[?] Audio VCO design

Started by David Chapman November 20, 2009
   As part of a larger system, I need to design and build an audio VCO
which will produce tones ranging from around 50Hz to 4KHz or so when the
applied DC input voltage changes from 0.5volts to 2.5volts.
   This will be used simply as a tuning aid for visually impaired users
so the actual voltage/frequency relationship, and waveform produced, is
not at all critical. Supply voltage of the VCO can be in the range 3.3v
- 5v DC.

   I'm considering using the CMOS 4046 PLL IC, but wonder if anyone in
this NG has any better suggestions to offer. FWIW, price is not the most
important consideration.

   Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

       TIA  -  Dave

--
David C.Chapman - (dcchapman@minda.co.uk)
"David Chapman" <dave@minda.co.uk> wrote in message
> > As part of a larger system, I need to design and build an audio VCO > which will produce tones ranging from around 50Hz to 4KHz or so when the > applied DC input voltage changes from 0.5volts to 2.5volts. > This will be used simply as a tuning aid for visually impaired users so > the actual voltage/frequency relationship, and waveform produced, is not > at all critical. Supply voltage of the VCO can be in the range 3.3v - 5v > DC. > > I'm considering using the CMOS 4046 PLL IC, but wonder if anyone in this > NG has any better suggestions to offer. FWIW, price is not the most > important consideration. > > Any suggestions will be much appreciated. > > TIA - Dave > > -- > David C.Chapman - (dcchapman@minda.co.uk) > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Don't use the 4046, unles you are prepared to calibrate each one. I found 3:1 variations between parts from different suppliers, i.e. frequency vs. volts. regards Graham H

--- View in courier: . VCC . | . +-----------|---------+ . | |8 | . [Rt] +----+----+ | .VC>--------+ | |_ Vcc | | . | +---7-O|D VC| | . [LED]--> [LDR] | _| | . | +----6-|TH R|O-4-+ . | | |__ | . | +---2-O|TR OUT|-3----->OUT . [R] | | GND | . | [Ct] +----+----+ . | | 7555 |1 .GND>-------+---------+-----------+ or: . +--------[Ct]--------+ . | | . | | \ HC04 | \ | .Vc>---[R]--+ +---| >O--+--O| >--+-->OUT . | | | / | | / . [LED]---> [LDR] | . | | | .GND>-------+ +---[R]----+ The LED/LDR combo or an incandescent/LDR combo is available as a single device called a "Vactrol": http://www.google.com/search?q=Vactrol&btnG=Search&hl=en&rlz=1T4GFRC_en&sa=2 JF
David Chapman wrote:
> > As part of a larger system, I need to design and build an audio VCO > which will produce tones ranging from around 50Hz to 4KHz or so when the > applied DC input voltage changes from 0.5volts to 2.5volts. > This will be used simply as a tuning aid for visually impaired users so > the actual voltage/frequency relationship, and waveform produced, is not > at all critical. Supply voltage of the VCO can be in the range 3.3v - 5v > DC. > > I'm considering using the CMOS 4046 PLL IC, but wonder if anyone in this > NG has any better suggestions to offer. FWIW, price is not the most > important consideration. > > Any suggestions will be much appreciated. > > TIA - Dave >
The old metal gate 4046 has a much wider VCO range than the HC version, which craps out at low control voltages, so that's good. The frequency tolerance is around +-50%, however, so you might wind up with 75 Hz to 6 kHz or 25 Hz to 2 kHz, which might matter to you. I'd either nudge the frequency specs up a bit to accommodate that tolerance, or if I wanted something more accurate, use a BJT diff pair to provide a charging current to a cap and a little comparator with well-defined hysteresis to reset it. That way you get a nearly exponential tuning curve, which is a good match to human hearing, and a much more dependable frequency range. If you're feeling posh, you could use an LM13700 and a few Rs and Cs for the whole job. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal ElectroOptical Innovations 55 Orchard Rd Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 845-480-2058 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net

http://www.analog.com/en/analog-to-digital-converters/voltage-to-frequency-converters/products/index.html http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/sbvs023/sbvs023.pdf If you want a nicer sound than a square wave, you can generate a multiple of the desired frequency and run it through some sort of simple sine shaper. John
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:39:06 +0000, David Chapman wrote:
> > As part of a larger system, I need to design and build an audio VCO > which will produce tones ranging from around 50Hz to 4KHz or so when the > applied DC input voltage changes from 0.5volts to 2.5volts. > This will be used simply as a tuning aid for visually impaired users > so the actual voltage/frequency relationship, and waveform produced, is > not at all critical. Supply voltage of the VCO can be in the range 3.3v - > 5v DC. > > I'm considering using the CMOS 4046 PLL IC, but wonder if anyone in > this NG has any better suggestions to offer. FWIW, price is not the most > important consideration. > > Any suggestions will be much appreciated. >
I'll probably get pilloried for this, but it sounds like the app cries out for a 555 or 7555. :-) You might have to scale the tuning voltage a bit. Good Luck! Rich
On Nov 20, 1:39=A0am, David Chapman <d...@minda.co.uk> wrote:
> =A0 =A0As part of a larger system, I need to design and build an audio VC=
> which will produce tones ranging from around 50Hz to 4KHz or so when the > applied DC input voltage changes from 0.5volts to 2.5volts.
> =A0 =A0I'm considering using the CMOS 4046 PLL IC,
The thresholds in a '4046 (CMOS) are variable unit-to-unit, some better precision can be had with a linear design; I'm thinking of XR2206, LM331, and similar chips. The basic scheme is to use the voltage input to program tracking current source + sink elements, onto an integrator-connected amplifier into a comparator with suitable hysteresis. Analog switches, diode switches, current mirrors, or transconductance amplifiers are the key components.
wrote:

> > As part of a larger system, I need to design and build an audio VCO >which will produce tones ranging from around 50Hz to 4KHz or so when the >applied DC input voltage changes from 0.5volts to 2.5volts. > This will be used simply as a tuning aid for visually impaired users >so the actual voltage/frequency relationship, and waveform produced, is >not at all critical. Supply voltage of the VCO can be in the range 3.3v >- 5v DC. > > I'm considering using the CMOS 4046 PLL IC, but wonder if anyone in >this NG has any better suggestions to offer. FWIW, price is not the most >important consideration. > > Any suggestions will be much appreciated. > > TIA - Dave
That 80:1 tuning range is pretty nasty. Do you need that in one swell foop, or can you use some form of ranging.? ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I once said, "We will bury you," and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you. - Nikita Khrushchev
David Chapman wrote:
> > As part of a larger system, I need to design and build an audio VCO > which will produce tones ranging from around 50Hz to 4KHz or so when the > applied DC input voltage changes from 0.5volts to 2.5volts. > This will be used simply as a tuning aid for visually impaired users > so the actual voltage/frequency relationship, and waveform produced, is > not at all critical. Supply voltage of the VCO can be in the range 3.3v > - 5v DC. > > I'm considering using the CMOS 4046 PLL IC, but wonder if anyone in > this NG has any better suggestions to offer. FWIW, price is not the most > important consideration. > > Any suggestions will be much appreciated. >
The LM331 can do that, is nicely linear but you'd have to add the proper control voltage offset so you get the range you want: http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM231.pdf However, check whether supply voltage and power consumption fit your requirements. Also, only available in DIP package. A really slick and precise solution is a micro controller with AD converter in there. The MSP430F2003 would be a good candidate and for the basic function you'd need almost no external parts other than a decoupling capacitor. Feed you control voltage to its built-in AD converter, digitally offset and scale its output to whatever you need and let the output set the overflow register of the internal timer. The timer output gets piped to a port pin and, voila, there is your output frequency. Even without any external crystal and just using the internal digitally controlled oscillator (DCO) the precision would be in the single digit percent. TI has super-cheap development kits for that series. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/ "gmail" domain blocked because of excessive spam. Use another domain or send PM.
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:39:06 +0000, the renowned David Chapman
<dave@minda.co.uk> wrote:

> > As part of a larger system, I need to design and build an audio VCO >which will produce tones ranging from around 50Hz to 4KHz or so when the >applied DC input voltage changes from 0.5volts to 2.5volts. > This will be used simply as a tuning aid for visually impaired users >so the actual voltage/frequency relationship, and waveform produced, is >not at all critical. Supply voltage of the VCO can be in the range 3.3v >- 5v DC. > > I'm considering using the CMOS 4046 PLL IC, but wonder if anyone in >this NG has any better suggestions to offer. FWIW, price is not the most >important consideration. > > Any suggestions will be much appreciated. > > TIA - Dave
If you don't mind a linear 50mV-4V for 50Hz-4kHz, it's pretty easy to do this with a couple of opamps (or an op-amp and a comparator) and a transistor (BJT, MOSFET or analog switch). You set one amplifier up as a +/- integrator, output goes to a comparator with hysteresis which controls the +/- switching. You get a triangle wave and a square wave output. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com