Forums

How do you solder this?

Started by David Eather May 18, 2014
I found this chip:

http://www.ti.com/product/TPS60212

that will do all I need - step up 2v to 3.3v, very low quiescent current
and a small package. Unfortunately it is far too small a package - a VSSOP
with a pin spacing of 0.5mm.

Does anyone have some tips on how to hand solder this flyspec of an IC? I
do SOIC, SOT23 and 0805 easily but this thing beats me.

I did find a similar IC from Microchip - not a nice, more hungry for power
etc - but the kicker is it is also in a VSSOP package.

TIA
"David Eather" <eather@tpg.com.au> writes:
> Does anyone have some tips on how to hand solder this flyspec of an > IC? I do SOIC, SOT23 and 0805 easily but this thing beats me.
Some tips... When you design your footprint, extend the pads 1-2mm further out, so you can access them with your iron, especially to drag excess solder away from the chip. To solder, pre-solder two diagonally opposite pads, place the chip, reheat one pad with your iron. Verify the position. Reheat the other pad. Verify position again. Now use a bigger tip to blob-solder the rest of the pins, and desolder braid to remove the excess. If you have an alternate way of holding the chip in the right spot, you can skip the first few steps and just blob-solder the pins. Also, a flux pen is your friend :-) Flux pen plus desolder braid fixes any solder bridges you make.
Alot of people just lood it and wick of the excess.

What DJ said. I thought it was going to be something hard! -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com
On Sunday, May 18, 2014 9:14:15 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Sun, 18 May 2014 16:29:57 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote: > > > > > "David Eather" <eather@tpg.com.au> writes: > > >> Does anyone have some tips on how to hand solder this flyspec of an IC? > > >> I do SOIC, SOT23 and 0805 easily but this thing beats me. > > > > > > Some tips... > > > > > > When you design your footprint, extend the pads 1-2mm further out, so > > > you can access them with your iron, especially to drag excess solder > > > away from the chip. > > > > > > To solder, pre-solder two diagonally opposite pads, place the chip, > > > reheat one pad with your iron. Verify the position. Reheat the other > > > pad. Verify position again. Now use a bigger tip to blob-solder the > > > rest of the pins, and desolder braid to remove the excess. > > > > > > If you have an alternate way of holding the chip in the right spot, you > > > can skip the first few steps and just blob-solder the pins. > > > > > > Also, a flux pen is your friend :-) > > > > > > Flux pen plus desolder braid fixes any solder bridges you make. > > > What DJ said. > > I thought it was going to be something hard!
OK, well that only works if he has a pcb. If he has no pcb then get a little "surfboard" (try googling pcb and surfboard.) George H.

These are good: http://www.beldynsys.com/ -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation
Those do look nice, http://www.beldynsys.com/1643.pdf Hmm, a bit spendy. You can get a few pcb's for that, but still you sometimes want to try something today! (and not wait for a pcb.) George H.
> > -- > > > > John Larkin Highland Technology Inc > > www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com > > > > Precision electronic instrumentation
On Mon, 19 May 2014 12:23:17 -0700 (PDT), George Herold

You get a zillion on a breakaway panel, so the per-adapter price is excellent. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
David Eather wrote:

> > I found this chip: > > http://www.ti.com/product/TPS60212 > > that will do all I need - step up 2v to 3.3v, very low quiescent current > and a small package. Unfortunately it is far too small a package - a VSSOP > with a pin spacing of 0.5mm. > > Does anyone have some tips on how to hand solder this flyspec of an IC? I > do SOIC, SOT23 and 0805 easily but this thing beats me. > > I did find a similar IC from Microchip - not a nice, more hungry for power > etc - but the kicker is it is also in a VSSOP package. > > TIA
Hi If you have a solder paste syringe, run a light rope down each row. Bake it in a toaster oven until you see proper looking flow/joints. (or use hot air tools if you have them) You don't have to be very precise. Clean up any solder bridges with desoldering wick.
On Mon, 19 May 2014 05:45:53 +1000, David Eather <eather@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> > I found this chip: > > http://www.ti.com/product/TPS60212 > > that will do all I need - step up 2v to 3.3v, very low quiescent current > and a small package. Unfortunately it is far too small a package - a > VSSOP with a pin spacing of 0.5mm. > > Does anyone have some tips on how to hand solder this flyspec of an IC? > I do SOIC, SOT23 and 0805 easily but this thing beats me. > > I did find a similar IC from Microchip - not a nice, more hungry for > power etc - but the kicker is it is also in a VSSOP package. > > TIA
Many thanks all. I still think VSSOP is a bitch (right up there with lead-free solder). I did manage 1 from 2 onto an adapter board, but I don't know yet if the IC survived the process. Using de-solder braid failed dismally at removing solder bridges. The gap between pins is something less than 12 mills, braid won't even touch it.