Reply by Robert Baer July 21, 20152015-07-21
John S wrote:
> On 7/19/2015 8:13 PM, Robert Baer wrote: >> Syd Rumpo wrote: >>> Hi >>> >>> Another magnetics question! >>> >>> I have a SMPS which uses a toroidal ferrite transformer. It switches at >>> ~100kHz, works very well, it's not my design and I can't change it. >>> >>> However, it introduces noise at about 50kHz onto/into my electronics >>> which causes a problem. After much experimentation, I found that putting >>> an earthed screen around the transformer kills the problem quite >>> dramatically. The screen must be earthed, and doesn't need to be >>> magnetic. >>> >>> This is something I can do. I don't have much room but I guess that >>> wrapping copper tape around its exposed enamelled wire will cause >>> problems for Edward Current. Is there a rule of thumb for what sort of >>> gap to leave between the windings and a screen? How quickly does the >>> field drop off? >>> >>> (And yes, I know not to make a shorted turn.) >>> >>> Cheers >> OK, i will bite: what is Edward Current? and where do i get a >> description? >> The quacker DuckDuckGo fails. >> > > He is using the formal name rather than the nickname (Eddie).
Thanks. Kissing cousin of Mister Justin Case..
Reply by John S July 20, 20152015-07-20
On 7/20/2015 1:20 AM, Tim Watts wrote:
> On 20/07/15 03:15, John S wrote: >> On 7/19/2015 9:14 PM, John S wrote: >>> On 7/19/2015 8:13 PM, Robert Baer wrote: >>>> Syd Rumpo wrote: > > >>>> OK, i will bite: what is Edward Current? and where do i get a >>>> description? >>>> The quacker DuckDuckGo fails. >>>> >>> >>> He is using the formal name rather than the nickname (Eddie). >> >> Oops! Should be Eddy. >> > > I thought it was rather clever!
Me, too. I wish I had thought of it. In fact, I did and from now own it's mine.
Reply by Syd Rumpo July 20, 20152015-07-20
On 17/07/2015 15:59, John S wrote:
> On 7/17/2015 6:30 AM, Syd Rumpo wrote: >> Hi >> >> Another magnetics question! >> >> I have a SMPS which uses a toroidal ferrite transformer. It switches at >> ~100kHz, works very well, it's not my design and I can't change it. >> >> However, it introduces noise at about 50kHz onto/into my electronics >> which causes a problem. After much experimentation, I found that >> putting an earthed screen around the transformer kills the problem quite >> dramatically. The screen must be earthed, and doesn't need to be >> magnetic. >> >> This is something I can do. I don't have much room but I guess that >> wrapping copper tape around its exposed enamelled wire will cause >> problems for Edward Current. Is there a rule of thumb for what sort of >> gap to leave between the windings and a screen? How quickly does the >> field drop off? >> >> (And yes, I know not to make a shorted turn.) >> >> Cheers > > The toroid will see your shield only if the mu is quite low. I don't > know how low it would need to be, but you seem to be doing some good > experimenting, so watch your results as you apply the shield at various > distances. > > Consider such things as copper-clad kapton tape, or, for test purposes, > you can get metalized tapes from the hobby stores.
Thanks for your input, I'll try the tape. Cheers -- Syd
On 20/07/2015 03:14, John S wrote:
> On 7/19/2015 8:13 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
<snip>
>> OK, i will bite: what is Edward Current? and where do i get a >> description? >> The quacker DuckDuckGo fails. >> > > He is using the formal name rather than the nickname (Eddie).
Well, I haven't met the guy, so it seems a bit forward to use his diminutive. Cheers -- Syd
Reply by Tim Watts July 20, 20152015-07-20
On 20/07/15 03:15, John S wrote:
> On 7/19/2015 9:14 PM, John S wrote: >> On 7/19/2015 8:13 PM, Robert Baer wrote: >>> Syd Rumpo wrote:
>>> OK, i will bite: what is Edward Current? and where do i get a >>> description? >>> The quacker DuckDuckGo fails. >>> >> >> He is using the formal name rather than the nickname (Eddie). > > Oops! Should be Eddy. >
I thought it was rather clever!
Reply by John S July 19, 20152015-07-19
On 7/19/2015 9:14 PM, John S wrote:
> On 7/19/2015 8:13 PM, Robert Baer wrote: >> Syd Rumpo wrote: >>> Hi >>> >>> Another magnetics question! >>> >>> I have a SMPS which uses a toroidal ferrite transformer. It switches at >>> ~100kHz, works very well, it's not my design and I can't change it. >>> >>> However, it introduces noise at about 50kHz onto/into my electronics >>> which causes a problem. After much experimentation, I found that putting >>> an earthed screen around the transformer kills the problem quite >>> dramatically. The screen must be earthed, and doesn't need to be >>> magnetic. >>> >>> This is something I can do. I don't have much room but I guess that >>> wrapping copper tape around its exposed enamelled wire will cause >>> problems for Edward Current. Is there a rule of thumb for what sort of >>> gap to leave between the windings and a screen? How quickly does the >>> field drop off? >>> >>> (And yes, I know not to make a shorted turn.) >>> >>> Cheers >> OK, i will bite: what is Edward Current? and where do i get a >> description? >> The quacker DuckDuckGo fails. >> > > He is using the formal name rather than the nickname (Eddie).
Oops! Should be Eddy.
Reply by John S July 19, 20152015-07-19
On 7/19/2015 8:13 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
> Syd Rumpo wrote: >> Hi >> >> Another magnetics question! >> >> I have a SMPS which uses a toroidal ferrite transformer. It switches at >> ~100kHz, works very well, it's not my design and I can't change it. >> >> However, it introduces noise at about 50kHz onto/into my electronics >> which causes a problem. After much experimentation, I found that putting >> an earthed screen around the transformer kills the problem quite >> dramatically. The screen must be earthed, and doesn't need to be >> magnetic. >> >> This is something I can do. I don't have much room but I guess that >> wrapping copper tape around its exposed enamelled wire will cause >> problems for Edward Current. Is there a rule of thumb for what sort of >> gap to leave between the windings and a screen? How quickly does the >> field drop off? >> >> (And yes, I know not to make a shorted turn.) >> >> Cheers > OK, i will bite: what is Edward Current? and where do i get a > description? > The quacker DuckDuckGo fails. >
He is using the formal name rather than the nickname (Eddie).
Reply by Robert Baer July 19, 20152015-07-19
Syd Rumpo wrote:
> Hi > > Another magnetics question! > > I have a SMPS which uses a toroidal ferrite transformer. It switches at > ~100kHz, works very well, it's not my design and I can't change it. > > However, it introduces noise at about 50kHz onto/into my electronics > which causes a problem. After much experimentation, I found that putting > an earthed screen around the transformer kills the problem quite > dramatically. The screen must be earthed, and doesn't need to be magnetic. > > This is something I can do. I don't have much room but I guess that > wrapping copper tape around its exposed enamelled wire will cause > problems for Edward Current. Is there a rule of thumb for what sort of > gap to leave between the windings and a screen? How quickly does the > field drop off? > > (And yes, I know not to make a shorted turn.) > > Cheers
OK, i will bite: what is Edward Current? and where do i get a description? The quacker DuckDuckGo fails.
Reply by DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno July 17, 20152015-07-17
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 09:59:24 -0500, John S <Sophi.2@invalid.org> Gave
us:

>Consider such things as copper-clad kapton tape, or, for test purposes, >you can get metalized tapes from the hobby stores.
Home depot Copper roof flashing by the roll. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sandell-Flash-Guard-8-in-x-20-ft-Copper-Step-Flashing-FG030820/202090786 or amazon makes these, which are quite a bit cheaper than a 20' roll. www.amazon.com/Sheet-Metal-Caps-Copper-Flashing/dp/B00D0U4GH0 Or better still a variety pack from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copper-Strip-50mmx0-6mm-PER-METRE-C101-Roofing-Flashing-Moss-Valley-/141631726911?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f9e8a53f
Reply by John S July 17, 20152015-07-17