Forums

Connection from camera to TV

Started by AK July 20, 2019
Due to a recent theft, I want to get this B/W security camera going.

At one time, I had the output going to my TV.

The one pic shows the connector at the other end of the camera cabling.

My TV has a video input using a RCA connector.

Is there some adaptor I need?

https://imgur.com/QDxOKBI

https://imgur.com/1I6SPe4
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 6:15:58 PM UTC-7, AK wrote:
> Due to a recent theft, I want to get this B/W security camera going. > > At one time, I had the output going to my TV. > > The one pic shows the connector at the other end of the camera cabling. > > My TV has a video input using a RCA connector. > > Is there some adaptor I need?
<https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZOSI-BNC-Male-to-RCA-Female-COAX-BNC-Connector-Adapter-for-CCTV-Camera-US-10-Pack-SP-DC-BM-RF-10/307984031> The camera has a BNC (bayonet type) connector that won't pull loose; that's important for such cameras if they're mounted in out-of-the-way places. The cable from camera to TV should be BNC on both ends, IMHO, with a BNC/RCA adapter at the TV. There are digital recorders with BNC inputs that usually serve such cameras,
On 21/07/2019 9:15 am, AK wrote:
> Due to a recent theft, I want to get this B/W security camera going. > > At one time, I had the output going to my TV. > > The one pic shows the connector at the other end of the camera cabling. > > My TV has a video input using a RCA connector. > > Is there some adaptor I need? > > https://imgur.com/QDxOKBI > > https://imgur.com/1I6SPe4 >
You could solder an RCA plug onto the cable instead.
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 18:15:55 -0700 (PDT), AK
<scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote:

>Due to a recent theft, I want to get this B/W security camera going. > >At one time, I had the output going to my TV. > >The one pic shows the connector at the other end of the camera cabling. > >My TV has a video input using a RCA connector. > >Is there some adaptor I need? > >https://imgur.com/QDxOKBI > >https://imgur.com/1I6SPe4
I would call it a BNC Female to RCA male adapter, but look at a picture to be sure of what you are getting. https://tinyurl.com/yy463mz3 With shipping, ten may cost as much as one. I didn't look for it, but it may also be possible to find cables with the appropriate connectors on them if you need to lengthen the wire run.
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 4:01:54 AM UTC-5, default wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 18:15:55 -0700 (PDT), AK > <scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote: > > >Due to a recent theft, I want to get this B/W security camera going. > > > >At one time, I had the output going to my TV. > > > >The one pic shows the connector at the other end of the camera cabling. > > > >My TV has a video input using a RCA connector. > > > >Is there some adaptor I need? > > > >https://imgur.com/QDxOKBI > > > >https://imgur.com/1I6SPe4 > > I would call it a BNC Female to RCA male adapter, but look at a > picture to be sure of what you are getting. > > https://tinyurl.com/yy463mz3 > > With shipping, ten may cost as much as one. I didn't look for it, but > it may also be possible to find cables with the appropriate connectors > on them if you need to lengthen the wire run.
I ordered the 10 piece pack for $7. I should not run out. :-) Andy
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 20:22:48 -0700 (PDT), AK
<scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 4:01:54 AM UTC-5, default wrote: >> On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 18:15:55 -0700 (PDT), AK >> <scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> >Due to a recent theft, I want to get this B/W security camera going. >> > >> >At one time, I had the output going to my TV. >> > >> >The one pic shows the connector at the other end of the camera cabling. >> > >> >My TV has a video input using a RCA connector. >> > >> >Is there some adaptor I need? >> > >> >https://imgur.com/QDxOKBI >> > >> >https://imgur.com/1I6SPe4 >> >> I would call it a BNC Female to RCA male adapter, but look at a >> picture to be sure of what you are getting. >> >> https://tinyurl.com/yy463mz3 >> >> With shipping, ten may cost as much as one. I didn't look for it, but >> it may also be possible to find cables with the appropriate connectors >> on them if you need to lengthen the wire run. > >I ordered the 10 piece pack for $7. > >I should not run out. :-) > >Andy
I had to increase the length of a camera cable and found coax, BNC M to BNC M cables and it was cheaper to use a F-F adapter at the camera end. So I bought ten.....
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 9:03:41 PM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote:
> On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 6:15:58 PM UTC-7, AK wrote: > > Due to a recent theft, I want to get this B/W security camera going. > > > > At one time, I had the output going to my TV. > > > > The one pic shows the connector at the other end of the camera cabling. > > > > My TV has a video input using a RCA connector. > > > > Is there some adaptor I need? > > <https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZOSI-BNC-Male-to-RCA-Female-COAX-BNC-Connector-Adapter-for-CCTV-Camera-US-10-Pack-SP-DC-BM-RF-10/307984031> > > The camera has a BNC (bayonet type) connector that won't pull loose; that's > important for such cameras if they're mounted in out-of-the-way places. The > cable from camera to TV should be BNC on both ends, IMHO, with a BNC/RCA > adapter at the TV. There are digital recorders with BNC inputs that usually > serve such cameras,
I should have posted this also. What are my recording options? I have a computer but would probably need some kind of card for the video input from the camera. I found a DVR with hard drive, but do not need the "fancy stuff" like monitoring it via my smart phone. I would like: 1. Record the video 2. Play it back on my tv 3. Be able to copy videos to an outside source like SD card Thanks, Andy Andy
On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 1:24:23 PM UTC-7, AK wrote:
> On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 9:03:41 PM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote: > > On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 6:15:58 PM UTC-7, AK wrote: > > > Due to a recent theft, I want to get this B/W security camera going.
> What are my recording options?
> I would like: > > 1. Record the video > 2. Play it back on my tv > 3. Be able to copy videos to an outside source like SD card
There are lots of point-and-shoot cameras, with movietaking modes, that can do all of that; expect to pay $10 or so at thrift stores... you'll need to supply power, and tend the camera (it stops when it fills its SD card), and there's often a special cord to connect it to a computer (USB) or television (HDMI, composite video, USB... depends on the TV). Wireless (WiFi) is sometimes available, too. For something that does set-and-forget monitoring, the dedicated boxes with hard drives are more convenient. Your camera probably came with one of these. It's only money... Somewhere inbetween are the wildlife-camera items; low power, motion sensing with timestamps. Search for 'critter cam' is productive.
On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 19:49:01 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 1:24:23 PM UTC-7, AK wrote: >> On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 9:03:41 PM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote: >> > On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 6:15:58 PM UTC-7, AK wrote: >> > > Due to a recent theft, I want to get this B/W security camera going. > >> What are my recording options? > >> I would like: >> >> 1. Record the video >> 2. Play it back on my tv >> 3. Be able to copy videos to an outside source like SD card > >There are lots of point-and-shoot cameras, with movietaking modes, that can >do all of that; expect to pay $10 or so at thrift stores... you'll need >to supply power, and tend the camera (it stops when it fills its SD card), >and there's often a special cord to connect it to a computer (USB) or >television (HDMI, composite video, USB... depends on the TV). Wireless >(WiFi) is sometimes available, too. > >For something that does set-and-forget monitoring, the dedicated boxes >with hard drives are more convenient. Your camera probably came >with one of these. It's only money... > >Somewhere inbetween are the wildlife-camera items; low power, motion sensing with >timestamps. Search for 'critter cam' is productive.
I rigged a few cameras to do time lapse photography. In one case it was a $10 point and shoot and a $20. (both new) It took a fair amount of arm wavin' and hed skrachen to get them working. I used a programmable controller to: Turn on the camera and wait for it to initialize, snap the picture, shut down, delay (variable set with switches) repeat, and check the light levels so it would shut down at night.. Both cameras (in that price class at least) just wrote over the pictures in memory. The $10 version held ~100 pix (90-100) and the $20 about 1,000. The $20 had another eccentricity that the controller had to handle - the more stored pictures it had, the longer it took to initialize. I mounted them at the bow of my kayak, attached to bridges, near boat ramps, busy shopping centers, city hall, etc.. High tech voyeurism. Water proofing was a challenge.
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 9:03:41 PM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote:
> On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 6:15:58 PM UTC-7, AK wrote: > > Due to a recent theft, I want to get this B/W security camera going. > > > > At one time, I had the output going to my TV. > > > > The one pic shows the connector at the other end of the camera cabling. > > > > My TV has a video input using a RCA connector. > > > > Is there some adaptor I need? > > <https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZOSI-BNC-Male-to-RCA-Female-COAX-BNC-Connector-Adapter-for-CCTV-Camera-US-10-Pack-SP-DC-BM-RF-10/307984031> > > The camera has a BNC (bayonet type) connector that won't pull loose; that's > important for such cameras if they're mounted in out-of-the-way places. The > cable from camera to TV should be BNC on both ends, IMHO, with a BNC/RCA > adapter at the TV. There are digital recorders with BNC inputs that usually > serve such cameras,
I got the adapter in today. It works great. Hooked it up to my TV. The camera is a bit old, Black and White and maybe 720p resolution. But any perp could be easily identified. :-) Andy "It is always too soon to quit." Rick Warren