Forums

Power supply current?

Started by Peter Percival April 9, 2020
I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments with 
thermionic valves.  What would be a suitable current?
In article <r6nhhe$k81$1@news.albasani.net>, peterxpercival@hotmail.com 
says...
> > I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments with > thermionic valves. What would be a suitable current? > >
It would be helpful if you would list some of the valves numbers and how many valves you plan on operating at one time. Do not forget that you need the filiment voltage also. That could be 5, 6.3, 12.6, just to start with. You may need other voltages, but they are the most common. The current for one valve could run from 50 to 200 ma.
Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <r6nhhe$k81$1@news.albasani.net>, peterxpercival@hotmail.com > says... >> >> I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments with >> thermionic valves. What would be a suitable current? >> >> > > It would be helpful if you would list some of the valves numbers and how
Not yet decided! Bog standard AF triodes, probably.
> many valves you plan on operating at one time. Do not forget that you > need the filiment voltage also. That could be 5, 6.3, 12.6, just to > start with. You may need other voltages, but they are the most common. > > The current for one valve could run from 50 to 200 ma.
Recommendations for suitable PSUs?
On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 17:47:17 +0100, Peter Percival
<peterxpercival@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ralph Mowery wrote: >> In article <r6nhhe$k81$1@news.albasani.net>, peterxpercival@hotmail.com >> says... >>> >>> I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments with >>> thermionic valves. What would be a suitable current? >>> >>> >> >> It would be helpful if you would list some of the valves numbers and how > >Not yet decided! Bog standard AF triodes, probably.
The chosen tube and power level and class of operation would be helpful. A visit to a "ham fest" or some such might yield a suitable PS. They call the old stuff - "boat anchors" because they are heavy. I picked up a 0 - 1,000 Volt at one amp - For $15. I couldn't even buy the variac for that price. It was built by a master on a 19" rack panel, with metered output. I took out the ancient diodes put in some modern ones and put a filament transformer in the space it opened up.
> >> many valves you plan on operating at one time. Do not forget that you >> need the filiment voltage also. That could be 5, 6.3, 12.6, just to >> start with. You may need other voltages, but they are the most common. >> >> The current for one valve could run from 50 to 200 ma. > >Recommendations for suitable PSUs? >
Peter Percival wrote:

---------------------
> I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments with > thermionic valves. What would be a suitable current? >
** If you are not competent to make yourself one - you need to think of another way to waste spare time. BTW This has all the signs of being a stupid troll. ..... Phil
Phil Allison wrote:
> Peter Percival wrote: > > --------------------- >> I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments with >> thermionic valves. What would be a suitable current? >> > > > ** If you are not competent to make yourself one
I'd love to. Please point me in the direction of a circuit diagram.
> - you need to think of another way to waste spare time. > > BTW This has all the signs of being a stupid troll. > > > ..... Phil >
On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 10:27:14 +0100, Peter Percival
<peterxpercival@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Phil Allison wrote: >> Peter Percival wrote: >> >> --------------------- >>> I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments with >>> thermionic valves. What would be a suitable current? >>> >> >> >> ** If you are not competent to make yourself one > >I'd love to. Please point me in the direction of a circuit diagram.
I guess you're new to the Internet? They have these things called "search engines" and all you gotta do is put a few words in, and it spits out sites that have what you want, links and all! https://diyaudioprojects.com/Schematics/
>
>> - you need to think of another way to waste spare time. >> >> BTW This has all the signs of being a stupid troll. >> >> >> ..... Phil >>
default wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 10:27:14 +0100, Peter Percival > <peterxpercival@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> Phil Allison wrote: >>> Peter Percival wrote: >>> >>> --------------------- >>>> I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments with >>>> thermionic valves. What would be a suitable current? >>>> >>> >>> >>> ** If you are not competent to make yourself one >> >> I'd love to. Please point me in the direction of a circuit diagram. > > I guess you're new to the Internet? They have these things called > "search engines" and all you gotta do is put a few words in, and it > spits out sites that have what you want, links and all! > > https://diyaudioprojects.com/Schematics/
Your sarcasm is misplaced because there is no circuit diagram for a variable voltage power supply on that page.
>> > >>> - you need to think of another way to waste spare time. >>> >>> BTW This has all the signs of being a stupid troll. >>> >>> >>> ..... Phil >>> >
On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 15:31:29 +0100, Peter Percival
<peterxpercival@hotmail.com> wrote:

>default wrote: >> On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 10:27:14 +0100, Peter Percival >> <peterxpercival@hotmail.com> wrote: >> >>> Phil Allison wrote: >>>> Peter Percival wrote: >>>> >>>> --------------------- >>>>> I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments with >>>>> thermionic valves. What would be a suitable current? >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> ** If you are not competent to make yourself one >>> >>> I'd love to. Please point me in the direction of a circuit diagram. >> >> I guess you're new to the Internet? They have these things called >> "search engines" and all you gotta do is put a few words in, and it >> spits out sites that have what you want, links and all! >> >> https://diyaudioprojects.com/Schematics/ > >Your sarcasm is misplaced because there is no circuit diagram for a >variable voltage power supply on that page.
"I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments with thermionic valves. What would be a suitable current?" Where in that statement do you see variable supply? I wish to buy wings so I can fly, what would be a suitable altitude? You put a variable transformer on any of those PS and you have a variable output. Lot's easier than a solid state regulator and current limit operating at 500 V. Dude, you are establishing yourself as a troll. Derision is warranted, sarcasm be damned. You seem to have no clear idea what you want, and that is pretty much where all designs start - a goal. Without a goal you are just wasting everyone's time.
>>> >> >>>> - you need to think of another way to waste spare time. >>>> >>>> BTW This has all the signs of being a stupid troll. >>>> >>>> >>>> ..... Phil >>>> >>
On 10/04/2020 10:31 pm, Peter Percival wrote:
> default wrote: >> On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 10:27:14 +0100, Peter Percival >> <peterxpercival@hotmail.com> wrote: >> >>> Phil Allison wrote: >>>> Peter Percival wrote: >>>> >>>> --------------------- >>>>> I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments >>>>> with >>>>> thermionic valves.&nbsp; What would be a suitable current? >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> ** If you are not competent to make yourself one >>> >>> I'd love to.&nbsp; Please point me in the direction of a circuit diagram. >> >> I guess you're new to the Internet?&nbsp; They have these things called >> "search engines" and all you gotta do is put a few words in, and it >> spits out sites that have what you want, links and all! >> >> https://diyaudioprojects.com/Schematics/ > > Your sarcasm is misplaced because there is no circuit diagram for a > variable voltage power supply on that page. >>> >> >>>> - you need to think of another way to waste spare time. >>>> >>>> BTW This has all the signs of being a stupid troll. >>>> >>>> >>>> .....&nbsp;&nbsp; Phil >>>> >> >
Go to DIY Audio Projects and click on say "Mini Block Push-Pull EL84 (6BQ5) Valve Amplifiers" and just use the power supply part of the circuit.