Reply by Klaus Kragelund June 14, 20132013-06-14
On Friday, June 14, 2013 10:13:11 PM UTC+2, Joerg wrote:
> Klaus Kragelund wrote: >=20 > > On Friday, June 14, 2013 9:07:41 PM UTC+2, Joerg wrote: >=20 > >> Jim Thompson wrote: >=20 > >> >=20 > >>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:44:32 -0700 (PDT), Klaus Kragelund >=20 > >>> <klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote: >=20 > >>>> On Friday, June 14, 2013 1:22:15 AM UTC+2, John Larkin wrote: >=20 > >>> [snip] >=20 > >>>>> Too bad there's no integration operator available in the equations. >=20 > >>>>> [1] except that it initializes to -250 megavolts. Putting a 1 ohm >=20 > >>>>> resistor across the cap fixes that. >=20 > >>>> I'm normally using Cadence PSpice. In probe you just write s(var) to=
integrate. d(var) to differentiate. I suggest you read the manual from sta= rt to end, that will save you a lot of time in the future.
>=20 > >>>> If you need the total power, write this in the Measurement Results; =
YatlastX(s(w(var)))/Max(Time)
>=20 > >>>> Regards >=20 > >>>> Klaus >=20 > >>> I'm using PSpice as well. LTspice lacks some of the post-processing >=20 > >>> bells and whistles that you and I are accustomed to using. >=20 > >> >=20 > >> >=20 > >> But it doesn't have the crashes ... >=20 > >> >=20 > >> >=20 > >> >=20 > >> [...] >=20 > >> >=20 > >> >=20 > >=20 >=20 > > I haven't had a crash in Spice for at least a year now. In the new vers=
ion they even have undo eventhough a simulation was run
>=20 > >=20 >=20 > > The sky is the limit ;-) >=20 > >=20 >=20 >=20 >=20 > Not even the COM wrapper error? Maybe they finally figured it out :-) >=20 >=20
Not even that. I had it one time, but that was because the IT department moved the license= to another server. They swore that the wrapper error had nothing to do wit= h that. I lived with the error some weeks and suddenly it was gone. Talked = to the IT department and it turned out they had booted the server during th= e weekend, and now the server behaved nicely. And you've guessed it, the se= rver was running windows ;-) Cheers Klaus
Reply by Joerg June 14, 20132013-06-14
Klaus Kragelund wrote:
> On Friday, June 14, 2013 9:07:41 PM UTC+2, Joerg wrote: >> Jim Thompson wrote: >> >>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:44:32 -0700 (PDT), Klaus Kragelund >>> <klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote: >>>> On Friday, June 14, 2013 1:22:15 AM UTC+2, John Larkin wrote: >>> [snip] >>>>> Too bad there's no integration operator available in the equations. >>>>> [1] except that it initializes to -250 megavolts. Putting a 1 ohm >>>>> resistor across the cap fixes that. >>>> I'm normally using Cadence PSpice. In probe you just write s(var) to integrate. d(var) to differentiate. I suggest you read the manual from start to end, that will save you a lot of time in the future. >>>> If you need the total power, write this in the Measurement Results; YatlastX(s(w(var)))/Max(Time) >>>> Regards >>>> Klaus >>> I'm using PSpice as well. LTspice lacks some of the post-processing >>> bells and whistles that you and I are accustomed to using. >> >> >> But it doesn't have the crashes ... >> >> >> >> [...] >> >> > > I haven't had a crash in Spice for at least a year now. In the new version they even have undo eventhough a simulation was run > > The sky is the limit ;-) >
Not even the COM wrapper error? Maybe they finally figured it out :-) But I became so used to LTSpice that I think I'll stick with that. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply by Klaus Kragelund June 14, 20132013-06-14
On Friday, June 14, 2013 9:29:08 PM UTC+2, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:25:56 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> > > wrote: > > > > >Jim Thompson wrote: > > >> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:07:41 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> > > >> wrote: > > >> > > >>> Jim Thompson wrote: > > >>>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:44:32 -0700 (PDT), Klaus Kragelund > > >>>> <klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote: > > >>>> > > >>>>> On Friday, June 14, 2013 1:22:15 AM UTC+2, John Larkin wrote: > > >>>> [snip] > > >>>>>> Too bad there's no integration operator available in the equations. > > >>>>>> > > >>>>>> > > >>>>>> > > >>>>>> [1] except that it initializes to -250 megavolts. Putting a 1 ohm > > >>>>>> > > >>>>>> resistor across the cap fixes that. > > >>>>>> > > >>>>> I'm normally using Cadence PSpice. In probe you just write s(var) to integrate. d(var) to differentiate. I suggest you read the manual from start to end, that will save you a lot of time in the future. > > >>>>> > > >>>>> If you need the total power, write this in the Measurement Results; YatlastX(s(w(var)))/Max(Time) > > >>>>> > > >>>>> Regards > > >>>>> > > >>>>> Klaus > > >>>> I'm using PSpice as well. LTspice lacks some of the post-processing > > >>>> bells and whistles that you and I are accustomed to using. > > >>>> > > >>> But it doesn't have the crashes ... > > >>> > > >>> [...] > > >> > > >> PSpice, and other excellent softwares, only crash for you >:-} > > >> > > > > > >Oh no. I remember lots of others, including some here in the NG. At one > > >point when it got really bad I had the support guys on the phone and > > >allowed them desktop access via web. Showed them the crashes, more and > > >more folks came in on their side. They checked lots of settings, all ok, > > >then commended me on how clean my PC was. I guess they must see a lot of > > >messy ones. Then someone in the background exclaimed "I can't believe > > >this is happening!". > > > > > >To avoid any misunderstandings, the support was excellent. The quality > > >of the software was IMHO not. > > > > > >You probably have an older version with less problems. With software > > >it's usually like with red wine, older = better. > > > > > > > > >> The ONLY thing I ever have problems with is Firefox and its plug-in > > >> container, though the latest release seems to have fixed that. > > >> > > > > > >Yep, that plug-in container is a really buggy piece of software. Yet > > >still, for me it crashes with a runtime error maybe 4-5 times a year. > > >That is absolutely nothing compared to Orcad/PSpice and Acrobat Reader. > > >Both of which I ditched -> problem solved. > > > > > >Skype must have been fixed, that no longer crashes since the last > > >update. It leaves the occasional turd on the bottom task bar but one can > > >live with that. It's IMHO not nearly as good as GoToMeeting though, so > > >that's what gets used mostly here. > > > > I have v15.7, which is just a few versions back. The crash difference > > is that you, and other crashees, are using OrCAD Crapture, but I am > > still using original crispy flavor PSpice Schematics, which is rock > > solid. > >
I have 16.6. Runs solid Cheers Klaus
Reply by Joerg June 14, 20132013-06-14
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:36:43 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> > wrote: > >> Jim Thompson wrote: >>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:25:56 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> Jim Thompson wrote: >> [...] >> >>>>> The ONLY thing I ever have problems with is Firefox and its plug-in >>>>> container, though the latest release seems to have fixed that. >>>>> >>>> Yep, that plug-in container is a really buggy piece of software. Yet >>>> still, for me it crashes with a runtime error maybe 4-5 times a year. >>>> That is absolutely nothing compared to Orcad/PSpice and Acrobat Reader. >>>> Both of which I ditched -> problem solved. >>>> >>>> Skype must have been fixed, that no longer crashes since the last >>>> update. It leaves the occasional turd on the bottom task bar but one can >>>> live with that. It's IMHO not nearly as good as GoToMeeting though, so >>>> that's what gets used mostly here. >>> I have v15.7, which is just a few versions back. The crash difference >>> is that you, and other crashees, are using OrCAD Crapture, but I am >>> still using original crispy flavor PSpice Schematics, which is rock >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ >>> solid. >>> >> That is what I meant with older. Nowadays a network simulator requires a >> schematic capture front-end. I determine my impression from the quality >> of the _available_ product in its entirety. To me there is no excuse >> such as "Oh, but ... but ... it's just the engine controller that always >> has issues". > > "Older" has nothing to do with it, ...
Sure it does.
> ... except for the very latest version > where they scuttled any use of PSpice Schematics. At every "update" I > insisted on PSpice Schematics as the GUI. So did many others. When > they finally refused, we all refused to update and pay the fees.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ -> No more updating -> older. See? I do the same with my web hosting service. They constantly keep pitching "new and improved this, that and the other thing". Recently they pulled a real sneaky one. "Your account will be updated with gizmo control, widget automation and system wombombolation". Then, at the very end, "All this will be provided at the low cost of <insert higher price than before here>". So I wrote them to shove it.
> You're probably working with wusses where the management ordered the > use of Crapture >:-} >
http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-05-17/ -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply by Klaus Kragelund June 14, 20132013-06-14
On Friday, June 14, 2013 9:07:41 PM UTC+2, Joerg wrote:
> Jim Thompson wrote: > > > On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:44:32 -0700 (PDT), Klaus Kragelund > > > <klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > > > >> On Friday, June 14, 2013 1:22:15 AM UTC+2, John Larkin wrote: > > > [snip] > > >>> Too bad there's no integration operator available in the equations. > > >>> > > >>> > > >>> > > >>> [1] except that it initializes to -250 megavolts. Putting a 1 ohm > > >>> > > >>> resistor across the cap fixes that. > > >>> > > >> I'm normally using Cadence PSpice. In probe you just write s(var) to integrate. d(var) to differentiate. I suggest you read the manual from start to end, that will save you a lot of time in the future. > > >> > > >> If you need the total power, write this in the Measurement Results; YatlastX(s(w(var)))/Max(Time) > > >> > > >> Regards > > >> > > >> Klaus > > > > > > I'm using PSpice as well. LTspice lacks some of the post-processing > > > bells and whistles that you and I are accustomed to using. > > > > > > > But it doesn't have the crashes ... > > > > [...] > >
I haven't had a crash in Spice for at least a year now. In the new version they even have undo eventhough a simulation was run The sky is the limit ;-) Cheers Klaus
Reply by Jim Thompson June 14, 20132013-06-14
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:55:11 -0700, Fred Abse
<excretatauris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 20:34:23 -0700, miso wrote: > >> I don't know if it matters in your analysis, but spice doesn't conserve >> charge. > >What gave you that idea? > > >Try this. A 1 farad capacitor, in series with 1 ohm (external, not LT's >parasitic, turn all those off, charged by a one second 1 volt pulse, and >allowed to discharge when the voltage source goes to zero. Give it enough >time to fully discharge, 20 seconds is about right. > >Integrate the current in the capacitor, you'll find it integrates to zero. > >That's conservation of charge. > >I just did it, with LTspice. With a 10 microsecond max timestep, the >discrepancy is a few femtocoulombs. > >Spice wouldn't be much use if it didn't conserve both charge and energy. > >What might make people think otherwise is LTspice's annoying habit of >supplying parasitic properties by default. Berkeley doesn't do that.
What would miso know ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Reply by Fred Abse June 14, 20132013-06-14
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 20:34:23 -0700, miso wrote:

> I don't know if it matters in your analysis, but spice doesn't conserve > charge.
What gave you that idea? Try this. A 1 farad capacitor, in series with 1 ohm (external, not LT's parasitic, turn all those off, charged by a one second 1 volt pulse, and allowed to discharge when the voltage source goes to zero. Give it enough time to fully discharge, 20 seconds is about right. Integrate the current in the capacitor, you'll find it integrates to zero. That's conservation of charge. I just did it, with LTspice. With a 10 microsecond max timestep, the discrepancy is a few femtocoulombs. Spice wouldn't be much use if it didn't conserve both charge and energy. What might make people think otherwise is LTspice's annoying habit of supplying parasitic properties by default. Berkeley doesn't do that. -- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Reply by Jim Thompson June 14, 20132013-06-14
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:36:43 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote: >> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:25:56 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> >> wrote: >> >>> Jim Thompson wrote: > >[...] > >>> >>>> The ONLY thing I ever have problems with is Firefox and its plug-in >>>> container, though the latest release seems to have fixed that. >>>> >>> Yep, that plug-in container is a really buggy piece of software. Yet >>> still, for me it crashes with a runtime error maybe 4-5 times a year. >>> That is absolutely nothing compared to Orcad/PSpice and Acrobat Reader. >>> Both of which I ditched -> problem solved. >>> >>> Skype must have been fixed, that no longer crashes since the last >>> update. It leaves the occasional turd on the bottom task bar but one can >>> live with that. It's IMHO not nearly as good as GoToMeeting though, so >>> that's what gets used mostly here. >> >> I have v15.7, which is just a few versions back. The crash difference >> is that you, and other crashees, are using OrCAD Crapture, but I am >> still using original crispy flavor PSpice Schematics, which is rock > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ >> solid. >> > >That is what I meant with older. Nowadays a network simulator requires a >schematic capture front-end. I determine my impression from the quality >of the _available_ product in its entirety. To me there is no excuse >such as "Oh, but ... but ... it's just the engine controller that always >has issues".
"Older" has nothing to do with it, except for the very latest version where they scuttled any use of PSpice Schematics. At every "update" I insisted on PSpice Schematics as the GUI. So did many others. When they finally refused, we all refused to update and pay the fees. You're probably working with wusses where the management ordered the use of Crapture >:-} ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Reply by Joerg June 14, 20132013-06-14
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:25:56 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> > wrote: > >> Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]
>> >>> The ONLY thing I ever have problems with is Firefox and its plug-in >>> container, though the latest release seems to have fixed that. >>> >> Yep, that plug-in container is a really buggy piece of software. Yet >> still, for me it crashes with a runtime error maybe 4-5 times a year. >> That is absolutely nothing compared to Orcad/PSpice and Acrobat Reader. >> Both of which I ditched -> problem solved. >> >> Skype must have been fixed, that no longer crashes since the last >> update. It leaves the occasional turd on the bottom task bar but one can >> live with that. It's IMHO not nearly as good as GoToMeeting though, so >> that's what gets used mostly here. > > I have v15.7, which is just a few versions back. The crash difference > is that you, and other crashees, are using OrCAD Crapture, but I am > still using original crispy flavor PSpice Schematics, which is rock
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> solid. >
That is what I meant with older. Nowadays a network simulator requires a schematic capture front-end. I determine my impression from the quality of the _available_ product in its entirety. To me there is no excuse such as "Oh, but ... but ... it's just the engine controller that always has issues". -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply by Jim Thompson June 14, 20132013-06-14
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:25:56 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote: >> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:07:41 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> >> wrote: >> >>> Jim Thompson wrote: >>>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:44:32 -0700 (PDT), Klaus Kragelund >>>> <klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>> On Friday, June 14, 2013 1:22:15 AM UTC+2, John Larkin wrote: >>>> [snip] >>>>>> Too bad there's no integration operator available in the equations. >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> [1] except that it initializes to -250 megavolts. Putting a 1 ohm >>>>>> >>>>>> resistor across the cap fixes that. >>>>>> >>>>> I'm normally using Cadence PSpice. In probe you just write s(var) to integrate. d(var) to differentiate. I suggest you read the manual from start to end, that will save you a lot of time in the future. >>>>> >>>>> If you need the total power, write this in the Measurement Results; YatlastX(s(w(var)))/Max(Time) >>>>> >>>>> Regards >>>>> >>>>> Klaus >>>> I'm using PSpice as well. LTspice lacks some of the post-processing >>>> bells and whistles that you and I are accustomed to using. >>>> >>> But it doesn't have the crashes ... >>> >>> [...] >> >> PSpice, and other excellent softwares, only crash for you >:-} >> > >Oh no. I remember lots of others, including some here in the NG. At one >point when it got really bad I had the support guys on the phone and >allowed them desktop access via web. Showed them the crashes, more and >more folks came in on their side. They checked lots of settings, all ok, >then commended me on how clean my PC was. I guess they must see a lot of >messy ones. Then someone in the background exclaimed "I can't believe >this is happening!". > >To avoid any misunderstandings, the support was excellent. The quality >of the software was IMHO not. > >You probably have an older version with less problems. With software >it's usually like with red wine, older = better. > > >> The ONLY thing I ever have problems with is Firefox and its plug-in >> container, though the latest release seems to have fixed that. >> > >Yep, that plug-in container is a really buggy piece of software. Yet >still, for me it crashes with a runtime error maybe 4-5 times a year. >That is absolutely nothing compared to Orcad/PSpice and Acrobat Reader. >Both of which I ditched -> problem solved. > >Skype must have been fixed, that no longer crashes since the last >update. It leaves the occasional turd on the bottom task bar but one can >live with that. It's IMHO not nearly as good as GoToMeeting though, so >that's what gets used mostly here.
I have v15.7, which is just a few versions back. The crash difference is that you, and other crashees, are using OrCAD Crapture, but I am still using original crispy flavor PSpice Schematics, which is rock solid. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.