Reply by bitrex January 22, 20162016-01-22
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno <DLU1@DecadentLinuxUser.org> Wrote in
 message:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 06:52:11 -0500 (EST), bitrex > <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> Gave us: > >>That's the thing, the loop antenna and etc. inside doesn't seem to >> be damaged at all. So I'm not really sure why the lamination >> peeling open should cause it to stop working... > > Because it has precise tuning and the laminate is likely a series cap > that performs part of that tuning function. Doh! > > It is commonly called "antenna matching". It will most certainly now > have a different tuning point, and hence a different RFID specific ID. >
Half the stations on the Chargepoint network are in a state of disrepair anyway. The reason I was asking is that the station I wanted to use tonight has a failed network connection - it will activate if you use the RFID tag, but if you want to use your phone to talk to it over the Internet you're SOL. They probably don't make enough money off these spots to send out service crews. And they certainly aren't making jack off this spot's hourly rate when there isn't any network connection available for it to report back on usage... -- ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Reply by bitrex January 22, 20162016-01-22
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno <DLU1@DecadentLinuxUser.org> Wrote in
 message:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 06:52:11 -0500 (EST), bitrex > <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> Gave us: > >>That's the thing, the loop antenna and etc. inside doesn't seem to >> be damaged at all. So I'm not really sure why the lamination >> peeling open should cause it to stop working... > > Because it has precise tuning and the laminate is likely a series cap > that performs part of that tuning function. Doh! > > It is commonly called "antenna matching". It will most certainly now > have a different tuning point, and hence a different RFID specific ID. >
Next time I'm just going to keep it in a plastic flap in my wallet. You know, like a smart person or something... -- ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Reply by DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno January 22, 20162016-01-22

Ian Malcolm <See.My.Sig.for.email@totally.invalid> Wrote in message:
> bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote in news:n9doy.201052 > $9A4.107543@fx40.iad: > >> >> The Chargepoint cards used to activate the Chargepoint EV charging >> stations without a cellular connection use RFID tags - you just >> swipe them in front of the stand and the plug unlocks. >> >> It's one of those ideas seems cool in theory, except that the RFID >> tag keychain cards they provide are very filmsy, and if you leave >> them in your pocket for any length of time the lamination comes >> apart and they split down the middle. Then the RFID tag doesnt >> work anymore and you can't unlock the charger without using the >> mobile app, or calling up their hotline (if you have a dumb >> phone.) >> >> I've gone through two cards already, and it's happened again. Is >> there any way to get the tag inside the split card working again >> until some more of these junky things arrive in the >> mail? >> > > Dissect the worst damaged one and see for yourself. As long as the IC > die isn't cracked, its probably salvageable if you have the right tools > and are determined enough. > > -- > Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED) > ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk > [at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL >
That's the thing, the loop antenna and etc. inside doesn't seem to be damaged at all. So I'm not really sure why the lamination peeling open should cause it to stop working... -- ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Reply by Ian Malcolm January 22, 20162016-01-22
bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote in news:n9doy.201052
$9A4.107543@fx40.iad:

> > The Chargepoint cards used to activate the Chargepoint EV charging > stations without a cellular connection use RFID tags - you just > swipe them in front of the stand and the plug unlocks. > > It's one of those ideas seems cool in theory, except that the RFID > tag keychain cards they provide are very filmsy, and if you leave > them in your pocket for any length of time the lamination comes > apart and they split down the middle. Then the RFID tag doesnt > work anymore and you can't unlock the charger without using the > mobile app, or calling up their hotline (if you have a dumb > phone.) > > I've gone through two cards already, and it's happened again. Is > there any way to get the tag inside the split card working again > until some more of these junky things arrive in the > mail? >
Dissect the worst damaged one and see for yourself. As long as the IC die isn't cracked, its probably salvageable if you have the right tools and are determined enough. -- Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED) ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL
Reply by bitrex January 21, 20162016-01-21

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/