Forums

Aldi 59 petrol generator and television

Started by D. T. Green July 11, 2012
On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have
heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running
very roughly, and is really noisy.

Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting to
televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment.

Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only
�59 ).

Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment; would
that just be the manufacturers covering themselves?  Would buying something
like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator with a
portable television?

On 11/07/2012 7:37 PM, D. T. Green wrote:
> On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have > heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running > very roughly, and is really noisy. > > Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting to > televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment. > > Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only > �59 ). > > Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment; would > that just be the manufacturers covering themselves? Would buying something > like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator with a > portable television? > >
The generator probably has poor stability in both voltage and frequency. Equipment that's senstitive to those may indeed break. Sylvia.
"D. T. Green" <greendt@mail.invalid> wrote in message
> On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have > heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running > very roughly, and is really noisy. > > Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting > to televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment. > > Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only > &#2013266083;59 ). > > Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment; > would that just be the manufacturers covering themselves? Would buying > something like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator > with a portable television? >
Blimey, if even the manufacturer is telling you its crap, it must be REALLY crap. No way I'd connect one to anything of mine. Gareth.
On 11/07/2012 10:37, D. T. Green wrote:
> On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have > heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running > very roughly, and is really noisy. > > Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting to > televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment.
Likely it is not just acoustically noisy but electronically noisy too and the ignition system radio emissions will cause snow on a portable TV. It might be so rough and ready electrically either voltage or frequency wise that it could fail or wreck some old sets completely. I'd expect most modern switched mode PSUs to cope with almost anything but then you are taking a risk since the maker says it is unsuitable.
> > Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only > &#2013266083;59 ). > > Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment; would > that just be the manufacturers covering themselves? Would buying something > like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator with a > portable television?
I suspect your problem will be mainly electrical interference. Charging up a battery to use with your TV would get around this and be quieter. -- Regards, Martin Brown
D. T. Green <greendt@mail.invalid> wrote in message
> On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have > heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running > very roughly, and is really noisy. > > Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting
> televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment. > > Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only > &#2013266083;59 ). > > Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment;
would
> that just be the manufacturers covering themselves? Would buying
something
> like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator with a > portable television? > >
If I was using one I'd wire in permanently a baseload 100W mains bulb (assuming you are allowed to start up with a pre-existing load) . If the lamp flickers /wavers then no use with a TV but if a constant light output I'd try only a sacrificial old TV with an old set-top box , if the picture rolls from lack of frequency control then at least I tried.
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:37:31 +0100, "D. T. Green"
<greendt@mail.invalid> wrote:

>On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have >heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running >very roughly, and is really noisy. > >Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting to >televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment. > >Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only >&#2013266083;59 ). > >Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment; would >that just be the manufacturers covering themselves? Would buying something >like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator with a >portable television?
After looking at the subject I thought, we've had gas powered fridges, now a petrol powered telly... --
"D. T. Green" <greendt@mail.invalid> wrote in message
> On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have > heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running > very roughly, and is really noisy. > > Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting > to televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment. > > Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only > &#2013266083;59 ). > > Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment; > would that just be the manufacturers covering themselves? Would buying > something like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator > with a portable television?
Some of the extra money paind for more expensive generators goes towards the extra electronics which ensure a stable a/c output similar to mains current. This is generaly described as an inverter system Believe the instructions. It is not suitable. There are warnings against these very cheap generators on caravan and mobile home discussion fora, as they can damage the internal electrics of the more sophisticated systems. Cheers Dave R -- No plan survives contact with the enemy. [Not even bunny] Helmuth von Moltke the Elder (\__/) (='.'=) (")_(")
In article <jtjhh2$doc$1@dont-email.me>,
Sounds like you want it to use on a camp site, etc. You will not be popular. -- *What happens when none of your bees wax? * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound.
On Jul 11, 1:12=A0pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"  wrote:
> Sounds like you want it to use on a camp site, etc. You will not be > popular.
Surely that depends on the choice of programme? It might be extremely popular if it's showing the women's beach volleyball ;-) Owain
<greendt@mail.invalid> wrote:

>On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have >heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running >very roughly, and is really noisy.
All 2 stroke engines are noisy. 4 stroke engines are much quieter. Running "rough" could mean no regulation. This generator is a piece of junk.
>Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting to >televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment.
That's because the voltage and frequency output is probably not regulated. Light bulbs, heaters, and resistive loads might survive. Anything electronic or that uses a motor, probably won't.
>Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only >&#2013266083;59 ).
No experience. I don't need to stick my hand in the fire to know that it's hot.
>Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment; would >that just be the manufacturers covering themselves?
Yep. Unsuitable for any purpose other than making lots of noise.
>Would buying something >like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator with a >portable television?
No. If the generator goes into over voltage, even for a few fractions of second, the MOV (metal oxide varistors) in the "surge protector" will explode, catch fire, and eventually blow a fuse. Surge protectors also don't do anything for changes in frequency. Look into various "inverter generator" offerings. They're quiet, efficient, low RFI, and have a fairly clean and regulated output. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558