How loud is 75 Db.a

Started by January 16, 2007
I have purchased an industrial shredder.  The noise it produces is 75
Db.a.  How loud is this?  If anyone could give me any exmples of
popular sounds which match this volume i would be greatful.  Would i
require ear protectors?

It would be easier for me to switch the machine on, but i do not have
phase 3 power in the unit i am in.  I will have in the new premises.

Hope someone can help.

Regards,
Anthony

<number1hatfielder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

** Groper alert !

> I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > Db.a. How loud is this?
** Similar to a kitchen blender, electric drill or vacuum cleaner at a few metres range. Kinda annoying to talk over. ...... Phil
In article <1168954613.549784.198800@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
 number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > Db.a. How loud is this?
Quite.
> If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match > this volume i would be greatful.
Google is your friend.
> Would i require ear protectors?
Yes. -- Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist, or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow" somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Why don't you turn it on and listen to it??? Maybe you can hear how
loud it is and then you know how loud 75db is.....(Did I really have to
think of this myself???)

Don Bruder wrote:
> In article <1168954613.549784.198800@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, > number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote: > > > I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > > Db.a. How loud is this? > > Quite. > > > If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match > > this volume i would be greatful. > > Google is your friend. > > > Would i require ear protectors? > > Yes. > > -- > Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist, > or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow" > somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my > ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
In article <1168958930.250289.176170@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
 jdlemme@gmail.com wrote:

<top-post fixed - learn to post correctly, would ya?>

> Don Bruder wrote: > > In article <1168954613.549784.198800@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, > > number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote: > > > > > I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > > > Db.a. How loud is this? > > > > Quite. > > > > > If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match > > > this volume i would be greatful. > > > > Google is your friend. > > > > > Would i require ear protectors? > > > > Yes. > > Why don't you turn it on and listen to it??? Maybe you can hear how > loud it is and then you know how loud 75db is.....(Did I really have to > think of this myself???)
He said he doesn't have the right power conenction where he is currently. -- Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist, or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow" somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Normal Breathing 10dB...
Soft whisper (at 5m) 30dB...
Normal Conversation 60dB
Busy Traffic 70dB
Average Factory 80dB
Niagra Falls 90dB

number1hatfielder@ hotmail.com wrote:
>...[examples] of popular sounds which match this volume... > Anthony
http://www.google.com/search?q=intitle:giyf+engine+-jargondb+-Mustang http://www.google.com/search?q=loudness+decibels+chart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel
Simply reading my message would tell you that this is not possible.
Did i really have to point THIS out myself?.  No one else had the same
problem.

jdlemme@gmail.com wrote:
> Why don't you turn it on and listen to it??? Maybe you can hear how > loud it is and then you know how loud 75db is.....(Did I really have to > think of this myself???) > > > > > > Don Bruder wrote: > > In article <1168954613.549784.198800@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, > > number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote: > > > > > I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > > > Db.a. How loud is this? > > > > Quite. > > > > > If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match > > > this volume i would be greatful. > > > > Google is your friend. > > > > > Would i require ear protectors? > > > > Yes. > > > > -- > > Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist, > > or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow" > > somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my > > ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > Db.a. How loud is this? If anyone could give me any exmples of > popular sounds which match this volume i would be greatful. Would i > require ear protectors? > > It would be easier for me to switch the machine on, but i do not have > phase 3 power in the unit i am in. I will have in the new premises. > > Hope someone can help. > > Regards, > Anthony >
Interesting question, Anthony. Unfortunately, your question is unanswerable as posed. Suppose you could measure the sound pressure level of your machine. What do think it would be? Surely it would depend on how far from the machine you made the measurement. Across town, you wouldn't be able to detect any sound pressure from it. The shredder datasheet most likely provides information on the distance from the machine at which the measurement of 75 dBA was made. You cannot directly compare 75 dBA from the shredder to a vacuum cleaner, because in the case of the shredder, the distance at which the measurement was made has not been given, and in the case of the vacuum cleaner, neither the sound pressure level, nor the distance at which that level (if it existed) would have been measured. What you need in order to answer your question is: dBA of shredder at x feet and dBA of vacuum cleaner at y feet. With these numbers, you can then find how much more (or less) loud the shredder is than the vacuum cleaner when both are at some distance z from you. I think that is what you are looking for. If you'd like to see how the math is done, you might check out the following link: http://www.engin.umich.edu/class/ioe433/Noise/NoisePbs.pdf NoisePbs.pdf (application/pdf Object) Hope that helps. Chuck ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
"chuck"

> > You cannot directly compare 75 dBA from the shredder to a vacuum cleaner, > because in the case of the shredder, the distance at which the measurement > was made has not been given, and in the case of the vacuum cleaner, > neither the sound pressure level, nor the distance at which that level (if > it existed) would have been measured. >
** Just for fun, I measured my bog standard vacuum cleaner with a Rode SPL meter. Distance - 1.2 metres. Location - my workshop. The SPL reading was 74 dBA. QED ....... Phil
"terry" <tsanford@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

**  Groper Smartarse Alert

>> ** 10 dB is generally taken to be the increase in SPL required to make >> the >> majority of listeners declare ".... that is now twice as loud". >> > > > The human ear is a logarithmic device. > > We were instructed that the human ear (at normally audible frequencies > within normal hearing level range etc.) can 'just' detect a doubling of > sound.
** Then YOU were instructed WRONG !!!!!!!!!! The smallest SPL change that is just noticeable by most people is 1 dB. ( snip rest of this fool's incomprehensible drivel) ...... Phil
> "BobG" > > > Hey Phil.... I've hear some folks say 6dB is 'twice as loud' and others > > say 10db is twice as loud. What's your opinion? > > > ** 10 dB is generally taken to be the increase in SPL required to make the > majority of listeners declare ".... that is now twice as loud". > > ........ Phil
. The human ear is a logarithmic device. We were instructed that the human ear (at normally audible frequencies within normal hearing level range etc.) can 'just' detect a doubling of sound. i.e. twice the power is detectable. The logarithmic ratio of 2/1 = 0.3; that's 0.3 Bels. So that's 3 decibels. Six decibels would be doubling the power, twice. (3 dB and 3db again) That is four times the power. Ten db? Another four, to make ten dB is more than double that again i.e. eight times the original power plus some more! (3 + 3 + 3 +1 = 10) So for practical purposes a change of plus/minus 10 dBs would most clearly be apparent to most people. BTW. For a ten dB change; the logarithmic ratio of ten = 1.0 (We are back to Bel's again!) So that's ten decibels. So quite by coincidence as it were, plus ten decibels (+10 dB) is ten times the original power or loudness or whatever of the original. Have we got everybody confused now. Lets say in comparison to an original power or loudness level of one (1) watt. Power watts. Bels compared to original. Decibels to original. 2 0.3 +3 4 0.6 6 8 0.9 * 9 16 1.2 12 32 1.5 15 64 1.8 18 128 2.1 2 * for example using a calculator, mathematical tables or even an old 'slip stick' (slide rule) if here are still any around you can look up the logarithm of 8 and it is 0.9031. So eight times the power is 0.9 Bel's or 8 decibels. That little table of noise levels looks useful no matter what is the reference.
On 2007-01-18, Don Bruder <dakidd@sonic.net> wrote:
> In article <a5puq25tc3mprhmeucp5fr1shd7p3gip8g@4ax.com>, feebo wrote: > >> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 06:12:33 -0800, Don Bruder <dakidd@sonic.net> >> wrote: >> >> >In article <1168954613.549784.198800@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, >> > number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote: >> > >> >> I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 >> >> Db.a. How loud is this? >> > >> >Quite.
correct? hearing damage doesn't occur at 75 dBA Bye. Jasen
"BobG"

> Hey Phil.... I've hear some folks say 6dB is 'twice as loud' and others > say 10db is twice as loud. What's your opinion?
** 10 dB is generally taken to be the increase in SPL required to make the majority of listeners declare ".... that is now twice as loud". ........ Phil
Hey Phil.... I've hear some folks say 6dB is 'twice as loud' and others
say 10db is twice as loud. What's your opinion?

"Eeysore"

> Twice the power doesn't sound twice as loud though.
** FUCK OFF - POMMY CUNT !! ....... Phil

Bob Masta wrote:

> chuck <nospam@nospam.org> wrote: > >Phil Allison wrote: > > > >SNIP > > > >> > >> ** A 3 dB level variation is NOT "twice as loud " - you ass. > >> > >> It is merely a just noticeable increase. > > > >Absolutely correct, Phil. I meant to say twice the sound pressure level. > > > > Actually, it's twice the sound *power*, but only the usual 1.414 times > the *pressure*.
Twice the power doesn't sound twice as loud though. Graham
In article <a5puq25tc3mprhmeucp5fr1shd7p3gip8g@4ax.com>, feebo wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 06:12:33 -0800, Don Bruder <dakidd@sonic.net> > wrote: > > >In article <1168954613.549784.198800@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, > > number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote: > > > >> I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > >> Db.a. How loud is this? > > > >Quite. > > > >> If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match > >> this volume i would be greatful. > > > >Google is your friend. > > > >> Would i require ear protectors? > > > >Yes. > > twat > > *plonk*
<snicker> Now THAT'S funny! A clear, concise, and correct answer gets a plonk. <heheheheh> Just proves that on the internet, idiots (especially anonymous ones) abound. -- Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist, or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow" somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
The sound pressure is analogous to voltage, so a 3 dB increase would
correspond to a ratio of 1.414 in sound pressure and a ratio of 2.0 in
sound power.

Thanks, Bob. Hopefully I'm recalibrated now!

Chuck

Actually, it's twice the sound *power*, but only the usual 1.414 times the *pressure*. Best regards, Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis www.daqarta.com Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator Science with your sound card!