Reply by Jim Thompson March 21, 20172017-03-21
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 05:41:04 -0700 (PDT), pcdhobbs@gmail.com wrote:

>>LTC is selling about $1.5 billion a year. ADI is paying $14.8 billion >>to acquire them. Somebody is buying their stuff. > >>I was told that ADI will be moving their part models to LT Spice. That >>would be smart. > >It would also be a good idea to snag AD's current unencrypted models. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
Yep. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.
Reply by Kevin Aylward March 19, 20172017-03-19
"Clifford Heath"  wrote in message

On 18/03/17 21:41, Kevin Aylward wrote:
>> "Clifford Heath" wrote in message >> news:58cc6faf$0$43787$c3e8da3$5e5e430d@news.astraweb.com... > > On 17/03/17 19:23, Kevin Aylward wrote: >> If anyone wants the XSpice VC++ code, they can have that as well. > >> Do you mean the XSpice referred to here? > > Yes and No. SS does not use ngspice. ngspice is a derivative of the > Georgia Tech XSpice, which is a derivative of Spice3. Georgia Tech added > the digital mixed mode engine and "A code models". > > SS uses my port and modified XSpice code. > > <http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/xspice.html> >> If not, then what does your XSpice do? > >> My XSpice port has all the stuff I added to make it have the features >> that SS needs. For example, worst case and monte carlo support. > >> Details like allowing for direct access/plotting to BSim3 transient and >> dc terminal currents. The base code requires a manual insertion of 0V >> sources. > > >> I recently added > >> http://www.anasoft.co.uk/MOS1Model.htm > >> I got my base code around 1996 or so. I have made around 10,000 lines of >> changes and additions.
>It sounds like the ngspice guys would be happy if someone found the energy >to merge your improvements. I wish I had time for another project, but >that's always been the case :)
I did give one of their Administrators by code for my magnetic non-linear hysteresis model. Its the same basic implementation that is in LTSPice, although don't converge as good. I don't have any problems in ngspice implementing my MOS1 mods. I did that in part to put one over on Mike. It makes the MOS1 compatible with LTSpice's VDMOS model, but with some enhancements. It helps all by having a common implementation of a discrete mosfet. -- Kevin Aylward http://www.anasoft.co.uk - SuperSpice http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/index.html
Reply by Clifford Heath March 18, 20172017-03-18
On 18/03/17 21:41, Kevin Aylward wrote:
>> "Clifford Heath" wrote in message >> news:58cc6faf$0$43787$c3e8da3$5e5e430d@news.astraweb.com... > > On 17/03/17 19:23, Kevin Aylward wrote: >> If anyone wants the XSpice VC++ code, they can have that as well. > >> Do you mean the XSpice referred to here? > > Yes and No. SS does not use ngspice. ngspice is a derivative of the > Georgia Tech XSpice, which is a derivative of Spice3. Georgia Tech added > the digital mixed mode engine and "A code models". > > SS uses my port and modified XSpice code. > > <http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/xspice.html> >> If not, then what does your XSpice do? > > My XSpice port has all the stuff I added to make it have the features > that SS needs. For example, worst case and monte carlo support. > > Details like allowing for direct access/plotting to BSim3 transient and > dc terminal currents. The base code requires a manual insertion of 0V > sources. > > > I recently added > > http://www.anasoft.co.uk/MOS1Model.htm > > I got my base code around 1996 or so. I have made around 10,000 lines of > changes and additions.
It sounds like the ngspice guys would be happy if someone found the energy to merge your improvements. I wish I had time for another project, but that's always been the case :)
Reply by Kevin Aylward March 18, 20172017-03-18
>"Clifford Heath" wrote in message >news:58cc6faf$0$43787$c3e8da3$5e5e430d@news.astraweb.com...
On 17/03/17 19:23, Kevin Aylward wrote:
> If anyone wants the XSpice VC++ code, they can have that as well.
>Do you mean the XSpice referred to here?
Yes and No. SS does not use ngspice. ngspice is a derivative of the Georgia Tech XSpice, which is a derivative of Spice3. Georgia Tech added the digital mixed mode engine and "A code models". SS uses my port and modified XSpice code. <http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/xspice.html>
>If not, then what does your XSpice do?
My XSpice port has all the stuff I added to make it have the features that SS needs. For example, worst case and monte carlo support. Details like allowing for direct access/plotting to BSim3 transient and dc terminal currents. The base code requires a manual insertion of 0V sources. I recently added http://www.anasoft.co.uk/MOS1Model.htm I got my base code around 1996 or so. I have made around 10,000 lines of changes and additions. -- Kevin Aylward http://www.anasoft.co.uk - SuperSpice http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/index.html
Reply by Tim Williams March 18, 20172017-03-18
"Kevin Aylward" <kevinRemovAT@kevinaylward.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have yet to find a *really* good analog guy that hasn't started pissing > about at a young age. Its just the way it seems to be, imo.
I got a soldering iron when I was 8, does that count? :)
> I don't recall a really good Ballerina starting at age 20 either.... >
You have to start early to maintain a physique like that. Male or female, that's HARD work, AND fantastic flexibility! Gymnasts too, especially like, on the rings, free training like that. The way I heard it described (I long since forget what article read this in), you get all the force of lifting weights heavier than your body, say -- sheer pumping iron, bench press or what have you -- but it's done at such awkward angles that it simultaneously builds tremendous muscle strength, while retaining range of motion, flexibility. Tim -- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply by Clifford Heath March 17, 20172017-03-17
On 17/03/17 19:23, Kevin Aylward wrote:
> If anyone wants the XSpice VC++ code, they can have that as well.
Do you mean the XSpice referred to here? <http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/xspice.html> If not, then what does your XSpice do? Clifford Heath.
Reply by Kevin Aylward March 17, 20172017-03-17
"Terry Newton"  wrote in message news:oah50m$v4i$1@gioia.aioe.org...

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 21:19:45 +0000, Kevin Aylward wrote:

> All of this calibration, unlike your menial labour,
>That "menial" labor resulted in $millions of sales and it >wasn't menial at all
Well, maybe a a bit too harsh a word
>Usually the one doing the adjusting doesn't know much >about electronics
Well, usually that amounts to "mundane" work. One of the best jobs I ever had was mundane. It was during summer break from uni. Job was to put round metal disks onto a plate, and stamp a serial number on it. Bestobell Steam products. Quite relaxing.
Don't really see where was that conclusion was implied? -- Kevin Aylward http://www.anasoft.co.uk - SuperSpice http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/index.html
Reply by Kevin Aylward March 17, 20172017-03-17
>"Terry Newton" wrote in message news:oah80v$14sp$1@gioia.aioe.org...
>> Got my first electronics kit aged around 11. Built quite a lot of stuff >> from 14 to 18, whence I went to uni. > >> Just curious, when did you build your first crystal set with high >> impedance headphones...?
>Well... 9 or so I guess.. if you count a crystal earphone.. >wanted hi-z cans but for headphones had to use a transformer.
I have yet to find a *really* good analog guy that hasn't started pissing about at a young age. Its just the way it seems to be, imo. I don't recall a really good Ballerina starting at age 20 either.... -- Kevin Aylward http://www.anasoft.co.uk - SuperSpice http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/index.html
Reply by Terry Newton March 17, 20172017-03-17
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 18:10:05 +0000, Kevin Aylward wrote:

>>"Terry Newton" wrote in message news:oad93o$1rdn$1@gioia.aioe.org... > >>On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 20:32:57 +0000, Kevin Aylward wrote: >>> "Terry Newton" wrote in message news:oa9nki$da6$1@gioia.aioe.org... >>> >>>>uhh... what other switched capacitor active filter chip even has a >>>>spice model? >> >>> Don't know, I gave up board level design over 15 years ago :-) > >>And thus somewhat disconnected with what circuit designer types need. >>It's not like designing chips.. it's consuming whatever the chip makers >>give me, figuring out the flaws and limitations, balancing that with >>cost and other constraints (like time), and when I settle > > I really wouldn't assume too much about my design approach.
I don't assume anything other than what you write. Actually I like your approach - the TCXO writeup was interesting. There are many approaches and what works for one thing doesn't always translate to other things.
> None of "not > up on available SC spice models are available" really translates to > requirements for a lecture on board level design.
Not lecturing just an observation - available spice models can make a big difference in what parts I choose to use. Or not.. don't really care about opamp models, for those I go by specs and pick something with a common pinout so if the one I choose doesn't work I can use another.
> As I noted, over 15 years designed, medical imaging front ends, audio > power amps, pro audio mixing desks, telecom boards....
I've worked mostly as a service tech but have designed several tube and solid state guitar amps and related gear like pedals, intercom systems, mic preamps, testers for various things, main gig right now is ANR headsets and comm systems. Right now working on a DSP-like signal processor and it's driving me batty - 40 years of experience and now it comes down to soldering a stupid QFN32 without wrecking it.
> Got my first electronics kit aged around 11. Built quite a lot of stuff > from 14 to 18, whence I went to uni. > > Just curious, when did you build your first crystal set with high > impedance headphones...?
Well... 9 or so I guess.. if you count a crystal earphone.. wanted hi-z cans but for headphones had to use a transformer. Sometimes with crappy germanium transistors... ha self biasing... Terry
Reply by Terry Newton March 17, 20172017-03-17
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 21:19:45 +0000, Kevin Aylward wrote:

> All of this calibration, unlike your menial labour,
That "menial" labor resulted in $millions of sales and it wasn't menial at all - it can take weeks to find the best settings because it has to be tested under all conditions before committing a particular design to production. It is not simple and it cannot be automated.
> is automated in software.
What makes you think we don't automate with software? Before something can be calibrated there has to be something decent to calibrate. Terry