent thing to do.
"Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message 
news:op.ujlgrqzd4buhsv@fx62.mshome.net...
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:57:44 +0100, Paul E. Schoen <pstech@smart.net> > wrote: > >> >> "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message >> news:op.ujleqrp64buhsv@fx62.mshome.net... >>> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:18:23 +0100, WW <ccco@bresnan.net> wrote: >>> >>>> "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message >>>> news:op.ujk7x4q44buhsv@fx62.mshome.net... >>>>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering >>>>> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in >>>>> my >>>>> eye. How bad is it? >>>> >>>> Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES! >>> >>> It's quite a small risk, so I've never bothered. I only use a soldering >>> iron perhaps once a month, and have done for 20 years. In all that time >>> not one piece has hit my eye. >>> >>> If it lands on the skin, there is no mark left, and no lasting pain, so >>> wouldn't I be fair to assume that the eye wouldn't be damaged any more >>> than say a fly whacking into it while cycling? >> >> I had it happen once when I was unsoldering a wire from a terminal, and >> when it came loose, a small piece of solder hit my eye. I think I even >> heard it sizzle. > > Do the eyelids not automatically close? > >> Luckily, it was a small piece and it hit the white of the >> eye, so it did not affect my vision, and eventually it worked its way >> out. > > You mean it stayed there for a while? If it hits the skin, it usually > knocks straight off. > >> Since then, I always wear glasses. > > Did it hurt? > >> Of course, now I also wear them so I can see what I'm doing. > > :-) > >> You should also always wear eye protection when cycling. A fly might not >> cause damage, but a bumblebee or other large insect could put an eye out. > > I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff > hitting a cyclist's eyes.
> > -I was trying out a new motor cycle on the way home from work and did not > have my riding gear. Only going to go around the block. A speck of > something entered my eye. It had to be surgically removed. This was > painfull until removed. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES.
> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com > http://www.petersphotos.com > > Don't waste money on binoculars, stand closer to the object.
Peter Hucker wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder > splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, > but never in my eye. How bad is it?
I think you'll find a much larger set of people that have picked up a soldering iron from the wrong end. Interestingly, you'll find that they probably never did it again though.
> > I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff
hitting a cyclist's eyes.
>
It happens. Some states have laws for motorcyclists requiring them to wear eye protection while riding. I've worn eyeglasses for many years, so I've never had anything hit me in the eye while riding a bicycle. But when it does, it's going to be at the worst possible time. Once I was leaning over the back of an open television set to squirt some tuner cleaner into it. Somehow that spray liquid shot back out through another hole in the mechanical tuner and managed to crawl over my glasses and hit me right smack in the eye. Yeah, it stung a little, but I did manage to wash it all out right away. Solder joints are mysterious creatures. One that looks perfectly normal can literally explode when touched by a soldering iron. I sure wouldn't want a piece of hot solder, no matter how small, to hit me in MY eye. Stick a soldering iron into a head of lettuce if you want to know what it sounds like.