Reply by Smitty Two May 26, 20082008-05-26
In article <n8udnegY_ZBzMafVnZ2dnUVZ_j-dnZ2d@comcast.com>,
 "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@comcast.net> wrote:

> >> Some DMM user manuals suggest that you briefly > >> short the diode while the test leads are attached. > > > Must be only prehistoric ones -- I bet. > > If the Fluke 87 is prehistoric, you lose. >
Bzzzt. If the Fluke 87 is prehistoric, he wins.
Reply by Phil Allison May 26, 20082008-05-26
"William Sommerwanker  Snipping Cunthead "

>>> Some DMM user manuals suggest that you briefly >>> short the diode while the test leads are attached. > >> Must be only prehistoric ones -- I bet. > > If the Fluke 87 is prehistoric, you lose.
** Where is your proof - fuckwit ??
> The Fluke 87 does have a separate diode test.
** Yawwnnnnnnn
> However, I'm almost certain I > read what I read in the 87's manual -- but I'm not sure,
** You are not sure if your arse is on fire or not - fuckwit.
> and I don't have the time to look for it.
** What a pathetic excuse for a liar. ..... Phil
Reply by William Sommerwerck May 26, 20082008-05-26
>> Some DMM user manuals suggest that you briefly >> short the diode while the test leads are attached.
> Must be only prehistoric ones -- I bet.
If the Fluke 87 is prehistoric, you lose. The Fluke 87 does have a separate diode test. However, I'm almost certain I read what I read in the 87's manual -- but I'm not sure, and I don't have the time to look for it.
Reply by Phil Allison May 26, 20082008-05-26
"William Sommerwanker"

> Some DMM user manuals suggest that you briefly short the diode while the > test leads are attached.
** Must be only prehistoric ones - I bet.
>This forces the meter to downrange and give a > less-inaccurate reading of the forward resistance when the short is > removed.
** Neither manual nor auto-ranging DMMs have enough volts available on the ohms ranges to forward bias a single silicon diode - let alone a series string of them, as found in microwave oven diodes. Most DMMs have " diode test " ranges fitted, which will supply up to a couple of volts with a fixed current of about 1 mA. The reading is then in volts or millivolts. ...... Phil
Reply by William Sommerwerck May 26, 20082008-05-26
Some DMM user manuals suggest that you briefly short the diode while the
test leads are attached. This forces the meter to downrange and give a
less-inaccurate reading of the forward resistance when the short is removed.

Reply by Phil Allison May 24, 20082008-05-24
"Paul E. Schoen Smug Pig "
** Not essential. A standard 9 volt radio battery will only deliver about 200mA into a diode stack that conducts at 6 to 10 volts - plus a test takes only a few seconds. Best avoid alkaline types for this, unless it is near flat. ..... Phil
Reply by Paul E. Schoen May 24, 20082008-05-24
"Phil Allison" <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> > <anglomont@yahoo.com> > >> Can anyone confirm whether following microwave oven components are >> dead >> -diode hvr1x8019:tested with analog ohm meter-short both directions > > > ** Dead for sure. > >> -rectifier 2x062h 8025:..open in both directions > > > ** Probably OK. > > Testing such high voltage diodes ( really a multi-diode stack ) requires > a source of voltage more than what a DMM or analogue ohm meter has > available. > > Try connecting a 9 volt radio battery in both directions, while > monitoring current flow with your meter.
With some sort of current limiter, like a light bulb, of course. Paul
Reply by Phil Allison May 24, 20082008-05-24
<anglomont@yahoo.com>

> Can anyone confirm whether following microwave oven components are > dead > -diode hvr1x8019:tested with analog ohm meter-short both directions
** Dead for sure.
> -rectifier 2x062h 8025:..open in both directions
** Probably OK. Testing such high voltage diodes ( really a multi-diode stack ) requires a source of voltage more than what a DMM or analogue ohm meter has available. Try connecting a 9 volt radio battery in both directions, while monitoring current flow with your meter. ..... Phil
Reply by James Sweet May 23, 20082008-05-23
DaveM wrote:
> <anglomont@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:e9ede4c8-a93c-4d40-8a59-7ecb7bb3b571@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >> Can anyone confirm whether following microwave oven components are >> dead >> -diode hvr1x8019:tested with analog ohm meter-short both directions >> -rectifier 2x062h 8025:..open in both directions >> tnx > > The diode that reads short in both directions is definitely bad. The other, if > it's a high voltage rectifier, might have too high Vf to be properly tested by a > multimeter. Those are best tested by a Huntron Tracker or by replacement. >
Or test them by applying mains voltage through one to a low wattage incandescent bulb. If the diode is working, the bulb will be dim and flicker slightly running on half wave power.
Reply by DaveM May 23, 20082008-05-23
<anglomont@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone confirm whether following microwave oven components are > dead > -diode hvr1x8019:tested with analog ohm meter-short both directions > -rectifier 2x062h 8025:..open in both directions > tnx
The diode that reads short in both directions is definitely bad. The other, if it's a high voltage rectifier, might have too high Vf to be properly tested by a multimeter. Those are best tested by a Huntron Tracker or by replacement. -- Dave M MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the address) Experience: What you get when you don't get what you want