Reply by Tabby August 16, 20202020-08-16
On Sunday, 16 August 2020 15:31:58 UTC+1, Phool Allison  wrote:
> Tabby the Fucking Idiot wrote: > > =============================== > > > > ============== > > > > > > > > All valves require heater power to conduct. > > > > All only conduct once the heater is hot. > > > > > ** Shame about cold cathode tubes then ... > > > > The OP asked for an introduction, > > ** Not bullshit. > > > > > > > ** By pure coincidence, I was looking at max plate I in relation to 6L6GC and 6550 types this morning. > > > > > > The figures are not published in the max listings but some info can be gleaned from sets of graphs. Max available plate current is a function mostly of screen volts, plus any inherent limits on cathode emission - which varies with tube condition and brand. > > > > > > For Russian made examples in good condition I found max plate I to be 400 and 750 mA respectively, long as the screen supply was 450V or more. > > > > > > However, a used US made Sylvania 6L6GC was able to pass 550 mA under the same ( 50Hz pulse) test conditions. > > > > > > See link for details of my test set up: > > > > > > https://sound-au.com/project165.htm > > > > > > > > > > I_max degrades over the valve's lifetime, and the harder you > > push it the less well it lasts. Hence in some apps the valves > > last & last, and in some harder pushed designs they don't. > > Valves effectively have guidelines. > > > > ** Shame autistic *raving lunatics* like you do not have any. > > I sincerely look forward to you imminent death, as does everyone unlucky enough to know you. > > > > ..... Phil
What's wrong with this one, anyone know?
Reply by david eather August 16, 20202020-08-16
On 10/08/2020 11:14 am, bitrex wrote:
> On 8/9/2020 6:21 PM, Tim Williams wrote: >> Hard to go wrong with good old RDH4, >> http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/RDH4.pdf >> >> May be a little on the heavy side if you're more generally beginner, >> than an active designer and just unfamiliar with tubes in particular. >> >> Also plenty of articles and web pages by varying degrees of experts, >> fans and nuts.&#4294967295; Tubecad comes to mind as one of the generally >> informative ones. Downside is, the audioph{ile|ool} community won't >> give the most practical or representative picture of things, so keep >> that in mind. >> >> Tim >> > > An RDH4 alternative from the time period that's a bit more compact but > covers the important topics: > > <https://www.amazon.com/Electron-tube-Circuits-Samuel-Seely/dp/B00005VRTP>
looking into it. thanks
On 10/08/2020 8:21 am, Tim Williams wrote:
> Hard to go wrong with good old RDH4, > http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/RDH4.pdf > > May be a little on the heavy side if you're more generally beginner, > than an active designer and just unfamiliar with tubes in particular. > > Also plenty of articles and web pages by varying degrees of experts, > fans and nuts.&#4294967295; Tubecad comes to mind as one of the generally > informative ones. Downside is, the audioph{ile|ool} community won't give > the most practical or representative picture of things, so keep that in > mind. > > Tim >
RDH4 looks very good. Thanks. Now to stoke up the fireplace and sit down with a coffee....HOLY CRAP 1500+ pages! Seriously, thanks.
On 10/08/2020 7:20 am, boB wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 07:06:13 +1000, david eather > <eathDELETEer@tpg.com.au> wrote: > >> suggestions please >> TIA > > > Lots of old books scanned online. > > Search for vacuum tube design or similar into Google etc... > > www.archive.org will have many books I believe. > > > >
many, many, books. I didn't know about archive.org . Thanks
Reply by Phil Allison August 16, 20202020-08-16

===============================

On Sunday, 16 August 2020 at 05:42:04 UTC+1, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Tabby wrote: > > ============== > > > > All valves require heater power to conduct. > > All only conduct once the heater is hot.
> ** Shame about cold cathode tubes then ...
The OP asked for an introduction , obviously there is far more to the subject.
> > Current limiting under overload > > triode: same as a fet, but high Va usually required > > pentode: as triode but the screen grid requires a fair bit > > of +ve V at lowish i. > > > ** By pure coincidence, I was looking at max plate I in relation to 6L6GC and 6550 types this morning. > > The figures are not published in the max listings but some info can be gleaned from sets of graphs. Max available plate current is a function mostly of screen volts, plus any inherent limits on cathode emission - which varies with tube condition and brand. > > For Russian made examples in good condition I found max plate I to be 400 and 750 mA respectively, long as the screen supply was 450V or more. > > However, a used US made Sylvania 6L6GC was able to pass 550 mA under the same ( 50Hz pulse) test conditions. > > See link for details of my test set up: > > https://sound-au.com/project165.htm > > > ..... Phil
I_max degrades over the valve's lifetime, and the harder you push it the less well it lasts. Hence in some apps the valves last & last, and in some harder pushed designs they don't. Valves effectively have guidelines. NT

==============
On Sunday, 16 August 2020 at 00:45:53 UTC+1, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> david eather wrote: > > ================ > > > > >>> ** Your Q is way too broad - the topic of tubes is ENORMOUS while current production involves only a few popular audio types. > > >>> > > >>> FFS tell us what you ACTUALLY wish to know about. > > >>> > > >> > > > > OK maybe this helps. I would like to learn enough so I can look at a > > schematic of basic valve circuits and be able to work out what it is and > > what it does. > > > > > ** So you are never going to answer the question. > > > > ..... Phil
All valves require heater power to conduct. All only conduct once the heater is hot. diode: lower i, much higher Vf than silicon. Current limiting under overload triode: same as a fet, but high Va usually required pentode: as triode but the screen grid requires a fair bit of +ve V at lowish i. Pentodes have less Cag & more gain. Hexode, pentagrid etc: bit more complex. NT
Reply by Phil Allison August 15, 20202020-08-15
david eather wrote:

** So you are never going to answer the question. ..... Phil
Reply by david eather August 15, 20202020-08-15
On 14/08/2020 4:05 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> david eather who refuses to answer a simple question wrote: > > =========================================================== > >>> ** Your Q is way too broad - the topic of tubes is ENORMOUS while current production involves only a few popular audio types. >>> >>> FFS tell us what you ACTUALLY wish to know about. >>> >> >> A very fair question. > > > ** Which is still going unanswered. > > >> As a young lad I had no contact with valves. At uni I had no need to >> know anything about them and studiously (is that even possible?) avoided >> them. Now at home much more because of CV19, I have lots of spare time >> and while it is not going to be a source of any income I would like to >> fill at least some of my ignorance. >> > > ** And you imagine reading a book will do that ? > > >> So I am looking for a good general introductory book on the subject. > > > ** What subject is that ? > > We cannot reads your mind. > > >> see lots of recommendations which I will go through 'till I find >> something of the right level. > > > ** So you are not going to answer the Q at all ? > > Wot a PIA you are. > > > ..... Phil > >
OK maybe this helps. I would like to learn enough so I can look at a schematic of basic valve circuits and be able to work out what it is and what it does. Also very important: You didn't like the road runner joke?