Reply by John Doe January 16, 20192019-01-16
Don Kuenz <g@crcomp.net> wrote:

> John Robertson <spam@flippers.com> wrote: >> John Doe wrote:
>>> As far as I know, using an oscilloscope for drones, I have >>> absolutely no use for the BL's logic analyzer. But it looks like >>> the inclusion of a logic analyzer is a huge value. Another >>> concern with the BE is that apparently it is discontinued. >>> >>> Looks ike most of the problems people have with those two >>> oscilloscopes are caused by their inability to use a PC. >>> >>> Just to check my understanding of a "logic analyzer"... That's >>> like when you want to know what happens when pressing a touch >>> swhich that goes to some logic circuit? In other words... When a >>> logic output goes high, this is what happens to subsequent >>> logic? >>> >>> I'm confident that's correct, just double checking.
>> A logic analyzer can show you a record of data both before and >> after a Trigger Event. You decide what data to monitor and what >> the Trigger Event(s) is(are), then how much prior data and >> subsequent data you wish to be able to review. This information >> determines the number of data lines, speed, and storage capacity >> required of your LA device. >> >> For most of us the data of interest is address and data buses >> along with various interrupts, etc. based on real world >> interactions. > > My ChronoVu LA16 enabled me to take a peek at the I2C conversation > that ensues between a motherboard and memory during the power-on > self-test. Another thread mentions the pocket sized DSO150 > oscilloscope. Part of my job entails field service, so a DSO150 > was ordered for my truck's tool kit, mostly because the price is > right. It'll be interesting to see how handy the DSO150 proves to > be on service calls.
The Hantek 6022BE obviously does lots of stuff a multimeter cannot do. I haven't been able to log voltages for X amount of time (a simple programmatic thing), but it does act like an oscilloscope. I can easily and clearly see the speed control signal sent to my drone's electronic speed controller (x4), and see that it is a pulse width modulated signal. You just click on "Autosetup", it puts the signal in plain view, then increase the throttle and watch what happens to the waveform and the duty cycle readout.
Reply by Don Kuenz January 11, 20192019-01-11
John Robertson <spam@flippers.com> wrote:
> On 2019/01/04 9:41 a.m., John Doe wrote: >> As far as I know, using an oscilloscope for drones, I have absolutely no >> use for the BL's logic analyzer. But it looks like the inclusion of a >> logic analyzer is a huge value. Another concern with the BE is that >> apparently it is discontinued. >> >> Looks ike most of the problems people have with those two oscilloscopes >> are caused by their inability to use a PC. >> >> Just to check my understanding of a "logic analyzer"... That's like when >> you want to know what happens when pressing a touch swhich that goes to >> some logic circuit? In other words... When a logic output goes high, >> this is what happens to subsequent logic? >> >> I'm confident that's correct, just double checking. >> >> Thanks. >> > > A logic analyzer can show you a record of data both before and after a > Trigger Event. You decide what data to monitor and what the Trigger > Event(s) is(are), then how much prior data and subsequent data you wish > to be able to review. This information determines the number of data > lines, speed, and storage capacity required of your LA device. > > For most of us the data of interest is address and data buses along with > various interrupts, etc. based on real world interactions.
My ChronoVu LA16 enabled me to take a peek at the I2C conversation that ensues between a motherboard and memory during the power-on self-test. Another thread mentions the pocket sized DSO150 oscilloscope. Part of my job entails field service, so a DSO150 was ordered for my truck's tool kit, mostly because the price is right. It'll be interesting to see how handy the DSO150 proves to be on service calls. Thank you, 73, -- Don Kuenz KB7RPU There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light; She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
Reply by January 10, 20192019-01-10
On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 9:07:12 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
> gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com wrote: > > > There is not much about the 6022 that you could call "capable". > > Then you shouldn't ask $50 for it.
Buy it or don't.
> > I would like to be able to carry a scope in my PC bag. > > Huh?
What word don't you understand? Rick C. ++ Get 6 months of free supercharging ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply by John Doe January 10, 20192019-01-10

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 7:35:32 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 4:47:42 AM UTC-5, John Doe wrote: > > gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com wrote: > > > > > ...never got the software for the Hantek scope to work. It > > > installed, but does nothing useful. > > > > > > I have the version with the logic analyzer... > > > > https://sigrok.org/wiki/Hantek_6022BL > > > > https://sigrok.org/wiki/Downloads#Windows > > > > Hantek has a Wi-Fi version that is more capable. It supposedly connects > > to various devices like a PC, an Android device, and an iPhone/iPad. I > > would be concerned about the stock software. > > > > Dedicated hardware might be best, but the one obvious benefit of using a > > PC for text and graphics applications is a relatively huge screen. > > There is not much about the 6022 that you could call "capable". The issue has nothing to do with the PC connection. This is an oscilloscope made using an MCU chip... that's it, an MCU chip. Don't expect much performance because you won't see it. I bought the unit I have because I was considering a higher end unit at a higher price tag. Now that I know they put so little effort into the software and support I won't be buying anything with their name on it. There are competing products that actually work. > > Rick C. > > -- Get 6 months of free supercharging > -- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Oh, BTW, the big advantage of attached equipment is the size and weight savings. A scope with a display and control panel would be as large as a PC. I would like to be able to carry a scope in my PC bag. Rick C. -+ Get 6 months of free supercharging -+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply by January 10, 20192019-01-10
On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 4:47:42 AM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
> gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com wrote: > > > ...never got the software for the Hantek scope to work. It > > installed, but does nothing useful. > > > > I have the version with the logic analyzer... > > https://sigrok.org/wiki/Hantek_6022BL > > https://sigrok.org/wiki/Downloads#Windows > > Hantek has a Wi-Fi version that is more capable. It supposedly connects > to various devices like a PC, an Android device, and an iPhone/iPad. I > would be concerned about the stock software. > > Dedicated hardware might be best, but the one obvious benefit of using a > PC for text and graphics applications is a relatively huge screen.
There is not much about the 6022 that you could call "capable". The issue has nothing to do with the PC connection. This is an oscilloscope made using an MCU chip... that's it, an MCU chip. Don't expect much performance because you won't see it. I bought the unit I have because I was considering a higher end unit at a higher price tag. Now that I know they put so little effort into the software and support I won't be buying anything with their name on it. There are competing products that actually work. Rick C. -- Get 6 months of free supercharging -- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply by John Doe January 10, 20192019-01-10
Correction...

> https://sigrok.org/wiki/Downloads#Windows
https://sigrok.org/wiki/Downloads
Reply by John Doe January 10, 20192019-01-10
gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com wrote:

> ...never got the software for the Hantek scope to work. It > installed, but does nothing useful. > > I have the version with the logic analyzer...
https://sigrok.org/wiki/Hantek_6022BL https://sigrok.org/wiki/Downloads#Windows Hantek has a Wi-Fi version that is more capable. It supposedly connects to various devices like a PC, an Android device, and an iPhone/iPad. I would be concerned about the stock software. Dedicated hardware might be best, but the one obvious benefit of using a PC for text and graphics applications is a relatively huge screen.
Reply by January 9, 20192019-01-09
On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 5:32:23 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
> Mike <ham789@netscape.net> wrote: > > > John Doe wrote: > >> Mike <ham789@netscape.net> wrote: > >>> John Doe wrote: > >>>> Mike <ham789@netscape.net> wrote: > >>>>> John Robertson wrote: > >>>>>> John Doe wrote: > >>>> > >>>>>>> As far as I know, using an oscilloscope for drones, I have > >>>>>>> absolutely no use for the BL's logic analyzer. But it looks > >>>>>>> like the inclusion of a logic analyzer is a huge value. > >>>>>>> Another concern with the BE is that apparently it is > >>>>>>> discontinued. > >>>>>>> > >>>>>>> Looks ike most of the problems people have with those two > >>>>>>> oscilloscopes are caused by their inability to use a PC. > >>>>>>> > >>>>>>> Just to check my understanding of a "logic analyzer"... > >>>>>>> That's like when you want to know what happens when pressing > >>>>>>> a touch switch that goes to some logic circuit? In other > >>>>>>> words... When a logic output goes high, this is what happens > >>>>>>> to subsequent logic? > >>>>>>> > >>>>>>> I'm confident that's correct, just double checking. > >>>> > >>>>>> A logic analyzer can show you a record of data both before > >>>>>> and after a Trigger Event. You decide what data to monitor > >>>>>> and what the Trigger Event(s) is(are), then how much prior > >>>>>> data and subsequent data you wish to be able to review. This > >>>>>> information determines the number of data lines, speed, and > >>>>>> storage capacity required of your LA device. > >>>>>> > >>>>>> For most of us the data of interest is address and data buses > >>>>>> along with various interrupts, etc. based on real world > >>>>>> interactions. > >>>> > >>>>> The most important decision is "What am I gonna do with this?" > >>>>> You wouldn't buy a phillips screwdriver to remove torx screws. > >>>>> You shouldn't buy a scope that won't measure what you're > >>>>> after. > >>>>> > >>>>> Based on a 10 minute google, both scopes appear to be absolute > >>>>> crap. > >>>> > >>>> References? Many of the negative reviews appear to be from > >>>> people who have trouble using a PC. As a PC guru, oftentimes I > >>>> can tell by what they write, they are stumbling over PC user > >>>> problems. For example when a reviewer says "It doesn't work!" > >>>> Typically that means they do not know how to set up the > >>>> software, update the firmware, etc. > >>>> > >>> All you gotta do is go read the manual/specs. It's not about > >>> the PC. It's about the (lack of) specs and (lack of) user > >>> operation of the interface. > >> > >> What specs do I need for drones? > > > > That's my point, I don't know, and looks like neither do you. > > That's why I asked, Sherlock. > > "I have absolutely no use for the BL's logic analyzer."
I can't tell you anything about drones and what you might want to use with them as I have no idea what you are doing with the drone. But I can tell you a scope is useful for looking at analog signals while a logic analyzer is useful for looking at digital signals. The scope records the actual voltage at each time sample while the logic analyzer just tells you if the voltage was above or below a given voltage. The scope typically has 2 or 4 inputs while a logic analyzer can have 8 or many more. 36 channels is not unusual. As someone pointed out logic analyzers often have serial protocol software while it is less common on scopes. Does any of this ring a bell for you? Rick C. + Get 6 months of free supercharging + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 4:44:31 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
> Mike <ham789@netscape.net> wrote: > > > John Robertson wrote: > >> John Doe wrote: > > >>> As far as I know, using an oscilloscope for drones, I have > >>> absolutely no use for the BL's logic analyzer. But it looks like > >>> the inclusion of a logic analyzer is a huge value. Another > >>> concern with the BE is that apparently it is discontinued. > >>> > >>> Looks ike most of the problems people have with those two > >>> oscilloscopes are caused by their inability to use a PC. > >>> > >>> Just to check my understanding of a "logic analyzer"... That's > >>> like when you want to know what happens when pressing a touch > >>> switch that goes to some logic circuit? In other words... When a > >>> logic output goes high, this is what happens to subsequent > >>> logic? > >>> > >>> I'm confident that's correct, just double checking. > > >> A logic analyzer can show you a record of data both before and > >> after a Trigger Event. You decide what data to monitor and what > >> the Trigger Event(s) is(are), then how much prior data and > >> subsequent data you wish to be able to review. This information > >> determines the number of data lines, speed, and storage capacity > >> required of your LA device. > >> > >> For most of us the data of interest is address and data buses > >> along with various interrupts, etc. based on real world > >> interactions. > > > The most important decision is "What am I gonna do with this?" You > > wouldn't buy a phillips screwdriver to remove torx screws. You > > shouldn't buy a scope that won't measure what you're after. > > > > Based on a 10 minute google, both scopes appear to be absolute > > crap. > > References? > Many of the negative reviews appear to be from people who have > trouble using a PC. As a PC guru, oftentimes I can tell by what they > write, they are stumbling over PC user problems. For example when a > reviewer says "It doesn't work!" Typically that means they do not > know how to set up the software, update the firmware, etc.
I'm one of those people. I use 20 year old email software on four different versions of Windows, a 10 year old, unsupported PCB layout program under the same 4 versions of Windows, but never got the software for the Hantek scope to work. It installed, but does nothing useful. I have the version with the logic analyzer because from the specs available for the unit it was not possible to tell that the two are in no way linked or synchronized. They simply share the same USB interface and power connector. I'll sell it for $50. Not sure what they are selling for now. Rick C. - Get 6 months of free supercharging - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209