Reply by Ralph Barone February 10, 20122012-02-10
Robert Baer <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote:
> Jon wrote: >> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable > wires. >>> Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines? > Only if there are: 1) brush type motors, 2) on/off motors, 3) chopped > AC devices like fluorescents, CFLs and lights with dimmers on the line. > In the first 2 cases, even ten feet separation may not be enough.
Voice I'm not sure of, but data can be incredibly robust. I recall setting up a LocalTalk (early Apple network protocol - RS-422 at 230 kbps) network in an HVDC converter station. As a test, we took a couple hundred feet of cable and wrapped it around a fluorescent light fixture outside the valve hall (where a 140 kV, 1700 A inverter resided). Perfect data transfer, and clean waveforms on the scope.
Reply by ehsjr February 10, 20122012-02-10
Robert Baer wrote:
> Jon wrote: > >> I didn't think so. >> >> I could run the wires in the crawl space but I don't want the rats >> gnawing the insulation off. I could run the wires through the living >> space in the trailer but I don't want unsightly wires running all over >> the ceilings. I think conduit in the crawl space is probably my best >> bet... the most expensive and the most difficult, but the safest. I >> could also run conduit in the living space. Thank all of you for your >> replies. Jon >> >> "John Larkin" wrote in message >> news:cj95j79uigmmp4njg7p4detjqm4psdpog4@4ax.com... >> >> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:20:00 -0500, "Jon" <intrepid@bellaire.tv> wrote: >> >>> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable >>> wires. >>> >>> Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines? >> >> >> No. >> >> > Plastic pipe nominally used for waterpipe may be a lot less expensive.
And not legal where the NEC applies. Use PVC electrical conduit listed for the purpose. Ed
Reply by Robert Baer February 10, 20122012-02-10
Jon wrote:
> I didn't think so. > > I could run the wires in the crawl space but I don't want the rats > gnawing the insulation off. I could run the wires through the living > space in the trailer but I don't want unsightly wires running all over > the ceilings. I think conduit in the crawl space is probably my best > bet... the most expensive and the most difficult, but the safest. I > could also run conduit in the living space. Thank all of you for your > replies. Jon > > "John Larkin" wrote in message > news:cj95j79uigmmp4njg7p4detjqm4psdpog4@4ax.com... > > On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:20:00 -0500, "Jon" <intrepid@bellaire.tv> wrote: > >> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable >> wires. >> >> Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines? > > No. > >
Plastic pipe nominally used for waterpipe may be a lot less expensive.
Reply by Michael A. Terrell February 9, 20122012-02-09
"lektric.dan@gmail.com" wrote:
> > Can you run metal-shielded romex in the runs where the wires are in > close proximity?
BX cable? -- You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense.
Reply by Jon February 9, 20122012-02-09
I didn't think so.

I could run the wires in the crawl space but I don't want the rats gnawing
the insulation off.  I could run the wires through the living space in the
trailer but I don't want unsightly wires running all over the ceilings.  I
think conduit in the crawl space is probably my best bet... the most
expensive and the most difficult, but the safest.  I could also run conduit
in the living space.  Thank all of you for your replies.  Jon

"John Larkin"  wrote in message

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:20:00 -0500, "Jon" <intrepid@bellaire.tv> wrote:

>I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable >wires. > >Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines?
No. -- John Larkin, President Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators
Reply by Robert Baer February 9, 20122012-02-09
Jon wrote:
> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable > wires. > > Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines?
Only if there are: 1) brush type motors, 2) on/off motors, 3) chopped AC devices like fluorescents, CFLs and lights with dimmers on the line. In the first 2 cases, even ten feet separation may not be enough.
Reply by lekt...@gmail.com February 8, 20122012-02-08
Can you run metal-shielded romex in the runs where the wires are in
close proximity?  That should mitigate any cross-over interference.

On Feb 8, 10:20=A0am, "Jon" <intre...@bellaire.tv> wrote:
> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable > wires. > > Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines?
Reply by Fred Bloggs February 8, 20122012-02-08
On Feb 8, 11:20=A0am, "Jon" <intre...@bellaire.tv> wrote:
> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable > wires. > > Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines?
If the lines are twisted pairs, shielded, balanced then the answer is no, up to a point. If in doubt, wrap the power line through a closed ferrite magnetic circuit, the more turns the lower the cutoff, this will kill any high frequency energy that might interfere with the data line.
Reply by Tom Del Rosso February 8, 20122012-02-08
Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:20:00 -0500, Jon wrote: > > > I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and > > cable wires. > > > > Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines? > > It might if you've got something noisy hanging off of it, like a > honkin' big motor or industrial lighting or whatnot.
And whether the phone system is analog or digital PBX makes a big difference. -- Reply in group, but if emailing add one more zero, and remove the last word.
Reply by John Larkin February 8, 20122012-02-08