Forums

Telephone Spammers

Started by Jim Thompson March 26, 2014
I just experienced a telephone spammer who sent my own telephone
number as the CID!

Anyone else experienced that?

Since I use Ooma, I wonder if I can't simply blacklist my own number?
I'll ask support.

                                        ...Jim Thompson

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:12:07 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>I just experienced a telephone spammer who sent my own telephone >number as the CID! > >Anyone else experienced that? > >Since I use Ooma, I wonder if I can't simply blacklist my own number? >I'll ask support. > > ...Jim Thompson
This sounds interesting.. <http://www.phonetray.com/> Cheers
On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 19:39:49 -0400, Martin Riddle
<martin_rid@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:12:07 -0700, Jim Thompson ><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: > >>I just experienced a telephone spammer who sent my own telephone >>number as the CID! >> >>Anyone else experienced that? >> >>Since I use Ooma, I wonder if I can't simply blacklist my own number? >>I'll ask support. >> >> ...Jim Thompson > >This sounds interesting.. ><http://www.phonetray.com/> > >Cheers
Good link! Thanks, Martin! Similar to my self-made machine that shorts out the line. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
In article <51d6j915kr4lfkj68o6dqjlbq2uce2u0dg@4ax.com>, To-Email-Use-
The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com says...
> > I just experienced a telephone spammer who sent my own telephone > number as the CID! > > Anyone else experienced that?
Sure, it's when I get notices from my phone provide for deals or alert messages if you don't have the alert app running. It'll come up as a call from yourself, and usually their maybe a mail box or text message waiting for you. Jamie
 wrote:

> I just experienced a telephone spammer who sent my own telephone > number as the CID! > > Anyone else experienced that? > > Since I use Ooma, I wonder if I can't simply blacklist my own number? > I'll ask support. > > ...Jim Thompson
Fake caller IDs in modern phone scammers will spoof a local number, often that of an existing business. There's no two-way handshake in telephone calls and the telcos want to keep it that way. As a result, there's zero trustable information at any midpoint or endpoint that can be used to identify a caller. http://robocall.challengepost.com/ was nothing more than a self-promoting gimmick from the FTC and FCC at a time when people were looking cut government spending on dysfunctional programs. None of the "winners" have legitimate technology. They're as bad as filtering by the "From" header in an e-mail.

This device seems worth a look as it can learn annoying calls numbers. http://www.truecall.co.uk/call-blocker.aspx
On 3/26/2014 5:39 PM, Martin Riddle wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:12:07 -0700, Jim Thompson > <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: > >> I just experienced a telephone spammer who sent my own telephone >> number as the CID! >> >> Anyone else experienced that? >> >> Since I use Ooma, I wonder if I can't simply blacklist my own number? >> I'll ask support. >> >> ...Jim Thompson > > This sounds interesting.. > <http://www.phonetray.com/>
WOW, do computers still have modems ??

"hamilton" <hamilton@nothere.com> wrote in message
> On 3/26/2014 5:39 PM, Martin Riddle wrote: >> On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:12:07 -0700, Jim Thompson >> <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >> >>> I just experienced a telephone spammer who sent my own telephone >>> number as the CID! >>> >>> Anyone else experienced that? >>> >>> Since I use Ooma, I wonder if I can't simply blacklist my own number? >>> I'll ask support. >>> >>> ...Jim Thompson >> >> This sounds interesting.. >> <http://www.phonetray.com/> > > WOW, do computers still have modems ??
There's still a few floating about - I even have some in the junk box, there's not much worthy salvage in them other than the power jack. When you get broadband, you most definitely want to get rid of the modem - some infected websites can plant rogue dialer malware that calls premium rate numbers without telling you.
Ian Field wrote:

> > > "hamilton" <hamilton@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> WOW, do computers still have modems ?? > > There's still a few floating about - I even have some in the junk box, > there's not much worthy salvage in them other than the power jack. > > When you get broadband, you most definitely want to get rid of the modem - > some infected websites can plant rogue dialer malware that calls premium > rate numbers without telling you.
I still keep mine for the rare occasion somebody insists I send them an actual FAX. Much easier to send them a PDF, but some outfits are still in the dark ages. Jon