How loud is 75 Db.a

Started by January 16, 2007
I have purchased an industrial shredder.  The noise it produces is 75
Db.a.  How loud is this?  If anyone could give me any exmples of
popular sounds which match this volume i would be greatful.  Would i
require ear protectors?

It would be easier for me to switch the machine on, but i do not have
phase 3 power in the unit i am in.  I will have in the new premises.

Hope someone can help.

Regards,
Anthony

<number1hatfielder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

** Groper alert !

> I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > Db.a. How loud is this?
** Similar to a kitchen blender, electric drill or vacuum cleaner at a few metres range. Kinda annoying to talk over. ...... Phil
In article <1168954613.549784.198800@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
 number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > Db.a. How loud is this?
Quite.
> If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match > this volume i would be greatful.
Google is your friend.
> Would i require ear protectors?
Yes. -- Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist, or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow" somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Why don't you turn it on and listen to it??? Maybe you can hear how
loud it is and then you know how loud 75db is.....(Did I really have to
think of this myself???)

Don Bruder wrote:
> In article <1168954613.549784.198800@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, > number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote: > > > I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > > Db.a. How loud is this? > > Quite. > > > If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match > > this volume i would be greatful. > > Google is your friend. > > > Would i require ear protectors? > > Yes. > > -- > Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist, > or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow" > somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my > ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
In article <1168958930.250289.176170@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
 jdlemme@gmail.com wrote:

<top-post fixed - learn to post correctly, would ya?>

> Don Bruder wrote: > > In article <1168954613.549784.198800@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, > > number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote: > > > > > I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > > > Db.a. How loud is this? > > > > Quite. > > > > > If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match > > > this volume i would be greatful. > > > > Google is your friend. > > > > > Would i require ear protectors? > > > > Yes. > > Why don't you turn it on and listen to it??? Maybe you can hear how > loud it is and then you know how loud 75db is.....(Did I really have to > think of this myself???)
He said he doesn't have the right power conenction where he is currently. -- Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist, or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow" somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Normal Breathing 10dB...
Soft whisper (at 5m) 30dB...
Normal Conversation 60dB
Busy Traffic 70dB
Average Factory 80dB
Niagra Falls 90dB

number1hatfielder@ hotmail.com wrote:
>...[examples] of popular sounds which match this volume... > Anthony
http://www.google.com/search?q=intitle:giyf+engine+-jargondb+-Mustang http://www.google.com/search?q=loudness+decibels+chart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel
Simply reading my message would tell you that this is not possible.
Did i really have to point THIS out myself?.  No one else had the same
problem.

jdlemme@gmail.com wrote:
> Why don't you turn it on and listen to it??? Maybe you can hear how > loud it is and then you know how loud 75db is.....(Did I really have to > think of this myself???) > > > > > > Don Bruder wrote: > > In article <1168954613.549784.198800@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, > > number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote: > > > > > I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > > > Db.a. How loud is this? > > > > Quite. > > > > > If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match > > > this volume i would be greatful. > > > > Google is your friend. > > > > > Would i require ear protectors? > > > > Yes. > > > > -- > > Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist, > > or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow" > > somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my > > ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
number1hatfielder@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have purchased an industrial shredder. The noise it produces is 75 > Db.a. How loud is this? If anyone could give me any exmples of > popular sounds which match this volume i would be greatful. Would i > require ear protectors? > > It would be easier for me to switch the machine on, but i do not have > phase 3 power in the unit i am in. I will have in the new premises. > > Hope someone can help. > > Regards, > Anthony >
Interesting question, Anthony. Unfortunately, your question is unanswerable as posed. Suppose you could measure the sound pressure level of your machine. What do think it would be? Surely it would depend on how far from the machine you made the measurement. Across town, you wouldn't be able to detect any sound pressure from it. The shredder datasheet most likely provides information on the distance from the machine at which the measurement of 75 dBA was made. You cannot directly compare 75 dBA from the shredder to a vacuum cleaner, because in the case of the shredder, the distance at which the measurement was made has not been given, and in the case of the vacuum cleaner, neither the sound pressure level, nor the distance at which that level (if it existed) would have been measured. What you need in order to answer your question is: dBA of shredder at x feet and dBA of vacuum cleaner at y feet. With these numbers, you can then find how much more (or less) loud the shredder is than the vacuum cleaner when both are at some distance z from you. I think that is what you are looking for. If you'd like to see how the math is done, you might check out the following link: http://www.engin.umich.edu/class/ioe433/Noise/NoisePbs.pdf NoisePbs.pdf (application/pdf Object) Hope that helps. Chuck ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
"chuck"

> > You cannot directly compare 75 dBA from the shredder to a vacuum cleaner, > because in the case of the shredder, the distance at which the measurement > was made has not been given, and in the case of the vacuum cleaner, > neither the sound pressure level, nor the distance at which that level (if > it existed) would have been measured. >
** Just for fun, I measured my bog standard vacuum cleaner with a Rode SPL meter. Distance - 1.2 metres. Location - my workshop. The SPL reading was 74 dBA. QED ....... Phil