transformer core material

Started by Tom Del Rosso August 24, 2021
On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 04:44:02 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
<fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com> wrote:

>AIUI you use iron cores for low frequency and ferrite for high frequency >because ferrite doesn't get magnetized, so why couldn't aluminum do the >same?
An aluminium core would act as a short circuit. Will heat up and eventually melt. w.
Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> On 2021-08-27 08:07, Tom Del Rosso wrote: >> Jeroen Belleman wrote: >>> On 2021-08-26 04:25, Tom Del Rosso wrote: >>>> Jeroen Belleman wrote: >>>>> Tom Del Rosso wrote: >>>>>> AIUI you use iron cores for low frequency and ferrite for high >>>>>> frequency because ferrite doesn't get magnetized, so why couldn't >>>>>> aluminum do the same? >>>>> >>>>> You *want* a transformer core to be easily magnetized! You don't >>>>> want it to *stay* magnetized when the current goes to zero. >>>> >>>> Of course that's what I meant. It has to conduct a magnetic field >>>> but it must not fight the induced field when it reverses. >>>> >>>> I asked about the behavior of ferrite vs aluminum. >>>> >>>> >>> >>> The short answer is that aluminium is worse than nothing as a >>> transformer core. It *will* fight changing fields. >> >> That implies that it will "stay magnetized" as you put it, so the >> answer is too short but thanks for trying. >> >> > > Aluminium is a good conductor. There will be eddy currents induced > in it that will oppose any /change/ of magnetic field. Lenz law and > all that.But once external fields are removed and enough time has > passed for eddy currents to decay, there will be no field left over.
I know what you mean, but since the current only has the length of the core to travel it's hard to grasp how that produces more than a very short pulse. -- Defund the Thought Police
Helmut Wabnig wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 04:44:02 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso" > <fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com> wrote: > >> AIUI you use iron cores for low frequency and ferrite for high >> frequency because ferrite doesn't get magnetized, so why couldn't >> aluminum do the same? > An aluminium core would act as a short circuit. > Will heat up and eventually melt.
More so than an iron core?
Phil Allison wrote:
> Tom Del Rosso Total Fuckhead wrote: > ============================ >> >>> The short answer is that aluminium is worse than nothing as a >>> transformer core. It *will* fight changing fields. >> >> That implies that it will "stay magnetized" as you put it, so the >> answer is too short but thanks for trying. >> > > ** FUCK OFF you vile, arrogant, POS, wog asshole > > Never dream of coming back. > > > > > ..... Phil
HI PHIL! You know, in that study you're involved in, I think you're getting the placebo.
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 04:44:02 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso" > <fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com> wrote: > >> AIUI you use iron cores for low frequency and ferrite for high >> frequency because ferrite doesn't get magnetized, so why couldn't >> aluminum do the same? > An aluminium core would act as a short circuit. > Will heat up and eventually melt.
Is that so even if we assume that it's laminated?
> Helmut Wabnig wrote: >> On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 04:44:02 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso" >> <fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com> wrote: >> >>> AIUI you use iron cores for low frequency and ferrite for high >>> frequency because ferrite doesn't get magnetized, so why couldn't >>> aluminum do the same? >> An aluminium core would act as a short circuit. >> Will heat up and eventually melt. > > More so than an iron core?
what else being equal? -- Jasen.
On 2021-08-27 14:37, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Jeroen Belleman wrote: >> On 2021-08-27 08:07, Tom Del Rosso wrote: >>> Jeroen Belleman wrote: >>>> On 2021-08-26 04:25, Tom Del Rosso wrote: >>>>> Jeroen Belleman wrote: >>>>>> Tom Del Rosso wrote: >>>>>>> AIUI you use iron cores for low frequency and ferrite for high >>>>>>> frequency because ferrite doesn't get magnetized, so why couldn't >>>>>>> aluminum do the same? >>>>>> >>>>>> You *want* a transformer core to be easily magnetized! You don't >>>>>> want it to *stay* magnetized when the current goes to zero. >>>>> >>>>> Of course that's what I meant. It has to conduct a magnetic field >>>>> but it must not fight the induced field when it reverses. >>>>> >>>>> I asked about the behavior of ferrite vs aluminum. >>>>> >>>>> >>>> >>>> The short answer is that aluminium is worse than nothing as a >>>> transformer core. It *will* fight changing fields. >>> >>> That implies that it will "stay magnetized" as you put it, so the >>> answer is too short but thanks for trying. >>> >>> >> >> Aluminium is a good conductor. There will be eddy currents induced >> in it that will oppose any /change/ of magnetic field. Lenz law and >> all that.But once external fields are removed and enough time has >> passed for eddy currents to decay, there will be no field left over. > > I know what you mean, but since the current only has the length of the > core to travel it's hard to grasp how that produces more than a very > short pulse. >
I'm getting a bit tired of this. Learn about magnetic fields in conductors. You're in for some surprises, I'm sure. Jeroen Belleman
 Tom Del Rosso  =  TROLLING FUCKWIT ASSHOLE
====================================
> > > ** FUCK OFF you vile, arrogant, POS, wog asshole > > > > Never dream of coming back. > > > > > HI PHIL! > > You know, in that study you're involved in, I think you're getting the > placebo.
** Hi Tom, know that brain tumor you have ? Are you enjoying your daily seizures ? ..... Phil
Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> > I'm getting a bit tired of this. Learn about magnetic fields in > conductors. You're in for some surprises, I'm sure.
That's fine. You don't have to answer at all. I don't know why people enter a 'basics' group though, if not for basic questions.
On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 5:38:01 AM UTC-7, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Jeroen Belleman wrote: > > On 2021-08-27 08:07, Tom Del Rosso wrote: > >> Jeroen Belleman wrote: > >>> On 2021-08-26 04:25, Tom Del Rosso wrote: > >>>> Jeroen Belleman wrote: > >>>>> Tom Del Rosso wrote: > >>>>>> AIUI you use iron cores for low frequency and ferrite for high > >>>>>> frequency because ferrite doesn't get magnetized, so why couldn't > >>>>>> aluminum do the same?
> > Aluminium is a good conductor. There will be eddy currents induced > > in it that will oppose any /change/ of magnetic field. Lenz law and > > all that.But once external fields are removed and enough time has > > passed for eddy currents to decay, there will be no field left over.
> I know what you mean, but since the current only has the length of the > core to travel it's hard to grasp how that produces more than a very > short pulse.
The problem that a core solves, is flux coupling in multiple windings. The magnetizability of a core means that it contains and directs almost all the magnetic flux. A conductor will exclude flux, which is counterproductive; even the conductivity of iron is detrimental (so lamination, or iron powder, or nonconducting ferrite is employed). In induction motors, where the flux is intended NOT to change in the rotor (so the alternation of current rotates the rotor instead of changing its magnetization) there are aluminum parts to enhance the available torque. When/if you don't allow the rotor to move, those rotors burn up. Almost all induction motors have thermal protection components that open if/when the motor is stalled.