Reply by Steve Wilson September 13, 20172017-09-13
Steve Wilson <no@spam.com> wrote:
> Genetic Control of Mosquitoes
> Genetics can potentially provide new, species-specific, > environmentally friendly methods for mosquito control. Genetic > control strategies aim either to suppress target populations or to > introduce a harm-reducing novel trait. Different approaches differ > considerably in their properties, especially between self-limiting > strategies, where the modification has limited persistence, and > self-sustaining strategies, which are intended to persist > indefinitely in the target population and may invade other > populations. Several methods with different molecular biology are > under development and the first field trials have been completed > successfully.
> http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-ento-011613-162002
The link has gone paywall. Costs $96 to read. Here is a free PDF version: http://reviverestore.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Alphey-AnnRevEnt-2014- genetic-control-of-mosquitoes-copy.pdf Here is a tinyurl link in case your reader has problems with wrap: http://tinyurl.com/y7db55dp Here is another article with additional information: http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rimtsp/v54n5/09.pdf
Reply by September 12, 20172017-09-12
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 09:28:14 -0700, Taxed and Spent
<nospamplease@nonospam.com> wrote:

>On 9/12/2017 8:56 AM, alex13wick@gmail.com wrote: >> On Monday, November 30, 2009 at 4:45:09 AM UTC-5, D from BC wrote: >>> I saw a bug on my ceiling... >>> Which reminded me of a utube video of a spider chasing after a laser >>> spot. >>> So I get the laser pointer(actually a laser distance measurement tool) >>> and aim it near the bug. >>> It flies! >>> I don't like flies and when it relanded on the ceiling I decided to do >>> a less friendly test.. Laser blinding! muhahahhaha.... :P >>> >>> I rested the laser spot all over the fly. A good 30 seconds. >>> I probably fried every light receptor. >>> The fly took off did a few chaotic circles in the air and I lost track >>> of it. >>> It did not reland on the ceiling. >>> >>> I need more power! :P >>> 1W laser fly zapper project??? >>> With sniper scope of course :) >> >> XD rip i ordered me a 20mw laser will that be enough to kill a bug >> > > >Years ago, when I was the only one in the world with my own laser (well, >almost - glass tube days), I almost got a cat to jump into a swimming >pool. I did get a drunk chick cornered and she threw her beer at the >red spot that was chasing her.
Now that's *funny*.
Reply by Steve Wilson September 12, 20172017-09-12
John Larkin <jjlarkin@highland_snip_technology.com> wrote:

> I suppose you could run blood through a capillary and look as things > pass. Sort of like a Coulter Counter or one of those fluorescent > molecule analyzer things. Zap the bad ones.
You would have to sit each individual down at the machine, and convince each blood cell to go through that capillary to be inspected. That may take some time. Instead, let the mosquitoes kill themselves. There are a number of ways: Baiting Mosquitoes with Knowledge and Proven Insecticides At the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) Center for Medical, Agricultural and Veterinary Entomology (CMAVE) in Gainesville, Fla., entomologist Sandra Allan is using toxic sugar-based baits to lure and kill mosquitoes. Allan and her CMAVE cooperators are evaluating insecticides and designing innovative technology to fight biting insects and arthropods. ARS is USDA's principal intramural scientific research agency. http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2012/121113.htm https://www.insidescience.org/content/mosquitoes-need-sugar-not-blood- survive/1206 How to Build a Mosquito Trap From an Old Tire Mosquitoes love old tires. Scientists aren't exactly sure why. There's something about the warm rubber - a chemical compound that the mosquitoes can smell, perhaps - that attracts the insects to lay their eggs in the tires' hollow insides. In backyard settings, old tires are one of the biggest risk factors for mosquito breeding, producing up to a third of all mosquitoes in the area. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/how-to-build-mosquito-trap-from- old-tire-180958954/ Genetic Control of Mosquitoes Genetics can potentially provide new, species-specific, environmentally friendly methods for mosquito control. Genetic control strategies aim either to suppress target populations or to introduce a harm-reducing novel trait. Different approaches differ considerably in their properties, especially between self-limiting strategies, where the modification has limited persistence, and self-sustaining strategies, which are intended to persist indefinitely in the target population and may invade other populations. Several methods with different molecular biology are under development and the first field trials have been completed successfully. http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-ento-011613-162002 Personally, I like the Gene Drive approach. Self-propagating. Useful for other pests, such as screwworm. These can attack anyone: Woman&#4294967295;s &#4294967295;Excruciating&#4294967295; Head Pain Turns Out to Be One of the Grossest Things You Can Imagine https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cc5_1374019730
Reply by John Larkin September 12, 20172017-09-12
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 18:41:52 GMT, Steve Wilson <no@spam.com> wrote:

>John Larkin <jjlarkin@highland_snip_technology.com> wrote: > >> Combine a low power scanning LIDAR with a laser zapper. Sort of an >> Anti Ballistic Mosquito Defense. > >Mosquito laser WMD (Weapon of Mosquito Destruction) > >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_laser > >Mosquito killed by a Laser > >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYXPqrXZ1eU > >Nathan Myhrvold's TED talk on malaria and killing mosquitoes > >https://www.ted.com/talks/nathan_myhrvold_could_this_laser_zap_malaria
I suppose you could run blood through a capillary and look as things pass. Sort of like a Coulter Counter or one of those fluorescent molecule analyzer things. Zap the bad ones. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
Reply by Adrian Jansen September 12, 20172017-09-12
On 13/09/2017 3:12 AM, Tim Williams wrote:
> "bitrex" <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote in message > news:XaUtB.41639$rF2.23483@fx21.iad... >> Unfortunately for OP the rhodopsins in the housefly vision system have >> very little absorption in the human-visible spectrum, and its response >> at 650 nm is for all intents and purposes zero. Pretty sure the fly >> didn't notice a thing > > Interesting.&#4294967295; Might've cooked it a bit though. > > I've sometimes seen flies behaving "drunk" around my unfiltered LED > fixture. Those chips are pretty intense... > > Tim >
You may have something there. I too doubt that IR would affect a fly much, but white LEDS emit a narrow UVA band which would be about in the right range for a flys receptors. Its that UVA which pumps the phosphors in the LED to produce the white light. -- Regards, Adrian Jansen
Reply by Steve Wilson September 12, 20172017-09-12
John Larkin <jjlarkin@highland_snip_technology.com> wrote:

> Combine a low power scanning LIDAR with a laser zapper. Sort of an > Anti Ballistic Mosquito Defense.
Mosquito laser WMD (Weapon of Mosquito Destruction) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_laser Mosquito killed by a Laser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYXPqrXZ1eU Nathan Myhrvold's TED talk on malaria and killing mosquitoes https://www.ted.com/talks/nathan_myhrvold_could_this_laser_zap_malaria
Reply by bitrex September 12, 20172017-09-12
On 09/12/2017 01:12 PM, Tim Williams wrote:
> "bitrex" <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote in message > news:XaUtB.41639$rF2.23483@fx21.iad... >> Unfortunately for OP the rhodopsins in the housefly vision system have >> very little absorption in the human-visible spectrum, and its response >> at 650 nm is for all intents and purposes zero. Pretty sure the fly >> didn't notice a thing > > Interesting. Might've cooked it a bit though.
If the light-absorbing goop in the fly vision system doesn't absorb any more at that wavelength than any other part of the fly idk how it would've damaged it any more than any other part of the fly. Handheld red laser pointer certainly wouldn't cause ionization. With enough power I'm sure you could focus enough energy on the poor thing to damage it with any wavelength but I'd guess the wings would go first. Also OP is claiming he was able to hold a handheld laser pointer beam directly on a fly's eye for 30 seconds from across a room. Ok... Maybe flies have some more generally weakly light-sensitive receptors on their extremities. Maybe getting hit with the laser pointer beam felt like a soothing shower, that's why it stayed so long.
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 08:56:53 -0700 (PDT), alex13wick@gmail.com wrote:

>On Monday, November 30, 2009 at 4:45:09 AM UTC-5, D from BC wrote: >> I saw a bug on my ceiling... >> Which reminded me of a utube video of a spider chasing after a laser >> spot. >> So I get the laser pointer(actually a laser distance measurement tool) >> and aim it near the bug. >> It flies! >> I don't like flies and when it relanded on the ceiling I decided to do >> a less friendly test.. Laser blinding! muhahahhaha.... :P >> >> I rested the laser spot all over the fly. A good 30 seconds. >> I probably fried every light receptor. >> The fly took off did a few chaotic circles in the air and I lost track >> of it. >> It did not reland on the ceiling. >> >> I need more power! :P >> 1W laser fly zapper project??? >> With sniper scope of course :) > >XD rip i ordered me a 20mw laser will that be enough to kill a bug
Combine a low power scanning LIDAR with a laser zapper. Sort of an Anti Ballistic Mosquito Defense. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On 09/12/2017 12:28 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 9/12/2017 8:56 AM, alex13wick@gmail.com wrote: >> On Monday, November 30, 2009 at 4:45:09 AM UTC-5, D from BC wrote: >>> I saw a bug on my ceiling... >>> Which reminded me of a utube video of a spider chasing after a laser >>> spot. >>> So I get the laser pointer(actually a laser distance measurement tool) >>> and aim it near the bug. >>> It flies! >>> I don't like flies and when it relanded on the ceiling I decided to do >>> a less friendly test.. Laser blinding! muhahahhaha.... :P >>> >>> I rested the laser spot all over the fly. A good 30 seconds. >>> I probably fried every light receptor. >>> The fly took off did a few chaotic circles in the air and I lost track >>> of it. >>> It did not reland on the ceiling. >>> >>> I need more power! :P >>> 1W laser fly zapper project??? >>> With sniper scope of course :) >> >> XD rip i ordered me a 20mw laser will that be enough to kill a bug >> > > > Years ago, when I was the only one in the world with my own laser (well, > almost - glass tube days), I almost got a cat to jump into a swimming > pool. I did get a drunk chick cornered and she threw her beer at the > red spot that was chasing her.
OPs aren't thinking big enough; OPs should get like a 1 watt UV laser attached to an infrared tracking system and swiveling robotic arm that vaporizes those suckers right out of the air. Pew pew!
On 09/12/2017 01:00 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Years ago, when I was the only one in the world with my own laser (well, >>> almost - glass tube days), I almost got a cat to jump into a swimming >>> pool. I did get a drunk chick cornered and she threw her beer at the >>> red spot that was chasing her. >> >> Unfortunately for OP the rhodopsins in the housefly vision system have >> very little absorption in the human-visible spectrum, and its response >> at 650 nm is for all intents and purposes zero. Pretty sure the fly >> didn't notice a thing >> > > > I am sure he will move on to drunk chicks about now.
Sadly all the "chicks" who once found laser pointers novel are likely in their mid-60s by now. The younger ones are too busy with their phones to look up