Reply by Lamont Cranston November 20, 20222022-11-20
On Sunday, November 20, 2022 at 12:34:37 AM UTC-6, Ricky wrote:
> On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 10:00:56 PM UTC-5, Lamont Cranston wrote: > > On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 4:08:58 PM UTC-6, Ricky wrote: > > > > > > If you are interested, here's a link to the explanation and VNA graphs of a 1MΩ and a 10MΩ resistance, capacitance and Q. > > > > https://groups.io/g/Test-Equipment-Design-Construction/message/1236 > > > > > That is interesting. I'm surprised this has significant impact at 1 MHz. > > I thought the resistance was 10MΩ at DC. but it's not, now I'm unclear, I thought the R and C were completely separated in the graph. > > > > > > I'm not convinced there isn't something else going on too. Notice that even at 300 kHz the 10 Mohm resistor is 7.2 Mohms. I think that's a bit hard to explain. You can see from the graph that at 300 kHz, the effect is almost gone and the curve is nearly level. But maybe that's my bias. > > Are you looking at graph number three? > Three or four, both have the same resistance curves. > > I'll see if I can get anymore info, > You have a lot more experience in this than I do. I just came to the realization that Q depends on the frequency it is measured at. Since Q = XL / RL, and XL depends on frequency, the Q will vary over frequency even if nothing else changes. Higher frequencies will give a higher Q... at least until other parasitic values kick in, like the self capacitance. I expect you already knew that.
My experience is mostly with AM Broadcast frequency Inductors, both Air core and a very low loss ferrite R40C1, that can match or exceed the Qs of a good air cap. Most inductors optimized for the BCB have a peak Q around 800kHz and drop as frequency increases or decreases. There are some tricks to flatten this. Below are some graphs I made. Five years ago I wanted to see what the optimum wire spacing was for a 6" diameter coil, and wound 5 coils with different wire spacing. All were wound with 660/46 Litz wire. Graph. https://www.dropbox.com/s/eapq2fnpzpesn9v/5%20Coil%20Q%20Graph%20with%20labels.jpg?dl=0 An actual Coil as wound. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ru9im2fecdi0g3f/9%20TPI%20coil.jpg?dl=0 This is a graph of a coil made with the R40C1 ferrite material. Measured on 3 different Q meters. https://www.dropbox.com/s/au2sp79rgta1d80/Elusive%20Q.jpg?dl=0 As I say "Q is Elusive"
> > As to the change in value of the resistor, I though there might be something going on with the dielectric effect, but I expected the impact would be very slight. However, when I calculated the impedance of the 0.12 pF at 1 MHz, it comes to 1.3 Mohms, so clearly this can have significant impact if the dielectric is very lossy.
I can't make the numbers work out, It seems with the Q and the value of the Capacitance, it should all just shake out and find a 40MΩ resistor in parallel with the 10MΩ. i.e. 10MΩ // 40MΩ = 8MΩ. I thought it was a series parallel conversion situation, but that doesn't work either. btw, here is a nice series to parallel, and vise versa calculator, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue. https://daycounter.com/Calculators/Parallel-Series-Impedance-Conversion-Calculator.phtml Mikek
Reply by Ricky November 20, 20222022-11-20
On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 10:00:56 PM UTC-5, Lamont Cranston wrote:
> On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 4:08:58 PM UTC-6, Ricky wrote: > > > > If you are interested, here's a link to the explanation and VNA graphs of a 1MΩ and a 10MΩ resistance, capacitance and Q. > > > https://groups.io/g/Test-Equipment-Design-Construction/message/1236 > > > That is interesting. I'm surprised this has significant impact at 1 MHz. > I thought the resistance was 10MΩ at DC. but it's not, now I'm unclear, I thought the R and C were completely separated in the graph. > > > > I'm not convinced there isn't something else going on too. Notice that even at 300 kHz the 10 Mohm resistor is 7.2 Mohms. I think that's a bit hard to explain. You can see from the graph that at 300 kHz, the effect is almost gone and the curve is nearly level. But maybe that's my bias. > Are you looking at graph number three?
Three or four, both have the same resistance curves.
> I'll see if I can get anymore info,
You have a lot more experience in this than I do. I just came to the realization that Q depends on the frequency it is measured at. Since Q = XL / RL, and XL depends on frequency, the Q will vary over frequency even if nothing else changes. Higher frequencies will give a higher Q... at least until other parasitic values kick in, like the self capacitance. I expect you already knew that. As to the change in value of the resistor, I though there might be something going on with the dielectric effect, but I expected the impact would be very slight. However, when I calculated the impedance of the 0.12 pF at 1 MHz, it comes to 1.3 Mohms, so clearly this can have significant impact if the dielectric is very lossy. -- Rick C. ---+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging ---+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply by Lamont Cranston November 19, 20222022-11-19
On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 4:08:58 PM UTC-6, Ricky wrote:

> > If you are interested, here's a link to the explanation and VNA graphs of a 1MΩ and a 10MΩ resistance, capacitance and Q. > > https://groups.io/g/Test-Equipment-Design-Construction/message/1236
> That is interesting. I'm surprised this has significant impact at 1 MHz.
I thought the resistance was 10MΩ at DC. but it's not, now I'm unclear, I thought the R and C were completely separated in the graph.
> > I'm not convinced there isn't something else going on too. Notice that even at 300 kHz the 10 Mohm resistor is 7.2 Mohms. I think that's a bit hard to explain. You can see from the graph that at 300 kHz, the effect is almost gone and the curve is nearly level. But maybe that's my bias.
Are you looking at graph number three? I'll see if I can get anymore info, Mikek
Reply by Ricky November 19, 20222022-11-19
On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 4:27:05 PM UTC-5, Lamont Cranston wrote:
> The reason for the measurement error has been explained to my satisfaction. > First I had the skin effect backwards, that would increase resistance not decrease. > > A fine fellow on another group ran VNA tests of a 1/4W resistor, (no info whether thru hole or smd). > The graph shows a drop of the 10MΩ resistor drops to 6MΩ at 1Mhz. > The explanation is, the dielectric loss of the resistor body in parallel with the 10MΩ. > If you are interested, here's a link to the explanation and VNA graphs of a 1MΩ and a 10MΩ resistance, capacitance and Q. > https://groups.io/g/Test-Equipment-Design-Construction/message/1236
That is interesting. I'm surprised this has significant impact at 1 MHz. I'm not convinced there isn't something else going on too. Notice that even at 300 kHz the 10 Mohm resistor is 7.2 Mohms. I think that's a bit hard to explain. You can see from the graph that at 300 kHz, the effect is almost gone and the curve is nearly level. But maybe that's my bias. -- Rick C. ---- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging ---- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply by Lamont Cranston November 19, 20222022-11-19
The reason for the measurement error has been explained to my satisfaction.
First I had the skin effect backwards, that would increase resistance not decrease.

  A fine fellow on another group ran VNA tests of a 1/4W resistor, (no info whether thru hole or smd).
 The graph shows a drop of the 10MΩ resistor drops to 6MΩ at 1Mhz.
The explanation is, the dielectric loss of the resistor body in parallel with the 10MΩ.
 If you are interested, here's a link to the explanation and VNA graphs of a 1MΩ and a 10MΩ resistance, capacitance and Q.
https://groups.io/g/Test-Equipment-Design-Construction/message/1236

                                       Mikek
On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 10:52:42 PM UTC-6, Lamont Cranston wrote:
> On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 10:10:19 PM UTC-6, Ricky wrote: > > > I don't know what an ALC is. > Automatic Level Controller > Keeps the voltage into the transformer at a constant voltage. > > > The main purpose of a Q meter is to measure Q of inductors, however, it has found other uses. > > You are using it as an ohm meter??? > Only because it was mentioned on another group, I tried it and had a big error, > I want to know why. > > Mikek
I just found a reference to skin effect in resistors. https://resources.system-analysis.cadence.com/blog/msa2021-understanding-resistor-behavior-at-high-frequencies I wonder if that could explain all of the error I'm seeing? I need figure out a way to do the test at low frequency and still have reasonable Delta Q. Mikek
Reply by Lamont Cranston November 18, 20222022-11-18
On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 10:10:19 PM UTC-6, Ricky wrote:

> I don't know what an ALC is.
Automatic Level Controller Keeps the voltage into the transformer at a constant voltage.
> > The main purpose of a Q meter is to measure Q of inductors, however, it has found other uses. > You are using it as an ohm meter???
Only because it was mentioned on another group, I tried it and had a big error, I want to know why. Mikek
Reply by Ricky November 18, 20222022-11-18
On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 8:44:17 PM UTC-5, Lamont Cranston wrote:
> On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 6:42:12 PM UTC-6, Ricky wrote: > > On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 4:56:02 PM UTC-5, Lamont Cranston wrote: > > > > So if the resonance is series, as you say, the voltage goes toward zero and the current gets large. > > > What voltage? I don't believe the drive voltage changes, in fact they have a level control circuit to keep it constant in the HP4342A. > > > ( I think they put it in the wrong place, but they know more than me) > > I don't know what your drive circuit is doing, > As I said, it is a constant voltage a 0.02Ω source is hard to swing. > The voltage can be adjusted, on the 260A the meter is marked with a max 250Q, then another meter monitors the drive voltage. You can set the voltage at 1X and the drive voltage is 20mV, set at 2 and the drive voltage is 10mV and you multiply the meter reading by 2. I externally monitor the drive voltage and set drive voltage at 3.33mV as 6X multiplier and measure Qs up to 1500. > >so I'll talk in terms of the impedance. At resonance, the voltages of the L and C are equal and opposite (both >90° out of phase from the drive voltage, >one positive and the other negative phase). So the impedance will appear to approach zero. If your drive voltage >is truly like a constant voltage, the >current will ramp up hugely. > YES! That is what happens. > Do you know what the drive voltage it? > I explained that above, the max on the 260A is 20mV. I'm not sure on the 4342A.
This is all much more clear now. It was a bit of work to get out of the parallel resonance mindset. I think you explained this gear a couple of years (or a few) ago when you were looking to improve its sensitivity or something.
I don't know what an ALC is.
You are using it as an ohm meter??? -- Rick C. +++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging +++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply by Anthony Stewart November 17, 20222022-11-17
 If you want to compare with a lower capacitance resistor, this depends on the surface area so 1/8th watt ought to be 0.03 pF or so.  But I don't know the purpose of 10Mohm when that would exceed the Q=242 @ 1MHz of the Reference L. the tuning cap is almost 100 pF for the reference L = 249 uH // 7.9 pF

Practical Q's of 1500 are getting in the perfect helix types.   Practical limits are 100 for decent sensitivity and are easiest to self-clock in Colpitts or Pierce oscillators..

This Falstad tool may assist in eyeball measurements for Q up to 100 with 40 dB gain. Or customer filter design.
    There isn't enough resolution on the display to go sharper.  But I tuned yours with a Q of 10k or 80 dB gain without a resistor.It was closer to 99 pF.

https://tinyurl.com/mrwm6uxr
Reply by Lamont Cranston November 17, 20222022-11-17
> [...]
> I'm not asking about the Boonton,
That is actually the 4342A.
>I'm asking about where you will use the coil.
The coil I'm using is called a Q standard or work coil. From the Radio Museum, " The Q-Standard Type 513-A is a shielded reference inductor which has accurately-measured and highly-stable inductance and Q characteristics. Specifically designed for use with Q-Meters Type 260-A and 160-A, the Q-Standard is particularly useful as a check on the overall operation and accuracy of these instruments, as well as for providing precisely-known supplementary Q-circuit inductance desirable for many impedance measurements by the parallel method. (Mikek here, as in measuring resistors) The Q-Standard consists of a specially-designed, high-Q coil of Litz wire, wound on a low-loss Steatite form. The coil is hermetically sealed inside a copper shield can which is filled with inert gas under pressure. The desired Q-versus-frequency characteristics are provided by a carbon film resistor shunted across the coil. Two replaceable banana plug connectors mounted on the base serve to connect the unit to the Q-meter circuit. The Q-Standard is supplied in a convenient wooden carrying and storage case. Each unit is individually calibrated and marked with its true inductance (L), distributed capacity (Cd), effective Qe and indicated Qi at 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5 Mc, respectively. Tolerance: L ±1%, Cd ±2%, Qe ±3%, measured at 73°F. Any instrument deviating more than ± 7% from the marked value is not operating in accordance with original specifications. I'm wondering how similar to your application this test circuit is. I'm using it as the work coil, it is part of the LC to do other measurements, like a resistor. I don't have an application for the coil, it is a tool for checking calibration and to be used as a work coil for other parallel and series external component measurements. You need to add the work coil to setup a resonant LC to measure resistors, capacitors, and you can even do dielectric constant measurements. This requires a fixture. The main purpose of a Q meter is to measure Q of inductors, however, it has found other uses. Thanks, Mikek