Forums

Phone charger question

Started by Ivan Vegvary September 20, 2016
Samsung Note 4 plus Google Nexus Tablet

Have 3 wall chargers with USB port.  Have only two cables that are USB micro.

Always thought that one of my chargers is slow. NO!  Turns out it is the cable.  Battery monitor app (when it is on charge) suggests 2:15 (2h, 15m) to full charge with one cable and 5:21 (5h, 21m) with the other.  The slow cable is a bit thinner.  The above is true no matter which of the 3 chargers I use.

Now, I always thought a cable is a cable.  What gives?  Need to buy 2 more USB to USB micro cables.  How do I know I am buying fast cables?

Any suggestions and explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary
On 9/20/2016 12:38 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> Samsung Note 4 plus Google Nexus Tablet > > > Have 3 wall chargers with USB port. Have only two cables that are USB micro. > > Always thought that one of my chargers is slow. NO! Turns out it is the cable. Battery monitor app (when it is on charge) suggests 2:15 (2h, 15m) to full charge with one cable and 5:21 (5h, 21m) with the other. The slow cable is a bit thinner. The above is true no matter which of the 3 chargers I use. > > Now, I always thought a cable is a cable. What gives? Need to buy 2 more USB to USB micro cables. How do I know I am buying fast cables? > > Any suggestions and explanations would be greatly appreciated. > > Ivan Vegvary >
I think you have a bad cable.
Thanks.
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 21:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
<ivanvegvary@gmail.com> wrote as underneath :

>Samsung Note 4 plus Google Nexus Tablet > > >Have 3 wall chargers with USB port. Have only two cables that are USB micro. > >Always thought that one of my chargers is slow. NO! Turns out it is the cable. Battery monitor app (when it is on charge) suggests 2:15 (2h, 15m) to full charge with one cable and 5:21 (5h, 21m) with the other. The slow cable is a bit thinner. The above is true no matter which of the 3 chargers I use. > >Now, I always thought a cable is a cable. What gives? Need to buy 2 more USB to USB micro cables. How do I know I am buying fast cables? > >Any suggestions and explanations would be greatly appreciated. >
No, you probably have not got a duff cable - they are not all the same - some have the outer shielding earth connected right through eg. some Apple etc. maybe also Samsung, some have a sense resistor built in to one of the data lines so that it can be recognized properly. If for a phone, ebay for a spare which is specificly for that phone, its just a safer bet otherwise buy the expensive OM one! For example most ordinary micro cables won't work with a USB3 connection though the standard says they should (though at a low data rate). They are not all the same! C+
On 20/09/16 06:38, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> Samsung Note 4 plus Google Nexus Tablet > > > Have 3 wall chargers with USB port. Have only two cables that are USB micro. > > Always thought that one of my chargers is slow. NO! Turns out it is the cable. Battery monitor app (when it is on charge) suggests 2:15 (2h, 15m) to full charge with one cable and 5:21 (5h, 21m) with the other. The slow cable is a bit thinner. The above is true no matter which of the 3 chargers I use. > > Now, I always thought a cable is a cable. What gives? Need to buy 2 more USB to USB micro cables. How do I know I am buying fast cables? > > Any suggestions and explanations would be greatly appreciated. > > Ivan Vegvary >
Some USB cables have only 2 wires for +5 and 0. It *could* be that fast charge only happens if charger and tablet are able to talk together and agree on charge rate (using 4 wires) Pere
"o pere o" <me@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> On 20/09/16 06:38, Ivan Vegvary wrote: >> Samsung Note 4 plus Google Nexus Tablet >> >> >> Have 3 wall chargers with USB port. Have only two cables that are USB >> micro. >> >> Always thought that one of my chargers is slow. NO! Turns out it is the >> cable. Battery monitor app (when it is on charge) suggests 2:15 (2h, >> 15m) to full charge with one cable and 5:21 (5h, 21m) with the other. >> The slow cable is a bit thinner. The above is true no matter which of >> the 3 chargers I use. >> >> Now, I always thought a cable is a cable. What gives? Need to buy 2 >> more USB to USB micro cables. How do I know I am buying fast cables? >> >> Any suggestions and explanations would be greatly appreciated. >> >> Ivan Vegvary >> > > Some USB cables have only 2 wires for +5 and 0. It *could* be that fast > charge only happens if charger and tablet are able to talk together and > agree on charge rate (using 4 wires)
Sometimes there's a resistor network on the D+ & D- lines that "negotiate" a charging rate. Many wall wart chargers from discount stores are completely dumb, so I assume the resistor networks "talk" to the device being charged. There might be some info here:- http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 21:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
<ivanvegvary@gmail.com> wrote:

>Samsung Note 4 plus Google Nexus Tablet > > >Have 3 wall chargers with USB port. Have only two cables that are USB micro. > >Always thought that one of my chargers is slow. NO! Turns out it is the cable. Battery monitor app (when it is on charge) suggests 2:15 (2h, 15m) to full charge with one cable and 5:21 (5h, 21m) with the other. The slow cable is a bit thinner. The above is true no matter which of the 3 chargers I use. > >Now, I always thought a cable is a cable. What gives? Need to buy 2 more USB to USB micro cables. How do I know I am buying fast cables? > >Any suggestions and explanations would be greatly appreciated. > >Ivan Vegvary
Same thing with my tablet. The common and sundry cables you get are AWG 26 wire (American Wire Gage - smaller numbers bigger diameter - fewer dies the wire had to pass through to get smaller -bigger the diameter the more current it can carry - the more current it can carry the faster your device charges) So get a "charging cable" they have bigger diameter wire for the plus and minus power wires - the data wires are still 26 AWG. Get something with a 24, 22, or lower AWG rating - the longer the cable the more important that becomes. Buy cables with the charging wire size specified. Go for the smallest AWG number. 24-22 is better than 26 AND get one of those gizmos on ebay/amazon that tells you the voltage and current. Cost is ~$5 and well worth it. Two meters one for voltage and one for current or one meter that switches back and forth. If my tablet is charging at 1.6 amps, I know it will be done fast. If it is charging at 0.2 amps (200 milliamps) I know I'm aging faster than it's charging, and I have the wrong cable. AND they have these "dummy loads" on ebay for $1. Plug it into a USB port and it checks the charger (if you have the aforementioned gizmo) one setting is 1 amp at five volts, and the switch will make that 2 amps at five volts, Then you are in control of the situation.
Thank you Default.