Storage trays for electronic components

Started by Hamad bin Turki al Salami April 26, 2008
I have a few dozen kinds of expensive electronic components that I
buy and sell, including various kinds of unusual memory simms and
processors. I want to be able to keep them organized in trays that
I can store and display.

I was thinking of using compartmented wooden trays for this, but I
haven't found any with compartments that are the right size (at least
4.25 inches or so for memory simms).

There are trays that people use for displaying watches, bracelets,
etc. that have the right sized compartments, but they're usually
made of other materials, like velvet, velveteen, plastic, etc.

I'm not sure which of these materials is safe for ESD sensitive
devices.

Any opinions or ideas?

Thanks
Jameco still sells these http://www.google.com/images?q=bug.box+compartments+Jameco
JeffM wrote:
> Hamad bin Turki al Salami wrote: >> I have a few dozen kinds of expensive electronic components[...] >> I want to be able to keep them organized in trays >> that I can store and display. > > Jameco still sells these > http://www.google.com/images?q=bug.box+compartments+Jameco
That would be perfect, except that it seems to be too small. The compartments are only big enough for a 16 pin DIP. For a 72 pin simm, I need compartments that are more than 4 inches long.
Use small to medium sized anti static bags, and keep those in cardboard boxes. -- http://improve-usenet.org/index.html Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET with porn and junk commercial SPAM If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account: http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm
"Hamad bin Turki al Salami" <hamad@no.me.spam> wrote in message
> JeffM wrote: >> Hamad bin Turki al Salami wrote: >>> I have a few dozen kinds of expensive electronic components[...] >>> I want to be able to keep them organized in trays >>> that I can store and display. >> >> Jameco still sells these >> http://www.google.com/images?q=bug.box+compartments+Jameco > > That would be perfect, except that it seems to be too small. The > compartments are only big enough for a 16 pin DIP. For a 72 pin > simm, I need compartments that are more than 4 inches long. >
I have found that index card (3" x 5") files work well for storage of small parts. I put SMT components in coin envelopes, which are easy to label and inexpensive. Also, such card files can often be found very cheap or free, at places like libraries that are converting to computerized indexes. If you can find some cassette tape cases, they might be about the right size for your components. You can use aluminum foil to wrap the components for static protection. Paul

The Bug Box system also includes trays without partitions. I got a set from Jameco ages ago but they don't seem to carry them now. One place that does is http://elexp.com/ics_tray.htm A size up https://webvia.techni-tool.com/VIA/index.jsp Or super-sized <http://www.all-spec.com/1/viewitem/QSC48SCON/ALLSPEC/prodinfo/w3pathÊt> -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA