Electronics-Related.com

RTC and cr2032 low voltage

Started by captoro in sci.electronics.design12 years ago 2 replies

Hi, I am using the RTC DS1337 with a CR2032 battery. I know that when these battery shows 2.7v, it needs replacing, Although the RTC can...

Hi, I am using the RTC DS1337 with a CR2032 battery. I know that when these battery shows 2.7v, it needs replacing, Although the RTC can go down to 1.4V from the spec sheet. I even powered it through my power supply at 1.1V and it was keeping time correctly. I am only power the RTC from the battery. My question is : How low of a voltage can I go before replacing in a real life situation ? ...

Battery problems

Started by Don Y in sci.electronics.design2 years ago 29 replies

Does anyone *know* what cause(s) of recent/historical battery fires (in EVs, particularly)? I assume it is not related to abuse or "usage...

Does anyone *know* what cause(s) of recent/historical battery fires (in EVs, particularly)? I assume it is not related to abuse or "usage hazards". Or, charging/BMS. But, rather, originates in manufacturing (?) Is this an issue with material (im)purities, mechanical defects, assembly faults, etc.?

Filter Cap for a battery pack ?

Started by Sid 03 in sci.electronics.design2 years ago 5 replies

I need to select a capacitor for a battery pack. I see a lot of circuits that use Alkaline batteries and then have a ceramic capacitor across the...

I need to select a capacitor for a battery pack. I see a lot of circuits that use Alkaline batteries and then have a ceramic capacitor across the leads of the series battery pack to act as a filter. My question is how do you size the cap ? I hate just looking at what someone else has done and just guess or copy. I have 4x 1.5v alkaline batteries in series powering a amplifier circuit. ...

PNP for soft switch and reverse battery protection

Started by Peabody in sci.electronics.design7 years ago 66 replies

I'm working on a small circuit that will be powered by a 9V battery. I would like to combine the functions of a soft power switch and reverse...

I'm working on a small circuit that will be powered by a 9V battery. I would like to combine the functions of a soft power switch and reverse battery protection in a single device. I think the answer may be to use a PNP transistor on the high side, with a base resistor to ground - actually to ground through a physical momentary switch, or indirectly to ground via an NPN transistor cont...

car emergency start battery

Started by Ralph Mowery in sci.electronics.design10 months ago 13 replies

I bought 2 car emergency start battery packs from Amazon. One has about 15.5 volts on the open circuit battery cables. It also has one USB...

I bought 2 car emergency start battery packs from Amazon. One has about 15.5 volts on the open circuit battery cables. It also has one USB port that is labled for 5 volts and 9 volts. Another port labled 12 Volta 10 amps. That port puts out about 15.5 volts open circuit. The other pack has 11.7 volts at the battery cable, then a USB port labled 5 v, 9v, 12 V with lower amps for th...

battery charger

Started by RichD in sci.electronics.design3 years ago 5 replies

I picked up a AAA NiMh battery charger. The label reads: Output: 1.2 V 800 mA AA/AAA charging: 120 mA Why the two different current...

I picked up a AAA NiMh battery charger. The label reads: Output: 1.2 V 800 mA AA/AAA charging: 120 mA Why the two different current specs? Does not compute - -- Rich

nuclear battery

Started by jim whitby in sci.electronics.design3 months ago 5 replies

From Tomshardware site IF this isn't BS... Somebody in the free world needs to get off their asses!

From Tomshardware site IF this isn't BS... Somebody in the free world needs to get off their asses!

NiCd cell replacements

Started by Andy K in sci.electronics.design11 years ago 14 replies

I will be replacing eight cells in a battery for a cordless drill. 9.6 V The markings did not lead anywhere. DF21NF NiCd Since there are...

I will be replacing eight cells in a battery for a cordless drill. 9.6 V The markings did not lead anywhere. DF21NF NiCd Since there are eight cells in the battery, I think they are 1.2 volt nicads. 1 3/4 X 5/8 are the dimensions if that would help with determining the mAH. Could someone help me in what would be a good replacement ? Thanks.

Charger recommendations

Started by Andy in sci.electronics.design6 years ago 17 replies

I am looking at the Nitecore D4 Digicharger/Four Channel Universal Smart Battery Charger/LCD Display and GYRFALCON All-44 4 Channel Digital...

I am looking at the Nitecore D4 Digicharger/Four Channel Universal Smart Battery Charger/LCD Display and GYRFALCON All-44 4 Channel Digital Battery Charger. What do you recommend ? I read where 26650 have a higher capacity than 18650s. Andy

Toyota Solid State Battery

Started by Dean Hoffman in sci.electronics.design10 months ago 9 replies

It supposedly will give a vehicle 900 mile range someday. No details.

It supposedly will give a vehicle 900 mile range someday. No details.

HP3586 Selective Voltmeter Help

Started by amdx in sci.electronics.design7 years ago 1 reply

I bought an HP3596B off Ebay. I have a service manual on order. First thing I did was remove the leaky battery and thoroughly clean the PS...

I bought an HP3596B off Ebay. I have a service manual on order. First thing I did was remove the leaky battery and thoroughly clean the PS board. It looks good, however if I look down to the edge connector inside the unit I can see it has the blue buildup on it from the battery leak. I'll save that until I disassemble to clean and lube the switches. At power up the self calibrati...

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

Started by Sjouke Burry in sci.electronics.design4 years ago 77 replies

fred.flintstone@thecave.com wrote in news:a0fa48poski1u7imevrk3jviugam1if5qc@4ax.com: > My computer clock battery died. It had a CR2032. I...

fred.flintstone@thecave.com wrote in news:a0fa48poski1u7imevrk3jviugam1if5qc@4ax.com: > My computer clock battery died. It had a CR2032. I bought a CR2025 at > a store going out of business (No Returns). Both say they are 3v. The > CR2025 is a little thinner, but otherwise they are the same size. Is > there any reason not to use the 2025? > > -------------- > > To thin to fi

SLB and charger question

Started by Andy K in sci.electronics.design10 years ago 3 replies

I would like to buy a NP 4-6 Yuasa 6 Volt 4 Amp Hour Battery. Would this charger work and how do I determine how long to recharge a discharged...

I would like to buy a NP 4-6 Yuasa 6 Volt 4 Amp Hour Battery. Would this charger work and how do I determine how long to recharge a discharged battery ? Model: HB-0702-01 Input: AC100-240V 50-60Hz 0.2A Output: DC7.2V 1.0A I would be powering some led lights that operate at 3.0 volts, so I would need to find out how to step down the voltage as well. Thanks.

explain this

Started by RichD in sci.electronics.design1 year ago 11 replies

I have an old portable CD player, still works. Runs on 2 AA batteries. The other day, a CD was skipping, on the third track. I tolerated...

I have an old portable CD player, still works. Runs on 2 AA batteries. The other day, a CD was skipping, on the third track. I tolerated it for a minute, then forwarded. Other tracks also damaged. The battery charge indicator read zero. Dead battery or smushy disc? I pop in another CD, works fine. Try the bad CD again, same symptoms repeated. How does a dodgy disc muck ...

Lithium-ion Battery Degradation

Started by Ricky in sci.electronics.design2 years ago 22 replies

Here is a pretty good discussion (if a bit long winded) of battery life in BEVs. It also explains a lot about why batteries in mobile devices...

Here is a pretty good discussion (if a bit long winded) of battery life in BEVs. It also explains a lot about why batteries in mobile devices have the lifespan they do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHz-Kx5h_Tw -- Rick C. - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

battery problems

Started by John Larkin in sci.electronics.design3 years ago 32 replies

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/while-they-were-asleep-their-teslas-burned-in-the-garage-it -e2-80-99s-a-risk-many-automakers-are-taking-seriously/ar-AAMVBlV https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/aug/02/tesla-big-battery-fire-in-victoria-burns- into-day-three

MPPT chargers dying upon battery disconnect?

Started by Joerg in sci.electronics.design1 year ago 16 replies

Attention, this is one of those rare electronics-related questions :-) Will be rigging up a small power-failure backup system. Essentially a...

Attention, this is one of those rare electronics-related questions :-) Will be rigging up a small power-failure backup system. Essentially a 12V LiFePO4 battery (with BMS in there), inverter, solar panels, MPPT charger. When reading up on stuff and talking to people I found something very disconcerting. It seems that MPPT charge controllers can and often do commit suicide when operat...

Battery Sizes - CR2354

Started by Ricky in sci.electronics.design2 years ago 13 replies

Normally, the number CR2354 specifies a battery completely. The CR refers to the chemistry and the 2354 defines the size. But there are multiple...

Normally, the number CR2354 specifies a battery completely. The CR refers to the chemistry and the 2354 defines the size. But there are multiple case shapes in this particular size. What's up with that? https://www.ebay.com/itm/233116431435 https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51BKvS6pUkL._AC_SL1000_.jpg One of these will fit and the other won't. What's the point of having sizes, ...

Cmos Battery/Clock

Started by amdx in sci.electronics.design9 years ago 23 replies

Well I've received my M48T86PC1 Cmos Clock Lithium Battery as a gift from China, according to the custom declaration. It is an ST...

Well I've received my M48T86PC1 Cmos Clock Lithium Battery as a gift from China, according to the custom declaration. It is an ST microelectronics part, my concern is the manufacturing date. The Chip is labeled as below, M48T86PC1 Real-Time Clock Contains Lithium Cell 990SN VH MYS 99 1033 WO723Y I hate s...

USB charger circuit

Started by Anonymous in sci.electronics.design11 years ago 20 replies

I am working on a simple USB charging circuit. Normally, the 3.6V NiMH bat= tery is connected to the device via the NC contacts of a relay. ...

I am working on a simple USB charging circuit. Normally, the 3.6V NiMH bat= tery is connected to the device via the NC contacts of a relay. When conne= cted, a 5V relay switch the battery to charge via a diode. So, a fully char= ged battery is around 4.2V. As someone suggested, i will put a parallel R = & C to reduce the hold current of the relay.=20 Questions: 1. What is the minimum ...