Reply by August 17, 20202020-08-17
On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 7:24:09 PM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 14:25:44 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com > wrote: > > >On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 5:09:06 PM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > >> On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 13:46:56 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com > >> wrote: > >> > >> >I've many times made ad hoc sniffer coils for hunting out EMI & > >> >found them invaluable. This more-refined implementation came > >> >across my radar this morning, and seemed worthy of revisiting > >> >for the group. > >> > > >> >The EMI Sniffer Probe is a small pick-up coil for probing > >> >high-frequency magnetic fields with an oscilloscope, featured > >> >in Jim Williams' classic AN118, Appendix E. > >> > > >> >https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN118fb.pdf > >> > > >> >The probe is a solenoid of 10 turns of #34 wire, 0.060" diameter, > >> >encased in a brass shielding tube that has been slit to avoid the > >> >shorted turn. The coil is terminated into 50 ohms, and the whole > >> >works are mounted to a BNC for the 'scope connection. > >> > > >> >AN118 gives construction and use details vis a vis SMPS. > >> > > >> >Insulated, this sort of thing would be handy for non-contact > >> >tracing fast high-voltage currents. > >> > > >> >I may build one into some semi-rigid coax, possibly with a ferrite > >> >rod for tighter resolution. > >> > > >> >Cheers, > >> >James Arthur > >> > >> If you're looking for EMI emitters, why shield the coil? > > > >To block the electrical field--you're hunting currents, not > >capacitively-coupled voltages. > > > >> I sometimes hang a short piece of wire on the end of a coax, into a > >> spectrum analyzer. For mag fields, a cheap unshielded drum core > >> inductor works great. > >> > >> Friday, trying to find my jitter problem, just waving a scope probe > >> around was all I needed. I have two dc/dc converters on my board, and > >> therorized that one or both were getting into my nearby timing ramps. > >> Parking the probe above each converter showed its switching frequency. > > > >I do that too. Also, for mixed hash, trigger on the magic wand > >probe, while viewing the hash on another channel. That freezes > >the various hash components selectively, one-by-one. > > > >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3ohf1538qth6wl/J270_E02.jpg?raw=1 > >> > >> Once I figured out the frequency of each converter, I varied the > >> trigger rate into the box. At some cardinal rates, I could see the > >> trigger rate heterodyning the jitter pattern. Neither dc/dc switch > >> rate corresponded. The thing that did correspond was the oscillation > >> frequency of an LDO. > >> > >> Sometimes a good fet probe doesn't even need to touch a signal. Just > >> get close. > >> > >> Electronics presents us with riddles to solve. > > > >Yep. I'm intrigued with air-core power converters at the moment, > >hence the appeal of B-field probes. > > Fun. Maybe make a transformer from really thin kapton flex.
These guys put 35W through a 10mm coreless PCB-printed transformer: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6099785 That's cool. Cheers, James
Reply by George Herold August 17, 20202020-08-17
On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 4:47:00 PM UTC-4, dagmarg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I've many times made ad hoc sniffer coils for hunting out EMI & > found them invaluable. This more-refined implementation came > across my radar this morning, and seemed worthy of revisiting > for the group. > > The EMI Sniffer Probe is a small pick-up coil for probing > high-frequency magnetic fields with an oscilloscope, featured > in Jim Williams' classic AN118, Appendix E. > > https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN118fb.pdf > > The probe is a solenoid of 10 turns of #34 wire, 0.060" diameter, > encased in a brass shielding tube that has been slit to avoid the > shorted turn. The coil is terminated into 50 ohms, and the whole > works are mounted to a BNC for the 'scope connection. > > AN118 gives construction and use details vis a vis SMPS. > > Insulated, this sort of thing would be handy for non-contact > tracing fast high-voltage currents. > > I may build one into some semi-rigid coax, possibly with a ferrite > rod for tighter resolution. > > Cheers, > James Arthur
Thanks James... I need to re-read the app note to get all the details. I've made much cruder things with a few turns of stiff magnet wire. (say 20 AWG) and my x10 'scope probe. George H.
On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 3:23:51 AM UTC-4, Klaus Kragelund wrote:
> On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 2:32:03 AM UTC+2, dagmarg...@yahoo.com wrote: > > On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 6:12:51 PM UTC-4, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote: > > > Am 16.08.20 um 23:25 schrieb dagmarg...@yahoo.com: > > > > On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 5:09:06 PM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > > > > > > >> Sometimes a good fet probe doesn't even need to touch a signal. Just > > > >> get close. > > > >> > > > >> Electronics presents us with riddles to solve. > > > > > > > > Yep. I'm intrigued with air-core power converters at the moment, > > > > hence the appeal of B-field probes. > > > > > > < > > > https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/50234503206/in/dateposted-public/ > > > > > > > > > > This is my mag probe. At the end of the semi-rigid belongs a 0402 > > > or 0603 pickup coil which is broken off. > > > The brass tube shields electrostatically. It has a slot at the tip. > > > > > > The alu box has nothing to do with it, it's just that the stuff does > > > not roll away. It's for my new 12 GHz trigger prescaler in statu > > > nascendi for the sampling scope. > > > > > > > > > I don't remember where I got the idea from. Probably from EDN back in > > > time when men were men and EDN was a thumb thick bundle of interesting > > > things. > > > > > > > Cheers, > > > Gerhard > > Nice probe! I feel a bit silly I've gone all this time without > > making a nice one. > > > > Since posting, I wound two coils, ten close-wound turns of #32 > > wire each. One was formed on a 0.058" (1,5 mm) mandrel, the > > other on a 0.082" (2,1 mm) diameter mandrel. > > > > They look very promising. I think they'll offer much better spacial > > resolution than anything I've done before, plus add useful > > directivity. > > > > A ferrite rod, if I can manage to machine one that small, could > > improve the resolution and let me get the same signal from fewer > > turns, raising the self-resonant frequency in the bargain. > > > > You can build it for 10 USD as shown on EEVblog > > I just bought a 5 set version for 30 USD at Aliexpress, since I am lazy: > > https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000672321574.html
I can beat that--I was too lazy to order. I wound my coils on-the-spot from buss wire for $0.00 previously, faster than you could click "buy." But my ad hoc coils never had anything close to the spacial-resolution or directivity of Carsten's 10-turn x 1,5mm-diameter shielded coil. I watched Lasse's EEVblog link, where Dave makes a single-turn big-loop shielded pick up coil from semi-rigid coax, then goes hunting for gross noise-making areas with a spectrum analyzer. That's a fine 'finger-in-the-wind,' but that's not Carsten's idea-- Carsten's pencil-lead-diameter 'microscope' allows zooming in on individual component leads and PCB traces, and qualitatively non-contact probing the time-domain fields and currents. (When I posted I was considering building a Carsten Sniffer from semi-rigid coax, I meant 'locating the coil inside the coax shield,' not 'making coax-loops.') .-------. .----| | =+====================================| | | | .------------. #######| | | '-|10-turn coil|---[50 ohms]---------| | BNC | '------------' #######| | | ======================================| | | \ '----| | slit shield '-------' And, Carsten's ten turns produce <calculates furiously> nearly ten times the signal of a single turn, +20dB with no amplifier needed. Cheers, James Arthur
Reply by Klaus Kragelund August 17, 20202020-08-17
On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 2:32:03 AM UTC+2, dagmarg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 6:12:51 PM UTC-4, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote: > > Am 16.08.20 um 23:25 schrieb dagmarg...@yahoo.com: > > > On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 5:09:06 PM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > > > > >> Sometimes a good fet probe doesn't even need to touch a signal. Just > > >> get close. > > >> > > >> Electronics presents us with riddles to solve. > > > > > > Yep. I'm intrigued with air-core power converters at the moment, > > > hence the appeal of B-field probes. > > > > < > > https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/50234503206/in/dateposted-public/ > > > > > > > This is my mag probe. At the end of the semi-rigid belongs a 0402 > > or 0603 pickup coil which is broken off. > > The brass tube shields electrostatically. It has a slot at the tip. > > > > The alu box has nothing to do with it, it's just that the stuff does > > not roll away. It's for my new 12 GHz trigger prescaler in statu > > nascendi for the sampling scope. > > > > > > I don't remember where I got the idea from. Probably from EDN back in > > time when men were men and EDN was a thumb thick bundle of interesting > > things. > > > > > Cheers, > > Gerhard > Nice probe! I feel a bit silly I've gone all this time without > making a nice one. > > Since posting, I wound two coils, ten close-wound turns of #32 > wire each. One was formed on a 0.058" (1,5 mm) mandrel, the > other on a 0.082" (2,1 mm) diameter mandrel. > > They look very promising. I think they'll offer much better spacial > resolution than anything I've done before, plus add useful > directivity. > > A ferrite rod, if I can manage to machine one that small, could > improve the resolution and let me get the same signal from fewer > turns, raising the self-resonant frequency in the bargain. >
You can build it for 10 USD as shown on EEVblog I just bought a 5 set version for 30 USD at Aliexpress, since I am lazy: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000672321574.html
Reply by August 16, 20202020-08-16
On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 6:12:51 PM UTC-4, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote:
> Am 16.08.20 um 23:25 schrieb dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com: > > On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 5:09:06 PM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > > >> Sometimes a good fet probe doesn't even need to touch a signal. Just > >> get close. > >> > >> Electronics presents us with riddles to solve. > > > > Yep. I'm intrigued with air-core power converters at the moment, > > hence the appeal of B-field probes. > > < > https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/50234503206/in/dateposted-public/ > > > > This is my mag probe. At the end of the semi-rigid belongs a 0402 > or 0603 pickup coil which is broken off. > The brass tube shields electrostatically. It has a slot at the tip. > > The alu box has nothing to do with it, it's just that the stuff does > not roll away. It's for my new 12 GHz trigger prescaler in statu > nascendi for the sampling scope. > > > I don't remember where I got the idea from. Probably from EDN back in > time when men were men and EDN was a thumb thick bundle of interesting > things. > > > Cheers, > Gerhard
Nice probe! I feel a bit silly I've gone all this time without making a nice one. Since posting, I wound two coils, ten close-wound turns of #32 wire each. One was formed on a 0.058" (1,5 mm) mandrel, the other on a 0.082" (2,1 mm) diameter mandrel. They look very promising. I think they'll offer much better spacial resolution than anything I've done before, plus add useful directivity. A ferrite rod, if I can manage to machine one that small, could improve the resolution and let me get the same signal from fewer turns, raising the self-resonant frequency in the bargain. Cheers, James Arthur
wrote:

>On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 5:09:06 PM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: >> On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 13:46:56 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com >> wrote: >> >> >I've many times made ad hoc sniffer coils for hunting out EMI & >> >found them invaluable. This more-refined implementation came >> >across my radar this morning, and seemed worthy of revisiting >> >for the group. >> > >> >The EMI Sniffer Probe is a small pick-up coil for probing >> >high-frequency magnetic fields with an oscilloscope, featured >> >in Jim Williams' classic AN118, Appendix E. >> > >> >https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN118fb.pdf >> > >> >The probe is a solenoid of 10 turns of #34 wire, 0.060" diameter, >> >encased in a brass shielding tube that has been slit to avoid the >> >shorted turn. The coil is terminated into 50 ohms, and the whole >> >works are mounted to a BNC for the 'scope connection. >> > >> >AN118 gives construction and use details vis a vis SMPS. >> > >> >Insulated, this sort of thing would be handy for non-contact >> >tracing fast high-voltage currents. >> > >> >I may build one into some semi-rigid coax, possibly with a ferrite >> >rod for tighter resolution. >> > >> >Cheers, >> >James Arthur >> >> If you're looking for EMI emitters, why shield the coil? > >To block the electrical field--you're hunting currents, not >capacitively-coupled voltages. > >> I sometimes hang a short piece of wire on the end of a coax, into a >> spectrum analyzer. For mag fields, a cheap unshielded drum core >> inductor works great. >> >> Friday, trying to find my jitter problem, just waving a scope probe >> around was all I needed. I have two dc/dc converters on my board, and >> therorized that one or both were getting into my nearby timing ramps. >> Parking the probe above each converter showed its switching frequency. > >I do that too. Also, for mixed hash, trigger on the magic wand >probe, while viewing the hash on another channel. That freezes >the various hash components selectively, one-by-one. > >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3ohf1538qth6wl/J270_E02.jpg?raw=1 >> >> Once I figured out the frequency of each converter, I varied the >> trigger rate into the box. At some cardinal rates, I could see the >> trigger rate heterodyning the jitter pattern. Neither dc/dc switch >> rate corresponded. The thing that did correspond was the oscillation >> frequency of an LDO. >> >> Sometimes a good fet probe doesn't even need to touch a signal. Just >> get close. >> >> Electronics presents us with riddles to solve. > >Yep. I'm intrigued with air-core power converters at the moment, >hence the appeal of B-field probes.
Fun. Maybe make a transformer from really thin kapton flex.
> >Cheers, >James
HP once sold a "modulation domain analyzer." They had a cool 3d diagram in an ad that showed a scope on one axis - voltage vs time - and a spectrum analyzer on another axis - voltage vs frequency - and proposed a new instrument on the 3rd axis that measured frequency vs time, or maybe it was time vs time. They sold some but I don't think it was popular. I often see, say, time or period jitter and wonder what the source is. If the time error vs time showed a 60 Hz component, I'd know where to look. Imagine a spectrum analysis of the discriminated time error. The telecom people care about this. A digital oscilloscope should be able to display time error vs time, but I don't know of one that does. I'm seeing maybe 10 ps RMS jitter on my 25 ns range, just about an inch from the two dc/dc converters. But that jitter includes my DDG and my old Tek sampling scope, so it's actually less. One rough r.o.t. is that a really good analog ramp has 1 part in 20,000 RMS jitter. If I can commandeer some muscle, and clear off a square yard of bench space, I'll drag up the monster LeCroy scope and get a better jitter measurement. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc Science teaches us to doubt. Claude Bernard
Reply by Lasse Langwadt Christensen August 16, 20202020-08-16
https://youtu.be/2xy3Hm1_ZqI
Reply by Gerhard Hoffmann August 16, 20202020-08-16
> [...]
I do that too. Also, for mixed hash, trigger on the magic wand probe, while viewing the hash on another channel. That freezes the various hash components selectively, one-by-one.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3ohf1538qth6wl/J270_E02.jpg?raw=1 > > Once I figured out the frequency of each converter, I varied the > trigger rate into the box. At some cardinal rates, I could see the > trigger rate heterodyning the jitter pattern. Neither dc/dc switch > rate corresponded. The thing that did correspond was the oscillation > frequency of an LDO. > > Sometimes a good fet probe doesn't even need to touch a signal. Just > get close. > > Electronics presents us with riddles to solve.
Yep. I'm intrigued with air-core power converters at the moment, hence the appeal of B-field probes. Cheers, James
wrote:

>I've many times made ad hoc sniffer coils for hunting out EMI & >found them invaluable. This more-refined implementation came >across my radar this morning, and seemed worthy of revisiting >for the group. > >The EMI Sniffer Probe is a small pick-up coil for probing >high-frequency magnetic fields with an oscilloscope, featured >in Jim Williams' classic AN118, Appendix E. > >https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN118fb.pdf > >The probe is a solenoid of 10 turns of #34 wire, 0.060" diameter, >encased in a brass shielding tube that has been slit to avoid the >shorted turn. The coil is terminated into 50 ohms, and the whole >works are mounted to a BNC for the 'scope connection. > >AN118 gives construction and use details vis a vis SMPS. > >Insulated, this sort of thing would be handy for non-contact >tracing fast high-voltage currents. > >I may build one into some semi-rigid coax, possibly with a ferrite >rod for tighter resolution. > >Cheers, >James Arthur
If you're looking for EMI emitters, why shield the coil? I sometimes hang a short piece of wire on the end of a coax, into a spectrum analyzer. For mag fields, a cheap unshielded drum core inductor works great. Friday, trying to find my jitter problem, just waving a scope probe around was all I needed. I have two dc/dc converters on my board, and therorized that one or both were getting into my nearby timing ramps. Parking the probe above each converter showed its switching frequency. https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3ohf1538qth6wl/J270_E02.jpg?raw=1 Once I figured out the frequency of each converter, I varied the trigger rate into the box. At some cardinal rates, I could see the trigger rate heterodyning the jitter pattern. Neither dc/dc switch rate corresponded. The thing that did correspond was the oscillation frequency of an LDO. Sometimes a good fet probe doesn't even need to touch a signal. Just get close. Electronics presents us with riddles to solve. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc Science teaches us to doubt. Claude Bernard