Forums

Where to buy crystals?

Started by DaveC February 11, 2013
I need a 2-pin crystal, 8.86723 (PAL video standard).

Where do you get these now? Seems nobody carries them, not even ham radio
shops. I'd visit a ham swap meet but I can't wait.

I can get them from Ireland...

<http://www.donberg.co.uk/catalogue/passive_components/quartz_crystals/8.86723
8mhz.html>

Any sources in the States?

Thanks.

(I'm in N. California.)

In article
<0001HW.CD3EACF901E2535BB01029BF@news.eternal-september.org>,
 DaveC <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:

> I need a 2-pin crystal, 8.86723 (PAL video standard). > > Where do you get these now? Seems nobody carries them, not even ham radio > shops. I'd visit a ham swap meet but I can't wait. > > I can get them from Ireland... > > <http://www.donberg.co.uk/catalogue/passive_components/quartz_crystals/8.86723 > 8mhz.html> > > Any sources in the States? > > Thanks. > > (I'm in N. California.)
When I Googled "custom frequency crystals," Google indicated over six million hits. The frequency you gave is highly specialized. Do you really need such accuracy? Many years ago as a ham, I used Bon-Ami to grind away at crystals to rais their frequency. Be adventurous. -- Sam Conservatives are against Darwinism but for natural selection. Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.
> When I Googled "custom frequency crystals," Google indicated over six > million hits. The frequency you gave is highly specialized. Do you > really need such accuracy? Many years ago as a ham, I used Bon-Ami to > grind away at crystals to rais their frequency. Be adventurous.
Yes I considered custom crystals, but I'm holding out of one domestic source that someone in the "groups" knows of... If we're talking history, when designed were published in electronics magazines inevitably the crystal that drove them were 9.54545 (NTSC standard) here in USA and Japan, et. al., or 8.86723 (PAL standard) in Europe, et. al. These 2 crystals were ubiquitous. Now I cant steal one. Thanks.
On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:22:25 -0800, DaveC <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:

>> When I Googled "custom frequency crystals," Google indicated over six >> million hits. The frequency you gave is highly specialized. Do you >> really need such accuracy? Many years ago as a ham, I used Bon-Ami to >> grind away at crystals to rais their frequency. Be adventurous. > >Yes I considered custom crystals, but I'm holding out of one domestic source >that someone in the "groups" knows of... > >If we're talking history, when designed were published in electronics >magazines inevitably the crystal that drove them were 9.54545 (NTSC standard) >here in USA and Japan, et. al., or 8.86723 (PAL standard) in Europe, et. al. >These 2 crystals were ubiquitous. > >Now I cant steal one.
9.5454MHz is available ($.81 for one at DigiKey). You might try here, too: http://radiohobbystore.com/crystals-and-filters/8867.html (brought to you by your local search engine)
Followups set to sci.electronics.components .

In sci.electronics.components DaveC <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:
> I need a 2-pin crystal, 8.86723 (PAL video standard). > > Where do you get these now?
If you can hack in another divide-by-2 stage, Mouser and Digi-Key both carry 17.734475 MHz crystals, which would give you 8.8672375 MHz. If this crystal's only job is to provide a digital logic clock, Mouser and Digi-Key also sell programmable crystal oscillators for around $7 to $10. You tell them what frequency you want and they program it for you before shipping. They come in little cans about the size of an 8-pin or 16-pin DIP IC; you supply power (usually 3.3 V or 5 V) and ground and square waves come out. Matt Roberds
> 9.5454MHz is available ($.81 for one at DigiKey).
I need 8.86723
> You might try here, too: > http://radiohobbystore.com/crystals-and-filters/8867.html
I saw that one too: Israel. I'm searching for a local (USA) source. Thanks.

Israel (or perhaps Palestine). Alib*ba has them for 30 pcs for $13. shipped. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com

"DaveC" <invalid@invalid.net> wrote in message
>> 9.5454MHz is available ($.81 for one at DigiKey). > > I need 8.86723 > >> You might try here, too: >> http://radiohobbystore.com/crystals-and-filters/8867.html > > I saw that one too: Israel. I'm searching for a local (USA) source. > > Thanks. > >

"DaveC" <invalid@invalid.net> wrote in message
>> 9.5454MHz is available ($.81 for one at DigiKey). > > I need 8.86723 > >> You might try here, too: >> http://radiohobbystore.com/crystals-and-filters/8867.html > > I saw that one too: Israel. I'm searching for a local (USA) source. > > Thanks.
Is that twice the 4.433MHz (I'm too lazy to reach for the calculator)? In the late 80s some plastic case computers had fancy custom video chips - a 17.*** MHz crystal was often used to */4 and obtain quadrature pulse trains at 4.433MHz. Here in the UK, the 8.*** MHz crystals sometimes turn up in scrap TVs I rescue from the bin rooms at the flats - but the component harvest isn't what it used to be, so I don't always bother. Have you contacted Farnell? - in the UK they run CPC, which supplies service components for TV and other consumer goods.

>> When I Googled "custom frequency crystals," Google indicated over six >> million hits. The frequency you gave is highly specialized. Do you >> really need such accuracy? Many years ago as a ham, I used Bon-Ami to >> grind away at crystals to rais their frequency. Be adventurous. > > Yes I considered custom crystals, but I'm holding out of one domestic > source > that someone in the "groups" knows of... > > If we're talking history, when designed were published in electronics > magazines inevitably the crystal that drove them were 9.54545 (NTSC > standard) > here in USA and Japan, et. al., or 8.86723 (PAL standard) in Europe, et. > al. > These 2 crystals were ubiquitous. > > Now I cant steal one. > > Thanks. > >
Much more commonly - in the UK at least - the 'standard' PAL crystal was half that at 4.43361875 MHz. I used to have those coming out of my ears, but I don't think I have any now ... Arfa