Reply by Jon Elson October 27, 20112011-10-27
On 10/26/2011 03:45 PM, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

>> On 10/26/2011 11:43 AM, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote: >>> When the PC is "switched off" by the button connected to the mobo the
> No, it's just an AV system based on a computer. > So rather than have multiple power switches a mains relay actuated from > the +12 should be sufficient to route power to the amps >
OK, the original post said "PC" so I assumed an ATX power supply. If a short power-on whenever the power supply is plugged into the wall socket causes no harm, then everything is fine. Jon
Reply by Dirk Bruere at NeoPax October 26, 20112011-10-26
On 26/10/2011 19:52, Jon Elson wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 11:43 AM, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote: >> When the PC is "switched off" by the button connected to the mobo the >> PSU goes into a quiescent state, yet must supply voltage to the mobo. >> >> What voltages are active on the PSU, and what only comes up when the >> mobo powers up? >> > Well, it is a little more complicated. Powering up is a BIOS > function, and motherboards that have the BIOS option to > always start when power is available or to start when power > is available if the last state was powered-on, will always fully > power up when the supply gets power, and then decide to stay on > or power off depending on the BIOS selection. So, for instance, > Dell desktops will pretty much all power on fully for about a half > second, and then may turn off or stay on as selected. > > Just thought you should know this. Maybe a 1-second time delay > would be better in your application, or even have the software > enable the device only after the software is running, if there is > a safety or reliability issue with having the device power up > too early. > > Jon
No, it's just an AV system based on a computer. So rather than have multiple power switches a mains relay actuated from the +12 should be sufficient to route power to the amps -- Dirk http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply by Dirk Bruere at NeoPax October 26, 20112011-10-26
On 26/10/2011 19:48, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:39:21 -0700) it happened qrk > <SpamTrap@spam.net> wrote in<mbhga7lp1pi2p8rl45df46jdrikmmakg3p@4ax.com>: > >> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:43:58 +0100, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax >> <dirk.bruere@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> When the PC is "switched off" by the button connected to the mobo the >>> PSU goes into a quiescent state, yet must supply voltage to the mobo. >>> >>> What voltages are active on the PSU, and what only comes up when the >>> mobo powers up? >> >> standby 5VDC, pin 9. > > That is the violet wire in ATX. > The green wire on pin 14 is on/off switch to ground. > The +12 V he could use is the yellow wire on pin 10. > > To defuse cut any wire. > :-) >
Yes, bomb makers always use international color coded wires. And bright red LED timers. The EOD guy never thinks to simply remove the explosive from around the (single) detonator. -- Dirk http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply by lang...@fonz.dk October 26, 20112011-10-26
On 26 Okt., 22:30, "Ian Field" <gangprobing.al...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> "Nico Coesel" <n...@puntnl.niks> wrote in message > > news:4ea854c1.25649890@news.kpn.nl... > > > > > > > > > > > Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bru...@gmail.com> wrote: > > >>On 26/10/2011 18:10, langw...@fonz.dk wrote: > >>> On 26 Okt., 18:43, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax<dirk.bru...@gmail.com> > >>> wrote: > >>>> When the PC is "switched off" by the button connected to the mobo the > >>>> PSU goes into a quiescent state, yet must supply voltage to the mobo. > > >>>> What voltages are active on the PSU, and what only comes up when the > >>>> mobo powers up? > > >>>> -- > >>>> Dirk > > >>>>http://www.neopax.com/technomage/-Magick and Technology > > >>> googles says; 5V standby, and then +12, +5, +3.3,-12 and optionally > >>> -5V when it is on > > >>> -Lasse > > >>Seems so - just been googling: > >>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/funcSoftPower-c.html > > >>I need a PC to turn on mains to an amplifier, so just connecting a mains > >>relay to the 12V of the PSU ought to do it. When the PC is up, so is the > >>amp > > > I'd use a 5V relay connected to a USB port. Doesn't require tinkering > > inside the PC and it will work with any PC. > > Some PCs leave the USB 5V on in standby.
I think it is usually a bios/jumper setting on the motherboard -Lasse
Reply by Ian Field October 26, 20112011-10-26
"Nico Coesel" <nico@puntnl.niks> wrote in message 
news:4ea854c1.25649890@news.kpn.nl...
> Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bruere@gmail.com> wrote: > >>On 26/10/2011 18:10, langwadt@fonz.dk wrote: >>> On 26 Okt., 18:43, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax<dirk.bru...@gmail.com> >>> wrote: >>>> When the PC is "switched off" by the button connected to the mobo the >>>> PSU goes into a quiescent state, yet must supply voltage to the mobo. >>>> >>>> What voltages are active on the PSU, and what only comes up when the >>>> mobo powers up? >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Dirk >>>> >>>> http://www.neopax.com/technomage/- Magick and Technology >>> >>> googles says; 5V standby, and then +12, +5, +3.3,-12 and optionally >>> -5V when it is on >>> >>> -Lasse >> >>Seems so - just been googling: >>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/funcSoftPower-c.html >> >>I need a PC to turn on mains to an amplifier, so just connecting a mains >>relay to the 12V of the PSU ought to do it. When the PC is up, so is the >>amp > > I'd use a 5V relay connected to a USB port. Doesn't require tinkering > inside the PC and it will work with any PC.
Some PCs leave the USB 5V on in standby.
Reply by Jon Elson October 26, 20112011-10-26
On 10/26/2011 11:43 AM, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
> When the PC is "switched off" by the button connected to the mobo the > PSU goes into a quiescent state, yet must supply voltage to the mobo. > > What voltages are active on the PSU, and what only comes up when the > mobo powers up? >
Well, it is a little more complicated. Powering up is a BIOS function, and motherboards that have the BIOS option to always start when power is available or to start when power is available if the last state was powered-on, will always fully power up when the supply gets power, and then decide to stay on or power off depending on the BIOS selection. So, for instance, Dell desktops will pretty much all power on fully for about a half second, and then may turn off or stay on as selected. Just thought you should know this. Maybe a 1-second time delay would be better in your application, or even have the software enable the device only after the software is running, if there is a safety or reliability issue with having the device power up too early. Jon
Reply by lang...@fonz.dk October 26, 20112011-10-26
On 26 Okt., 19:16, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bru...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 26/10/2011 18:10, langw...@fonz.dk wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > On 26 Okt., 18:43, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax<dirk.bru...@gmail.com> > > wrote: > >> When the PC is "switched off" by the button connected to the mobo the > >> PSU goes into a quiescent state, yet must supply voltage to the mobo. > > >> What voltages are active on the PSU, and what only comes up when the > >> mobo powers up? > > >> -- > >> Dirk > > >>http://www.neopax.com/technomage/-Magick and Technology > > > googles says; 5V standby, and then +12, +5, +3.3,-12 and optionally > > -5V when it is on > > > -Lasse > > Seems so - just been googling:http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/funcSoftPower-c.html > > I need a PC to turn on mains to an amplifier, so just connecting a mains > relay to the 12V of the PSU ought to do it. When the PC is up, so is the amp >
you can get an extension cord with a relay controlled by the 5V in a USB connector for that exact purpose -Lasse -Lasse
Reply by Jan Panteltje October 26, 20112011-10-26
On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:39:21 -0700) it happened qrk
<SpamTrap@spam.net> wrote in <mbhga7lp1pi2p8rl45df46jdrikmmakg3p@4ax.com>:

>On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:43:58 +0100, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax ><dirk.bruere@gmail.com> wrote: > >>When the PC is "switched off" by the button connected to the mobo the >>PSU goes into a quiescent state, yet must supply voltage to the mobo. >> >>What voltages are active on the PSU, and what only comes up when the >>mobo powers up? > >standby 5VDC, pin 9.
That is the violet wire in ATX. The green wire on pin 14 is on/off switch to ground. The +12 V he could use is the yellow wire on pin 10. To defuse cut any wire. :-)
Reply by Nico Coesel October 26, 20112011-10-26
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bruere@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 26/10/2011 18:10, langwadt@fonz.dk wrote: >> On 26 Okt., 18:43, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax<dirk.bru...@gmail.com> >> wrote: >>> When the PC is "switched off" by the button connected to the mobo the >>> PSU goes into a quiescent state, yet must supply voltage to the mobo. >>> >>> What voltages are active on the PSU, and what only comes up when the >>> mobo powers up? >>> >>> -- >>> Dirk >>> >>> http://www.neopax.com/technomage/- Magick and Technology >> >> googles says; 5V standby, and then +12, +5, +3.3,-12 and optionally >> -5V when it is on >> >> -Lasse > >Seems so - just been googling: >http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/funcSoftPower-c.html > >I need a PC to turn on mains to an amplifier, so just connecting a mains >relay to the 12V of the PSU ought to do it. When the PC is up, so is the amp
I'd use a 5V relay connected to a USB port. Doesn't require tinkering inside the PC and it will work with any PC. -- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.) --------------------------------------------------------------
Reply by qrk October 26, 20112011-10-26
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:43:58 +0100, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
<dirk.bruere@gmail.com> wrote:

>When the PC is "switched off" by the button connected to the mobo the >PSU goes into a quiescent state, yet must supply voltage to the mobo. > >What voltages are active on the PSU, and what only comes up when the >mobo powers up?
standby 5VDC, pin 9.