Reply by Phil Hobbs December 14, 20172017-12-14
Modern buck regulators seem to have way too many features that I can't
turn off or customize.

The otherwise very nice AOZ1282-1 snookered me by having a 600-us fixed
short-circuit protection interval--it wouldn't start up into a 220 uF
capacitor, even with a very light load.  Fortunately, switching to 22 uF
fixed it, and I had some with the right footprint.

And then many go into stutter mode at light loads, e.g. the MCP16311.
Its brother, the MCP16312, is claimed to stay in vanilla PWM mode
throughout the load range, but the data sheet lies.  That bit me once
when I was trying to make an isolated +24 -> +-5V converter for an
industrial control system, using two coupled inductors.   Simulated
great, but the undocumented stutter mode of the MCP16312 screwed it up.

Chips these days.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Reply by bitrex December 14, 20172017-12-14
On 12/14/2017 09:45 AM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Modern buck regulators seem to have way too many features that I can't > turn off or customize. > > The otherwise very nice AOZ1282-1 snookered me by having a 600-us fixed > short-circuit protection interval--it wouldn't start up into a 220 uF > capacitor, even with a very light load.  Fortunately, switching to 22 uF > fixed it, and I had some with the right footprint. > > And then many go into stutter mode at light loads, e.g. the MCP16311. > Its brother, the MCP16312, is claimed to stay in vanilla PWM mode > throughout the load range, but the data sheet lies.  That bit me once > when I was trying to make an isolated +24 -> +-5V converter for an > industrial control system, using two coupled inductors.   Simulated > great, but the undocumented stutter mode of the MCP16312 screwed it up. > > Chips these days. > > Cheers > > Phil Hobbs >
The fixed short-circuit protection interval thing that makes them fall over on start into large capacitances or cold resistive loads is annoying as fuk; I encountered that when building someone a circuit with Numitron tubes for a display. Used a boost module that should've had plenty of nominal current to drive the segments when hot, but wouldn't start up when they were cold. The chip did have a "shutdown" pin though so I hacked it by using a CMOS 555 and RC circuit to the control voltage input to send a ~5kHz square wave of increasing duty cycle to that pin over a couple seconds, and then shut off the oscillator once the rail was up.
Reply by George Herold December 14, 20172017-12-14
On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 9:45:33 AM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Modern buck regulators seem to have way too many features that I can't > turn off or customize. > > The otherwise very nice AOZ1282-1 snookered me by having a 600-us fixed > short-circuit protection interval--it wouldn't start up into a 220 uF > capacitor, even with a very light load. Fortunately, switching to 22 uF > fixed it, and I had some with the right footprint. > > And then many go into stutter mode at light loads, e.g. the MCP16311. > Its brother, the MCP16312, is claimed to stay in vanilla PWM mode > throughout the load range, but the data sheet lies. That bit me once > when I was trying to make an isolated +24 -> +-5V converter for an > industrial control system, using two coupled inductors. Simulated > great, but the undocumented stutter mode of the MCP16312 screwed it up. > > Chips these days.
Grin, On the glass half full front, at least there are these IC's. What if you had to design it all with discretes? I'm beating my head on some unknown bit of stray capacitance. The first circuit worked, the second doesn't. The second pcb now looks like a battle field of blue jumper wires. I've got it isolated to an inch of trace, but I can't see how it couples.... oh a new idea... I think I'm going to redo the pcb, but I'd like to understand a bit more what I did wrong. George H.
On 12/14/2017 11:09 AM, George Herold wrote:
> On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 9:45:33 AM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> Modern buck regulators seem to have way too many features that I can't >> turn off or customize. >> >> The otherwise very nice AOZ1282-1 snookered me by having a 600-us fixed >> short-circuit protection interval--it wouldn't start up into a 220 uF >> capacitor, even with a very light load. Fortunately, switching to 22 uF >> fixed it, and I had some with the right footprint. >> >> And then many go into stutter mode at light loads, e.g. the MCP16311. >> Its brother, the MCP16312, is claimed to stay in vanilla PWM mode >> throughout the load range, but the data sheet lies. That bit me once >> when I was trying to make an isolated +24 -> +-5V converter for an >> industrial control system, using two coupled inductors. Simulated >> great, but the undocumented stutter mode of the MCP16312 screwed it up. >> >> Chips these days. > Grin, On the glass half full front, at least there are these IC's. > What if you had to design it all with discretes?
Quit being so offensively reasonable. ;) This one would probably work using an astable driving a PMOS at fixed duty cycle, followed by an LC lowpass (which is really all a buck is) and an LM1117 (or zener plus metal-can 2N2222) for regulation.
> > I'm beating my head on some unknown bit of stray capacitance. The first > circuit worked, the second doesn't. The second pcb now looks like a > battle field of blue jumper wires. I've got it isolated to an inch of trace, > but I can't see how it couples.... oh a new idea... I think I'm going to > redo the pcb, but I'd like to understand a bit more what I did wrong.
Yeah, you learn a lot from those post-mortems. Using SiGe:C BJTs is an education in layout all by itself. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply by John Larkin December 14, 20172017-12-14
On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:45:17 -0500, Phil Hobbs

>Modern buck regulators seem to have way too many features that I can't >turn off or customize. > >The otherwise very nice AOZ1282-1 snookered me by having a 600-us fixed >short-circuit protection interval--it wouldn't start up into a 220 uF >capacitor, even with a very light load. Fortunately, switching to 22 uF >fixed it, and I had some with the right footprint. > >And then many go into stutter mode at light loads, e.g. the MCP16311. >Its brother, the MCP16312, is claimed to stay in vanilla PWM mode >throughout the load range, but the data sheet lies. That bit me once >when I was trying to make an isolated +24 -> +-5V converter for an >industrial control system, using two coupled inductors. Simulated >great, but the undocumented stutter mode of the MCP16312 screwed it up. > >Chips these days. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
My latest fave is the TPS54302. It's a 6-pin SOT23, nice and dumb, and behaves very well. There is no usable model (Web-bench never works for me) so I had to breadboard the various compensations, but that's done now. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On 12/14/2017 12:17 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:45:17 -0500, Phil Hobbs > <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: > >> Modern buck regulators seem to have way too many features that I can't >> turn off or customize. >> >> The otherwise very nice AOZ1282-1 snookered me by having a 600-us fixed >> short-circuit protection interval--it wouldn't start up into a 220 uF >> capacitor, even with a very light load. Fortunately, switching to 22 uF >> fixed it, and I had some with the right footprint. >> >> And then many go into stutter mode at light loads, e.g. the MCP16311. >> Its brother, the MCP16312, is claimed to stay in vanilla PWM mode >> throughout the load range, but the data sheet lies. That bit me once >> when I was trying to make an isolated +24 -> +-5V converter for an >> industrial control system, using two coupled inductors. Simulated >> great, but the undocumented stutter mode of the MCP16312 screwed it up. >> >> Chips these days. >> > > My latest fave is the TPS54302. It's a 6-pin SOT23, nice and dumb, and > behaves very well. > > There is no usable model (Web-bench never works for me) so I had to > breadboard the various compensations, but that's done now. > >
Looks like a nice part, but distributor stock appears to be very thin. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply by John Larkin December 14, 20172017-12-14
On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 14:40:49 -0500, Phil Hobbs

>On 12/14/2017 12:17 PM, John Larkin wrote: >> On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:45:17 -0500, Phil Hobbs >> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: >> >>> Modern buck regulators seem to have way too many features that I can't >>> turn off or customize. >>> >>> The otherwise very nice AOZ1282-1 snookered me by having a 600-us fixed >>> short-circuit protection interval--it wouldn't start up into a 220 uF >>> capacitor, even with a very light load. Fortunately, switching to 22 uF >>> fixed it, and I had some with the right footprint. >>> >>> And then many go into stutter mode at light loads, e.g. the MCP16311. >>> Its brother, the MCP16312, is claimed to stay in vanilla PWM mode >>> throughout the load range, but the data sheet lies. That bit me once >>> when I was trying to make an isolated +24 -> +-5V converter for an >>> industrial control system, using two coupled inductors. Simulated >>> great, but the undocumented stutter mode of the MCP16312 screwed it up. >>> >>> Chips these days. >>> >> >> My latest fave is the TPS54302. It's a 6-pin SOT23, nice and dumb, and >> behaves very well. >> >> There is no usable model (Web-bench never works for me) so I had to >> breadboard the various compensations, but that's done now. >> >> >Looks like a nice part, but distributor stock appears to be very thin. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
I'd better check on that. It's very similar to the AOZ part but, of course, different pinout. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
Reply by Tim Williams December 14, 20172017-12-14
The fancier synchronous controllers allow you to run in full-wave mode, and
some of the regular-switch kinds too.  They're usually the upscale ones that
feel like giving you those extra control pins to play with.  So, they may
break whatever budget or layout size restrictions you had.

That short protection mode is good to know about, thanks.  Seems like I see
that on chips with poor (or no) current limiting, or fixed timing designs
(like a peak current mode controller, that turns on /every/ cycle and for at
least a minimum pulse width, hence not actually limiting current into a
short).  I mean, even my discrete designs deal with that problem, but alas,
we're stuck with ICs in practical designs.

What's so bad about burp-ripple in an "industrial control system"?  In your
low noise opto gadgets, I can see that, but..?

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC

On 12/14/2017 04:42 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 14:40:49 -0500, Phil Hobbs > <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: > >> On 12/14/2017 12:17 PM, John Larkin wrote: >>> On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:45:17 -0500, Phil Hobbs >>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: >>> >>>> Modern buck regulators seem to have way too many features that I can't >>>> turn off or customize. >>>> >>>> The otherwise very nice AOZ1282-1 snookered me by having a 600-us fixed >>>> short-circuit protection interval--it wouldn't start up into a 220 uF >>>> capacitor, even with a very light load. Fortunately, switching to 22 uF >>>> fixed it, and I had some with the right footprint. >>>> >>>> And then many go into stutter mode at light loads, e.g. the MCP16311. >>>> Its brother, the MCP16312, is claimed to stay in vanilla PWM mode >>>> throughout the load range, but the data sheet lies. That bit me once >>>> when I was trying to make an isolated +24 -> +-5V converter for an >>>> industrial control system, using two coupled inductors. Simulated >>>> great, but the undocumented stutter mode of the MCP16312 screwed it up. >>>> >>>> Chips these days. >>>> >>> >>> My latest fave is the TPS54302. It's a 6-pin SOT23, nice and dumb, and >>> behaves very well. >>> >>> There is no usable model (Web-bench never works for me) so I had to >>> breadboard the various compensations, but that's done now. >>> >>> >> Looks like a nice part, but distributor stock appears to be very thin. >> >> Cheers >> >> Phil Hobbs > > I'd better check on that. It's very similar to the AOZ part but, of > course, different pinout. > >
Yeah, there's a big run on quite a few chips at the moment, it seems. The AOZ1282-1 is in "full production" but nobody has any more till at least January. It's the 400 mA, 1-MHz version of the vanilla 1282, which is a 1A, 500 kHz part. Faster is nice when you're coming off a 24V rail. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
On 12/14/2017 04:57 PM, Tim Williams wrote:

> > "Phil Hobbs" <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in > message news:9qmdnXVbc4rjE6_HnZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@supernews.com... >> Modern buck regulators seem to have way too many features that I >> can't turn off or customize. >> >> The otherwise very nice AOZ1282-1 snookered me by having a 600-us >> fixed short-circuit protection interval--it wouldn't start up into >> a 220 uF capacitor, even with a very light load. Fortunately, >> switching to 22 uF fixed it, and I had some with the right >> footprint. >> >> And then many go into stutter mode at light loads, e.g. the >> MCP16311. Its brother, the MCP16312, is claimed to stay in vanilla >> PWM mode throughout the load range, but the data sheet lies. That >> bit me once when I was trying to make an isolated +24 -> +-5V >> converter for an industrial control system, using two coupled >> inductors. Simulated great, but the undocumented stutter mode of >> the MCP16312 screwed it up. >> >> Chips these days.
> The fancier synchronous controllers allow you to run in full-wave > mode, and some of the regular-switch kinds too. They're usually the > upscale ones that feel like giving you those extra control pins to > play with. So, they may break whatever budget or layout size > restrictions you had. > > That short protection mode is good to know about, thanks. Seems like > I see that on chips with poor (or no) current limiting, or fixed > timing designs (like a peak current mode controller, that turns on > /every/ cycle and for at least a minimum pulse width, hence not > actually limiting current into a short). I mean, even my discrete > designs deal with that problem, but alas, we're stuck with ICs in > practical designs. > > What's so bad about burp-ripple in an "industrial control system"? > In your low noise opto gadgets, I can see that, but..?
I was using it to make an isolated supply, so I need it to keep on PWMing under all circumstances. (It was a 'flybuck' design.) The main output didn't need much current. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com