Reply by Badbob May 25, 20182018-05-25
On 1/30/2018 2:56 PM, oldschool@tubes.com wrote:
> SFE 0.5 amp / 250V
Consider Amazon. I used them to find a rare car fuse not found locally. Because they have everything I always find stuff to make up an order for free shipping. Bob
Reply by Brian Gregory March 26, 20182018-03-26
On 20/03/2018 13:58, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <0radnSinAYWBEi3HnZ2dnUU78YudnZ2d@giganews.com>, void- > invalid-dead-dontuse@gmail.com says... >> >> On 30/01/2018 20:56, oldschool@tubes.com wrote: >>> I have a GB Instruments multimeter (GMT -19A). >>> I've had this meter for years and it's always worked fine. >>> >>> It came with 2 fuses. One was installed in the fuse holder inside by the >>> batteries. The other is a spare fuse which was in a plastic clip on the >>> other side of the batteries, and meant to be a spare. >>> >>> The fuses are 7/8 inch long and are supposed to be SFE 0.5 amp / 250V. >> >... >> >> WTF does SFE mean?? > > Society of Fuse Engineers > > <snip> >
Definitely very sub-standard for this application then. -- Brian Gregory (in England).
Reply by Ralph Mowery March 20, 20182018-03-20
In article <0radnSinAYWBEi3HnZ2dnUU78YudnZ2d@giganews.com>, void-
invalid-dead-dontuse@gmail.com says...
> > On 30/01/2018 20:56, oldschool@tubes.com wrote: > > I have a GB Instruments multimeter (GMT -19A). > > I've had this meter for years and it's always worked fine. > > > > It came with 2 fuses. One was installed in the fuse holder inside by the > > batteries. The other is a spare fuse which was in a plastic clip on the > > other side of the batteries, and meant to be a spare. > > > > The fuses are 7/8 inch long and are supposed to be SFE 0.5 amp / 250V. > >... > > WTF does SFE mean??
Society of Fuse Engineers North-American built automobiles up to 1981 had electrical systems protected by cylindrical glass cartridge fuses rated 32 volts DC and current ratings from 4 amperes to 30 amperes. These are known as "SFE" fuses, as they were designed by the Society of Fuse Engineers to prevent the insertion of a grossly inadequate or unsafe fuse into the vehicle's fuse panel.[3][4] These SFE fuses all have a ?1/4 inch diameter, and the length varies according to the rating of the fuse. A 4 amp SFE 4 fuse is ?5/8 inch long (the same dimension as an AGA fuse of any rating), a 6 amp SFE 6 fuse is ?3/4 inch long, a 7.5 amp SFE 7.5 fuse is ?7/8 inch long (same as an AGW fuse of any rating), a 9 amp SFE 9 fuse is ?7/8 inch long (same as an AGW fuse of any rating), a 14 amp SFE 14 fuse is 1?1/16 inch long, a 20 amp SFE 20 fuse is 1?1/4 inch long (same as an AGC fuse of any rating), and a 30 amp SFE 30 fuse is 1?7/16 inches long.[3]
Reply by Brian Gregory March 20, 20182018-03-20
On 30/01/2018 20:56, oldschool@tubes.com wrote:
> I have a GB Instruments multimeter (GMT -19A). > I've had this meter for years and it's always worked fine. > > It came with 2 fuses. One was installed in the fuse holder inside by the > batteries. The other is a spare fuse which was in a plastic clip on the > other side of the batteries, and meant to be a spare. > > The fuses are 7/8 inch long and are supposed to be SFE 0.5 amp / 250V.
>... WTF does SFE mean?? -- Brian Gregory (in England).
Reply by February 4, 20182018-02-04
On Friday, 2 February 2018 22:22:45 UTC, Long Hair  wrote:
> Long Hair wrote: > > oldschool@tubes.com wrote: > > > >> I guess Amazon is now the online version of Walgreens, and from what I > >> understand, I would have to pay them to join their bullshit "club". NO > >> THANKS! > >> > > > > Never had any problem with Amazon. Been shopping there for decades. > > One does not have to join a club. I have alway chosen the free shipping > > route. > > > > The ONLY time the shipping is NOT free is when the item you chose is > > sold by a third party and Amazon simply listed the item and brokered the > > sale. > > > > You appear too angry, and presumptive. Must have one or more of those > > tubes up your ass. > > And no... buying one 3 dollar item is NOT free to ship. > > The order has to be enough that the handling fees get eaten. Get a > clue.
Amazon has both, items that are what they say upfront and ones where you only get free shipping if you spend 20 notes or pay to join 'prime.' Most things are just what they say, so although the time wasting stuff is there there isn't much of it. NT
Reply by Jasen Betts February 3, 20182018-02-03
On 2018-02-03, oldschool@tubes.com <oldschool@tubes.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 22:22:39 +0000 (UTC), Long Hair ><DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadentlinuxuser.org> wrote: > >>Long Hair wrote: >> >>> oldschool@tubes.com wrote: >>> >>>> I guess Amazon is now the online version of Walgreens, and from what I >>>> understand, I would have to pay them to join their bullshit "club". NO >>>> THANKS! >>>> >>> >>> Never had any problem with Amazon. Been shopping there for decades. >>> One does not have to join a club. I have alway chosen the free shipping >>> route. >>> >>> The ONLY time the shipping is NOT free is when the item you chose is >>> sold by a third party and Amazon simply listed the item and brokered the >>> sale. >>> >>> You appear too angry, and presumptive. Must have one or more of those >>> tubes up your ass. >> >> And no... buying one 3 dollar item is NOT free to ship. >> >> The order has to be enough that the handling fees get eaten. Get a >>clue. > > No, I'm not angry. I just dont shop at places that annoy me with > bullshit games, and I dont give out personal information to businesses. > My choice! > > You made my point. I regularly buy $3 items online. Just today I ordered > some XLR adapters that cost around $5. When I need a $5 item, I buy it > and dont expect to meet a $25 minimum. Same as when I buy a can of soup > in the grocery, for $2.79. Thats what I need and that is all I intend to > buy. > > When I go to Ebay, I can order small items one at a time and checkout > with no hassle. If they want me to pay $5 shipping for a $3 item, I can > find another seller, or not buy the item. > > And what is a "handling fee"? Shipping is a REAL thing, but handling > fees are bullshit. If they dont want to handle the item, they should not > be in business. If the local grocery store tried to charge me $1 for a > $2 can of soup, I'd tell them where to shove that can. Why should I have > to pay someone to handle an item, when that is THEIR BUSINESS. If they > dont want to handle items, dont run a mail order business.
basically it's the non-refundable part of the item price. it would be more reasonable to include it in the price, but mention it as restocking fee, but customers aren't smart enough to demand that.
> I tried to buy something from Amazon this week. For an $8 item, they > said the shipping would be free if I bought $25 worth. Then insisted I > be a "prime" member. I didn't need $25 worth of stuff nor do I want to > join their club. So, they made me go thru thru the entire checkout > process before telling me that I'd have to pay around $17 to buy it.
At least they told you. My last order through amazon they didn't tell me the true price until I had paid. -- This email has not been checked by half-arsed antivirus software
Reply by Long Hair February 3, 20182018-02-03
oldschool@tubes.com wrote:

> And what is a "handling fee"?
An order at an Amazon warehouse does not assemble and ship tag and handoff to the shipper all by itself. And you go to the store. There is no ship cost. Not even a valid comparison. It has always been shipping and handling. It has simply been only referred to as "shipping". You can bet, however, that those merchants have agreements with those shippers and get far lower rates than what you see. So the number reflects the ship fee *and* the handling fee, even though the moniker used does not and there is always the single price. That is why is some cases they can eat the "shipping".
Reply by February 2, 20182018-02-02
On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 22:22:39 +0000 (UTC), Long Hair
<DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadentlinuxuser.org> wrote:

>Long Hair wrote: > >> oldschool@tubes.com wrote: >> >>> I guess Amazon is now the online version of Walgreens, and from what I >>> understand, I would have to pay them to join their bullshit "club". NO >>> THANKS! >>> >> >> Never had any problem with Amazon. Been shopping there for decades. >> One does not have to join a club. I have alway chosen the free shipping >> route. >> >> The ONLY time the shipping is NOT free is when the item you chose is >> sold by a third party and Amazon simply listed the item and brokered the >> sale. >> >> You appear too angry, and presumptive. Must have one or more of those >> tubes up your ass. > > And no... buying one 3 dollar item is NOT free to ship. > > The order has to be enough that the handling fees get eaten. Get a >clue.
No, I'm not angry. I just dont shop at places that annoy me with bullshit games, and I dont give out personal information to businesses. My choice! You made my point. I regularly buy $3 items online. Just today I ordered some XLR adapters that cost around $5. When I need a $5 item, I buy it and dont expect to meet a $25 minimum. Same as when I buy a can of soup in the grocery, for $2.79. Thats what I need and that is all I intend to buy. When I go to Ebay, I can order small items one at a time and checkout with no hassle. If they want me to pay $5 shipping for a $3 item, I can find another seller, or not buy the item. And what is a "handling fee"? Shipping is a REAL thing, but handling fees are bullshit. If they dont want to handle the item, they should not be in business. If the local grocery store tried to charge me $1 for a $2 can of soup, I'd tell them where to shove that can. Why should I have to pay someone to handle an item, when that is THEIR BUSINESS. If they dont want to handle items, dont run a mail order business. I tried to buy something from Amazon this week. For an $8 item, they said the shipping would be free if I bought $25 worth. Then insisted I be a "prime" member. I didn't need $25 worth of stuff nor do I want to join their club. So, they made me go thru thru the entire checkout process before telling me that I'd have to pay around $17 to buy it. I found the identical item on Ebay for $7.25 with FREE shipping and no other costs. Guess where I bought it?
Reply by Long Hair February 2, 20182018-02-02