Reply by January 19, 20172017-01-19
On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 7:40:58 AM UTC-5, Winfield Hill wrote:
> dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com wrote... > > > > Curiously, my inductor doesn't get warm. > > I expected it would, but it doesn't. > > What's your output voltage and load current? > > > -- > Thanks, > - Win
50-600V, 4mA. It should be good for twice that current, but is intentionally limited right now, for fault tolerance. Cheers, James Arthur
Reply by Tim Williams January 19, 20172017-01-19
<dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> https://www.seventransistorlabs.com/Images/Deadbug_Sch.png > > Have you considered positive feedback to turn your switch transistor off > faster, rather than passively? That would save you some dissipation. > A small capacitor from the switch's collector to the base of your > current-sensor transistor would make the whole thing snap off.
Hmm. It's been *years* since I played with that circuit -- but that sounds plausible. Can't do too much, lest it interfere with the current-sinking behavior. (It would only be able to make a better VCCS, not a negative-resistance one. Or, erm, negative capacitance?) Tim -- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply by Winfield Hill January 19, 20172017-01-19
dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com wrote...
> > Curiously, my inductor doesn't get warm. > I expected it would, but it doesn't.
What's your output voltage and load current? -- Thanks, - Win
Reply by John Larkin January 19, 20172017-01-19
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 18:09:41 -0800 (PST), dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com
wrote:

>On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 12:42:37 PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote: >> On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 08:57:52 -0800 (PST), dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com >> wrote: >> >> >On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 9:26:46 PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote: >> > >> >> This worked without tricks, somehow: >> >> >> >> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Circuits/Power/HV/28S840A.pdf >> >> >> >> 1400 volts out at the top, with a 1:1 autotransformer. This may >> >> current-limit for a few cycles at startup, but it works its way up. >> > >> >Are those low-duty 350V spikes any problem for your inductor's >> >200Vac-rated insulation? I eliminated several magnetics options because >> >I was uncomfortable with their inter-winding insulation specs. >> >> Well, it seems to work. I once took a twisted pair of #30 magnet wire >> and applied voltage; it arced at about 1500 volts. >> >> I don't think I've ever observed voltage breakdown in an inductor. It >> would be interesting to test a DRQ127 to destruction. >> >> > >> >My supply takes feedback from the bleeder chain to regulate the HV output. >> >Being able to make regulated HV from +12v in a couple square inches is cool. >> >> Yeah, I seldom do HV, so it's always interesting. PCB surface creepage >> limits are confusing. >> >> Here's my board: >> >> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/PCBs/T840_E1.jpg >> >> >> The layout is uglified by the clearance complications. I did that >> layout myself, which doesn't help either. > >Looks decent to me. > >I fretted the clearances until I noted the creepage on a 1kV D-PAK >switching FET elsewhere--20V/mil. I think I'm under 8 volts/mil on >the board, worst-case. Then we're coating, which will cover all the >bare metal.
I noticed the same thing. High-voltage dpak fets have off-the-chart gradients between their leads. So does that IR gate driver.
> >> Note the heat sinking on T1! > >Neat. Curiously, my inductor doesn't get warm. I expected it would, but >it doesn't. > >Cheers, >James Arthur
-- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
Reply by January 18, 20172017-01-18
On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 5:58:29 PM UTC-5, Winfield Hill wrote:
> dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com wrote... > > > > A problem encountered with medium-to-fast current-mode > > flyback switchers, when combining high-ratio multi- > > winding flyback inductors with multipliers: [ snip ] > > OK, I've thought about it and I like your scheme. > And also, thanks for the awesome ASCII drawings. > We don't see them much anymore and they really > do facilitate understanding and discussion. > > > -- > Thanks, > - Win
I'm more and more pleased with the cancellation. One always wonders what new can of worms one opens with a new technique, but I haven't seen it yet on this one. I'm also an ASCII fan. It's an easy way to spread ideas and preserve them. Cheers, James Arthur
On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 7:02:29 PM UTC-5, Tim Williams wrote:
> Not wise -- you might as well go with a 555 at that point. > > Not hyperbole -- you're defeating the instantaneous peak current detection > the chip offers!
Not true. The chip already has to blank the FETs Cgs glitch, and has to ignore L1's parallel capacitance-charging surge. I've extended that facility to cover the multiplier, too. Peak current detection is not degraded, it's enhanced--now the SMPS can detect actual current much earlier, during times when the Vsense ramp was previously overwhelmed by the undesired signal. By adding one resistor I permit the SMPS to ignore a confounding signal and operate normally over a much wider dynamic range. (That's important in my application.) A (trivial) circuit senses actual output current and initiates a 'chirp' mode when the supply is overloaded. Icc drops from 100's of mA to 20mA in that condition, and dissipation is essentially nil.
> [...]
Have you considered positive feedback to turn your switch transistor off faster, rather than passively? That would save you some dissipation. A small capacitor from the switch's collector to the base of your current-sensor transistor would make the whole thing snap off.
> 3. Use a fully current-sourcing topology. Set up a constant current supply, > then drive a full wave converter (push-pull or full bridge). The supply > should be a buck converter (running at an even harmonic frequency, or a > non-harmonic frequency) for efficiency purposes. > > Example here: > https://www.seventransistorlabs.com/Images/HVPower1.png > Linear current source, so it's not made for efficiency. Also, the > oscillator doesn't work very well at low currents/voltages, and can't be > adjusted to zero because of gate bias (which flows into the drain circuit). > It's also resonant, though not very; the transformer ended up with a much > higher coupling factor than I was expecting, so it's really quite > transformery in nature, rather than acting as coupled inductors. Either way > will work, though. > > 4. Use more turns. Usually the least desirable option for circuits like > these, but at least you don't have to endure massive winding capacitance: by > dividing one high voltage winding into a stack of smaller DC supplies (each > with a manageable winding length and diode Vrrm rating), the equivalent > capacitance goes as O(N), not O(N^2). > > It can even go as O(1) with the right winding design -- namely, if the high > voltage windings are single layers each, so there's "DC" at one end and "AC" > at the other end, for each winding. This puts the same AC voltages on each > point of each winding, so there's zero AC voltage between windings -- their > capacitances don't stack at all! This is how CRTs achieved >100kHz > bandwidth at 30kV in their flyback transformers. (The bandwidth is given by > whatever harmonic of 15.75kHz is needed to finish retrace.) > > (FYI, multisync monitors used a separate FBT for HV power, so they didn't > need to drive stupendous sweep rates (>100kHz!) through the high voltage > circuit. They used an independent, dedicated deflection system.) > > Tim
Cheers, James Arthur
Reply by Tim Williams January 18, 20172017-01-18

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC

>A problem encountered with medium-to-fast current-mode flyback switchers, > when combining high-ratio multi-winding flyback inductors with > multipliers: > > When Q1 switches on, a large current surge flows as Cpump charges from > Cmult1 > via D2. At Q1, the surge magnitude is multiplied by the transformer ratio. > On simulation, U1 senses this via Rs and cuts Q1 off instantly, crippling > the > switcher -- it balks/stalls, and refuses to produce any output. > > Cpump > +12V .------||-------. DA2FJ8100L (x 3) > -+- 1 | D1 D2 | D3 > | .--+-->|---+-->|---+--->|----+----> +HV > o )||( PA0367A | | > L1 )||( --- Cmult1 --- Cout > n=1:12 )||( o --- --- > | | | | > U1 | === === === > LTC3803-3 ||--' > ------. ||<-. Q1 > Gate|->---'|--+ > | | | i1 > | | V > Sense|<-[Rslp]-+ > | | > ------' [Rs] > | > === > > > Several blanking schemes to clamp, filter, or otherwise ignore the > current spike were considered and rejected before settling on a > solution. > > Recognizing that i(Cmulti) is -i(Q1)/n, a cancellation scheme > removes the forward-mode i(Cpump) artifact from U1's worldview ... > > Cpump > +12V .------||-------. DA2FJ8100L (x 3) > -+- 1 | D1 D2 | D3 > | .--+-->|---+-->|---+--->|----+----> +HV > o )||( PA0367A | | > L1 )||( --- Cmult1 --- Cout > n=1:12 )||( o --- --- > | | | | > U1 | === | === > LTC3803-3 ||--' | > ------. ||<-. Q1 | > Gate|->-'|--+ | ^ > | | | i1 | | i2 = i1/n > | | V | > | +-----[R1]------+ R1 ~= n*Rs > | | | > | [Rs] | > | | | > | === | > | | > Sense|<--------[Rslp]--------' > | > ------' > > > After modification, U1.sense only sees L1's charging current (the > current storing energy for flyback operation); the forward-mode > Cpump-charging spike is eliminated. > > Probing with the oscilloscope confirms that cancellation works > essentially ideally in practice, a pleasant result. > > Cheers, > James Arthur
Reply by Winfield Hill January 18, 20172017-01-18
dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com wrote...
> > A problem encountered with medium-to-fast current-mode > flyback switchers, when combining high-ratio multi- > winding flyback inductors with multipliers: [ snip ]
OK, I've thought about it and I like your scheme. And also, thanks for the awesome ASCII drawings. We don't see them much anymore and they really do facilitate understanding and discussion. -- Thanks, - Win
Reply by John Larkin January 18, 20172017-01-18

Yeah, I seldom do HV, so it's always interesting. PCB surface creepage limits are confusing. Here's my board: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/PCBs/T840_E1.jpg The layout is uglified by the clearance complications. I did that layout myself, which doesn't help either. Note the heat sinking on T1! -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics