Cameras to laptop

Started by BeeJ December 5, 2011
I want to hook up several cameras to a laptop.
If I use USB webcams I can write code to view and do security stuff.
BTW the software is already written and running.

But the cable length is too limiting even with USB extension cables.

I have access to the USB cams and the built-in laptop cam just fine.

If I use video out cams CCTV what is the best way to get the video into
the laptop such that it looks like a USB webcam?

Or an ethernet cam that has a ethernet to USB converter.

Or suggestions.

Thanks!

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 15:55:52 -0800, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>I want to hook up several cameras to a laptop. >If I use USB webcams I can write code to view and do security stuff. >BTW the software is already written and running. > >But the cable length is too limiting even with USB extension cables. > >I have access to the USB cams and the built-in laptop cam just fine. > >If I use video out cams CCTV what is the best way to get the video into >the laptop such that it looks like a USB webcam? > >Or an ethernet cam that has a ethernet to USB converter. > >Or suggestions. > >Thanks! >
I have a USB cam 70 feet from a mini-ITX PC; one 10 foot passive cable and two 30 foot active extenders, one of them outdoors. Works fine. ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/CABIN.JPG You can put a powered USB hub or two into the system, too. John
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 15:55:52 -0800, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>I want to hook up several cameras to a laptop. >If I use USB webcams I can write code to view and do security stuff. >BTW the software is already written and running. > >But the cable length is too limiting even with USB extension cables. > >I have access to the USB cams and the built-in laptop cam just fine. > >If I use video out cams CCTV what is the best way to get the video into >the laptop such that it looks like a USB webcam? > >Or an ethernet cam that has a ethernet to USB converter. > >Or suggestions. > >Thanks! >
There are video to USB converters - google dazzle You can usually run the video cable long distances with no problems.
Yeah, I use a mixture of USB and vid-to-USB connections, I've been through a few of them during testing and found KWorld was the least hassle: http://tinyurl.com/broyzeh (USB 2860 device) works well in Windows XP and Ubuntu.
even the 10m ones? http://www.dynamix.co.nz/index.html?do=viewproduct&code=BF-3010Y&ID=6297652
video-to-usb adaptors. https://secure.vividcluster.crox.net.au/jaycar2005/productView.asp?ID=XC4991
> Or an ethernet cam that has a ethernet to USB converter.
laptop doesn't have ethernet already?
"Jasen Betts" <jasen@xnet.co.nz> wrote in message
> On 2011-12-05, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote: >> I want to hook up several cameras to a laptop. >> If I use USB webcams I can write code to view and do security stuff. >> BTW the software is already written and running. >> >> But the cable length is too limiting even with USB extension cables. > > even the 10m ones? > http://www.dynamix.co.nz/index.html?do=viewproduct&code=BF-3010Y&ID=6297652 > >> I have access to the USB cams and the built-in laptop cam just fine. >> >> If I use video out cams CCTV what is the best way to get the video into >> the laptop such that it looks like a USB webcam? > > video-to-usb adaptors. > https://secure.vividcluster.crox.net.au/jaycar2005/productView.asp?ID=XC4991 > >> Or an ethernet cam that has a ethernet to USB converter. > > laptop doesn't have ethernet already? > >> Or suggestions. > > usb-over-cat5 > http://www.dynamix.co.nz/index.html?do=viewproduct&code=USB-EXT03&ID=6297654 > Have not seen these retail. Have not looked. >
I'm not sure but aren't these USB1.1 only?
John Larkin wrote:
> I have a USB cam 70 feet from a mini-ITX PC; one 10 foot passive cable > and two 30 foot active extenders, one of them outdoors. Works fine. > > ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/CABIN.JPG > > You can put a powered USB hub or two into the system, too.
I tried this (only one time) - buying a repeater cable but it failed miserably for me, purchased from eBay - can you tell me what make your extenders are please? I'd like to try it again.

A dirt cheap four channel USB video capture card might do. <http://www.dealextreme.com/p/easycap-4-channel-4-input-usb-2-0-dvr-video- capture-surveillance-dongle-11127> I have one identical to that one, works like a charm and is Linux supported. Just don't expect fast frame rates as the four inputs are multiplexed, not a big limitation for video surveillance purposes though.
Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2011-12-06, Desireless <none@soundstate.co.uk> wrote: >>> >>> usb-over-cat5 >>> http://www.dynamix.co.nz/index.html?do=viewproduct&code=USB-EXT03&ID=6297654 >>> Have not seen these retail. Have not looked. >>> >> >> I'm not sure but aren't these USB1.1 only? > > Yeah, but 13Mb/s should be fast enough for std resolution video. > there may be a faster version out there somewhere.
Just on a side note, I was reading about USB 3.0 and it turns out the max (normal) length is no longer 5m, but 3. Bah!