Reply by Anthony William Sloman January 10, 20222022-01-10
On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 6:09:08 AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 18:04:58 -0800, Artist <sepf...@sj.gmail.com> > wrote: > >Why not a circuit similar to this self excited one used for the muRata > >piezoelectric microblower: > > > >https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/MurataMicroblowerDriverInfo.pdf > >The op amp I would use instead is the OPA552P. It is known this has the > >bandwidth, and the output power, to do the job. I would, therefore, not > >need the buffering transistors. > > > >To determine a compensation network I recognize I will need to > >characterize the piezo electric actuator either with a resistor, and a > >function generator, or a network analyzer if we have one. It may be that > >it won't need one due to there being no buffering transistors. > > If the resonant load has a reasonable Q, you could drive it with a square wave in a self-oscillating circuit. One simple IC and a few passives might do it.
A "modifed sine wave" would be almost as simple and would get rid of the third harmonic component. The OP didn't like that idea ether. His actuator produces a optical scan, and he'd prefer that it generated a smooth scan, but he's not up to specifying how smooth a scan he might need, and he clearly isn't up to monitoring how smooth it might be. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply by John Larkin January 10, 20222022-01-10
On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 18:04:58 -0800, Artist <sepflanze@sj.gmail.com>
wrote:

>Why not a circuit similar to this self excited one used for the muRata >piezoelectric microblower: > >https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/MurataMicroblowerDriverInfo.pdf > >? > >The op amp I would use instead is the OPA552P. It is known this has the >bandwidth, and the output power, to do the job. I would, therefore, not >need the buffering transistors. > >To determine a compensation network I recognize I will need to >characterize the piezo electric actuator either with a resistor, and a >function generator, or a network analyzer if we have one. It may be that >it won't need one due to there being no buffering transistors.
If the resonant load has a reasonable Q, you could drive it with a square wave in a self-oscillating circuit. One simple IC and a few passives might do it. -- If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts, but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties. Francis Bacon
Reply by Phil Hobbs January 10, 20222022-01-10
Chris Jones wrote:
> On 06/01/2022 02:31, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> Artist wrote: >>> The driven waveform must be sinusoidal. Purity is not critical. It >>> can be somewhat ragged. >>> >>> A way to detect phase I am considering is to use comparators to >>> convert sinewave to square wave, and then detect phase difference in >>> the similar way the CD4046 does. The logic would have to be more >>> complex than just an exclusive OR gate though, because the XOR >>> adjusts phase to 90 degrees. >>> >>> I have trouble finding a successor to the EOL XR-2206. Suggestions >>> would be appreciated. If I do not find one I may have to try self >>> excitation. >>> >> A filtered square wave, or (for fun) a 74HC4017 and some weighted >> resistors.&nbsp; We had a thread on that awhile back--2011, it was.&nbsp; The OP >> was George Herold.&nbsp; (George? You still out there, man?) >> >> <https://groups.google.com/g/sci.electronics.design/c/sZWMknd6yjw/m/8HdJPZFUriAJ>
> > It sounds like the product is not very cost-sensitive. > > There are pretty cheap DDS chips these days (AD9837 $2), which might > solve the problem of generating the waveform well. > > Something like the AD5933, AD5934 could also measure the impedance of > the transducer and a micro could use this for adjusting the tuning. This > is what I would do. > >
I suspect that the technological impedance mismatch might be a bit of an issue--the previous version used an XR2206! (Nice part though.) Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply by Chris Jones January 10, 20222022-01-10
On 06/01/2022 02:31, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Artist wrote: >> The driven waveform must be sinusoidal. Purity is not critical. It can >> be somewhat ragged. >> >> A way to detect phase I am considering is to use comparators to >> convert sinewave to square wave, and then detect phase difference in >> the similar way the CD4046 does. The logic would have to be more >> complex than just an exclusive OR gate though, because the XOR adjusts >> phase to 90 degrees. >> >> I have trouble finding a successor to the EOL XR-2206. Suggestions >> would be appreciated. If I do not find one I may have to try self >> excitation. >> > A filtered square wave, or (for fun) a 74HC4017 and some weighted > resistors.&nbsp; We had a thread on that awhile back--2011, it was.&nbsp; The OP > was George Herold.&nbsp; (George? You still out there, man?) > > <https://groups.google.com/g/sci.electronics.design/c/sZWMknd6yjw/m/8HdJPZFUriAJ> > > > Cheers > > Phil Hobbs >
It sounds like the product is not very cost-sensitive. There are pretty cheap DDS chips these days (AD9837 $2), which might solve the problem of generating the waveform well. Something like the AD5933, AD5934 could also measure the impedance of the transducer and a micro could use this for adjusting the tuning. This is what I would do.
Reply by Anthony William Sloman January 9, 20222022-01-09
On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 12:41:06 PM UTC+11, Rich S wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 6:15:37 AM UTC, Artist wrote: > > The driven waveform must be sinusoidal. Purity is not critical. It can > > be somewhat ragged. > > > > A way to detect phase I am considering is to use comparators to convert > > sinewave to square wave, and then detect phase difference in the similar > > way the CD4046 does. The logic would have to be more complex than just > > an exclusive OR gate though, because the XOR adjusts phase to 90 degrees. > > > > I have trouble finding a successor to the EOL XR-2206. Suggestions would > > be appreciated. If I do not find one I may have to try self excitation. > As a solution purely to generate a sinewave > between 70 - 8kHz, in a "drop in" strategy, > I would consider either > > 1. Microchip RE46Cxxx "Piezoelectric Horn Driver" IC > with LC tank on output to approx. the sinewave > > 2. replacements for electronic-synthesizer chips > a VCO like the CEM3340 > https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/ics/voltage-controlled-oscillator-as3340/ > or a VCF in self-resonance oscillation > SSI2144 > https://www.soundsemiconductor.com/
All of this depends on more or less knowing what you are doing, and Artist doesn't seem to have got there yet, and seems resistant to suggestions that might get him to a state where he might get closer to understanding what he is actually trying to do. At the moment what he seems to want is a drop-in replacement for the XR-2206 which produced pretty poor sine waves (by rounding off a triangular wave) and had to be trimmed to get the right drive frequency for each different actuator. It wasn't a good solution when it was chosen. He should be able to do better, but doesn't seem to realise that he could, or be all that interested in finding out how. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply by Rich S January 9, 20222022-01-09
On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 6:15:37 AM UTC, Artist wrote:
> The driven waveform must be sinusoidal. Purity is not critical. It can > be somewhat ragged. > > A way to detect phase I am considering is to use comparators to convert > sinewave to square wave, and then detect phase difference in the similar > way the CD4046 does. The logic would have to be more complex than just > an exclusive OR gate though, because the XOR adjusts phase to 90 degrees. > > I have trouble finding a successor to the EOL XR-2206. Suggestions would > be appreciated. If I do not find one I may have to try self excitation.
As a solution purely to generate a sinewave between 70 - 8kHz, in a "drop in" strategy, I would consider either 1. Microchip RE46Cxxx "Piezoelectric Horn Driver" IC with LC tank on output to approx. the sinewave 2. replacements for electronic-synthesizer chips a VCO like the CEM3340 https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/ics/voltage-controlled-oscillator-as3340/ or a VCF in self-resonance oscillation SSI2144 https://www.soundsemiconductor.com/
Reply by Jeroen Belleman January 9, 20222022-01-09
On 2022-01-09 00:51, Clifford Heath wrote:
> On 8/1/22 9:43 pm, Jeroen Belleman wrote: >> On 2022-01-08 10:53, Jan Panteltje wrote: >>> PS see https://github.com/jdesbonnet/RCWL-0516 >>> >>>> Now I just received some about 3 GHz? (still have to measure >>>> it) doppler motion detectors that work through glass etc. from >>>> a local shop, also for about 2 Euro a piece, on ebay those are >>>> even cheaper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/311911747154 Is using >>>> that frequency even legal here? Plenty of stuff play with! >>> >> >> >> Interesting gadget. I suppose Q1 does double duty as oscillator and >> mixer. The schematics are of no help to figure out how it really >> works. Anyone care to comment? The secret is all in the PCB layout >> around Q1, clearly. > > I believe it's the same approach that used to be used by the 10GHz > automatic door detectors that used to trigger automotive radar > detectors. Oscillator and mixer in one device, pick out the audio > Doppler signal. > > CH
I gathered that much, yes. I was more interested in a discussion of the PCB traces and how they work together to make an oscillator and antenna. I'm trying to guess the signs of the reactances between the terminals of Q1 at 3GHz. The trouble is that everything is coupled to everything else and I'm at a loss to tell what is dominant. Every damn bit of trace around Q1 looks like a resonator that could be either capacitive or inductive at 3GHz! At least I'm convinced that none of the actual /components/ on the schematic are involved in determining this oscillator. (Except for Q1, of course.) It's all in the PCB traces. Jeroen Belleman
Reply by Clifford Heath January 8, 20222022-01-08
On 8/1/22 9:43 pm, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> On 2022-01-08 10:53, Jan Panteltje wrote: >> PS >> see >> &#4294967295;&#4294967295; https://github.com/jdesbonnet/RCWL-0516 >> >>> Now I just received some about 3 GHz? (still have to measure it) >>> doppler motion detectors that work through glass etc. >>> from a local shop, also for about 2 Euro a piece, on ebay those are >>> even cheaper: >>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/311911747154 >>> &#4294967295; Is using that frequency even legal here? >>> Plenty of stuff play with! >> > > > Interesting gadget. I suppose Q1 does double duty as oscillator > and mixer. The schematics are of no help to figure out how it > really works. Anyone care to comment? The secret is all in the > PCB layout around Q1, clearly.
I believe it's the same approach that used to be used by the 10GHz automatic door detectors that used to trigger automotive radar detectors. Oscillator and mixer in one device, pick out the audio Doppler signal. CH
Reply by piglet January 8, 20222022-01-08
On 08/01/2022 10:43, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> On 2022-01-08 10:53, Jan Panteltje wrote: >> PS >> see >> &nbsp;&nbsp; https://github.com/jdesbonnet/RCWL-0516 >> >>> Now I just received some about 3 GHz? (still have to measure it) >>> doppler motion detectors that work through glass etc. >>> from a local shop, also for about 2 Euro a piece, on ebay those are >>> even cheaper: >>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/311911747154 >>> &nbsp; Is using that frequency even legal here? >>> Plenty of stuff play with! >> > > > Interesting gadget. I suppose Q1 does double duty as oscillator > and mixer. The schematics are of no help to figure out how it > really works. Anyone care to comment? The secret is all in the > PCB layout around Q1, clearly. > > Also, it doesn't look like this thing could work for years on > a little battery, like some PIR detectors do. > > Jeroen Belleman
Yes the oscillator transistor is also the receiver/mixer. Kinda like a grid dip oscillator or the front end of a WW2 proximity fuze. As motion detectors they also respond to drapery or foliage movement unlike PIR which only react to moving thermal emitters, that can make those microwave motion detectors useless in some applications. piglet
On 08/01/2022 02:04, Artist wrote:
> Why not a circuit similar to this self excited one used for the muRata > piezoelectric microblower: > > https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/MurataMicroblowerDriverInfo.pdf > > ? > > The op amp I would use instead is the OPA552P. It is known this has the > bandwidth, and the output power, to do the job. I would, therefore, not > need the buffering transistors. > > To determine a compensation network I recognize I will need to > characterize the piezo electric actuator either with a resistor, and a > function generator, or a network analyzer if we have one. It may be that > it won't need one due to there being no buffering transistors. >
Depending on your piezo device there could be chance of that circuit oscillating on some mode or overtone but that circuit is simple enough you could breadboard it and try inside an hour? piglet