a PC Based Oscilloscope?

Started by Talal Itani June 21, 2008
Hello,

My company wants to buy an oscilloscope.  The scope that meets our needs is
around $7,000.  I am sure we can save much money if we buy a PC-based unit,
like Picoscope.  Do you have experience with PC based scopes?  Do you
recommend them for serious work?

Thanks

"Talal Itani" <titani@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello, > > My company wants to buy an oscilloscope. The scope that meets our needs is around
$7,000. I am sure we can save much money if we
> buy a PC-based unit, like Picoscope. Do you have experience with PC based scopes?
Do you recommend them for serious work?
> > Thanks
You left out a vital part of information, what do you need the scope for? What kind of requirements do you have? M
On Jun 21, 1:16=EF=BF=BDpm, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello, > > My company wants to buy an oscilloscope. =EF=BF=BDThe scope that meets ou=
r needs is
> around $7,000. =EF=BF=BDI am sure we can save much money if we buy a PC-b=
ased unit,
> like Picoscope. =EF=BF=BDDo you have experience with PC based scopes? =EF=
=BF=BDDo you
> recommend them for serious work? > > Thanks
No, more so if you need a $7000 scope. Look on ebay if your that short of cash.
Which Picoscope are you looking at: http://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope-specifications.html At $11,990.00 or $2,390.00, the price or specs are better with the $7,000.00 scope, which ever scope that is. donald
Talal Itani wrote:
> Hello, > > My company wants to buy an oscilloscope. The scope that meets our needs is > around $7,000. I am sure we can save much money if we buy a PC-based unit, > like Picoscope. Do you have experience with PC based scopes? Do you > recommend them for serious work?
I don't really like them, no matter what the spec. It ties up a PC, for one thing. It makes it super non-portable. Just too many 'bits' floating about. -- Dirk http://www.transcendence.me.uk/ - Transcendence UK Remote Viewing classes in London

We are developing a board with a DSP, some logic, and some analog circuitry.
The scope will be used to debug the circuit, make sure signals are clean,
make sure timing is correct.  We should get a 4-channel 350 MHz scope, yet
these start at $7,000.  So, I thought maybe a PC-based scope would do the
job for less money.  I do not know, I never used PC-based scopes.

>> Thanks > > You left out a vital part of information, what do you need the scope for? > What kind of requirements do you have? > > M > > >

I am sorry, I did not understand what you are telling me.

Talal Itani wrote:
> > I am sorry, I did not understand what you are telling me.
Please do not remove attributions. Those are the initial lines that say "Whozit wrote". In addition avoid losing all quotations from previous messages by top-posting. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. See the following links: <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html> <http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html> <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> (taming google) <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/> (newusers) -- [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net) [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> Try the download section. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
Talal Itani wrote:
> I am sorry, I did not understand what you are telling me. >
You seem to be hung up on price. The picoscopes are ( see link) much higher or much lower then the $7,000. You have yet to mentioned which $7,000 scope you are looking at, so we can not compare the specifications of it with the picoscope devices. So, I ask outright, which scope are you looking at for $7,000. donald
> >> Which Picoscope are you looking at: >> >> http://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope-specifications.html >> >> At $11,990.00 or $2,390.00, the price or specs are better with the >> $7,000.00 scope, which ever scope that is. >> >> donald > >
"Talal Itani" <titani@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hello, > >My company wants to buy an oscilloscope. The scope that meets our needs is >around $7,000. I am sure we can save much money if we buy a PC-based unit, >like Picoscope. Do you have experience with PC based scopes? Do you >recommend them for serious work?
I've used Picoscope but I think they are crappy. There is no peak-detection which makes high frequency signals dissapear at low sweep rates. The number of sweeps (screen updates) is around 3 or 4 per second. Way too slow. And their software crashes every now and then. -- Programmeren in Almere? E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)