Forums

Pretty useless soldering iron

Started by AK June 17, 2019
I bought this thing.

It has setting to adjust but it does NOT maintain anything like a set temperature.

I left it on one night at the 300 setting.

When I woke up the next day and say that it was on, I noticed that the tip was slightly glowing.

https://i.imgur.com/qhM1Ymo.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Soldering-Iron-Gun-Adjustable-Temperature-60W-Welding-Set-Tool-Kit-110V/372172941590?epid=18028313401&hash=item56a73c6916:g:XS0AAOSw2NhcnXZY

I now use it to melt holes in plastic, pvc, melt a hole thru fabric, etc.

Andy
On 06/17/2019 07:34 AM, AK wrote:
> I bought this thing. > > It has setting to adjust but it does NOT maintain anything like a set temperature. > > I left it on one night at the 300 setting.
300 Celsius, that's 572 Fahrenheit.
> When I woke up the next day and say that it was on, I noticed that the tip was slightly glowing.
The elements in our electric oven sure glow at temperatures lower than 572 degrees F.
> https://i.imgur.com/qhM1Ymo.jpg > > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Soldering-Iron-Gun-Adjustable-Temperature-60W-Welding-Set-Tool-Kit-110V/372172941590?epid=18028313401&hash=item56a73c6916:g:XS0AAOSw2NhcnXZY > > I now use it to melt holes in plastic, pvc, melt a hole thru fabric, etc.
60 watts is sort of, too much.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 08:28:53 -0700, Banders wrote:

> On 06/17/2019 07:34 AM, AK wrote: >> I bought this thing. >> >> It has setting to adjust but it does NOT maintain anything like a set >> temperature. >> >> I left it on one night at the 300 setting. > > 300 Celsius, that's 572 Fahrenheit. > >> When I woke up the next day and say that it was on, I noticed that the >> tip was slightly glowing.
You're not supposed to leave them on overnight!
> The elements in our electric oven sure glow at temperatures lower than > 572 degrees F. > >> https://i.imgur.com/qhM1Ymo.jpg >> >> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Soldering-Iron-Gun-Adjustable-
Temperature-60W-Welding-Set-Tool-Kit-110V/372172941590? epid=18028313401&hash=item56a73c6916:g:XS0AAOSw2NhcnXZY
Yes, more than double. 15W to 25W is ideal for electronics. -- This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 08:28:53 -0700, Banders <snap@mailchute.com>
wrote:

>On 06/17/2019 07:34 AM, AK wrote: >> I bought this thing. >> >> It has setting to adjust but it does NOT maintain anything like a set temperature. >> >> I left it on one night at the 300 setting. > >300 Celsius, that's 572 Fahrenheit. > >> When I woke up the next day and say that it was on, I noticed that the tip was slightly glowing. > >The elements in our electric oven sure glow at temperatures lower than >572 degrees F. > >> https://i.imgur.com/qhM1Ymo.jpg >> >> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Soldering-Iron-Gun-Adjustable-Temperature-60W-Welding-Set-Tool-Kit-110V/372172941590?epid=18028313401&hash=item56a73c6916:g:XS0AAOSw2NhcnXZY >> >> I now use it to melt holes in plastic, pvc, melt a hole thru fabric, etc. > >60 watts is sort of, too much. > >> Andy >
I ain't no x-spurt, but 300 Celsius is 573 Kelvin and that is light at a wavelength of ~5,000+ nanometers and human vision is generally accepted to be 400-750 so 5,000 is outside the range of humans. The electric oven has relatively small volume heating elements that are expected to heat a large area quickly so have to get into the visible range to do it.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 07:34:27 -0700 (PDT), AK wrote:

>I bought this thing. > >It has setting to adjust but it does NOT maintain anything like a set temperature. > >I left it on one night at the 300 setting. > >When I woke up the next day and say that it was on, I noticed that the tip was slightly glowing. > >https://i.imgur.com/qhM1Ymo.jpg > >https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Soldering-Iron-Gun-Adjustable-Temperature-60W-Welding-Set-Tool-Kit-110V/372172941590?epid=18028313401&hash=item56a73c6916:g:XS0AAOSw2NhcnXZY > >I now use it to melt holes in plastic, pvc, melt a hole thru fabric, etc.
It may be that it isn't actually temperature controlled but the dial simply adjusts the power level. If you have a mains power meter you can check quite easily as the control will just vary the current but it will never shut off at temperature. I got a https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273879662615 which is temperature controlled and I'm very pleased with it. Have a look at soldering stations (or rework stations) because you can get them with a bench power supply built in, both voltage and max current adjustable, which might be useful to you in your journey into the land of electronics (although a separate bench psu can be had) :-) -- Regards - Rodney Pont The from address exists but is mostly dumped, please send any emails to the address below e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com
On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 08:28:53 -0700, Banders wrote:

>The elements in our electric oven sure glow at temperatures lower than >572 degrees F.
I bet they don't. The oven is set at a lower temperature but the heating elements get much hotter than that otherwise they would never be able to get the volume of air up to 572. -- Regards - Rodney Pont The from address exists but is mostly dumped, please send any emails to the address below e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com
In article <qe8jag$amj$1@dont-email.me>, curd@notformail.com says...
> > 60 watts is sort of, too much. > > Yes, more than double. 15W to 25W is ideal for electronics. > > > >
It depends on the iron. For the simple ones probably. They just depend on heat loss in air to the amount of power they draw to hold the temperature close to what you want. For a good temperature controled iron 60 watts is fine. You set it for the temperature you want. The small tips for the printed circuit and especially the SMD work loose heat very fast, so they need more power to bring it back up when the tip is touched to the work.
On 06/17/2019 07:34 AM, AK wrote:
> I bought this thing.
> When I woke up the next day and say that it was on, I noticed that the tip was slightly glowing.
> I now use it to melt holes in plastic, pvc, melt a hole thru fabric, etc.
Install indoor fire sprinklers immediately. You can use the iron to solder the copper pipe.
Well that'll learnya. What do you think you get for ten bucks ? The knob, do you REALLY think there is a thermostat under there connected to a thermal sensor near the tip ? NOOO, that is a rheostat. Those temperatures were calculated by someone who may know math but not all the variables.

They always said to use a low wattage iron on circuit boards. Well I used a Weller 8200 gun, 100/140 watts. As I soldered I turned it on and off with the trigger, maintaining the temperature I wanted.

Now my iron is about 60 watts I think but it is thermostatically controlled. Your iron can be five million watts if the temperature is properly regulated. Of course if you're a real idiot you could burn through a board faster with a temperature controlled higher power iron, but I doubt that's in the warranty.

[just noticed my iron was still on, hmmm]

So I thik I paid like $60 for mine which is pretty good I think. Friend of mine paid a hundred and change for a Hakko which is a VERY good brand. I got an elcheapo but it is a good elcheapo. When it hits the dust I guess I'll have to go with the Hakko because I want it to work right. I need to effectively solder these boards without damage and I need what I need.

Tell you what, rather than that piece of shit, just get the absolute cheapest thing Hakko has and it will be orders of magnitude better. You'll love it. I've used them.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 23:09:51 -0700 (PDT), jurb6006@gmail.com wrote:

>Well that'll learnya. What do you think you get for ten bucks ? The knob, do you REALLY think there is a thermostat under there connected to a thermal sensor near the tip ? NOOO, that is a rheostat. Those temperatures were calculated by someone who may know math but not all the variables.
Yeah they don't invest a lot of money on those things. But, if el-cheapo hot-melt glue guns can incorporate a thermostat, it is conceivable that a cheap soldering iron may. Snap-action (bi-metallic) thermostats have come a long way since they were first introduced. My $10 coffee maker has one that manages to do a pretty damn good job of brewing and heating coffee.
> >They always said to use a low wattage iron on circuit boards. Well I used a Weller 8200 gun, 100/140 watts. As I soldered I turned it on and off with the trigger, maintaining the temperature I wanted.
I used those in the old days when I wired to tube sockets and terminal strips. They are worse than useless today IMO.
> >Now my iron is about 60 watts I think but it is thermostatically controlled. Your iron can be five million watts if the temperature is properly regulated. Of course if you're a real idiot you could burn through a board faster with a temperature controlled higher power iron, but I doubt that's in the warranty.
60W is what I use for stained glass soldering. 40 Watts is over-kill for electronics except for some HD stuff.
> >[just noticed my iron was still on, hmmm] > >So I thik I paid like $60 for mine which is pretty good I think. Friend of mine paid a hundred and change for a Hakko which is a VERY good brand. I got an elcheapo but it is a good elcheapo. When it hits the dust I guess I'll have to go with the Hakko because I want it to work right. I need to effectively solder these boards without damage and I need what I need. > >Tell you what, rather than that piece of shit, just get the absolute cheapest thing Hakko has and it will be orders of magnitude better. You'll love it. I've used them.
Hexacon irons are a little out of my price range these days, but I built a little iron holder with a modified lamp dimmer to control the power and it works very well. Low setting barely melts solder so I can leave it on for hours and have it ready quickly if I need to solder. On a high setting it can burn the tip in an hour.