Reply by DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno April 27, 20132013-04-27
On 27 Apr 2013 10:52:42 GMT, Jasen Betts <jasen@xnet.co.nz> wrote:

>On 2013-04-27, josephkk <joseph_barrett@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >> On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 06:59:05 -0700, John Larkin >><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> >>> >>>DECs RT11 OS was cloned to become CPM and Microsoft DOS, and lives on in the >>>Windows command line. >> >> Absolute idiotic poppycock. Neither CPM nor Portland Software's 8086 DOS >> had anything but some incidental common commands to RT11. They were >> utterly different creatures written from scratch. > >Over half the OS calls are identical,
I think Bill Gates' early endeavors involved DR. Did j'all just miss that one?
Reply by Jasen Betts April 27, 20132013-04-27
Replying to myself, that doesn't make DOS any closer to CP/M than linux is to unix. -- &#9858;&#9859; 100% natural --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
On 2013-04-27, josephkk <joseph_barrett@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 06:59:05 -0700, John Larkin ><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: > >> >>DECs RT11 OS was cloned to become CPM and Microsoft DOS, and lives on in the >>Windows command line. > > Absolute idiotic poppycock. Neither CPM nor Portland Software's 8086 DOS > had anything but some incidental common commands to RT11. They were > utterly different creatures written from scratch.
Over half the OS calls are identical, -- &#9858;&#9859; 100% natural --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
Reply by josephkk April 27, 20132013-04-27
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 06:59:05 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

> >DECs RT11 OS was cloned to become CPM and Microsoft DOS, and lives on in=
the
>Windows command line.
Absolute idiotic poppycock. Neither CPM nor Portland Software's 8086 DOS had anything but some incidental common commands to RT11. They were utterly different creatures written from scratch.
> >What sort of computing system did you have in 1969? I had a PDP8 running=
Focal.
>What did you compute on in 1975? I had a PDP11 timeshare system with =
around 20
>users.=20 >
In 1975 i had a AN/UYK-7 which was about equivalent to a small VAX of the time. It was designed as a dedicated real time military sensor and weapons control platform (NTDS), the precursor of C3I. It did about 1 32-bit VAX MIPS. ?-)
Reply by josephkk April 27, 20132013-04-27
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 07:49:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >John Larkin wrote: >>=20 >> DEC wrote operating systems (TOPS10, VMS, RSTS) that ran for months =
between
>> power failures, time-sharing multiple, sometimes hostile, users. We =
are now in
>> the dark ages of computing, overwhelmed by bloat and slop and =
complexity. No
>> wonder people are buying tablets. DEC understood things that Intel and=
Microsoft
>> never really got, like: don't execute data. > > > I've had Win2K run over nine months, between power failures that >lasted longer than the UPS batteries. DEC had more control over the >computers, and a tiny fraction of the number running Windows or Linux. > > > If DEC was so damned good, why were they unable to survive? Their >IBM 'clone' (Rainbow 100) was very overpriced, not compatible, and did a >very quick death spiral. Admit it. It was a dinosaur company with a >very tiny customer base.
Same old management problem. Even though the Alpha ran rings around = Vaxes and PDP10s, and those were the current cash cows. They crippled Alphas = to keep their old "core" business. That decision destroyed them. See also the Rainbow. =20 IBM has barely survived similar mistakes with the PC. Also where is Data General (who had the Nova mini and the Micronova chip), Sequent, Sierra, Nixdorf, Pyramid, Non-stop computing, and many other minicomputer (and transaction server) vendors of the time. All gone or morphed into something else. Sun was the last one standing and they focused on engineering workstations. SGI Iris workstations are gone as well. Mentor and Daisy have morphed into software companies. ?-)
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:28:00 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 4/24/2013 5:19 AM, Jasen Betts wrote: >> On 2013-04-23, rickman<gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> Who else made fatal mistakes were made in the computer industry? Who=
at
>>> Osborn decided to promote the next generation before they were ready =
>>> ship and killed the current sales? >>> >>> Why did the Alpha die? Was that more an issue of DEC going away? I >>> don't recall who ended up with it. >>> Was it Intel who let it die a lingering death? >> >> HP http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver > >Ah, it was HP who ended up with it. It lasted up until 2008, that's not=
=20
>too bad really.
Ah. Now i get it. That is why HP wanted Compaq. ?-)
Reply by Michael A. Terrell April 26, 20132013-04-26
John Larkin wrote:
> > Michael A. Terrell wrote: > > > > Ask Intel. > > The last time I tried to ask Intel anything [1], they insisted that I > be certified first. That involved furnishing all sorts of company info > and presenting a plan that proved we would build at least 10K systems > the first year. All that to get a datasheet!
Yet you asked me what they newest chips support. Based on the number of boards in use, VME/VXI is obsolete.
Reply by April 26, 20132013-04-26
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:04:05 -0700, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>The 11 had no i/o instructions, which was cool. Devices were memory >mapped, so no opcodes were wasted on klunky IN and OUT instructions, >and any memory opcode could operate on i/o, too. 68K worked like that, >too. The 68K was just a better PDP-11. > >The PDP-11 was programmed in octal, and with a little practice you >could assemble instruction in your head and map them directly into >octal. I can still do some. > >MOVB (r1)+, R5 is (I think) 112105 octal.
The dual operator instruction format was 1+3+(3+3)+(3+3) bits and most single operation instructions 1+9+(3+3) bits, thus it was quite easy to write small test programs directly with the binary front page switches. Of course, calculating the relative branch offsets in your head was a challenge :-). It is interesting to note that the Intel 8080 had the MOV instruction in the 2+3+3 bit format and most other instructions in the 5+3 bit format. In some early documents, Intel used octal, which worked fine for this instruction mapping. Unfortunately, Intel then switched to hexadecimal notation and it became quite hard to program it in machine language.
Reply by April 26, 20132013-04-26
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:26:39 -0700 (PDT), "langwadt@fonz.dk"
<langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:

>On Apr 26, 8:04&#4294967295;pm, John Larkin <jlar...@highlandtechnology.com> >wrote:
>> The 11 had no i/o instructions, which was cool. Devices were memory >> mapped, so no opcodes were wasted on klunky IN and OUT instructions, >> and any memory opcode could operate on i/o, too. 68K worked like that, >> too. The 68K was just a better PDP-11. >> > >with IO instructions you don't need to do a whole lot of address >decoding >for if you need a few IO registers, you can easily make io a different >speed >than memory, if the opcode aren't used for anything else they are not >wasted
The PDP-11 allocated 8 KiB for the I/O page. This was of course much if you only had 64 KiB address space (no MMU), not so bad with 256 KiB logical address space (such as PDP11/34) and insignificant in the 4 MiB address space (such as PDP11/70). With 8 KiB I/O page, it was not a problem to allocate register space for a large number of Unibus/QBUS cards, each peripheral register could have its own address in the I/O page. Compare this to some processors with specialized I/O instructions with perhaps up to 256 I/O-registers. This caused some nasty consequences, there might be only two bytes on a peripheral card, first you write a register number select to select the actual register and then use the other byte for the actual data transfer to the recently selected register. The IN instruction might read from one register, but OUT to the same address would cause writing a completely different register, i.e. no register readbacks. Some exotic cards might have some nasty side effects of the IN instruction (e.g. advancing the register select) and you could not safely use some diagnostics tools to peeking such registers.
Reply by lang...@fonz.dk April 26, 20132013-04-26
On Apr 26, 8:04=A0pm, John Larkin <jlar...@highlandtechnology.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:33:32 -0800, Robert Baer > > > > > > > > > > <robertb...@localnet.com> wrote: > >Michael A. Terrell wrote: > > >> John Larkin wrote: > > >>> On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 22:38:23 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" > >>> <mike.terr...@earthlink.net> =A0wrote: > > >>>> John Larkin wrote: > > >>>>> On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 02:48:53 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" > >>>>> <mike.terr...@earthlink.net> =A0wrote: > > >>>>>> John Larkin wrote: > > >>>>>>> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 07:49:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" > >>>>>>> <mike.terr...@earthlink.net> =A0wrote: > > >>>>>>>> John Larkin wrote: > > >>>>>>>>> DEC wrote operating systems (TOPS10, VMS, RSTS) that ran for mo=
nths between
Linux.
> >> the early '90s. =A0Tractor trailer loads of off lease CAD systems. > > =A0 Yeah, for the PDP-11, designing specialized interface boards and > >programming for them was very nice and straight-forward. > > The 11 had no i/o instructions, which was cool. Devices were memory > mapped, so no opcodes were wasted on klunky IN and OUT instructions, > and any memory opcode could operate on i/o, too. 68K worked like that, > too. The 68K was just a better PDP-11. >
with IO instructions you don't need to do a whole lot of address decoding for if you need a few IO registers, you can easily make io a different speed than memory, if the opcode aren't used for anything else they are not wasted And nothing prevents you from memory mapping devices instead of using the IO instructions -Lasse