Forums

Removing solder

Started by AK May 18, 2019
I use my desolder gun to remove solder from circuit boards but I can't always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire.

Is there some other technique?

Andy
On Sat, 18 May 2019 16:08:51 -0700 (PDT), AK
<scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote:

>I use my desolder gun to remove solder from circuit boards but I can't always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire. > >Is there some other technique? > >Andy
Solder wick. It's best not to solder stranded wire to a board. The wire tends to break if flexed. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 7:56:33 PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2019 16:08:51 -0700 (PDT), AK > <scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote: > > >I use my desolder gun to remove solder from circuit boards but I can't always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire. > > > >Is there some other technique? > > > >Andy > > Solder wick. > > It's best not to solder stranded wire to a board. The wire tends to > break if flexed. > > > -- > > John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc > > lunatic fringe electronics
Good to know. Andy
A pump.
But add solder for removing the existing solder.

AK a &eacute;crit le 19/05/2019 &agrave; 01:08&nbsp;:
> I use my desolder gun to remove solder from circuit boards but I can't always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire. > > Is there some other technique? > > Andy
On 2019-05-18, AK <scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use my desolder gun to remove solder from circuit boards but I can't always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire. > > Is there some other technique?
for multi-pin parts these are good, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32574393988.html build quality is so-so, but otherwise the do the job. but for stranded wire, just melt the joint and pull. -- When I tried casting out nines I made a hash of it.
On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 3:38:08 AM UTC-5, Look165 wrote:
> A pump. > But add solder for removing the existing solder. > > AK a &eacute;crit le 19/05/2019 &agrave; 01:08&nbsp;: > > I use my desolder gun to remove solder from circuit boards but I can't always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire. > > > > Is there some other technique? > > > > Andy
Does adding solder make the existing solder bigger so it can be sucked up easier by the solder pump? Andy
On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 4:30:59 AM UTC-5, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2019-05-18, AK <scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote: > > I use my desolder gun to remove solder from circuit boards but I can't always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire. > > > > Is there some other technique? > > for multi-pin parts these are good, > https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32574393988.html > build quality is so-so, but otherwise the do the job. > > but for stranded wire, just melt the joint and pull. > > -- > When I tried casting out nines I made a hash of it.
thanks. Aliexpress is really cheap. Andy
On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 3:38:08 AM UTC-5, Look165 wrote:
> A pump. > But add solder for removing the existing solder. > > AK a &eacute;crit le 19/05/2019 &agrave; 01:08&nbsp;: > > I use my desolder gun to remove solder from circuit boards but I can't always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire. > > > > Is there some other technique? > > > > Andy
Thanks. I discovered a way of removing some components. The weight of the clip pulls the resistor down while the solder is being melted. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7u79w2wsstip5wy/Clip.png?dl=0
On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 7:08:54 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
> I use my desolder gun to remove solder from circuit boards but I can't always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire. > > Is there some other technique? > > Andy
Use solder wick. It will even draw solder out of holes, to remove ICs: https://www.digikey.com/en/blog/how-and-when-to-use-solder-wick
In article <03de15a4-5163-4cb1-a097-4255663eecf3@googlegroups.com>, 
scientist77017@gmail.com says...

[snip]

> Does adding solder make the existing solder bigger so it can be sucked up easier by the solder pump?
> Andy
It increases the surface area of the tip that is in contact with the joint, allowing more heat to flow into the solder. Also, if you press gently sideways on the component lead as the solder is melting, you can often feel it move when the solder has completely melted through. That's when you apply suction and remove the iron.