Reply by Michael A Terrell October 29, 20172017-10-29
rickman wrote:
> > Shouldn't black be pin zero?
If you can find a pin zero, you can use it.
Reply by rickman October 28, 20172017-10-28
Michael A Terrell wrote on 10/28/2017 3:27 PM:
> David Lesher wrote: >> Michael A Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> writes: >> >>>> I need some 10 position one-row headers but will likely use >>>> two-row 20's and ignore the other. I do plan to plug them end >>>> to end but will need to hold them. Thinking a slotted /______\ >>>> piece of soft plastic that in turn is mounted to the DIN rail. >> >>> Yes, ribbon cable. Peel off as many conductors as you need. The color >>> code repeats every ten conductors. >> >>> T1-3X-40pcs-20cm-Male-To-Male-Female-Dupont-Wire-Jumper-Cable-Arduino-Breadboard >>> >> >>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/231708399395 >> >> >> I'd rather use an IDC connector that matches the headers; less >> chance something gets loose/ is misconnected. > > > Really? Have you ever used the Dupont connectors? They are reliable, and > inexpensive. > > I've used thousands of them, along with IDC. Only a keyed header and a > keyed IDC connector will prevent misconnecting a cable. The color coded wire > that I mentioned makes it easy, since they follow the standard color code. > Start with black for pin one. Consider it the stripe on typical ribbon cable.
Shouldn't black be pin zero? -- Rick C Viewed the eclipse at Wintercrest Farms, on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply by Michael A Terrell October 28, 20172017-10-28
David Lesher wrote:
> Michael A Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> writes: > >>> I need some 10 position one-row headers but will likely use >>> two-row 20's and ignore the other. I do plan to plug them end >>> to end but will need to hold them. Thinking a slotted /______\ >>> piece of soft plastic that in turn is mounted to the DIN rail. > >> Yes, ribbon cable. Peel off as many conductors as you need. The color >> code repeats every ten conductors. > >> T1-3X-40pcs-20cm-Male-To-Male-Female-Dupont-Wire-Jumper-Cable-Arduino-Breadboard > >> https://www.ebay.com/itm/231708399395 > > > I'd rather use an IDC connector that matches the headers; less > chance something gets loose/ is misconnected.
Really? Have you ever used the Dupont connectors? They are reliable, and inexpensive. I've used thousands of them, along with IDC. Only a keyed header and a keyed IDC connector will prevent misconnecting a cable. The color coded wire that I mentioned makes it easy, since they follow the standard color code. Start with black for pin one. Consider it the stripe on typical ribbon cable.
Reply by rickman October 28, 20172017-10-28
David Lesher wrote on 10/28/2017 2:38 PM:
> rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> writes: > > >> The IDC connector is a solid block and fixed size. The "Dupont" cables can >> be used in any width or as individual wires. The connectors on the end >> aren't tied on with string. They work great. You can get them in either >> male or female on both ends and in any combination. Very flexible indeed. > > Yes, I see. But they are fixed length. With ribbon+IDC, I can make the cables > the correct length.
They are available in many lengths, mostly multiples of 5 cm. Works for me. -- Rick C Viewed the eclipse at Wintercrest Farms, on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply by David Lesher October 28, 20172017-10-28
rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> writes:


>The IDC connector is a solid block and fixed size. The "Dupont" cables can >be used in any width or as individual wires. The connectors on the end >aren't tied on with string. They work great. You can get them in either >male or female on both ends and in any combination. Very flexible indeed.
Yes, I see. But they are fixed length. With ribbon+IDC, I can make the cables the correct length. -- A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close.......................... Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433
Reply by rickman October 28, 20172017-10-28
David Lesher wrote on 10/28/2017 2:23 PM:
> Michael A Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> writes: > >>> I need some 10 position one-row headers but will likely use >>> two-row 20's and ignore the other. I do plan to plug them end >>> to end but will need to hold them. Thinking a slotted /______\ >>> piece of soft plastic that in turn is mounted to the DIN rail. > >> Yes, ribbon cable. Peel off as many conductors as you need. The color >> code repeats every ten conductors. > >> T1-3X-40pcs-20cm-Male-To-Male-Female-Dupont-Wire-Jumper-Cable-Arduino-Breadboard > >> https://www.ebay.com/itm/231708399395 > > > I'd rather use an IDC connector that matches the headers; less > chance something gets loose/ is misconnected.
The IDC connector is a solid block and fixed size. The "Dupont" cables can be used in any width or as individual wires. The connectors on the end aren't tied on with string. They work great. You can get them in either male or female on both ends and in any combination. Very flexible indeed. -- Rick C Viewed the eclipse at Wintercrest Farms, on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply by David Lesher October 28, 20172017-10-28
Michael A Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> writes:

>> I need some 10 position one-row headers but will likely use >> two-row 20's and ignore the other. I do plan to plug them end >> to end but will need to hold them. Thinking a slotted /______\ >> piece of soft plastic that in turn is mounted to the DIN rail.
>Yes, ribbon cable. Peel off as many conductors as you need. The color >code repeats every ten conductors.
>T1-3X-40pcs-20cm-Male-To-Male-Female-Dupont-Wire-Jumper-Cable-Arduino-Breadboard
>https://www.ebay.com/itm/231708399395
I'd rather use an IDC connector that matches the headers; less chance something gets loose/ is misconnected. -- A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close.......................... Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433
Reply by Michael A Terrell October 28, 20172017-10-28
David Lesher wrote:
> Michael A Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> writes: > > >> The split configuration would make it easier to repair, and the >> control boards can be plugged end to end. You can eliminate the jumpers >> on the headers with a drop of solder on the underside of the boards. > >> If a relay board or controller board fails, it will be much cheaper >> to repair. You can buy ready made 40 conductor cables with single Dupont >> contacts on Ebay to harness them together. I remove the single contact >> shells and replace them with a single, with the proper number of >> positions. That way, my projects look a lot neater than the typical wad >> of individual wires. > > 40? > > I need some 10 position one-row headers but will likely use > two-row 20's and ignore the other. I do plan to plug them end > to end but will need to hold them. Thinking a slotted /______\ > piece of soft plastic that in turn is mounted to the DIN rail.
Yes, ribbon cable. Peel off as many conductors as you need. The color code repeats every ten conductors. T1-3X-40pcs-20cm-Male-To-Male-Female-Dupont-Wire-Jumper-Cable-Arduino-Breadboard https://www.ebay.com/itm/231708399395
Reply by David Lesher October 28, 20172017-10-28
Michael A Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> writes:


> The split configuration would make it easier to repair, and the >control boards can be plugged end to end. You can eliminate the jumpers >on the headers with a drop of solder on the underside of the boards.
> If a relay board or controller board fails, it will be much cheaper >to repair. You can buy ready made 40 conductor cables with single Dupont >contacts on Ebay to harness them together. I remove the single contact >shells and replace them with a single, with the proper number of >positions. That way, my projects look a lot neater than the typical wad >of individual wires.
40? I need some 10 position one-row headers but will likely use two-row 20's and ignore the other. I do plan to plug them end to end but will need to hold them. Thinking a slotted /______\ piece of soft plastic that in turn is mounted to the DIN rail. -- A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close.......................... Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433
Reply by Michael A Terrell October 27, 20172017-10-27
David Lesher wrote:
> Michael A Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> writes: > > > >> OK, make your own. A schematic of that board is online. > > > Worst option. Avoiding manufacturing anything; just exponential time-sink. > Would prefer the integrated board but may end up with split approach.
The split configuration would make it easier to repair, and the control boards can be plugged end to end. You can eliminate the jumpers on the headers with a drop of solder on the underside of the boards. If a relay board or controller board fails, it will be much cheaper to repair. You can buy ready made 40 conductor cables with single Dupont contacts on Ebay to harness them together. I remove the single contact shells and replace them with a single, with the proper number of positions. That way, my projects look a lot neater than the typical wad of individual wires. I may use a pair of these boards in a custom, multiple iron soldering station that I'm building.