Solder paste

Started by Andy K January 6, 2018
I having been using Oatey solder paste when soldering large diameter wires.
I know it's designed for copper pipes.

Is there something better?

Thanks,
          Andy
On 01/06/2018 12:37 AM, Andy K wrote:
> I having been using Oatey solder paste when soldering large diameter wires. > I know it's designed for copper pipes. > > > Is there something better? > > Thanks, > Andy >
I use MG Chemicals #835, which is an RA (rosin, activated) flux. Works great--somewhat more aggressive than ordinary RMA (rosin, mildly activated), but noncorrosive (unlike plumbing flux). You can also get flux pens, which are pretty convenient. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net https://hobbs-eo.com
On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 1:22:45 PM UTC-6, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 01/06/2018 12:37 AM, Andy K wrote: > > I having been using Oatey solder paste when soldering large diameter wires. > > I know it's designed for copper pipes. > > > > > > Is there something better? > > > > Thanks, > > Andy > > > > I use MG Chemicals #835, which is an RA (rosin, activated) flux. Works > great--somewhat more aggressive than ordinary RMA (rosin, mildly > activated), but noncorrosive (unlike plumbing flux). > > You can also get flux pens, which are pretty convenient. > > Cheers > > Phil Hobbs > > -- > Dr Philip C D Hobbs > Principal Consultant > ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics > Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics > Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 > > http://electrooptical.net > https://hobbs-eo.com
Thanks. Andy
On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 12:37:47 AM UTC-5, Andy K wrote:
> I having been using Oatey solder paste when soldering large diameter wires. > I know it's designed for copper pipes. > > > Is there something better? > > Thanks, > Andy
Ughh, OK I did that when I was starting out, and promptly was 'talked to' by an older tech. The problem with the acid pipe solder is you have to get it all off, with water or something, (just like when you do copper pipe plumbing.) otherwise it corrodes over time and your pcb/circuit turns into this ugly green thing. As Phil said get some rosin core solder/flux. You can also buy rosin flux in a little jar. (snuff box size.) I use that for tinning bigger wires. George H.
On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 2:05:38 PM UTC-6, George Herold wrote:
> On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 12:37:47 AM UTC-5, Andy K wrote: > > I having been using Oatey solder paste when soldering large diameter wires. > > I know it's designed for copper pipes. > > > > > > Is there something better? > > > > Thanks, > > Andy > > Ughh, OK I did that when I was starting out, and promptly > was 'talked to' by an older tech. The problem with the acid > pipe solder is you have to get it all off, with water or something, > (just like when you do copper pipe plumbing.) otherwise it corrodes > over time and your pcb/circuit turns into this ugly green thing. > > As Phil said get some rosin core solder/flux. You can also buy > rosin flux in a little jar. (snuff box size.) I use that for > tinning bigger wires. > > George H.
Ok, that makes sense. I only used it on large gauge wires and never on circuit boards. Andy
Andy K wrote:
> > I having been using Oatey solder paste when soldering large diameter wires. > I know it's designed for copper pipes. > > > Is there something better? >
** Bet you use a flame torch too. .... Phil
On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 2:51:23 AM UTC-6, Phil Allison wrote:
> Andy K wrote: > > > > I having been using Oatey solder paste when soldering large diameter wires. > > I know it's designed for copper pipes. > > > > > > Is there something better? > > > > > ** Bet you use a flame torch too. > > > > .... Phil
Soldering iron.

"Andy K" <andrewkennedy775@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 2:05:38 PM UTC-6, George Herold wrote: >> On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 12:37:47 AM UTC-5, Andy K wrote: >> > I having been using Oatey solder paste when soldering large diameter >> > wires. >> > I know it's designed for copper pipes. >> > >> > >> > Is there something better? >> > >> > Thanks, >> > Andy >> >> Ughh, OK I did that when I was starting out, and promptly >> was 'talked to' by an older tech. The problem with the acid >> pipe solder is you have to get it all off, with water or something, >> (just like when you do copper pipe plumbing.) otherwise it corrodes >> over time and your pcb/circuit turns into this ugly green thing. >> >> As Phil said get some rosin core solder/flux. You can also buy >> rosin flux in a little jar. (snuff box size.) I use that for >> tinning bigger wires. >> >> George H. > > Ok, that makes sense. > > I only used it on large gauge wires and never on circuit boards.
Fluxite brand paste is less aggressive than plumber's flux, but its grease based and cant be washed off with water. Its a popular product, and corrosion isn't a huge problem.
On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 12:21:58 PM UTC-6, Ian Field wrote:
> "Andy K" <andrewkennedy775@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:ec18876d-124e-41cd-8b33-bc56195ecfdc@googlegroups.com... > > On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 2:05:38 PM UTC-6, George Herold wrote: > >> On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 12:37:47 AM UTC-5, Andy K wrote: > >> > I having been using Oatey solder paste when soldering large diameter > >> > wires. > >> > I know it's designed for copper pipes. > >> > > >> > > >> > Is there something better? > >> > > >> > Thanks, > >> > Andy > >> > >> Ughh, OK I did that when I was starting out, and promptly > >> was 'talked to' by an older tech. The problem with the acid > >> pipe solder is you have to get it all off, with water or something, > >> (just like when you do copper pipe plumbing.) otherwise it corrodes > >> over time and your pcb/circuit turns into this ugly green thing. > >> > >> As Phil said get some rosin core solder/flux. You can also buy > >> rosin flux in a little jar. (snuff box size.) I use that for > >> tinning bigger wires. > >> > >> George H. > > > > Ok, that makes sense. > > > > I only used it on large gauge wires and never on circuit boards. > > Fluxite brand paste is less aggressive than plumber's flux, but its grease > based and cant be washed off with water. > > Its a popular product, and corrosion isn't a huge problem.
thanks.