An RS232 cable question or two

Started by Anonymous in sci.electronics.basics5 years ago 15 replies

Greetings RS232 Gurus, I have a couple machine tools that connect to a computer through RS232. I now need to run a longer cable for one of the...

Greetings RS232 Gurus, I have a couple machine tools that connect to a computer through RS232. I now need to run a longer cable for one of the machines. Looking online it seems like the biggest limiting factor is the capacitance of the cable. I have a reel of cable with three twisted pairs and no shield that's about 300 feet long. Measuring the capacitance with my multimeter I find the capac...

RS232 cable followup

Started by Anonymous in sci.electronics.basics5 years ago 5 replies

Thanks again to those who responded to my RS232 cable question. This morning I soldered on the DB connectors and did a test of the cable. There...

Thanks again to those who responded to my RS232 cable question. This morning I soldered on the DB connectors and did a test of the cable. There were no problems. I fact, though this is really subjective, the program seemed to download faster than it did with the older, shorter, spliced cable. Eric

Wireless RS232

Started by Bart in sci.electronics.basics11 years ago 7 replies

I'd like to accomplish wireless RS232 between two computers running hyperterminal or procom without any additional software/programming, using...

I'd like to accomplish wireless RS232 between two computers running hyperterminal or procom without any additional software/programming, using the standard com ports (DB9). Once again I'm Googled out. At first I thought I could splice into a pair of FRS two-way radios, still thinking about it but some sites said those frequencies are for voice only and I'd be violating FCC rules. Still, ...

how to do it? RS232

Started by RsK in sci.electronics.basics11 years ago 22 replies

Please anybody can give me a brief idea that using oscilloscope how i can capture the waveform on a serial link, tranmitting the ASCII...

Please anybody can give me a brief idea that using oscilloscope how i can capture the waveform on a serial link, tranmitting the ASCII letter 'R' with 1 start bit, 1 end bit, 1 parity, with 1200 Baud.? I have connected oscilloscope with serial interface then? then selected the CH1 & CH2 then changed some setting on oscilloscope for RS232 , the wt to do? waiting for ur reply? regards ...

rs232 question

Started by malua mada! in sci.electronics.basics9 years ago 2 replies

I have a controller that talks rs232 ,driven by a MAX232. 3 wires only. I connect the computer to it: works fine. I am connecting a StarTech...

I have a controller that talks rs232 ,driven by a MAX232. 3 wires only. I connect the computer to it: works fine. I am connecting a StarTech NETRS2321E Net adapter to it. Won't work. Loopback plug instead of controller: works fine. Since the harness on the controller side includes a DB9 tap I decided to hook the computer into that, and LO! that causes it to work! I get communication on both...

Chassis Ground layout for better ESD and EMI compliance

Started by Mark in sci.electronics.basics6 years ago 67 replies

I have 2 USB, 2 Ehthernet and 2 RS232 connectors on the PCB. USB conns are one side, Ethernet conns on the 2nd side and RS232 on the 3rd side of...

I have 2 USB, 2 Ehthernet and 2 RS232 connectors on the PCB. USB conns are one side, Ethernet conns on the 2nd side and RS232 on the 3rd side of the board. All are through hole connectors and on top layer with separate chassis ground area on each side for connectors shields. So I have three chassis ground islands on th board for three sets of these connectors. If we have to connect the chassi...

remote monitoring

Started by alitufan in sci.electronics.basics11 years ago 1 reply

I need to help for my project which is telemetry disagn for to sent sun car's or hydromobile's information(current, voltage,speed,...)...

I need to help for my project which is telemetry disagn for to sent sun car's or hydromobile's information(current, voltage,speed,...) with mobile telephone via RS232 to pitstop.

serial network

Started by in sci.electronics.basics9 years ago 2 replies

how can i use visual basic for serial network using 89c52 and rs232 using 9 bit protocol

how can i use visual basic for serial network using 89c52 and rs232 using 9 bit protocol

Re: Joule Thief - still not working....

Started by default in sci.electronics.basics8 years ago 3 replies

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 07:01:28 -0700 (PDT), fungus wrote: > On Aug 9, 1:20?pm, default wrote: > > > > > $3 is too much? ? > > > >...

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 07:01:28 -0700 (PDT), fungus wrote: > On Aug 9, 1:20?pm, default wrote: > > > > > $3 is too much? ? > > > > Oh, I didn't see the prices for individual chips, only > the ones with PCBs. > That's the beauty of them. Only need a solderless breadboard and maybe a 9 pin RS232 connector plus 2-3 resistors. I bought a board

How to send a signal from PC to a circuit board?

Started by Anonymous in sci.electronics.basics11 years ago 15 replies

Hi I am working on a project where I have to send signals from a PC (RS232 or USB?) to a 4-to-16 decoder. Basically, I need a way to send...

Hi I am working on a project where I have to send signals from a PC (RS232 or USB?) to a 4-to-16 decoder. Basically, I need a way to send signals from a PC to drive the 4 inputs of the decoder. Anybody knows an easy way to do that? I am looking for the hardware and IC components necessary that will convert the signals from the PC. Then, what software or programs will I need to code? ...

seven segment display

Started by Anonymous in sci.electronics.basics11 years ago 4 replies

Hello, I am attempting to find a (multiplexing)seven segment display driver capable of driving at least 5 7seg drivers. I have found...

Hello, I am attempting to find a (multiplexing)seven segment display driver capable of driving at least 5 7seg drivers. I have found many but it seems they all have a synchronized serial input like SPI, but most of them are I2C. I would imagine this is to make designing with a uC easier, but what if I want to hook it up to my computers RS232 serial port? Do they make chips that talk As...

Surge Protector - how they work?

Started by Kari Laine in sci.electronics.basics7 years ago 9 replies

Hi, it is the thunder season here in Finland so I got interested how these surge protectors are built - which say they will save you hardware...

Hi, it is the thunder season here in Finland so I got interested how these surge protectors are built - which say they will save you hardware from spikes - yeah.... Are there avalanche diodes and coils? I have a dim feeling I have asked this before... Best Regards Kari -- PIC - ARM - Microcontrollers - I2C - SPI Keypads - USB-RS232 - USB-I2C - Accessories http://www.byvac...

programming atmel chip

Started by freeze in sci.electronics.basics10 years ago 2 replies

i need to program the at89c51ed2(atmel chip). i am using the usb-rs232 for this purpose. all my circuit connections are properly wired...

i need to program the at89c51ed2(atmel chip). i am using the usb-rs232 for this purpose. all my circuit connections are properly wired n everyhting recheked a thousand times. but still, the programming software that i use, in order to program the chip, gives me a 'connection time out' error. have tried all sorts of RESET dance that have been specified in the datasheet, but still no result.......

Re: Joule Thief - still not working....

Started by default in sci.electronics.basics8 years ago

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 20:17:32 -0700 (PDT), fungus wrote: > On Aug 9, 10:24?pm, default wrote: > > > > That's the beauty of them. ?Only...

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 20:17:32 -0700 (PDT), fungus wrote: > On Aug 9, 10:24?pm, default wrote: > > > > That's the beauty of them. ?Only need a solderless breadboard and > > maybe a 9 pin RS232 connector plus 2-3 resistors. > > > > It might be worth getting a proper PCB and a ZIF socket > if you're doing lots of them... :-) Yeah a zif socket

PIC MPLAB programmer I/F.

Started by ian field in sci.electronics.basics10 years ago 4 replies

Does anyone have any info on whether MPLAB has RS232 compatible programmer support? Having downloaded a number of programmer schematics, I've...

Does anyone have any info on whether MPLAB has RS232 compatible programmer support? Having downloaded a number of programmer schematics, I've found that a couple (Serpic & David Tait) that are very similar to the Velleman K8048 and wondered if this is some sort of industry standard. If anyone is interested, the examples including Velleman K8048 schematic are easy to find with google. ...

Re: Joule Thief - still not working....

Started by default in sci.electronics.basics8 years ago

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:31:03 GMT, "Paul E. Schoen" wrote: > > "fungus" wrote in message >...

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:31:03 GMT, "Paul E. Schoen" wrote: > > "fungus" wrote in message > news:a1ffc1c2-83e0-4bd1-808a-3c59f6bc7e20@j9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com... > On Aug 9, 10:24 pm, default wrote: > > > > That's the beauty of them. Only need a solderless breadboard and > > maybe a 9 pin RS232 connector plus 2-3 resistor

Simple circuit to measure baud rate on a serial link

Started by Simon in sci.electronics.basics10 years ago 8 replies

Hello - I'd like to be able to measure the baud rate that a couple of sealed devices are using to talk to each other over a serial (RS232)...

Hello - I'd like to be able to measure the baud rate that a couple of sealed devices are using to talk to each other over a serial (RS232) cable. I know that they only use the common baud rates 9600, 19200, etc. Can anybody give me some pointers on a circuit I could build that I could daisy chain with the serial cable to do this? A digital readout would be nice, but an analogue dial or s...

Serial Breakout Box

Started by Rolf in sci.electronics.basics3 years ago 3 replies

Looking for an inexpensive (less that $100) serial RS232 breakout box. Can set BAUD, etc and then receive serial data. needs to have some sort...

Looking for an inexpensive (less that $100) serial RS232 breakout box. Can set BAUD, etc and then receive serial data. needs to have some sort of data bit output; TTL or ?. up to 8 bits. nice to be able to send simple data byte back. A kit is fine. what's out there? I already have USB breakout boxes so that is not needed. --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfr...