Reply by George Herold February 2, 20152015-02-02
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 3:20:20 PM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 2/2/2015 10:33 AM, Tim Williams wrote: > > "Phil Hobbs" <pcdhobbs@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:c57edc71-7cf5-43a3-ab5d-d1b203cffe82@googlegroups.com... > >> That's not what the Pauli principle states, and it only applies to > >> fermions anyway. > >> > >> Splitting of coupled quantum oscillators is what gives rise to the > >> band structure of solids. Photons and other bosons don't behave the > >> same way. (That's why there are lasers, among other things.) > >> > > > > Well, obviously it's a gross simplification. But I don't think > > unreasonable. > > > > If you look at the characteristics of the phenomena, quanta are well > > defined, give or take externalities: the line width of an atomic > > transition is for all intents and purposes infinitessimal, minus > > splitting (fine structure, fields, etc.), doppler and such (properties > > of a gas, etc.). Whereas the classical peak is fully described by a > > continuous function of amplitude, with the "line" width determined by Q. > > > > Likewise, where you have systems containing fermions, coming together, > > you get exclusion, and you get splitting of energy levels. Two isolated > > hydrogen atoms have identical spectra, but two hydrogen atoms in > > relative proximity experience a splitting and shift. The effect is not > > un-analogous, at least on a grossly descriptive level. When things like > > this happen, there's often some underlying theoretical truth to it, that > > it doesn't happen for mere coincidence. > > The Pauli principle has nothing to do with splitting, it has to do with > wave function symmetry. > > With indistinguishable particles, the wave function has to be symmetric > or antisymmetric, under the operation of interchanging particle A and > particle B. > > The reason for this is that it has to be invariant under the operation > of swapping them and then swapping them back. > > If the particles are indistinguishable, though, swapping one way is > indistinguishable from swapping back. That means that the eigenvalue > of the transformation has to be +- 1. (It can't have a magnitude other > than unity, because the normalization sets the number of particles.)
Fun, thanks. I'd never heard the double swap gets you back to where you started, argument before. (though kinda obvious in retrospect.) So there can be two, and only two, types of indistinguishable particles. George H.
> > Bosons are particles for which the eigenvalue is +1, and fermions are > those for which the eigenvalue is -1. > > With two or more bosons in a single state, interchanging them doesn't > change anything, so it's the more, the merrier. > > With two fermions in a single state, interchanging them has to make the > wave function invariant under a multiplication by -1. That is, its > magnitude has to be 0--which means there's no such state. > > _That's_ the Pauli principle. > > > > > No, photons and phonons and such don't behave the same way, but their > > interactions -- mediated by electronic transitions -- often are. So, > > we're talking about the fermionic structure that's probed by bosons, not > > the statistics of bosons themselves. Which would be boring -- like > > talking about only superposition in linear classical systems. :) > > Cheers > > Phil Hobbs > > -- > Dr Philip C D Hobbs > Principal Consultant > ElectroOptical Innovations LLC > Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics > > 160 North State Road #203 > Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 > > hobbs at electrooptical dot net > http://electrooptical.net
Reply by Phil Hobbs February 2, 20152015-02-02
On 2/2/2015 10:33 AM, Tim Williams wrote:
> "Phil Hobbs" <pcdhobbs@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:c57edc71-7cf5-43a3-ab5d-d1b203cffe82@googlegroups.com... >> That's not what the Pauli principle states, and it only applies to >> fermions anyway. >> >> Splitting of coupled quantum oscillators is what gives rise to the >> band structure of solids. Photons and other bosons don't behave the >> same way. (That's why there are lasers, among other things.) >> > > Well, obviously it's a gross simplification. But I don't think > unreasonable. > > If you look at the characteristics of the phenomena, quanta are well > defined, give or take externalities: the line width of an atomic > transition is for all intents and purposes infinitessimal, minus > splitting (fine structure, fields, etc.), doppler and such (properties > of a gas, etc.). Whereas the classical peak is fully described by a > continuous function of amplitude, with the "line" width determined by Q. > > Likewise, where you have systems containing fermions, coming together, > you get exclusion, and you get splitting of energy levels. Two isolated > hydrogen atoms have identical spectra, but two hydrogen atoms in > relative proximity experience a splitting and shift. The effect is not > un-analogous, at least on a grossly descriptive level. When things like > this happen, there's often some underlying theoretical truth to it, that > it doesn't happen for mere coincidence.
The Pauli principle has nothing to do with splitting, it has to do with wave function symmetry. With indistinguishable particles, the wave function has to be symmetric or antisymmetric, under the operation of interchanging particle A and particle B. The reason for this is that it has to be invariant under the operation of swapping them and then swapping them back. If the particles are indistinguishable, though, swapping one way is indistinguishable from swapping back. That means that the eigenvalue of the transformation has to be +- 1. (It can't have a magnitude other than unity, because the normalization sets the number of particles.) Bosons are particles for which the eigenvalue is +1, and fermions are those for which the eigenvalue is -1. With two or more bosons in a single state, interchanging them doesn't change anything, so it's the more, the merrier. With two fermions in a single state, interchanging them has to make the wave function invariant under a multiplication by -1. That is, its magnitude has to be 0--which means there's no such state. _That's_ the Pauli principle.
> > No, photons and phonons and such don't behave the same way, but their > interactions -- mediated by electronic transitions -- often are. So, > we're talking about the fermionic structure that's probed by bosons, not > the statistics of bosons themselves. Which would be boring -- like > talking about only superposition in linear classical systems. :)
Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
Reply by Tim Williams February 2, 20152015-02-02
"George Herold" <gherold@teachspin.com> wrote in message
>Hi Tim, Just a fine point of correction.
Atomic transitions have a finite width that is set by the lifetime of the excited state. For a typical ~10 ns lifetime, it's about a 10 MHz width... (there's a factor of 2 * pi in there.) You can actually see this width with diode lasers.. and some tricks. (search for saturated absorption spectroscopy.)

Ah yes, I should've remembered this. Uncertainty and all. Better phrasing; for being atomic transitions, they can be surprisingly sharp, much sharper than you'd expect for a frequency in the 600THz range! Tim -- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 10:33:18 AM UTC-5, Tim Williams wrote:
> "Phil Hobbs" <pcdhobbs@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:c57edc71-7cf5-43a3-ab5d-d1b203cffe82@googlegroups.com... > > That's not what the Pauli principle states, and it only applies to > > fermions anyway. > > > > Splitting of coupled quantum oscillators is what gives rise to the band > > structure of solids. Photons and other bosons don't behave the same way. > > (That's why there are lasers, among other things.) > > > > Well, obviously it's a gross simplification. But I don't think > unreasonable. > > If you look at the characteristics of the phenomena, quanta are well > defined, give or take externalities: the line width of an atomic transition > is for all intents and purposes infinitessimal, minus splitting (fine > structure, fields, etc.), doppler and such (properties of a gas, etc.). > Whereas the classical peak is fully described by a continuous function of > amplitude, with the "line" width determined by Q.
Hi Tim, Just a fine point of correction. Atomic transitions have a finite width that is set by the lifetime of the excited state. For a typical ~10 ns lifetime, it's about a 10 MHz width... (there's a factor of 2 * pi in there.) You can actually see this width with diode lasers.. and some tricks. (search for saturated absorption spectroscopy.) George H.
> > Likewise, where you have systems containing fermions, coming together, you > get exclusion, and you get splitting of energy levels. Two isolated > hydrogen atoms have identical spectra, but two hydrogen atoms in relative > proximity experience a splitting and shift. The effect is not un-analogous, > at least on a grossly descriptive level. When things like this happen, > there's often some underlying theoretical truth to it, that it doesn't > happen for mere coincidence. > > No, photons and phonons and such don't behave the same way, but their > interactions -- mediated by electronic transitions -- often are. So, we're > talking about the fermionic structure that's probed by bosons, not the > statistics of bosons themselves. Which would be boring -- like talking > about only superposition in linear classical systems. :) > > Tim > > -- > Seven Transistor Labs > Electrical Engineering Consultation > Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply by Tim Williams February 2, 20152015-02-02
"Phil Hobbs" <pcdhobbs@gmail.com> wrote in message
> That's not what the Pauli principle states, and it only applies to > fermions anyway. > > Splitting of coupled quantum oscillators is what gives rise to the band > structure of solids. Photons and other bosons don't behave the same way. > (That's why there are lasers, among other things.) >
Well, obviously it's a gross simplification. But I don't think unreasonable. If you look at the characteristics of the phenomena, quanta are well defined, give or take externalities: the line width of an atomic transition is for all intents and purposes infinitessimal, minus splitting (fine structure, fields, etc.), doppler and such (properties of a gas, etc.). Whereas the classical peak is fully described by a continuous function of amplitude, with the "line" width determined by Q. Likewise, where you have systems containing fermions, coming together, you get exclusion, and you get splitting of energy levels. Two isolated hydrogen atoms have identical spectra, but two hydrogen atoms in relative proximity experience a splitting and shift. The effect is not un-analogous, at least on a grossly descriptive level. When things like this happen, there's often some underlying theoretical truth to it, that it doesn't happen for mere coincidence. No, photons and phonons and such don't behave the same way, but their interactions -- mediated by electronic transitions -- often are. So, we're talking about the fermionic structure that's probed by bosons, not the statistics of bosons themselves. Which would be boring -- like talking about only superposition in linear classical systems. :) Tim -- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 3:05:25 AM UTC-5, Bill Beaty wrote:
> In classical physics, search "line splitting" of coupled oscillators. It's the chassical version of QM's Pauli Exclusion principle, where two oscillators aren't allowed to be in the same state (have the same freq.) Note that as oscillations "slosh" between the resonators, the sloshing period is the same as the separation between peaks in the frequency domain.
I would just call them (the oscillations) the normal modes of the system. If you can excite the system in one of it's normal modes, then it will stay in that mode and not have the energy sloshing back and forth. George H.
> > Make a big square array of resonators, and you've got a 2D crystal, and so much line-splitting that we end up with an "energy band" which is actually a large number of closely-spaced peaks. Hmmm, if we could plot the absolute value amplitude of every oscillator as a raster, then slam single elements (or groups) with transient spikes, what's that look like? For low coupling, it's thermal vibrations in solids. With high coupling it's just a patch of 2D waveguide with 2D waves bouncing around inside. Make a low-coupling "wave tank" where the "liquid' only passes slowly-moving oscillations along, rather than propagating waves.
Reply by Ralph Barone February 1, 20152015-02-01
John Larkin <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 00:05:20 -0800 (PST), Bill Beaty <billb@eskimo.com> > wrote: > >> In classical physics, search "line splitting" of coupled oscillators. >> It's the chassical version of QM's Pauli Exclusion principle, where two >> oscillators aren't allowed to be in the same state (have the same freq.) >> Note that as oscillations "slosh" between the resonators, the sloshing >> period is the same as the separation between peaks in the frequency domain. >> >> Make a big square array of resonators, and you've got a 2D crystal, and >> so much line-splitting that we end up with an "energy band" which is >> actually a large number of closely-spaced peaks. Hmmm, if we could >> plot the absolute value amplitude of every oscillator as a raster, then >> slam single elements (or groups) with transient spikes, what's that look >> like? For low coupling, it's thermal vibrations in solids. With high >> coupling it's just a patch of 2D waveguide with 2D waves bouncing around >> inside. Make a low-coupling "wave tank" where the "liquid' only passes >> slowly-moving oscillations along, rather than propagating waves. > > OK, here are three resonators in-line. > > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Circuits/Oscillators/Coupled_Resonators_Three.jpg > > The waveforms are sort of beautiful, and vary radically as the > coupling caps are changed, especially if C3<>C6. > > > > >
I've got some very similar waveforms at work from a 230 kV, 3 phase cable circuit which had a 45 MVAR shunt reactor hanging off it when the line was tripped. All three phases resonated at nearly equal frequencies and you had energy transfer via the inter-phase capacitance and mutual inductance of the overhead portion of the line.
Reply by John Larkin February 1, 20152015-02-01
wrote:

>In classical physics, search "line splitting" of coupled oscillators. It's the chassical version of QM's Pauli Exclusion principle, where two oscillators aren't allowed to be in the same state (have the same freq.) Note that as oscillations "slosh" between the resonators, the sloshing period is the same as the separation between peaks in the frequency domain. > >Make a big square array of resonators, and you've got a 2D crystal, and so much line-splitting that we end up with an "energy band" which is actually a large number of closely-spaced peaks. Hmmm, if we could plot the absolute value amplitude of every oscillator as a raster, then slam single elements (or groups) with transient spikes, what's that look like? For low coupling, it's thermal vibrations in solids. With high coupling it's just a patch of 2D waveguide with 2D waves bouncing around inside. Make a low-coupling "wave tank" where the "liquid' only passes slowly-moving oscillations along, rather than propagating waves.
OK, here are three resonators in-line. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Circuits/Oscillators/Coupled_Resonators_Three.jpg The waveforms are sort of beautiful, and vary radically as the coupling caps are changed, especially if C3<>C6. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
Reply by Phil Hobbs February 1, 20152015-02-01
That's not what the Pauli principle states, and it only applies to fermions anyway.

Splitting of coupled quantum oscillators is what gives rise to the band structure of solids. Photons and other bosons don't behave the same way. (That's why there are lasers, among other things.)

Besides IF transformers, two coupled classical modes make directional couplers possible. The math is simple and quite pretty.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
Reply by February 1, 20152015-02-01
Wow,