Forums

Use resistor instead of regulator?

Started by John Doe January 30, 2021
On Friday, February 5, 2021 at 11:51:24 PM UTC-5, RheillyPhoull wrote:
> On 6/02/2021 10:47 am, John Doe wrote: > > Nothing but a troll... > > > Takes one to recognize one oh brainless one.
You people with the off topic messages. What are you, toddlers in nursery school? Please quit ruining the Google group for everyone.
Stevo <newsolutionstech@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please quit ruining the Google group for everyone.
This is not a google group. This is a Usenet news group. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet The google groups UI simply provides an interface to the Usenet newsgroup you are reading.
Nym-shifting...

-- 
This is not a google group <not.google.group@not.google.invalid> wrote:

> Path: eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!aioe.org!nzqwpW7fgmak1IV6pg8vew.user.gioia.aioe.org.POSTED!not-for-mail > From: This is not a google group <not.google.group@not.google.invalid> > Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics > Subject: Re: Use resistor instead of regulator? > Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 18:50:12 +0000 (UTC) > Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server > Lines: 12 > Message-ID: <rvpcp4$179$1@gioia.aioe.org> > References: <rv455v$6ho$1@dont-email.me> <rv4oh1$cfb$1@dont-email.me> <rv6617$2rs$9@dont-email.me> <rv6ijs$qed$1@dont-email.me> <rv8ogi$sku$8@dont-email.me> <5dbc9fbb-777c-4858-9f31-91d20a48b662n@googlegroups.com> <rvk7vh$9ur$1@dont-email.me> <j6ednUKFPdihf4D9nZ2dnUU7-KGdnZ2d@westnet.com.au> <rvkvv8$t8p$1@dont-email.me> <YK2dncDa-sLZvYP9nZ2dnUU7-KGdnZ2d@westnet.com.au> <3ab8bebc-958c-4927-bd09-816db03a56e2n@googlegroups.com> > NNTP-Posting-Host: nzqwpW7fgmak1IV6pg8vew.user.gioia.aioe.org > X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org > X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.9.2 > Xref: reader02.eternal-september.org sci.electronics.basics:55522 > > Stevo <newsolutionstech@gmail.com> wrote: >> Please quit ruining the Google group for everyone. > > This is not a google group. > > This is a Usenet news group. > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet > > The google groups UI simply provides an interface to the Usenet > newsgroup you are reading. > >
On 8/02/2021 12:02 am, Stevo wrote:
> On Friday, February 5, 2021 at 11:51:24 PM UTC-5, RheillyPhoull wrote: >> On 6/02/2021 10:47 am, John Doe wrote: >>> Nothing but a troll... >>> >> Takes one to recognize one oh brainless one. > > > You people with the off topic messages. What are you, toddlers in nursery school? Please quit ruining the Google group for everyone. >
Well Neeny Narny Noo google grooper !!
On 2/1/2021 5:26 AM, John Doe wrote:
> Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote: > >> John Doe wrote: >>> Rich wrote: >>>> John Doe wrote: >>>>> I can put a resistor after a voltage that's too high for the circuit? >>>>> >>>>> Of course the resistor must handle the current. >>>>> >>>>> A decoupling capacitor after the resistor. >>>>> >>>>> Any problems with that? >>>> If your load has a variable current draw, then you will also have a >>>> variable voltage on the load side of the resistor. >>> If it's a big capacitor, the voltage variation is minimal? >> No, the size of the capacitor simply determines the rate at which the >> voltage changes. > Then your answer should be "Yes", given the same amount of time. > > Why are you fighting this? > > Do you think it makes you look smart?
&nbsp;Now you have made yourself look ignorant, which you are, otherwise you would not have ask the question. &nbsp;Say your device needs 9V and you have a 12V source. At some point in time you measure the current your device draws and it is 20ma, so you decide you need a series 150 ohm resistor.&nbsp; You have it all figured out. Then at some point it fails to work. At some point the motor in this device (the one you didn't explain ) turns on and the voltage drops to 4 volts causing the circuit to fail to operate. &nbsp;Do you want to calculate the capacitance needed to keep you supply voltage within 5% of your required 9v? Or do you want to just admit it is a big ass cap and a regulator may be better. On the other hand you could give us details of the circuit, so it would not be a guessing game. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Mikek -- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
As discussed in the design group thread, a low dropout regulator looks good.

I'm easy.

-- 
amdx <amdx@knology.net> wrote:

> Path: eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail > From: amdx <amdx@knology.net> > Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics > Subject: Re: Use resistor instead of regulator? > Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 19:08:48 -0600 > Organization: A noiseless patient Spider > Lines: 56 > Message-ID: <s02032$24j$1@dont-email.me> > References: <rv455v$6ho$1@dont-email.me> <rv4oh1$cfb$1@dont-email.me> <rv6617$2rs$9@dont-email.me> <rv6ijs$qed$1@dont-email.me> <rv8ogi$sku$8@dont-email.me> > Mime-Version: 1.0 > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit > Injection-Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 01:08:50 -0000 (UTC) > Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="a7beaec07e85e5e30d97199ae0ac4d1e"; logging-data="2195"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19Ref1YlAJRe+Rs91ys8cv4" > User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/78.7.0 > Cancel-Lock: sha1:C4Uav+90TmtHgqpw1b4SgwxfBSk= > In-Reply-To: <rv8ogi$sku$8@dont-email.me> > X-Antivirus-Status: Clean > Content-Language: en-US > X-Antivirus: Avast (VPS 210210-4, 02/10/2021), Outbound message > Xref: reader02.eternal-september.org sci.electronics.basics:55525 > > On 2/1/2021 5:26 AM, John Doe wrote: >> Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote: >> >>> John Doe wrote: >>>> Rich wrote: >>>>> John Doe wrote: >>>>>> I can put a resistor after a voltage that's too high for the circuit? >>>>>> >>>>>> Of course the resistor must handle the current. >>>>>> >>>>>> A decoupling capacitor after the resistor. >>>>>> >>>>>> Any problems with that? >>>>> If your load has a variable current draw, then you will also have a >>>>> variable voltage on the load side of the resistor. >>>> If it's a big capacitor, the voltage variation is minimal? >>> No, the size of the capacitor simply determines the rate at which the >>> voltage changes. >> Then your answer should be "Yes", given the same amount of time. >> >> Why are you fighting this? >> >> Do you think it makes you look smart? > > &#2013266102;&#2013266175;Now you have made yourself look ignorant, which you are, otherwise you > would not have ask the question. > > &#2013266102;&#2013266175;Say your device needs 9V and you have a 12V source. At some point in > time you measure the current your device draws and it is > > 20ma, so you decide you need a series 150 ohm resistor.&#2013266102;&#2013266175; You have it all > figured out. Then at some point it fails to work. > > At some point the motor in this device (the one you didn't explain ) > turns on and the voltage drops to 4 volts causing the circuit to fail to > operate. > > &#2013266102;&#2013266175;Do you want to calculate the capacitance needed to keep you supply > voltage within 5% of your required 9v? > > Or do you want to just admit it is a big ass cap and a regulator may be > better. > > On the other hand you could give us details of the circuit, so it would > not be a guessing game. > > &#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175;&#2013266102;&#2013266175; Mikek > > > > > > -- > This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. > https://www.avast.com/antivirus > > >
On 2/10/2021 8:43 PM, John Doe wrote:
> As discussed in the design group thread, a low dropout regulator looks good. > > I'm easy. >
I see you keep posting all the header information, what is the purpose of that? I don't know enough about it to glean anything from it, what are you getting from it? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Mikek -- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
In sci.electronics.basics amdx <amdx@knology.net> wrote:
> On 2/10/2021 8:43 PM, John Doe wrote: >> As discussed in the design group thread, a low dropout regulator >> looks good. >> >> I'm easy. >> > I see you keep posting all the header information, what is the > purpose of that?
That appears to be Mr Doe's signal that he has switched into troll mode. If you read through the first few posts in this thread, you'll see that Mr Doe is indeed quite capable of proper quoting. But once he appears to get ticked off, he toggles into troll mode and starts quoting excessive header information (and top posting as well). He seems to have a very Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde aspect to his postings.
On 2/11/2021 9:21 AM, Bertrand Sindri wrote:
> In sci.electronics.basics amdx <amdx@knology.net> wrote: >> On 2/10/2021 8:43 PM, John Doe wrote: >>> As discussed in the design group thread, a low dropout regulator >>> looks good. >>> >>> I'm easy. >>> >> I see you keep posting all the header information, what is the >> purpose of that? > That appears to be Mr Doe's signal that he has switched into troll > mode. > > If you read through the first few posts in this thread, you'll see that > Mr Doe is indeed quite capable of proper quoting. But once he appears > to get ticked off, he toggles into troll mode and starts quoting > excessive header information (and top posting as well). > > He seems to have a very Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde aspect to his postings. >
But that takes extra effort on his part, what is his purpose in doing it? He's trying to accomplish something with the action. John Doe, what's up? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Mikek -- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
What part of "I'm easy" don't you understand?

-- 
Bertrand Sindri <bertrand.sindri@dont.spam.me@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Path: eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!aioe.org!nzqwpW7fgmak1IV6pg8vew.user.gioia.aioe.org.POSTED!not-for-mail > From: Bertrand Sindri <bertrand.sindri@dont.spam.me@yahoo.com> > Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics > Subject: Re: Use resistor instead of regulator? > Followup-To: sci.electronics.basics > Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 15:21:38 +0000 (UTC) > Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server > Lines: 20 > Message-ID: <s03i22$1rhu$1@gioia.aioe.org> > References: <rv455v$6ho$1@dont-email.me> <rv4oh1$cfb$1@dont-email.me> <rv6617$2rs$9@dont-email.me> <rv6ijs$qed$1@dont-email.me> <rv8ogi$sku$8@dont-email.me> <s02032$24j$1@dont-email.me> <s025kl$ueb$2@dont-email.me> <s03e48$f5h$1@dont-email.me> > NNTP-Posting-Host: nzqwpW7fgmak1IV6pg8vew.user.gioia.aioe.org > X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org > X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.9.2 > Xref: reader02.eternal-september.org sci.electronics.basics:55528 > > In sci.electronics.basics amdx <amdx@knology.net> wrote: >> On 2/10/2021 8:43 PM, John Doe wrote: >>> As discussed in the design group thread, a low dropout regulator >>> looks good. >>> >>> I'm easy. >>> >> I see you keep posting all the header information, what is the >> purpose of that? > > That appears to be Mr Doe's signal that he has switched into troll > mode. > > If you read through the first few posts in this thread, you'll see that > Mr Doe is indeed quite capable of proper quoting. But once he appears > to get ticked off, he toggles into troll mode and starts quoting > excessive header information (and top posting as well). > > He seems to have a very Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde aspect to his postings. > > >