Reply by John Larkin May 16, 20112011-05-16
On Mon, 16 May 2011 13:25:55 -0700, "Jure Newsgroups"
<jure@get_a_life.com> wrote:

> >"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message >news:25rts61j46t576vfkcv4ods8t3tl2q9f0l@4ax.com... >> >> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Efratom.pdf >> >> > >Thanks for posting the scanned pages ! > >Jure Z. >
We have a cool Sharp digital copier that will sheet feed, scan both sides, and dump the PDF onto our server. Easy! John
Reply by Jure Newsgroups May 16, 20112011-05-16
"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message
> > ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Efratom.pdf > >
Thanks for posting the scanned pages ! Jure Z.
Reply by John Larkin May 16, 20112011-05-16
On Mon, 16 May 2011 08:59:07 -0700 (PDT), George Herold
<gherold@teachspin.com> wrote:

>On May 14, 4:57&#4294967295;pm, John Larkin ><jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Efratom.pdf > >Hey John, Are those your scribbles on page 80 of the manual? Trying >to 'decode' the 6.834... GHz. Do you understand why only the 60 MHz >signal is 'multiplied' by 114? Perhaps the 5.3 MHz is added in at a >much lower amplitude so only the 60 MHz is making harmonics? > >Thanks, > >George H.
Yup, my scribbles. The SRD drive is a horrible mess. And that mess is multiplied by the SRD into a forest of messes. The spectrum must be a horror, multiples of 60 MHz, each with +-5.3 MHz sidebands and worse. ONE of the zillion spectral lines hits the rubidium resonance. The rest waste power but otherwise don't matter. There's probably an RF cavity that enhances the 6.83 GHz spectral line, its sidebands, and probably a few dozen of its neighbors. John
Reply by George Herold May 16, 20112011-05-16
On May 14, 4:57=A0pm, John Larkin
<jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Efratom.pdf
Hey John, Are those your scribbles on page 80 of the manual? Trying to 'decode' the 6.834... GHz. Do you understand why only the 60 MHz signal is 'multiplied' by 114? Perhaps the 5.3 MHz is added in at a much lower amplitude so only the 60 MHz is making harmonics? Thanks, George H.
Reply by George Herold May 15, 20112011-05-15
On May 14, 4:57=A0pm, John Larkin
<jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Efratom.pdf
Much Thanks, George H.
Reply by John Larkin May 15, 20112011-05-15
On Sun, 15 May 2011 08:51:58 GMT, Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On a sunny day (Sat, 14 May 2011 13:57:53 -0700) it happened John Larkin ><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in ><25rts61j46t576vfkcv4ods8t3tl2q9f0l@4ax.com>: > >> >>ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Efratom.pdf > >Thats is a very interesting pdf. >I notice a few things (I am no expert on atomic clock, so..) >anyways, they 'wobble' at 127 Hz around Fc it seems, >so for short term (< a few ms) that would give bigger errors. >So one would need to drive some PLL with it I would think.
The rubidium resonance is used to very slowly correct the 10 Mhz OCXO. The correction is slow enough that the 127 Hz sweep doesn't show up at the output. They do a lock-in amplifier sort of loop so, when it's centered at zero error, there is no FM of the 10 MHz oscillator. I think.
> >Also they use a cesium standard as calibration, >is there a reason why cesium should be more accurate?
I don't know the physics. The caesium standards are a lot bigger and much more expensive.
> >I like that manual, it reminds me of manuals I wrote many years >ago (I once was technical writer for a very big [arms] company), >where we had to mention every component and what it did, >and how its value was calculated too. >And I did that with some of my own designs, nice piece of work that manual.
I've learned a lot from reading old manuals. Not much from newer ones. John
Reply by Jan Panteltje May 15, 20112011-05-15
On a sunny day (Sat, 14 May 2011 20:16:25 -0400) it happened Fred McKenzie
<fmmck@aol.com> wrote in <fmmck-82D430.20162314052011@5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>:

>In article <25rts61j46t576vfkcv4ods8t3tl2q9f0l@4ax.com>, > John Larkin <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: > >> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Efratom.pdf > >John- > >Thank you! I'm printing it as I type. > >I purchased one of these on E-Bay several years ago, and use it to sync >the horizontal sweep of an oscilloscope. I feed a 10 MHz counter >timebase to the scope's vertical input, and adjust for zero drift. >Frequency of the oven-controlled oscillator in an HP counter seems to >hold up quite well over time. > >Fred
xy mode should work too :-)
Reply by Jan Panteltje May 15, 20112011-05-15
On a sunny day (Sat, 14 May 2011 13:57:53 -0700) it happened John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in
<25rts61j46t576vfkcv4ods8t3tl2q9f0l@4ax.com>:

> >ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Efratom.pdf
Thats is a very interesting pdf. I notice a few things (I am no expert on atomic clock, so..) anyways, they 'wobble' at 127 Hz around Fc it seems, so for short term (< a few ms) that would give bigger errors. So one would need to drive some PLL with it I would think. Also they use a cesium standard as calibration, is there a reason why cesium should be more accurate? I like that manual, it reminds me of manuals I wrote many years ago (I once was technical writer for a very big [arms] company), where we had to mention every component and what it did, and how its value was calculated too. And I did that with some of my own designs, nice piece of work that manual. Thank you for making this available.
Reply by John Larkin May 14, 20112011-05-14
On Sat, 14 May 2011 20:16:25 -0400, Fred McKenzie <fmmck@aol.com>
wrote:

>In article <25rts61j46t576vfkcv4ods8t3tl2q9f0l@4ax.com>, > John Larkin <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: > >> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Efratom.pdf > >John- > >Thank you! I'm printing it as I type. > >I purchased one of these on E-Bay several years ago, and use it to sync >the horizontal sweep of an oscilloscope. I feed a 10 MHz counter >timebase to the scope's vertical input, and adjust for zero drift. >Frequency of the oven-controlled oscillator in an HP counter seems to >hold up quite well over time. > >Fred
What's amazing is to take two of these. Use one to trigger a scope, and look at the other on a vertical channel. Once things are aligned, you can crank up to, say, 10 ns/div and the rising edge looks perfectly triggered. Come back 20 minutes later, and the edge will have moved a little. You can then calculate delta-F between the oscillators in units, like, ns per hour. John
Reply by Fred McKenzie May 14, 20112011-05-14