Forums

AC current relay

Started by Unknown December 27, 2011
I want to switch on some receptacles when another one is drawing
current.

I want my remote controlled TV to turn on the equipment ancillary to
the television - converter box, antenna rotor, speaker amp.  Ideally
something that can sense down to 1 amp or so then energize the other
outlets, and uses minimal current itself.

These things used to be fairly common to switch off the other
components when the record changer played the last record and shut
itself off.
Some threads I remember pointed to COTS stuff e.g. Sears current-sensing boxes. The posts by DaveM were the most useful, but I can't spot those now. http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/search?group=sci.electronics.design&q=%22table+saw%22+vacuum+OR+%22shop+vac%22+-fingers+-Engrave+-solar+-jackhammer&qt_g=Search+this+group

--- http://www.crmagnetics.com/Products/Assets/ProductPDFs/CR9300%20Series.pdf Use the -ACA to directly drive a relay coil and the relay to switch the mains to a plug strip -- JF
default wrote in news:6o1kf7lpo9oi5i8kmsulohug1f3v2d65u4@4ax.com:

> I want to switch on some receptacles when another one is drawing > current. > > I want my remote controlled TV to turn on the equipment ancillary to > the television - converter box, antenna rotor, speaker amp. Ideally > something that can sense down to 1 amp or so then energize the other > outlets, and uses minimal current itself. > > These things used to be fairly common to switch off the other > components when the record changer played the last record and shut > itself off.
Put a full rectifier bridge in series with the mains power of the tv, short the dc side with a wire, wind some of that wire around a reed relay, let the reed relay switch a heavier relay, and you are where you want to be.
--------------enig1E8CCB043751CA03DC6BEED8

On Dec 27, 10:04=A0am, default wrote:
> I want to switch on some receptacles when another one is drawing > current. > > I want my remote controlled TV to turn on the equipment ancillary to > the television - converter box, antenna rotor, speaker amp. =A0Ideally > something that can sense down to 1 amp or so then energize the other > outlets, and uses minimal current itself. > > These things used to be fairly common to switch off the other > components when the record changer played the last record and shut > itself off.
Another possibility. Our new TV has USB inputs. I'm using one to get the +5 and trigger a solid state relay to turn on the audio amp.
On 12/27/2011 12:04 PM, default wrote:
> I want to switch on some receptacles when another one is drawing > current. > > I want my remote controlled TV to turn on the equipment ancillary to > the television - converter box, antenna rotor, speaker amp. Ideally > something that can sense down to 1 amp or so then energize the other > outlets, and uses minimal current itself. > > These things used to be fairly common to switch off the other > components when the record changer played the last record and shut > itself off.
I was wondering if this will work. Most of my electronics devices don't turn on just by having power applied. You have to turn each item on separately, after the power is applied. Bill
On 27 Dec 2011 21:13:59 GMT, Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:

>default wrote in news:6o1kf7lpo9oi5i8kmsulohug1f3v2d65u4@4ax.com: > >> I want to switch on some receptacles when another one is drawing >> current. >> >> I want my remote controlled TV to turn on the equipment ancillary to >> the television - converter box, antenna rotor, speaker amp. Ideally >> something that can sense down to 1 amp or so then energize the other >> outlets, and uses minimal current itself. >> >> These things used to be fairly common to switch off the other >> components when the record changer played the last record and shut >> itself off. >Put a full rectifier bridge in series with the >mains power of the tv, short the dc side with >a wire, wind some of that wire around a reed relay, >let the reed relay switch a heavier relay, and you >are where you want to be.

>default wrote in news:6o1kf7lpo9oi5i8kmsulohug1f3v2d65u4@4ax.com: > >> I want to switch on some receptacles when another one is drawing >> current. >> >> I want my remote controlled TV to turn on the equipment ancillary to >> the television - converter box, antenna rotor, speaker amp. Ideally >> something that can sense down to 1 amp or so then energize the other >> outlets, and uses minimal current itself. >> >> These things used to be fairly common to switch off the other >> components when the record changer played the last record and shut >> itself off. >Put a full rectifier bridge in series with the >mains power of the tv, short the dc side with >a wire, wind some of that wire around a reed relay, >let the reed relay switch a heavier relay, and you >are where you want to be.
I like the concept. Have you tried it? Seems to me a reed would buzz at 60 hertz, and filtering a high current low voltage (what you'd expect on the added coil to the reed relay) would take a very large capacity cap. Then something would have to protect the cap from an overvoltage with a transient like turn on or degauss (this is a CRT TV) Worth playing with though.